Better Call Saul

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Lookin' good! I wonder if the story they were detailing toward the end of the trailer is just the pilot or something that will span the season.

My assumption was that it's going to be the ongoing story (pretty sure his brother is a recurring character), but it is a two hour primere so ot could just be the jumping off point for Saul's becoming. Looks like Saul, er, Jimmy, is already a black sheep and he's going to learn the hard way that being the white knight only gets you fucked over in the eyes of the law, so instead of embracing whatever ideals and redeeming qualities he does have to be a talented criminal lawyer, he's going to become the criminal lawyer we all know and love. I'm assuming that one of his major triumphs in the series will be destroying the law firm that may destroy his brother, and obviously looks down on him even before he embraces being Saul Goodman.

Walter said:
Lookin' good! I wonder if the story they were detailing toward the end of the trailer is just the pilot or something that will span the season.

Griffith said:
My assumption was that it's going to be the ongoing story (pretty sure his brother is a recurring character), but it is a two hour primere so it could just be the jumping off point for Saul's becoming.

I'm would say it's a starting point for Saul's adventure and not so much what Jesse was for Walt.
I think his brother is going to be more a Skyler type of character.

Walter said:
Looks like Saul, er, Jimmy, is already a black sheep and he's going to learn the hard way that being the white knight only gets you fucked over in the eyes of the law, so instead of embracing whatever ideals and redeeming qualities he does have to be a talented criminal lawyer, he's going to become the criminal lawyer we all know and love. I'm assuming that one of his major triumphs in the series will be destroying the law firm that may destroy his brother, and obviously looks down on him even before he embraces being Saul Goodman.

From what we saw in that trailer, it seems to be a exploration of the major themes of BB but in a different/parallel manner. So a powerless man’s addiction to the ‘high’ of increasing male potency. It'll chronicle the way a man lost his soul in order to hold onto a misplaced sense of self, becoming increasingly manipulative, deceptive and delusional, and similarly rationalize one bad decision after another for the greater good.

Griffith

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/yes-its-good-amcs-big-better-call-saul-bet-pays-off/

Sounds promising, like this is heading in the direction we hoped for rather than the one we feared (as illustrated in the piece).

Griffith said:
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/yes-its-good-amcs-big-better-call-saul-bet-pays-off/

Sounds promising, like this is heading in the direction we hoped for rather than the one we feared (as illustrated in the piece).

Thanks ! Can't wait :guts:

Griffith

So, did everybody Call Saul? :guts:

It was a promosing start, not the fireworks of the Bad primiere (impossible), but just when you thought the stakes might not get high enough... Anyway, a very solid foundation and an impressive debut considering (didn't feel like a first episode =). I like that while it didn't rely on its predesessor to succeed, it certainly didn't shy away from it either (!). Speaking of which, and maybe we'll get the answer tomorrow, but I wonder if that intro is just that or if we'll revisit it occasionally (kind of like season 2 of BB). Definitely looking forward to episode 2.

I just finished watching it. Wow! I thought it was great. Call me crazy, but I think they nailed the "feel" of Breaking Bad. It feels like it's a part of the Breaking Bad world as opposed to most spin-offs where they take characters and superficial details of the original series and force them into a series that doesn't match the original's atmosphere, creating something that's awkward at best and complete trash at worst.

Tonight definitely can't get here quickly enough.

Griffith said:
I wonder if that intro is just that or if we'll revisit it occasionally (kind of like season 2 of BB).

Man I hope they revisit it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have cable TV, but as soon as a legitimate option to view it presents itself, I'll check it out. :daiba:

Griffith

Skeleton said:
Call me crazy, but I think they nailed the "feel" of Breaking Bad. It feels like it's a part of the Breaking Bad world

Well, that's no accident, I was immediately struck by the fact that aside from the principal cast, Saul excepted, the credits are virtually identical to Bad's. This could have easilly just been a Saul-centric episode of the series, but I'm already pulled in to this arc. After a bit of setup there's a lot going on already.

Skeleton said:

I'm sure they will even if there's currently no plan to, but is there already a plan or parallel story in mind there? In any case, I'd love to see more
postcards from Omaha. =) When he was channel surfing I was waiting with bated breath to see if there'd be news of Walt's demise and how he'd react.

Walter said:
I don't have cable TV, but as soon as a legitimate option to view it presents itself, I'll check it out. :daiba:

I'm surprised they aren't hosting it on AMC.com as they've done with past season/series primieres.

Update: Apparently that is now the case on amazon and itunes!

