Travel/vacation/favorite places

I love to travel and see new places. I thought it might be fun to have a travel/vacation/favorite places thread. Maybe get some good ideas for places to visit or just to hear about some different places.

What are some of your favorite places you've been?

Two of mine are The Elms in Newport, Rhode Island and Carlsbad Caverns National Park in New Mexico. (USA)

elms-newport-ri-exterior.jpg

The Elms is a mansion, or what the wealthy of the day would have called their summer “cottage”. It was built in 1901. The mansion is, of course, very elegant with all the splendor you would expect to find. One of my favorite spots was at the servant's entrance, a round driveway area that's covered by a large canopy of wisteria. There is a great view from up on the rooftop overlooking the grounds and out to the harbor. The grounds around the house are a sight to see, too, with fountains, gardens, and some beautiful old trees.

carlsbad_2100_600x450.jpg

Carlsbad Caverns is nothing short of amazing. The scenery is so different to anything you would see above ground that it felt like being on another planet. The scale of the place is incredible in parts, just enormous. The caverns are also home to hundreds of thousands of bats. I got the chance to see them fly out at dusk while I was there, which was really cool.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Hey man. I actually live in Rhode Island and Newport is about 20 minutes from me. I've visited many of the mansions here over the years for various reasons. Not sure about this one in particular but it might be something I might check out in the future. If you ever find yourself in the area let me know I'd be more than happy to show you around.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I'm in Berlin right now and today I bought some volumes of berserk in german to big up my collection from around the world! I bout 8 volumes (2 volumes in one!) I was glad to see that each volumes were 10euros. We're leaving for amsterdam monday morning!

Oburi said:
Hey man. I actually live in Rhode Island and Newport is about 20 minutes from me. I've visited many of the mansions here over the years for various reasons. Not sure about this one in particular but it might be something I might check out in the future. If you ever find yourself in the area let me know I'd be more than happy to show you around.
I appreciate that Oburi! :serpico: I'm not sure when I'll be out that way again, but that'd be fun. Yeah, I know there are a bunch of mansions there in Newport. A friend and I went to tour them while I was visiting her, but we only had time to see two of them. The other one we saw was called Marble House.

jackson_hurley said:
I'm in Berlin right now and today I bought some volumes of berserk in german to big up my collection from around the world! I bout 8 volumes (2 volumes in one!) I was glad to see that each volumes were 10euros. We're leaving for amsterdam monday morning!
Cool, an international Berserk collection! :guts: Happy travels!

jackson_hurley

JMP said:
Cool, an international Berserk collection! :guts: Happy travels!

Yeah I'm up to 4 volumes in Japanese (didn't go there yet, but my brother in law pass there once in a while) and 2 volumes in french (these one i can get them in Montreal where I live). Of course I have all the volumes in English so far.

jackson_hurley said:
Yeah I'm up to 4 volumes in Japanese (didn't go there yet, but my brother in law pass there once in a while) and 2 volumes in french (these one i can get them in Montreal where I live). Of course I have all the volumes in English so far.
I haven't been to Japan either, but it's on my bucket list.

jackson_hurley

JMP said:
I haven't been to Japan either, but it's on my bucket list.

Yeah one day I'll have to go! This is actually my first trip to europe. We did so far Munich, Prague Berlin. Then monday we're going to Amsterdam and ending the trip in Belgium next week-end. Pretty excited about that!

jackson_hurley said:
Yeah one day I'll have to go! This is actually my first trip to europe. We did so far Munich, Prague Berlin. Then monday we're going to Amsterdam and ending the trip in Belgium next week-end. Pretty excited about that!
I bet! Sounds like an awesome trip!

Top Bottom