Dark Souls III

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
GiantSword Mufasa said:

http://www.vinereport.com/article/dark-souls-3-dlc-release-date-first-dlc-expected-in-fall/11055.htm

If not September, then October, but yeah around Autumn.

D

Dragon Warrior

I just made Guts build/cosplay tribute here in Dark Souls 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHxiyKHLVIs

D

Dragon Warrior

Chest is Undead Legion Armor, I made a tutorial of my build, you can see it right here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPN6n2_24Jk

Bloodborne > DeS >= DaS > DaS 3 > DaS2

In terms of DaS3, I feel like having some areas moved around would have benefit the game. Lothric is an excellent beginning, the the rest is not as good until the later half portion of the game (especially for a few bosses). Also, Vitality is just awful this time around, not to mention how poor magic plays now. Not to add salt to the wound, but poise isn't exactly "great" this time around either. I still really adore DaS3, but I feel like it may have needed more time spent in development.

Having six items, one being a strike shield, bow, talisman, and the rest are light/dex weapon + standard metal armor (nothing to heavy) requires a ton of Vitality, which does not scale with the stamina bar. I feel as if Vitality needed it's stats cut down by a third, or heck, even just mix Vitality with Endurance (stamina) like it was in Dark Souls 1.

Feeblecursedone

To me its Demon Souls > Dark Souls > Dark souls 3 > Bloodborne > Dark Souls 2

In terms of DaS3, I feel like having some areas moved around would have benefit the game.

Sure, Dark souls 3 feels a bit more linear than other games and that is a minus to me. Even in Ds2, you had 2 routes to choose from at the beggining.

Lothric is an excellent beginning, the the rest is not as good until the later half portion of the game (especially for a few bosses)

Specifically, there's no " great " area until you reach Irithyll.

Also, Vitality is just awful this time around

I wish it was merged together with endurance like in first game.

Not to add salt to the wound, but poise isn't exactly "great" this time around either. I still really adore DaS3, but I feel like it may have needed more time spent in development.

Well, poise seems to work differently this time around. It actually stacks poise on top of your hyperarmour moveset, so stuff like weapon arts. I was recently using demon's greataxe and let me tell you, the weapon art is VERY hard to interrupt with stacked poise.

Feeblecursedone said:
To me its Demon Souls > Dark Souls > Dark souls 3 > Bloodborne > Dark Souls 2

Specifically, there's no " great " area until you reach Irithyll.

I think Cathedral of the deep is a beautifully crafted area. I like how there is only one bonfire, it added the fear of dying back to the souls games.

I got the feeling that Dark Souls III is, while excellent, Miyazaki's weakest game. That's understandable though, since it builds upon it's predecessors (in lore at least) and therefore shouldn't be viewed on its own. It is, after all, the first sequel Miyazaki made.

I'd personally rank the games: Bloodborne = Dark Souls >= Demon's Souls > Dark Souls III > Dark Souls II.

BTW, has anyone heard of Ni-Oh? It's an upcoming game that takes some inspiration from the Miyazaki games, but set in Warring States Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nioh

Feeblecursedone

Yeah Im definitely getting Niou ( its supposed to be written like that according to my friend who speaks japanese ) but for some reason they've written it with H on the end ( which cannot be )

The game itself seems to be a mix of Onimusha and Souls games. Im ony worried it might end up being too repetitive, which I hope is not the case. Apparently the game will have a map and " missions ". Nonetheless I like the design of weapons and armour.

Im not too overly happy about having a pre-determined main character but since they're basing him on on a historical person (???) I guess I can see why they went that way.

Lawliet said:
I got the feeling that Dark Souls III is, while excellent, Miyazaki's weakest game. That's understandable though, since it builds upon it's predecessors (in lore at least) and therefore shouldn't be viewed on its own. It is, after all, the first sequel Miyazaki made.

I really dislike the references and callbacks and old characters showing up every ten seconds. Personally I think Dark Souls 2 was a better sequel in terms of lore, at least it tried to build something kinda different instead of resorting to The Force Awakens type stuff. It did have that ladder salesman though...

Well, I admit I was a little tired of the formula when I played it, so I was inclined to be more critical of this stuff.

