Episode 339

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a rough summary. Keep in mind it's likely to contain inaccuracies because the source material (Korean translation) is unreliable.

Rickert wonders what's going on as Silat and the Tapasa come forward. Silat tells him that as a reward for saving his life, he wants to ask him a question. Rickert has no time to be puzzled as Silat realizes that Rakshas is still a threat and throws two chakrams past Rickert and right into the rubble. Rakshas catches them effortlessly, and comments "you've become more skilled, rookie" before throwing them right back at Rickert. The Tapasa save the day, and Rakshas muses that they move quite well in coordinated attacks. They immediately jump at him but he catches their feet in his cloak, throwing them face first on the ground.

But they exclaim that they got him, and roll on themselves to hold him in place as Silat lunges in with his Katar. He strikes Rakshas right in the face and, pressing his weapon's mechanism, opens it up to slice the mask clean open. He wonders if he's dead, but notices that he's just been stabbed in the waist by Rakshas who's actually behind him. He strikes at him but Rakshas dodges the hits and retreats, commenting that his head isn't necessarily where it's supposed to be. As Rakshas cuts himself loose from their restraint, the Tapasa inquire about Silat, but he reassures them by saying he's wearing "it" (the Urumi) on his waist (otherwise the undoubtedly poisoned needle might have been the end of him).

Meanwhile, Rakshas is lamenting the loss of his mask, saying that he liked it and is saddened by the loss. He says he's not in the mood anymore and will go, and tells them to please wait a bit, as he'll come back with a new mask tonight, when the moon rises. Silat muses that it's odd how Rakshas still seems to care about their clan's taboo even though he was exiled because of his evilness. He quickly turns his attention back to Rickert however, wanting to resume their talk. But Rickert has a nagging feeling that he's seen him before, and suddenly realizes where and when he did, which leaves him speechless.

Silat mistakes his reaction and casually lets him know that he can ask him a little more violently if it necessary. Rickert tells him that he can tell them, but he doesn't have time to. Since Rakshas said he was coming back at night and since they probably want to hear his story in as much detail as possible, he makes them a proposition. Cut to Erika as she welcomes Rickert back with her newfound cat friends. She asks him how the forges were, and says that next time she'll come with him. She then freaks out upon seeing the Tapasa, telling him to watch out as ugly monsters are right behind him. Rickert tries to tell her they're human as the Tapasa themselves argue as to which one of the two she meant by that (She meant you! No, it must be you!). Alerted by the noise, Luka comes out, and immediately starts yelling for help and that monsters have invaded the city.

Daiba notices the guests from afar as Luka apologizes for taking them in through the back entrance, adding that it's necessary because everyone would be afraid of them. Rickert comments on whether they can really call themselves assassins since they're so easily detected by everyone, to which a Tapasa replies that he's rude (Luka seems perplex regarding the "assassin" part). Silat says they shouldn't bring attention to themselves, and tells his men to go hide in a stable. They do so relectantly, muttering that they're destined to live in the shadows. Daiba wonders: "ah, they are..."

Luka wonders the same and ask Rickert directly. He eludes the question, saying they're mercenaries that he hired. He then tells her that tonight, he's getting out of Falconia. As the Tapasa get to enjoy an evening in the hay, we see the girls' surprise as Rickert just told them an assassin tried to kill him. The two who'd tried to woo him last episode comment that it's not surprising: because Rickert attacked Griffith, he must be enraged... Rickert explains that the assassin definitely isn't human, and that it must be one of Griffith's demon soldiers. The girls aren't surprised, and suggest that maybe he could just go apologize to him. Rickert admits that he never expected Griffith would do such a thing... And then he thinks to himself: ...but the current Griffith...? But no, thinking back, he knows that Griffith was already a cold perfectionist back then, and that he just didn't show himself fully to them. He always had a dark side, otherwise... (implied: how could he have sacrificed them all otherwise)

Silat cuts his reverie short by saying that Rakshas, the demon warrior, will definitely come. That he's strangely tenacious like that. The girls get agitated, telling Erika that there's no time to waste then, they should hurry to pack up. Luka says Ok, since there's nothing else to do. But asks him if he's got a place to go. Because as they all know, ridiculous things are happening outside. She's not sure there exists a place when humans can live safely.

