Episode 338

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
the million dollar question is whether Locus and Rakshas have gone rogue or if they're merely following their master's, even unspoken, desire.

Personally my first thought was that I don't see it coming from Griffith, but... Who knows really. It's been so long since we've really known what he thought that it's become near impossible to tell.

Griffith said:
His movement, his dialogue, his entire aura. He does sinister like nobody's business. That sneering double speak that basically amounted to, "ha ha, relax, you've got nothing to worry about because you're going to die now, but not before I make you think about it first." He's so purely malevolent, but makes it look cool.

Gotta respect a guy who loves his job. :rakshas:

Griffith said:
In any case, it was neat considering his initial predilection for heads. =)

Yep, the simple imagery of him on a headless statue is already super cool without needing any additional crazy theory.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
That is really cold. And yet it's like Rakshas is almost having mercy on Rickert. Giving words of comfort before taking his life. He truly is frighteningly powerful.

Yeah, it's like he's graciously menacing, like Death really, and I doubt his tone or the feeling he evokes is comforting.

Aazealh said:
Personally my first thought was that I don't see it coming from Griffith, but... Who knows really. It's been so long since we've really known what he thought that it's become near impossible to tell.

I didn't think so either, considering the contrast in reactions between Griff and Locus, and Silat seeing that and pondering loudly whether Locus is actually behind it. It also doesn't strike me as that big a reveal for Griff to be willing to kill former comrades at this juncture, "I'm starting to think he's really not a nice guy. :judo:" Of course, it could be it's being telegraphed that way to misdirect us for some finer point about Griffith, but Miura is usually pretty clear in his intentions and plainly laying the foundation for them.

Aazealh said:
Gotta respect a guy who loves his job. :rakshas:

So, do you think this is it and we're treated to a full transformation next episode, or does he simply T-1000 out from under there and say, "You missed me." :rakshas:

Aazealh said:
Yep, the simple imagery of him on a headless statue is already super cool without needing any additional crazy theory.

My favorite part is that for a moment it resembled Medusa before you realize what's really afoot. Also, though he's obviously always been scary, it's been more for his lack of shape, whereas he cut quite a physically imposing figure there.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
So, do you think this is it and we're treated to a full transformation next episode, or does he simply T-1000 out from under there and say, "You missed me." :rakshas:

I think for dramatic effect it's more likely we'll get to see his apostle form, rather than having a repeat of previous encounters.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:

Aazealh said:
I think for dramatic effect it's more likely we'll get to see his apostle form, rather than having a repeat of previous encounters.

Maybe his final form IS T-1000 :troll:

I mean, that appendage he had on Rickert did evoke a T-1000 type kill
n9CbanM.jpg

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:

I'm rooting on your side. I think we're due to see what his apostle form looks like. Well, I for one hope so, now that the idea has been planted in my head!

Griffith

Aazealh said:
jackson_hurley said:
I'm rooting on your side. I think we're due to see what his apostle form looks like. Well, I for one hope so, now that the idea has been planted in my head!

I phrased that question poorly since that wouldn't preclude him transforming; what I really meant was will this definitely precipitate it, or will there be more foreplay? As with Locus' situation though, I agree it makes sense that if you're going to crush Rakshas at the end of an episode it'd be a tease if he didn't transform as a result... unless he still does. =)

Oburi said:
Maybe his final form IS T-1000 :troll:

I mean, that appendage he had on Rickert did evoke a T-1000 type kill

I just hope it's not like Ganishka where we've actually been seeing his Apostle abilities this whole time. :ganishka: Maybe he's like Ant-Man and when he transforms he just shrinks into a smaller, more evasive, and therefore deadlier version of himself. He's going to stab your heart... from the inside out! :rakshas:

Anyway, as for possible outcomes, barring a likely escape, Griffith could still intervene and take another shot playing hero to Rickert and, perhaps more importantly, his friends. Afterall, Rickert has gotten a close up look at the alternative to accepting Griffith's protection, a knife to the throat. My favorite possibility is Zodd intervening ala Grunbeld, "I do not like jokes."
zodd.gif