Griffith said:
So, did everybody Call Saul? :guts:

Speaking of which, and maybe we'll get the answer tomorrow, but I wonder if that intro is just that or if we'll revisit it occasionally (kind of like season 2 of BB). Definitely looking forward to episode 2.

I think there's a good chance they will, at least I'm hoping so, because that scene really hooked me and eased any reservations I had about the show. Not to mention it was pretty tense and seemed to have more to say than what we've seen. That said, I'm kind of thinking they won't do it every episode a la season 2 of BB, but maybe more of a slow reveal throughout the series. But who knows? I just feel like with the cliffhanger from last episode, it might make more sense to jump right back into the meat of the story with episode 2.

I was really quite satisfied with this episode as an opener. I was pretty worried that it might not meet my standards coming off of Breaking Bad, but it was solid and had me engrossed the whole episode. Definitely a good sign when I'm craving more. And it really had a good balance of self referential material while still being able to hold it's own. I'm really loving the tone too, serious and high-stakes but not quite as bleak as BB, and had quite a few audible laughs. Lot's of questions and hooks while not being too mysterious, like the
scene with Chuck and his weird need to avoid any electromagnetism. Is he allergic to it or is it some weird heart condition? I'm really intrigued to see how that plays out and how Jimmy exploits the situation. And how it ties in with Tuco, if at all. And I really wanna know more about Kim and what Saul's relationship to her is. That scene where she's smoking in the parking garage and Saul snatches it after kicking the hell out of the trash bin and just ahh what a cool character building scene, might've been one of my favorites.
The stakes are really ramping up and I'm so excited! :ubik: Can't wait for tonight

Griffith

Sarcomere said:
Lot's of questions and hooks while not being too mysterious, like the
scene with Chuck and his weird need to avoid any electromagnetism. Is he allergic to it or is it some weird heart condition? I'm really intrigued to see how that plays out and how Jimmy exploits the situation.

It seems that "electromagnetic hypersensitivity" is more, if not purely, a mental illness, though the physical symtoms that manifest are apparently real. So, unless he seeks that kind of treatment he's not getting better.

Sarcomere said:
And how it ties in with Tuco, if at all.

Let's talk about that!
When those boys really started getting aggressive with that old lady and went in her house I immediately thought, no kidding, "Heh, it's probably Tuco's house." But that was just a stand-in for "gangsters/last guy you'd want to cross", but then it really was Tuco! That was great, and a nice indication of the show's sense of humor, which I didnt find to be much different in tone to BB. I think it does give them creative license to do things exactly like that, "...but then they run into the worst sort of crazy gangster! Like Tuco! ... Fuck it, lets just make it Tuco!"

Sarcomere said:
And I really wanna know more about Kim and what Saul's relationship to her is. That scene where she's smoking in the parking garage and Saul snatches it after kicking the hell out of the trash bin and just ahh what a cool character building scene, might've been one of my favorites.[/spoiler]

Yeah, that was very intimate but strange and probably the one most intriguing thing to me.
Saul's special lady(!), or just his fuckin' lady friend? Booty call Saul? Either way, didn't look too healthy a relationship.

Griffith said:
It seems that "electromagnetic hypersensitivity" is more, if not purely, a mental illness, though the physical symtoms that manifest are apparently real. So, unless he seeks that kind of treatment he's not getting better.

Ah, true. I thought there might be some credence to him actually having a physical ailment, but now that I think about it, it's pretty unlikely considering how the other characters speak of him and his strange requests. Either way, I rather doubted he was going to get better and be able to return, but I'm more just intrigued by Saul being able to hold back and handle the situation semi-tactfully and with some degree of respect. It's almost like he's the mentor Saul never wanted.

Griffith said:
When those boys really started getting aggressive with that old lady and went in her house I immediately thought, no kidding, "Heh, it's probably Tuco's house." But that was just a stand-in for "gangsters/last guy you'd want to cross", but then it really was Tuco! That was great, and a nice indication of the show's sense of humor, which I didnt find to be much different in tone to BB. I think it does give them creative license to do things exactly like that, "...but then they run into the worst sort of crazy gangster! Like Tuco! ... Fuck it, lets just make it Tuco!"

Oh boy.. when she called for her miho and they were just like... "that means money, right?" I fuckin lost it. Tuco hadn't even crossed my mind, I assumed it was going to be a lower stakes situation, I mean obviously those two were as good as dead, but the suspense really just jumpstarted with his reveal. I'm so glad to see him come back into the fold. Never thought I'd say that. :ganishka: But yeah, it'll be really exciting to see more reveals like that and well placed crossovers with BB.
I can tell they're having a lot of fun with this show, which is a pretty good sign for the future, I think.

