Exanima (early access)

Exanima has been released on Steam!
Check out this new trailer:

https://youtu.be/WuwSKCahTWU

Sui Generis / Exanima are being developed in tandem by an indie studio, Bare Mettle Entertainment. Low fantasy setting with a unique physics engine which really brings the game to life. It boasts a pretty steep learning curve due to it's interesting control scheme; this makes it very engaging while every fight feels personal.
My personal favorite is the lighting, it's pretty awesome.

Exanima is a rogue-like dungeon experience to hold Kickstarter backers over until the full, open-world release of Sui Generis. It provides a near complete experience except for the overworld and a resurrection mechanic that will be unique to the main character. I've been playing the combat demo for over a year and the dungeon crawler alpha was released a few months ago. Currently, it's extremely close to a full release of Exanima which will be on Steam as well as offered from their website DRM-free (www.baremettle.com).

Here you can see some armor variants, there are no numbers behind armor. Protection is based off coverage and material which means an unguarded face suffers full damage while a lightly protected region would only partially absorb/redistribute damage. The shape and weight of your weapon are very important, as are the forces you impart with your body. Armor stacks meaningfully so you can wear under clothes, padded gambeson, chain tunic, plated mail and various other pieces to accent your coverage.

SGD01.jpg

More images:

SGD03.jpg

Last but not least, here's some overworld:
SGC06.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Sui Generis / ExAnima

So it's Baldur's Gate meets the Soul series or something like that? It looks great in the videos you posted in the other thread, but the combat seems somewhat tedious to me.

I would lean more heavily to Baldur's Gate and even that's a stretch. The devs are fond of the Ultima series and it's influence has been in hinting.
Admittedly, the game is not for everyone. Many have been turned off by the control schemes (exploration, combat) which you need to juggle in the dungeon crawler. The primary complaint is movement which is WASD and relative to your cursor. So W is always "Advance Step" while S is always "Retreat Step." Effectively the system allows you to step in any direction, dashing uses the same principles.
This gets confusing with changing player perspectives. I could go on but I don't think it helps to throw out all the games weaknesses when it does so much right. What would make you interested in an isometric-RPG? Is there any pre-established fondness for the genre?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

TwoPumpWarrior said:
I would lean more heavily to Baldur's Gate and even that's a stretch. The devs are fond of the Ultima series and it's influence has been in hinting.

Well Ultima's fine too. =)

TwoPumpWarrior said:
Admittedly, the game is not for everyone. Many have been turned off by the control schemes (exploration, combat) which you need to juggle in the dungeon crawler. The primary complaint is movement which is WASD and relative to your cursor. So W is always "Advance Step" while S is always "Retreat Step." Effectively the system allows you to step in any direction, dashing uses the same principles.
This gets confusing with changing player perspectives. I could go on but I don't think it helps to throw out all the games weaknesses when it does so much right. What would make you interested in an isometric-RPG? Is there any pre-established fondness for the genre?

I was a day one backer for Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera, so I think you can consider me a fan of isometric RPGs in general. I don't have much free time these days though so I have to carefully choose what I get into. The control scheme as you're describing it sounds a bit peculiar indeed, probably more appropriate for a controller than for K&M.

Cautiously optimistic for Numenera, the art style is really attractive though (:

Well I suppose I only described half the controls which would be strange. I think the system really shines when you can harmonize your footwork with the cursor. There are many subtle implications of this design, such as adopting different fighing stances to better suit the situation. Combining dashes and turns to deliver powerful blows, sometimes capable of flooring the opponent.
All attacks are done by holding LMB and a magic system, Thaumaturgy, will be bound to RMB. Thaumaturgy isn't implemented yet but it's close. They are mostly support spells but can be used in different ways. Recently the devs prototyped jumping which led to Body Thaumaturgy augmented "super jumping". You too can now defy gravity like SK.

Edit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BuOzmyED5qA&t=3m0s
this shows some overworld play and a Displacement thaumaturgy and two applications. They have hinted that Displacement will allow for quick swap between items, but you only start with one innate Thaumaturgic ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvgDcygylbY
This is a shot at the final expert arena combatant.

I was day one for Sui Generis, the original project. The most basic design philosophy is to create immersion, which I think they do quite well when everything is in motion.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I was really impressed with what I saw of the videos. I love the way the camera works in the game, and also the slow, methodical combat.

A new patch was released yesterday. They are getting ready to finally implement the skill system and expand the dungeon beyond it's current 3 levels.
The arena mode will be somewhat revamped as well, they plan for all arena stuff to be in the overworld.

Whenever it releases (end of april), they'll issue steam codes around. I'll receive two and already have a DRM-free copy as well. But hell, you get two games for $15 right now from their website and guaranteed steam code.

Re: Sui Generis / ExAnima (now on Steam!)

So ExAnima released on Steam. This has sorta opened a recent wave of communication from the devs. At this point, co-op is a priority as it will add the most value to the current game. PvP is definitely possible but would rely on 0 latency to perform well. They'll add it but it'd be best saved for LANs if possible. However, you aren't trying to kill each other in co-op so it works out great. Still waiting for ETA. But it will probably be wildly entertaining with a friend.

The first skill system will be implemented in a week. It will cover some basic combat techniques, some of which have been innate since day 1. That means you will start without any combat experience and will need to train to learn even to parry.

Steam Community is pretty bent about the game right now. It's a hard game no matter your level of skill but I think it's fun, rewarding, and most of all engaging. Seeing it in action always helps get an idea so streams might be suggested. Actually playing it is rather intense or even overwhelming at times.

Top Bottom