Even better if he flies in furiously roaring at and pushing everybody apart, "WHAT THE SAM HILL IS GOIN' ON HERE!?" :zodd:

Great episode, I wanna see what's under Rakshas' mask but I don't think we'll get that just yet, I don't want to underestimate him. :rakshas:

All those armors, all those spears, all those cannons!! :carcus:

Ken said:
great episode, i wanna see what's under Raksha's mask but i don't think we'll get that just yet, i don't want to underestimate him :rakshas:

I want to see! Besides the blunt warrior in a grunbeld, my favorite apostle is getting more screen time. Whoop! I hear some of you guys talk about altering size and being like some octopus or insect. I picture his awkward changes like my coral. Going from tiny to full of life, but maybe death in this case. :rakshas:

At the end of the series I would be tickled to death if my main man/woman does indeed wear Griffs face as a mask in some crazy last page gesture...assuming he/she survives. :farnese:

he was quick enough to dodge silat's attack so I'm sure he dodged that pillar, when it smashed the ground there was no indication that it hit him, no cloth sticking out or anything, he probably jumped away. After that, not really sure if he really needs to use his apostle form against these guys, maybe he does, this is all very exciting nonetheless!!! :ubik:

Also on that final page, I see 8/28, is that maybe the release date for episode 339 :???:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
I just hope it's not like Ganishka where we've actually been seeing his Apostle abilities this whole time. :ganishka: Maybe he's like Ant-Man and when he transforms he just shrinks into a smaller, more evasive, and therefore deadlier version of himself. He's going to stab your heart... from the inside out! :rakshas:

It's funny you mention that actually because I remember telling Aaz years and years ago when we first anticipated that we might see his apostle form (when he appeared on Zodd's wing) that if I had to guess I thought his form might be something similar to Ganishka's mist. God I hope I'm wrong. Although, I still can't help but think it's going to be something along those lines. He's a mist, he's a liquid, he shrinks, he flattens, he stretches, he can clone himself ... I don't know what this motherfucker is capable of but you just know that Miura has been holding out on this reveal for so long that it's going blow us all away when he decides that's enough foreplay.

Salem said:
Well, if that ends up being more than a couple months straight...there will be much rejoicing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UArbzOExaBg :ganishka:

Oburi said:
It's funny you mention that actually because I remember telling Aaz years and years ago when we first anticipated that we might see his apostle form (when he appeared on Zodd's wing) that if I had to guess I thought his form might be something similar to Ganishka's mist.
Well, in the panel where Rakshas comes down from the statue towards Rickert it does look like he turns into just a shadow on the ground and like you mentioned he has seemed to melt into things before. It seems like he can become insubstantial when he chooses. Talk about tough to kill! I definitely don't think Rakshas is dead. If there was to be a faceoff between him and Silat's group I can't see the humans faring too well. :magni:

The Kushan resistance lives on! :guts:

As much as I'd love to watch Silat and the Tapasa beat the shit out of Rakshas, I get the feeling they won't fight next episode. I think they'll grab Rickert and run. (Hopefully after a little good ol' fashioned Bakiraka-Rakshas chat.) It wouldn't be a very smart move to take any other action. "That boy seems to know the secret of the Falcon. . . So let's fight Rakshas, and assuming neither us nor the boy are killed during the fight, we can ask him about the Falcon's secret afterwards!"

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Wow! Absolutely fantastic! I cannot get enough of that first close up of Rakshas on top of the statue! He's absolutely terrifying. I personally don't know if we'll see his apostle form, but this is certainly the best opportunity presented in the series so far. Surely we'll have an answer in a few weeks.

Salem said:
:ubik: ha! I'm a sucker for some english humor.
Same here and Monty Python and the Holy Grail is one of my favorites!