Griffith said:
Booty call Saul?

Love it!

Griffith

They're definitely having fun with it, and if the early reviews are any indication it's going to continue the strong start.

FYI, the primiere is now available free on amazon and itunes. :daiba:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to a tip from Griff, I was able to start watching Saul on Amazon.

This is a little premature, since I wasn't able to finish watching the first episode yet. But five minutes in, I immediately regretted throwing shade on this show when it was first announced :farnese: That intro was compelling — skirting past the obvious comedy the character brings to the table and earnestly cutting right to the bones of him. Also, I mean sheesh, a whole segment dedicated to an offhand comment made in an episode of Breaking Bad? It's basically fan service, and I ate it right up. I'm sure that wasn't the last we see of that Saul in the future. It felt like it was more than a one-use framing device, to me.

XionHorsey

Hi! Hi!
So, did everybody Call Saul?

I did, but was a little late as I was busy fiddling with mods. Anyway, it wasn't what I expected at ALL. I certainly didn't expect a certain someone to actually BE the certain someone. I thought it was a different character. Oh no, it's HIM alright and wow. Honestly, this show wasn't what I expected at all. I love it! Love the cinnabun reference too! Love that place.

I immediately regretted throwing shade on this show when it was first announced.

You're not alone on that. The Something Awful crowd had a similar sentiment.

Griffith

Walter said:
This is a little premature, since I wasn't able to finish watching the first episode yet. But five minutes in, I immediately regretted throwing shade on this show when it was first announced :farnese:

You're going to feel even worse by the end of episode 2; I feel foolish just having had cautious optimism.

Walter said:
That intro was compelling — skirting past the obvious comedy the character brings to the table and earnestly cutting right to the bones of him. Also, I mean sheesh, a whole segment dedicated to an offhand comment made in an episode of Breaking Bad? It's basically fan service, and I ate it right up.

Yeah, it's important to note they're not avoiding that at all, but they're not using it as a crutch either, and they're certainly not stuck up in their head's fretting about "should we/shouldn't we" with this stuff (which would come through awkwardly on screen). Vince Gilligan's pragmatic "aw shucks" approach to television entertainment is working to perfection thus far.

Walter said:
I'm sure that wasn't the last we see of that Saul in the future. It felt like it was more than a one-use framing device, to me.
XionHorsey said:
Anyway, it wasn't what I expected at ALL. I certainly didn't expect a certain someone to actually BE the certain someone. I thought it was a different character. Oh no, it's HIM alright and wow. Honestly, this show wasn't what I expected at all. I love it!

Imagine if this continues and they get brazen (in my mind Gus is almost already an inevitability at this point)? This whole "Saul comedy show" bag of goods they sold the public already clearly looks like it was a cover to produce a backdoor Breaking Bad prequel/sequel without the impossible expectations that would entail, "We just need to keep the heat off until it airtime." I mean, don't get me wrong, it's early, but already I WANT TO BELIEVE. :ganishka:

XionHorsey said:
You're not alone on that. The Something Awful crowd had a similar sentiment.

Jesus, "Geist Editor" and "Corin Tucker's Stalker" still regularly update!? The place hasn't changed much since I last checked in. Including when I tried to lurk the Saul thread on the forum and they tried to get me fired with an unexpected video/sound clip instead. Oh, somethingawful.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Jesus, "Geist Editor" and "Corin Tucker's Stalker" still regularly update!? The place hasn't changed much since I last checked in.

People probably think the same thing about this place :badbone:

Griffith

Walter said:
People probably think the same thing about this place :badbone:

:ganishka:

Derek Smart's Desktop Commander: http://youtu.be/tIn1_9YvGds

I'm sadly sort of proud I completely get this, even though it just mean I'm an aged nerd. Anyway, back on topic, here's an interview with a somewhat beleaguered but honest Bob Odenkirk about Better Call Saul:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-andy-greenwald-podcast-bob-odenkirk-on-better-call-saul/

This is the most revealing piece of publicity I've seen about the show and what led up to and went into it (nice little behind the scenes look at the genesis and escalation of the idea by Gilligan and co.). If you're a Breaking Bad fan it's pretty damn exciting, let alone reassuring.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I'm hoping to catch the premiere tonight. I'm not sure I want to pay for each episode as it comes out, but after reading the thread I'm really excited about the show now.

Also, this apparently isn't a secret as I've seen people discussing it as far back as 2012, but did anyone else realize Saul Goodman
is a pun on "It's all good, man"?

