Puck and the behelit

I was thinking as as I was reading all the speculation on who would end up using the behelit that Guts has on his person. And what I thought about is that Puck claims it is his and picked it up around the time Guts fought the Count. At first I didn't think about him using it until I started rereadind the manga over. We never seen any one other then human use the behelit tho, but he was there when the count summed the Godhand so who knows.
But what interests me is thinking about what would push him in to using it maybe trouble in elfhelm maybe from the merging of the plans of existence. I don't know just a small thought.
2a4oap2.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Puck and the Beherit

Mogen said:
I was thinking as as I was reading all the speculation on who would end up using the Beherit that Guts has on his person. And what I thought about is that Puck claims it is his and picked it up around the time Guts fought the Count. At first I didn't think about him using it until I started rereadind the manga over. We never seen any one other then human use the Beherit tho, but he was there when the count summed the Godhand so who knows.
But what interests me is thinking about what would push him in to using it maybe trouble in elfhelm maybe from the merging of the plans of existence. I don't know just a small thought.

It doesn't work like that. First, you can't really "own" a beherit, in that carrying one doesn't mean you'll ever be able to use it. Second, beherits are for humans only. They come from (and are irremediably tied to) the Idea of Evil and serve to produce apostles. They're a purely human device. Third, elves don't reason like humans, they are too fundamentally different. They are good and mischievous at their core, and they lack what it would take for a beherit to activate.

Finally, this scene is more a reflection on the funny bond that Puck has developed with the beherit inside Guts' bag, which he sees as a kind of pet. You can see it in many hilarious little scenes throughout the manga. In conclusion, I don't think there is any chance at all that we will see Puck use the beherit. In fact it's not sure anyone will ever use it. But the risk is there...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Puck and the Beherit

Just a note, but while the translation in the image you posted serves to explain your point, it has two fundamental inaccuracies: 1) Guts doesn't say he's going to stop carrying around the beherit. He just says that he doesn't have immediate plans to use it. 2) About "crossing this forest to you..." they flub the wording here, but it's actually Guts about to ask how Flora knew that he'd be crossing in her direction (she mentions that she had an informer, who is of course Skull Knight). But that doesn't come across in this translation.

As to your point, I agree with Aaz that the God Hand / Apostles / Idea of Evil all relate back to humans, not magical creatures. Even their power can be argued to come from humans via the Vortex of Souls. Also, because beherits are objects governed by causality, I don't see how a magical creature could somehow use a beherit independent of its intended goal.

Top Bottom