This episode had some interesting moments to do with Rickert and Erica's relationship, too. To me, they seem like they have more of a brother/sister vibe and Erica saying he's her family just makes me think that all the more. But then there's the scene where Erica seems to get territorial around the two flirtatious girls, so that suggests some jealousy. Maybe the platonic sense I'm getting about them is just because they're so young at this point. Whether they'll end up as a couple when they're older, or if we'll even get to that by the end of the story is anybody's guess. Anyway, this episode was certainly packed with lots of good stuff to ponder! :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I phrased that question poorly since that wouldn't preclude him transforming; what I really meant was will this definitely precipitate it, or will there be more foreplay? As with Locus' situation though, I agree it makes sense that if you're going to crush Rakshas at the end of an episode it'd be a tease if he didn't transform as a result... unless he still does. =)

I think either he transforms now or he doesn't transform at all, because I don't see this fight lasting very long.

Griffith said:
I just hope it's not like Ganishka where we've actually been seeing his Apostle abilities this whole time. :ganishka:

I don't think it will be, Ganishka was special in many ways and he still had a human/apostle dynamic, whereas we've only seen one form of Rakshas.

Salem said:
At the end of the series I would be tickled to death if my main man/woman does indeed wear Griffs face as a mask in some crazy last page gesture...assuming he/she survives. :farnese:

That's unlikely to happen.

Ken said:
he was quick enough to dodge silat's attack so I'm sure he dodged that pillar, when it smashed the ground there was no indication that it hit him, no cloth sticking out or anything, he probably jumped away.

The way the shot is framed, with the pillar above him, then it crashing on the ground and no further shots after while Silat and the Tapasa look confident, implies that he didn't dodge it.

Kruge said:
Rakshas had better not be dead :mozgus:

Haha, don't worry, there's literally no chance that he is.

JMP said:
Well, in the panel where Rakshas comes down from the statue towards Rickert it does look like he turns into just a shadow on the ground and like you mentioned he has seemed to melt into things before. It seems like he can become insubstantial when he chooses.

No, I don't think he can do that. He's fast, nimble and very flexible, but nothing so far has implied he can become insubstantial.

Delta Phi said:
Wow! Absolutely fantastic! I cannot get enough of that first close up of Rakshas on top of the statue! He's absolutely terrifying. I personally don't know if we'll see his apostle form, but this is certainly the best opportunity presented in the series so far. Surely we'll have an answer in a few weeks.

I'm thinking figure of this scene, no? Might sculpt a maquette of it after my current project is done. :void: #brainstorming

Griffith

Oburi said:
when we first anticipated that we might see his apostle form (when he appeared on Zodd's wing) that if I had to guess I thought his form might be something similar to Ganishka's mist. God I hope I'm wrong. Although, I still can't help but think it's going to be something along those lines. He's a mist, he's a liquid, he shrinks, he flattens, he stretches, he can clone himself ... I don't know what this motherfucker is capable of
JMP said:
Well, in the panel where Rakshas comes down from the statue towards Rickert it does look like he turns into just a shadow on the ground and like you mentioned he has seemed to melt into things before. It seems like he can become insubstantial when he chooses.

He can certainly make himself quite compact, as evidenced by his first appearance and the incident on Zodd's wing among others, though he's still physically all there, which implies that besides his drapings there's really not a lot to him. The panel where he appears like a shadow on the ground is interesting, but a big vague and stylistic (especially with the speech bubble obscuring it). It begs the question how these traits will manifest in his transformed state, if at all. Maybe he'll become a super Tapasa in a bit of irony. =)

JMP said:
Talk about tough to kill! I definitely don't think Rakshas is dead. If there was to be a faceoff between him and Silat's group I can't see the humans faring too well. :magni:

Well, they've faced him before and lived to do so again, so it hasn't been the slaughter one might think. On the other hand, that doesn't mean it's any less one-sided or they're a match for him as Rakshas doesn't seem to take them too seriously and his personal motivations aren't the most comprehensible (the last time they faced each other he had other business, and perhaps ulterior motives, to attend to). Still, it appears they've solved his human form at least! Go in heavy.

Aazealh said:
I don't think it will be, Ganishka was special in many ways and he still had a human/apostle dynamic, whereas we've only seen one form of Rakshas.

Yeah, while they otherwise don't have much in common, Rakshas is also quite unique and his one form so far already seems quite special compared to your average Apostle (though you could say that about so many of them now I may need to refine my definition of "average Apostle").

Top Bottom