Silat responds: "There is. Before the Kushans attacked this holy land, a long time ago, we Bakiraka hid ourselves in an impregnable fortress and made a living as assassins for hundreds of years. All of the residents are warriors who train themselves day and night to develop lethal skills. Even goblins can't approach that place easily. The tyrant who hired us was destroyed, so we pondered on whether we should flock to the Falcon like other Kushans or not, but we don't want to serve an inhuman being again. Moreover, we were thinking to go back to our fortress. If the world was still fine, I would never let anybody who doesn't belong to our clan in that place, but this is a good chance for you."

Luka says that in that case, she has nothing more to say, and instructs the girls to bring all the preserved food they've stocked. Erika spontaneously goes to help. Luka then speaks to Rickert, telling him that as soon as he reached the city, fantastical things happened. Then she asks him once more: what will he do with that girl? She tells him that if he leaves her there, she'll take good care of her. But Rickert declines: "I'll take Erika with me. I'm not sure it's the right thing to do, but she's my family."

Luka tells him "Alright. Well, you'll be more careful then, because you'll have somebody to protect." And comments that these kinds of people tend to live unexpectedly long. She also tells the "Kushan lad" to protect them well. Rickert laughs to himself, and she asks him why. He says that a while ago... One of his friends left on a perillous journey for the same reason as he is, caring for a precious person. Although he's a very strong swordsman who can't be killed by anything, unlike him... And he concludes by saying that he's sure... because he's him... that he's definitely protecting her well, somewhere...

Meanwhile, Rakshas is looking over the city from the top of a statue with the full moon behind him.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Squiddot said:
But even if he hadn't, I'm sure he would have re-aligned himself with the eye holes by then. My earlier post was just using that as evidence to show he had been forced to move closer to the edge of his cloak rather than "wearing" it properly like every other time.

I really don't think that's how it works.

JMP said:
The panel after Silat stabbed the mask and it cracks is cool

The mask didn't crack, Silat split it in half by "opening" his Katar (notice the three blades).

Salem said:
I'm still hoping that Rakshas, as crazy as he is, pulls a Vader down the road and intervenes in the good fight. Yea, not likely, but he's obviously holding back and I'm super excited to hear more about his past.

That really isn't very likely. Speaking of him holding back though, I was thinking it would be nice to have him fight a Silat & Serpico duo in the future. The Urumi and Sylph sword could prove to be a good match for him.

Walter said:
I can envision a scenario where Rickert, Silat and the Tapasa get cornered on their escape from Falconia, and Daiba rescues them with Garuda. That could immediately elucidate them on Daiba's new role. Otherwise, his former association with Ganishka would surely be a problem for Silat.

The thought has crossed my mind as well. I find this scenario as cool as it is plausible. :guts:

luizao said:
This is right after Rickert tell them about the sacrifices

Rickert does not tell them about the sacrifice. He's just thinking to himself.

Aazealh said:

Shadow Monster! :iva:

But seriously, a cool episode. The fight was so dynamic but the text at the bottom of that page is in a terrible place. It took me a minute to figure out what happened there. Someone was not paying attention when they decided to place that information right there. I hope things work out for Rickert and Erika. I think Rickert's skills will fit well with the Bakiraka.

11947401_1467549623572409_1071520129211267357_n.jpg

Oh nooooooo

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bender said:
Shadow Monster!

He's more of a fabric monster, actually.

Bender said:
I hope things work out for Rickert and Erika. I think Rickert's skills will fit well with the Bakiraka.

I agree. Even their escape from Falconia, which I suspect will be eventful, could be the occasion for him to show his worth as a engineer. Like, imagine if he fed oil instead of water to that device he renovated in episode 338. "Fire hose" indeed. :carcus:

I also have to say that I'm ecstatic with the way things have turned out. Having Rickert accompany Silat to the Bakiraka's stronghold will provide exactly what I've wanted to see since Fantasia came into existence: to see humans living on their own in the wilderness, far away from Griffith's false paradise.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
In one episide Rakshas has somehow managed to become exponentially more interesting. He was always cool and mercurial (moreso now), but there's also an element of tragic sadness there as well. Not just his identification with the mask and how it obviously relates to his body and desire for, literally, Griffith's "beautiful" head, but more Silat's comment about Rakshas still observing their customs despite being banished, which implies a longing I wouldn't have guessed before. Plus Rakshas referring to Silat as a rookie, meaning he was probably his senior at one time, perhaps even a mentor (after the mask bit I doubt he was just a low level wannabe like Wyald, though its still possible). Totally changes the context of their past interactions as well; however he may feel as an Apostle, it wasn't his idea to leave, and considering what's become of him, depending on the circumstances of his departure, we may find out he's as pitiable as he is irredeemable.

