Death Battle: Guts vs Nightmare

https://youtu.be/mGNWRaM3zX4

Here we have the epic battle between our one and only Guts vs Soul Caliber's "Nightmare".

This is a video you don't want to miss, and while the hosts get one or two very small details wrong, they did his lore and his character justice!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A few of those errors:

"in the realm of midland" Guts' popularity as the Black Swordsman isn't limited to Midland.
"flamethrower" There is no flamethrower in his cannon arm. It's primarily used as a cannon, though he can strap a repeater-crossbow to it.
"legendary hermit Godo" lol
"weighs 400 lbs" Based on what, exactly?
"killing over 1,000 demons - no, I did not stutter" Not sure what this guy's counting, because I'm the one who created the Guts Kill Roster, and the number of apostles Guts has confirmed as killed is negligibly in the range of 5-10. Total kills for every type of creature (including crazy shit like the fish in Vol 14 and the snake in Vol 15) is 1190.

Walter said:
A few of those errors:

"in the realm of midland" Guts' popularity as the Black Swordsman isn't limited to Midland.
"flamethrower" There is no flamethrower in his cannon arm. It's primarily used as a cannon, though he can strap a repeater-crossbow to it.
"legendary hermit Godo" lol
"weighs 400 lbs" Based on what, exactly?
"killing over 1,000 demons - no, I did not stutter" Not sure what this guy's counting, because I'm the one who created the Guts Kill Roster, and the number of apostles Guts has confirmed as killed is negligibly in the range of 5-10. Total kills for every type of creature (including crazy shit like the fish in Vol 14 and the snake in Vol 15) is 1190.

Thanks for specifying those! I was seriously confused about the flamethrower bit....

Maybe it's just me but I've never had the patience or interest in watching those kind of videos. But I thank this topic cos without it I wouldn't have known of Walter's neat creation of a kill roster :zodd:.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Maybe it's just me but I've never had the patience or interest in watching those kind of videos. But I thank this topic cos without it I wouldn't have known of Walter's neat creation of a kill roster :zodd:.

Wow, really? You should check out the other appendices in the Berserk encyclopedia.

Mammon

Mangoku army
Ah funny, I was registering to post it :serpico:

Entertaining as always, it's the kind of channels that I'm subscribed to just for fun, not for "serious business" like this forum
(I mean that as a compliment in case it wasn't clear, sorry, Frenchy here, my English can we awkward at times)
and I often find small mistakes in their videos when it's a character/universe that I know very well. But that doesn't bother me too much.

They always say themselves that their videos shouldn't be taken too seriously and/or as "sources" during debates
(since the Goku vs Superman one, that generated the biggest DB fanboys vs DC fanboys war on youtube, it's still going on and so far neither side made any advance at all)
and that they have so many universes to study for their videos that false "facts" can appear.

Honestly when they announced the fight at the end of the last video, I was pumped but expecting way more mistakes, but that wasn't too bad.

One thing that bugged me is that during the fight, was that Guts's arm cannon is on his right arm at times (like when he shoots Nightmare at point blank), and sometimes on his left... but I'm not too savvy in video/sprites-making stuff, so I guess it was simply to make the animation easier...

Damn, I had been searching all over for that "Guts Kill Roster", a friend linked in to me a while ago and I has forgotten where it was; that's... amazing :isidro:
I guess the hosts counted all the non-human and non-animal things that Guts has killed so far, and called them "demons" to simplify.
Heck, he probably used your stuff to count it :carcus:

At the end of the vid: additional research team => SamuraiSpartan7000, AkumaTh, psb123, Max0fFewtrades, LousyTactitian, ultraguy, darkhyrulelord

I just made a research to see if any of these guys were registered here (yeah I'm bored at work), but nope... doesn't mean they can't lurk of course. I'll ask in the comments if they used this website for their researches out of curiosity.

/rant

Keep up the good work guyz :daiba:

Mammon said:
One thing that bugged me is that during the fight, was that Guts's arm cannon is on his right arm at times (like when he shoots Nightmare at point blank), and sometimes on his left... but I'm not too savvy in video/sprites-making stuff, so I guess it was simply to make the animation easier...

Yeah, cosmetic things like that tend to get ignored. It's much easier for the artist to render one sprite (and all of it's respective animation frames) with one direction in mind, and just flip the image when they're facing the other way. (That, and this show does have a release schedule to keep on track, so they don't have all the time in the world to render a new sprite just because the character is facing the other way).

I was actually only really bothered when his white streak was on the wrong side :guts:

Mammon

Mangoku army
Oh ok, thank you for the explanations. So they would have had to redo the sprites every time Guts faces the other way, makes sense that they didn't, they already put so much time into this. And it's free entertainment, not gonna complain...

I was actually only really bothered when his white streak was on the wrong side :guts:
Haha, indeed. Did you catch Chucks Norris and Segata Sanshiro fighting in the background? :carcus:

Thanks again!
Mammon

Walter said:
Wow, really? You should check out the other appendices in the Berserk encyclopedia.

Guilty as charged :farnese:. Even without a new Berserk episode, there's honestly so much content on a daily basis on the board and I often find myself playing catch-up to it. I'm going to go through those appendices soon, thanks for pointing it out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mammon said:
They always say themselves that their videos shouldn't be taken too seriously and/or as "sources" during debates
(since the Goku vs Superman one, that generated the biggest DB fanboys vs DC fanboys war on youtube, it's still going on and so far neither side made any advance at all)

The Goku vs Superman "debate" has been going on for over 15 years. It started long before YouTube even existed.

Mammon

Mangoku army
Aazealh said:
The Goku vs Superman "debate" has been going on for over 15 years. It started long before YouTube even existed.

Well yes absolutely, which is why I specified "on Youtube". Sorry if it was unclear.
Right now, on the biggest DBZ english-speaking forums like the Kanzenshuu forum, 4chan's boards /a/ and /co/ , or even the Youtube comments section, fans with way too much time in their hands are still debating this fantasy match-up.

Younger/newer fans can happily keep on calling each others horrible names, continuing the war their big brothers started many years ago, using the exact same arguments, and leaving the boards mad.
The only difference is that now, this Death Battle is a constantly referenced...
But it doesn't matter, neither side will ever convince the other one that they are the ones who are right.
Even if Akira Toriyama himself said "Yeah, Superman would totally kick Goku's rear", fanboys wouldn't concern themselves with such a trivial detail and will keep arguing.
After all, Toriyama made several mistakes/inconsistencies in his star manga, so why should his, the opinion of the character, should hold any weight? (and to be perfectly honest, I really don't think he gives a damn either way)

Can't wait for our children to use the amazing technology that will be available to them only to continue this debate. :ubik:

Top Bottom