Because I just found out and I think it's awesome.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Update on my end: I'm caught up. I'm not in LOVE with the show, but it's a fun successor to Breaking Bad. I liked it enough to buy the season pass on Amazon, so I can follow along with the releases.

I really hope they start building the cast a little more. Not that impressed with any of the actors so far except for Odenkirk.

Delta Phi said:
Also, this apparently isn't a secret as I've seen people discussing it as far back as 2012, but did anyone else realize Saul Goodman
is a pun on "It's all good, man"?

Because I just found out and I think it's awesome.

I'm pretty sure people were joking about that during Breaking Bad's run, actually.

In other name news, there are quite a few attorneys named James McGill. I wonder what they think of the show? :void:

Griffith

Walter said:
Update on my end: I'm caught up. I'm not in LOVE with the show, but it's a fun successor to Breaking Bad.

Yeah, it's solid and especially polished for being the opening episodes in a new series. I was really impressed with how every seemingly unimportant/unrelated thing was connected and coming together by the end of the second episode (sound familiar? =). If I'd have changed anything, it might have been front-loading the especially dramatic
Tuco
material into the first episode for maximum impact and developing the rest of Saul's world and supporting cast in the second. The second episode was definitely stronger overall, but then maybe it needed the first episode for that (plus then it would have seemed to be aping Bad even more). Anyway, I'm obviously thrilled by its baseline quality and potential, but would be happy to continue watching even if it doesn't become anything more than Breaking Bad's fun little brother.

Walter said:
I really hope they start building the cast a little more. Not that impressed with any of the actors so far except for Odenkirk.

Really? I agree with the sentiment that nobody stood out much besides Odenkirk, but if anything I felt like there were too many characters. Also, give the current cast some time, they still need to develop and have something to do besides fit archetypes for Saul's plot needs; who thought much of Dean Norris the obnoxious brother-in-law at the start of BB? The one I'm most intrigued by is Nacho, Saul's potential new business partner.

Walter said:
In other name news, there are quite a few attorneys named James McGill. I wonder what they think of the show? :void:

No such thing as bad publicity? :???:

Walter said:
Update on my end: I'm caught up. I'm not in LOVE with the show, but it's a fun successor to Breaking Bad.

I feel the same so far. For me I think it was also because I was expecting something super from the first episode like a Twin Peaks or The Wire or True Detective or Fargo where it kinda sucks you in right away. But, the show will be a grower I hope.

I liked parts of the episode where we see Saul in situations where
he's completely out of his depth

Just realized I haven't watched Mijo yet. I missed it, dang!

Walter said:
I'm not in LOVE with the show, but it's a fun successor to Breaking Bad. I liked it enough to buy the season pass on Amazon, so I can follow along with the releases.

Personally, i find hard to be in love at first sight for any tv show. It takes at least two or three episodes to build a solid and clear feel. But i like the first sequence, the opening and the tone of the show. Considering the fact that knowing the character is kind of a double-edged sword, the result provide more than an honest follow up.

During the sequence when
in the desert Saul (gosh it's feel so weird to call him James or Jimmy !) is talking some sense into Tuco, i was thinking a lot of this scene from 5x01 : Live free or Die : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob7_LkZWjaI

Walter said:

Except for
Michael Mando who plays Nancho Varga, also well known for his role as Vaas in Far Cry 3,
i feel the same way.
I found myself being very touch by Odenkirk's performance. I love him for his clown side in BB, but i love him even more for his naive and gentle side.

Griffith

So... three eps in and the plot's again turned in a different direction than I was expecting at the end of episode 2.

It looks to me like the wife is the brains behind this operation, and Jimmy's going to need to come up with some mutually beneficial deal for them to come in (that also gets Nacho off the hook and compensates him for his lost income). There's scenarios in play here where Jimmy could potentially play hero lawyer, get the family off if not help them get away with some of the money, and he can save his own skin, but likely with little profit to show for it. It could be more straightforward than that, but it could also be quite the juggling act, which I'm definitely hoping for.

Alright, since everyone else here is ignoring the best new show on TV to talk about long doomed movie franchises and whatnot, I'm going to passive-aggressively drop this conversation starter in here:

SAUL GOODMAN SERIES STARTS OUT ALREADY BETTER THAN BREAKING BAD

OMG IS IT TRUE!? Discuss. Or you could just discuss the excellent third episode on its own merits. You guys are worrying me. :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Alright, since everyone else here is ignoring the best new show on TV to talk about long doomed movie franchises and whatnot, I'm going to passive-aggressively drop this conversation starter in here:

I haven't had a chance to watch the new episode yet. Busy week :sad:

Top Bottom