Agreed. I got the impression in Dark Souls II that hundreds, if not thousands, of years passed since the first game. And yet, we get all those characters from DS show up in DS III. Also, I still don't understand how Anor Londo fits in DSIII, how does that work?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lawliet said:
Agreed. I got the impression in Dark Souls II that hundreds, if not thousands, of years passed since the first game. And yet, we get all those characters from DS show up in DS III. Also, I still don't understand how Anor Londo fits in DSIII, how does that work?

Time is broken in the Souls' universe. That's explained in the DLC for DS1.

Feeblecursedone

The reason why we see Andre, Siegmayer ( fuck it im not gonna call him siegward ) and the rest of the characters is because they have been ressurected in order to link the fire. In short, unkindled ones are all those " chosen " who have failed to link it before and as such they were unfit to even become cinders.

They've been dead for a long time, so i assume they were unnaffected by the curse of hollowing. Of course, a major portion is also pandering to the fans as a final tribute for the end of the series, but that's my explanation as to why revive all those characters.

As for Anor Londo, we know that the worlds converge in Dark Souls 3. Anor Londo has always been there, and in Ds3 its a part of Irithyll. In dark souls games, kingdoms and countries rise and fall but they're all essentially in the same place.

Note that Irityhll is also considered a land of gods, and you can even see something similar mentioned in the character creation screen when you're choosing your origin.

Walter said:
Time is broken in the Souls' universe. That's explained in the DLC for DS1.

That's actually the one DLC I didn't play, go figure.

Feeblecursedone said:
The reason why we see Andre, Siegmayer ( fuck it im not gonna call him siegward ) and the rest of the characters is because they have been ressurected in order to link the fire. In short, unkindled ones are all those " chosen " who have failed to link it before and as such they were unfit to even become cinders.

They've been dead for a long time, so i assume they were unnaffected by the curse of hollowing. Of course, a major portion is also pandering to the fans as a final tribute for the end of the series, but that's my explanation as to why revive all those characters.

As for Anor Londo, we know that the worlds converge in Dark Souls 3. Anor Londo has always been there, and in Ds3 its a part of Irithyll. In dark souls games, kingdoms and countries rise and fall but they're all essentially in the same place.

Note that Irityhll is also considered a land of gods, and you can even see something similar mentioned in the character creation screen when you're choosing your origin.

Seems like a pretty good explanation (I hadn't considered that Andre and some NPCs were resurrected too for some reason). I'm still kind of confused about the worlds converging. In DS, Anor Londo is up in the skies, so to speak. In III, it's in a valley. I think I need to go back and examine the lore again.

Cathedral of the Deep is a fantastic area in the game, with an excellent boss. I nearly forgot that area, somehow.

DaS3 is excellent, mind what I said. I just think the first game is slightly better...but nostalgia could be playing a bit here!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, I finally finished my solo replay of all of DS3 this weekend (and beat DS2 while I was at it; that ending wtf?). I think the best thing I can say about it is I really love the gameplay and can't go back, it really is the Dark Souls sequel you were looking for if you loved DS1 and want it in an updated package. Returning to DS2's controls felt terrible by contrast, and I tried going back to DS1 but exited almost immediately (just wasn't the same from a couple months ago =). Anyway, I'm still really enjoying playing it and looking forward to multiple NG pluses and the DLCs.

Griffith said:
I tried going back to DS1 but exited almost immediately (just wasn't the same from a couple months ago =)
Think DaS feels a good deal better after playing DaSIII. Then again this recent re-visit i've done is my first time playing with dsfix, so that might have something to do with it.
As for III, after logging just over one hundred hours I had overcome whatever minor issues I had at the beginning, things like the fabric clipping and what not. None of it bothered me. The locations reminded me a lot of Berserk, specifically the Greatwood's courtyard, the Catacombs of Carthus, and Irathyll Dungeon.
I see what they were trying to go for with the way the game progresses in terms of location, but really don't like it much. As some others have said I wasn't blown away by any location until I got to Irathyll. The length was also a little short, my entire first run took 20 hrs without utilizing shortcuts and not lighting all bonfires; for comparison, when I was 20 hrs into my first DaS run I was just descending the elevator to blighttown's final bonfire(for those unaware, this is relatively 1/3 of the game).