Also, on that last page he reminds me of Gray Fox. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
These Photoshops aren't changing my confusion. I don't see how Rakshas is comparable with that horrible thing.

What an interesting episode, I'm intrigued by Rakshas now more than ever.
Such an intense fight too, I love how Miura thinks action. So Rickert is leaving Falconia with Erika, and they're going to take shelter in the forteress. That's unexpected, but It would be interesting to see a new location.

Thanks Aazealh for the summary.

Griffith

More random thoughts: If attitude and body language count for anything, Silat and Guts are more alike than they might think. He should tell Rickert not to thank him before dawn. =)

Also, NEW MASK GUYS! Any ideas? I'm assuming it will be new yet similar to the last, and if he's already wearing it in that shot possibly sleeker and less toothy than the last (of course those details could just be obscured).

Fantastic Episode. :ubik:

Rickert going along with Silat and the Bakiraka to their homeland is surely welcomed, especially from a world building aspect. Can't wait to see more of Fantasia.

Rakshas face reveal was great, often reveals like that can be very disappointing as someone would expect something big behind those masks. It being nothing topped my expectations though :puck: Unpredictable.

The battle between Rakshas and the Bakiraka was very well choreographed, i enjoyed the use of angle in some panels.

I really like the parallel between Rickert & Guts, it adds a nice layer to his character. :void:

Next episode will be insane, Rakshas is going on a hunt :rakshas:

Thanks for writing up that summary, Aazealh! :guts:

Man, I'm excited to see the Bakiraka's hideout. It should be interesting seeing their escape from Falconia, what with Rakshas out on the prowl now. :magni:

Bender said:
I think Rickert's skills will fit well with the Bakiraka.
I think so, too. Genius inventor joins up with powerful warrior clan, some awesome stuff is bound to happen! :ubik:

Griffith said:
Also, NEW MASK GUYS! Any ideas? I'm assuming it will be new yet similar to the last, and if he's already wearing it in that shot possibly sleeker and less toothy than the last (of course those details could just be obscured).
Aw, I think I'd be as sad as Rakshas was to see the old one go. I've come to associate it with him so much. I hope he just made a new one of the same, to tell you the truth! :rakshas:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I think I'm just as sad as Rakshas that his mask is broken. This was a surreal episode. I never anticipated Rakshas to have ALL these tricks up his cloak. I'm almost starting to wonder if he isn't always in his apostle form. The more we see of him, the more questions I have.

Thanks for the link, Raffo! And thanks for the summary, Aaz!

Griffith

JMP said:
Aw, I think I'd be as sad as Rakshas was to see the old one go. I've come to associate it with him so much. I hope he just made a new one of the same, to tell you the truth! :rakshas:

Well, it doesn't have to be dramatically different, just a subtle redesign that's still consistent and identifiable with the character, like Grunbeld's new armor:

grunbeld2.0.jpg

Which is almost too on the nose. Anyway, something like this:

rakshasconcept.jpg

See, different, but still Rakshas. Or if he really wants to be scary:

rakshasjason.jpg

Delta Phi said:
I never anticipated Rakshas to have ALL these tricks up his cloak. I'm almost starting to wonder if he isn't always in his apostle form.

Yeah, it is somewhat reminiscent of Ganishka, except even he had a dramatic transformation, we just didn't know it was his Apostle transformation at the time. Perhaps Rakshas' "new mask" he's going to show them is also metaphor for a more dramatic change. :rakshas:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Thank you Aaz for the summary!

