Greetings and Salutations !

Sygorian

Is free will a thing though?
Why hello there good people of quality fandom status, I am making this "little" post to intro myself into what appears to be the best place in the interwebs for all things Berserk ! I'm a 21 year old student majoring in biotech, currently residing in Greece. First got into the series about 6 years ago and since then it's kind of a constant in my life. I actually made an account on the site like years ago, never used it because I wasn't much of a chatty person back then, plus I had no idea what was going on here. I'm also in my third year of learning Japanese so hoping to eventually be able to read all the original material. Favourites from other mediums include Ergo Proxy (anime) and everything H.P Lovecraft when it comes to literature (I also love Herbert's Dune). And yes before you ask GIGANTOMACHIA (ΓΙΓΑΝΤΟΜΑΧΕΙΑ) does sound funny to me, mainly because that's basically greeklish, a form of english slang we use here :D I've also noticed you guys run a patreon pledge thingy and I wanted to ask if euros work in my case. That's pretty much it, well, actually there's more, but I don't want an already huge post to become gigantic ! I appreciate everything you're doing here, the podcasts are great and looking forward to being a part of it all. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu !

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Welcome aboard Sygorian! I'm sure you'll like it here. I don't post a lost but I've learn a lot hanging around here! have fun. :serpico:

Hi and welcome! :serpico:
Sygorian said:
I'm a 21 year old student majoring in biotech, currently residing in Greece.
Very cool! I've heard Greece is a beautiful place. Do you like living there?

Sygorian said:
Favourites from other mediums include Ergo Proxy (anime)
I liked that, too. One of those things I'd like to watch again since it's been a while.

Welcome aboard.

Like JMP, a fan of Ergo Proxy too. Although the series is a slow-burn, that sort of post apocalyptic work with philosophical themes was fun to watch plus the soundtrack's amazing. Some episodes were a miss, felt a bit disjointed compared to the overall narrative. I remember watching it again right after, taking my time reading more about Cartesian and Descarte philosophies.

Sygorian

Thanks for the welcome !

JMP said:
I've heard Greece is a beautiful place. Do you like living there?

Not gonna lie, it is quite beautiful in general. Although living here permanently and dealing with all this economic-geopolitical issues going on isn't all that fun :D

JMP said:
I liked that, too. One of those things I'd like to watch again since it's been a while.

You definitely should, it's a show that you pick up lots of different things with each rewatch, much like Berserk.

IncantatioN said:
Some episodes were a miss, felt a bit disjointed compared to the overall narrative. I remember watching it again right after, taking my time reading more about Cartesian and Descarte philosophies.

It definitely is like that when viewed with the traditional mindset of a cohesive narrative ! However one mostly watches that show for the themes and mental puzzles it presents, some of them being the philosophies you mentioned, I mean, even the whole premise of the show is metaphorical, "if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it..." kind of thing with what the original humans did to the planet. I kind of wanna watch it for the third time this summer but there's tons of other things on my list as well :S

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hail Sygorian, I bid thee welcome.

Sygorian said:
And yes before you ask GIGANTOMACHIA (ΓΙΓΑΝΤΟΜΑΧΕΙΑ) does sound funny to me, mainly because that's basically greeklish, a form of english slang we use here :D

Out of curiosity, what would the proper spelling be? Anyway, what did you think of the way Miura used classical Greek mythology to fashion his story? Thought it was pretty great myself.

Sygorian said:
I've also noticed you guys run a patreon pledge thingy and I wanted to ask if euros work in my case.

Why certainly, your euros will always be rated AAA at our establishment. :slan:

Sygorian

Aazealh said:
Out of curiosity, what would the proper spelling be? Anyway, what did you think of the way Miura used classical Greek mythology to fashion his story? Thought it was pretty great myself.