Griffith

Ressha said:
Think DaS feels a good deal better after playing DaSIII. Then again this recent re-visit i've done is my first time playing with dsfix, so that might have something to do with it.

I don't know how you played without it, that was a no go until Wally showed me the light. I actually think the games are quite similar and that 3 is sort of a more streamlined version of the DaS fight interface plus weapon arts, whereas DS2 is subtlety pretty different, particularly the rolling mechanic.

Ressha said:
As for III, after logging just over one hundred hours I had overcome whatever minor issues I had at the beginning, things like the fabric clipping and what not. None of it bothered me. The locations reminded me a lot of Berserk, specifically the Greatwood's courtyard, the Catacombs of Carthus, and Irathyll Dungeon.
I see what they were trying to go for with the way the game progresses in terms of location, but really don't like it much. As some others have said I wasn't blown away by any location until I got to Irathyll.

I wasn't reminded so much of Berserk as I was DaS, as it seemed to be sort of recreating it in a sense (the first two area are very much like bigger, more refined versions of the Undead Burg, and the parallels continue throughout), it didn't really start to stand out until the Cathedral. But yeah, Irithyll and it's offshoots are by far the most impressive (and the only one where the sky doesn't change after returning to Lothric; lore implications!? ...). I still think DaS has the best, and most unique, areas that could be dilapidated, scary, gorgeous, or all three at once. The world of DS3 feels a lot more consistent, let's say.

Ressha said:
The length was also a little short, my entire first run took 20 hrs without utilizing shortcuts and not lighting all bonfires; for comparison, when I was 20 hrs into my first DaS run I was just descending the elevator to blighttown's final bonfire(for those unaware, this is relatively 1/3 of the game).

I also think that has something to do with it being the 3rd (or 5th) game in the series for many. I mean, just think how long it took you to ring both bells and get the lord vessel your first time playing, particularly if DaS was your first Souls game, versus how long it would take you to do it now. It's just not going to be the same experience even if the games were equal.

D

Dragon Warrior

Guys, if anyone interested, I made this video. Dark Souls - Berserk (Not references)
It took me sometime to make it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pi7n2AZisM&feature=gp-n-y&google_comment_id=z12fyjkarzb0vtpz304cfflipnzgej3y420

Feeblecursedone

Well shiet, here we go:

https://youtu.be/iu1NCPMC7D0

Looks like Painted World of Ariamis. Lots of wolves and nordic themes. Also a giant boss crushing players to a pulp with a gigantic lord vessel lol.

I like :isidro:

Griffith

Eh, the wolves and antler knights look cool, but after 400+ hours of these games it just feels like more of the same. I really hope for the final DLC they'll do something big to tie up and cap off the series right, and I have a pretty specific idea:

Basically, hark back to Oolacile from the original DLC and let you go back in time to the Age of Ancients and settle the question of the fire once and for all at the beginning, Terminator-style ("...but the final battle would not be fought in the future. It would be fought here, in our present. Tonight..." =). Either help Gwyn fight the dragons and link the fire to start the cycle, help the dragons and fight Gwyn to prevent it, or help the Pygmy and fight everybody! That scenario would open up a ton of possibilities: the four lords in their primes, the everlasting dragons in their day, the Pygmy, total warfare, and you could even throw in the primordial serpents and a young Nameless King redux if one so desired; all literally awesome stuff.

So, essentially, I'm bound to be disappointed by whatever they do, so I'm glad I could share that with you when they bring out what amounts to one last random area/monster pack instead. =)

Feeblecursedone

Fucking agreed. I always wanted to go back to the age of ancients and see eternal dragons in all their glory. Let the world return to its original state with no life/dark or anything. Or as you said help Gwyn. Imagine being able to summon Gwyn via a sign, that'd be so epic.

As for this DLC, I have two characters on NG + so thankfully I dont have to go through the game again as I assume the DLC's are going to be harsh areas ( as per all ds dlc's ) so something like sl 100-120 will be required as minimum.

I just hope they reveal their new rpg project ( and possibly the sci-fi one ) on tokyo game show this year.

Top Bottom