Dark Horse to Publish Gigantomakhia (Feb 2016)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-16/dark-horse-adds-giganto-maxia-rg-veda-danganronpa-i-am-a-hero-manga/.88232

Kentarou Miura (Berserk) published the Giganto Maxia mini-series in Hakusensha's Young Animal magazine in 2013-2014. The series is set in a world 100 million years in the future. Dark Horse will release the one-volume series in February 2016.

Is that really how we should be spelling it...?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Is that really how we should be spelling it...?

It mirrors the way Miura himself spelled it on the first page of the series: "ΓIΓANTO MAXIA". I found it fitting that it was in Greek at the time and I still do. Although whether "Giganto Maxia" is the proper way to transcribe it in English is another matter entirely. I personally still think "Gigantomachia" is the best compromise.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Aazealh said:
It mirrors the way Miura himself spelled it on the first page of the series: "ΓIΓANTO MAXIA". I found it fitting that it was in Greek at the time and I still do. Although whether "Giganto Maxia" is the proper way to transcribe it in English is another matter entirely. I personally still think "Gigantomachia" is the best compromise.

I agree that the Greek is very fitting, but I think "Maxia" is a terrible transliteration. An English "X" (Ex) is not the same as a Greek "X" (Chi). Essentially they've transliterated the entire title except one letter. Not to mention I think it changes the innate interpretation of the title. But I guess it's really just splitting hairs since English doesn't exactly have a direct analogue to the sound a Chi produces (in which I guess the nearest approximation in English would be a "kh" digraph).

Of course, one of my biggest pet peeves is the English misuse of Cyrillic letters.

Edit: I should add that I'm actually really happy about this being localized and I'll definitely be picking it up.

Sygorian

Is free will a thing though?
Delta Phi said:
I agree that the Greek is very fitting, but I think "Maxia" is a terrible transliteration. An English "X" (Ex) is not the same as a Greek "X" (Chi). Essentially they've transliterated the entire title except one letter. Not to mention I think it changes the innate interpretation of the title. But I guess it's really just splitting hairs since English doesn't exactly have a direct analogue to the sound a Chi produces (in which I guess the nearest approximation in English would be a "kh" digraph).

Speaking Greek, I can definitely tell you that indeed the "kh" is the closest sound you get to the letter X, there is no actual phonetical equivalent in latin characters. It's more of a phlegm sound than anything else, as gross as that sounds ! Also I don't really believe there's much offence in having such transliterations as long as they're not way off the mark (see "greek" restaurants around the globe), you can't get a 100% equivalent word anyway. The obvious conceptual and metaphorical homage is enough :serpico:

Top Bottom