There's nothing wrong with the spelling of the word, that's just how we would type it around here for fun using latin characters as is the custom these days, that's why it's noteworthy to me, just like the show PLANETES (ΠΛΑΝΗΤΕΣ) which is the exact phonetical romanization (a very cool show by the way)

Regarding the Greek influences, there's no conceptual or/and plot device homage regarding that which comes to mind right now, the only thing off the top of my head is that one of my favourite characters, Schierke's name, which very much resembles Circe (it sounds more like Schierke in the Greek version) the goddess of magic. Regardless, I now really want to know what specific mythological allegories you had in mind !

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sygorian said:
There's nothing wrong with the spelling of the word, that's just how we would type it around here for fun using latin characters as is the custom these days, that's why it's noteworthy to me, just like the show PLANETES (ΠΛΑΝΗΤΕΣ) which is the exact phonetical romanization (a very cool show by the way)

Ah, I see. Well it's actually spelled in Greek in the volume itself, and the reason we transliterated it like that is because that's how the myth is called in English.

Sygorian said:
Regarding the Greek influences, there's no conceptual or/and plot device homage regarding that which comes to mind right now, the only thing off the top of my head is that one of my favourite characters, Schierke's name, which very much resembles Circe (it sounds more like Schierke in the Greek version) the goddess of magic. Regardless, I now really want to know what specific mythological allegories you had in mind !

I was talking about Gigantomachia actually, not Berserk. Schierke's name comes from German folklore (it's the name of a town near the Harz mountain range, which is traditionally related to witches).

Sygorian said:
I'm a 21 year old student majoring in biotech, currently residing in Greece.
Hey welcome, where do you live?? I'm from Athens, but i've been living in Thessaloniki for 10 years now.

I would have to disagree abou Circe, it doesnt sound that simmilar to me.

Sygorian

Aazealh said:
I was talking about Gigantomachia actually, not Berserk. Schierke's name comes from German folklore (it's the name of a town near the Harz mountain range, which is traditionally related to witches).

I haven't read Gigantomakhia yet, I'm actually waiting (and hoping) for the physical copy to be in my hands first. Is it true that the narrative is much more lighthearted ? That would be interesting. About Schierke, I guess I just enjoy to entertain the idea of a greek witch with a simillar name ! I've read about the village in a thread I found here a while ago.

Joe Chip said:
Hey welcome, where do you live?? I'm from Athens, but i've been living in Thessaloniki for 10 years now.

I would have to disagree abou Circe, it doesnt sound that simmilar to me.

Hey there, well, it's practically just one letter that's really phonetically different :D

I live in Athens, I have an apartment near the Akropolis, but most of the time I stay in Porto Rafti !

Sygorian said:
Although living here permanently and dealing with all this economic-geopolitical issues going on isn't all that fun :D
I'm sure! Here I am thinking of pretty scenery with all that's going on there right now. Sheesh, I feel silly. :farnese: I hope there will be some positive resolution to the turmoil there soon.

IncantatioN said:
I remember watching it again right after, taking my time reading more about Cartesian and Descarte philosophies.
I enjoyed the show, but I found some of it pretty confusing, to tell you the truth. I'll probably get more out of it upon a second look. Maybe if I read up a bit on the philosophical views you mentioned it'll help me make more sense of things this time around.

Aazealh said:
Schierke's name comes from German folklore (it's the name of a town near the Harz mountain range, which is traditionally related to witches).
Interesting! :guts:

Sygorian

JMP said:
I'm sure! Here I am thinking of pretty scenery with all that's going on there right now. Sheesh, I feel silly. :farnese: I hope there will be some positive resolution to the turmoil there soon.

It's actually this Sunday that we're voting whether we're staying in the EU or going solo and cutting off all ties. And here I am only being able to sulk at the fact that I wont be able to order the stuff I want online or get Jap lessons from my Jap teachers :D (they'll all be long gone)

Sygorian said:
It's actually this Sunday that we're voting whether we're staying in the EU or going solo and cutting off all ties. And here I am only being able to sulk at the fact that I wont be able to order the stuff I want online or get Jap lessons from my Jap teachers :D (they'll all be long gone)
Well, I hope you and Joe Chip are doing OK. Sounds like things are pretty crazy right now, from what I've seen of the news.

Top Bottom