It almost feels like a mistake to get new episodes two months in a row! My heart can't take the excitement! :ganishka:

But really, what a ride. Some folks have already touched on this point, but I think Miura truly shows off his ability to defy convention in this episode. Even though we were all expecting a pretty big fight, the result was much more subtle and fun to watch as it "unraveled." :rakshas: Not only that, but Rakshas's reveal was a surprise in that, in fact, it wasn't really a reveal at all! Hiding in plain sight, indeed.

On top of all that, getting to see Tapasa acting goofy was unexpectedly fun, since I think they'd always been portrayed pretty seriously before, despite their pretty extreme appearances.

And how about that Bakiraka fortress that Silat mentioned? That seems like a big reveal that I hadn't anticipated. I'm really excited at the possibility of seeing how the Bakiraka live in their own homeland. I just hope it isn't too long of a trip... and that they don't need a boat to get there! :slan:

Aazealh said:
The mask didn't crack, Silat split it in half by "opening" his Katar (notice the three blades).

So he upgraded his katars. I took a closer look at the handle of the Urimi and its also different. It's probably just the design but maybe we'll see something new with those too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
They immediately jump at him but he catches their feet in his cloak, throwing them face first on the ground. But they exclaim that they got him, and roll on themselves to hold him in place

The Tapasa's super-quick improvisational counter manuever was so cool to see in this episode, and of course it created an immediate opening for Silat. In the course of this one skirmish, they managed to get the upper-hand on Rakshas twice (column crush + face stab), and both of those successes were the result of coordination.

Aazealh said:
She then freaks out upon seeing the Tapasa, telling him to watch out as ugly monsters are right behind him. Rickert tries to tell her they're human as the Tapasa themselves argue as to which one of the two she meant by that (She meant you! No, it must be you!)

Was cackling reading this section, on top of the laughs I already got from the visuals. It's actually a pretty clever joke -- that they can easily distinguish themselves, but to everyone else, they look like twin monsters.

Aazealh said:
"Before the Kushans attacked this holy land, a long time ago, we Bakiraka hid ourselves in an impregnable fortress and made a living as assassins for hundreds of years. All of the residents are warriors who train themselves day and night to develop lethal skills. Even goblins can't approach that place easily. The tyrant who hired us was destroyed, so we pondered on whether we should flock to the Falcon like other Kushans or not, but we don't want to serve an inhuman being again. Moreover, we were thinking to go back to our fortress. If the world was still fine, I would never let anybody who doesn't belong to our clan in that place, but this is a good chance for you."

I'll admit, I wasn't very excited about Rickert going with the Bakiraka over Falconia, because I think he's a more valuable witness for the events within Falconia than in the outside world. But this convinced me otherwise. Chills as I read this part. I never thought we'd see something like this -- not just their new fort or whatever, but the Bakiraka's _actual_ encampment all these years.I really never expected Miura to lift that veil, but here it comes!

Griffith said:
Also, NEW MASK GUYS! Any ideas?

He hasn't had time to rig up something proper, so he'll probably take whatever he can get his hands on around the city. So, probably a falcon. :iva:

Griffith said:
In one episode Rakshas has somehow managed to become exponentially more interesting. He was always cool and mercurial (moreso now), but there's also an element of tragic sadness there as well. Not just his identification with the mask and how it obviously relates to his body and desire for, literally, Griffith's "beautiful" head, but more Silat's comment about Rakshas still observing their customs despite being banished, which implies a longing I wouldn't have guessed before.

Yep, it's a smorgasbord of development for our Kushan characters. Now all we need is for Daiba to explain how his eyes got so creepy in the next episode :daiba:

Griffith said:
Plus Rakshas referring to Silat as a rookie, meaning he was probably his senior at one time, perhaps even a mentor

I had that same reaction, but as Aaz pointed out to me, it could just be something similar to Zodd's "you've improved, boy!" We'll know more when the Japanese text emerges.

Grail said:
I'm really excited at the possibility of seeing how the Bakiraka live in their own homeland. I just hope it isn't too long of a trip... and that they don't need a boat to get there! :slan:

Same, but to clarify, they were exiled from their actual homeland centuries ago (told in Vol 22). What Silat is talking about is their makeshift encampment that they've called home all these years since then. And since the group worked for multiple countries, probably somewhere on the outskirts of them all, probably NOT very close, I'd wager.

Top Bottom