Episode 340

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Beast of Darkness said:
Pre-ordered my Young Animal copy yesterday; I did that for the two previous issues and I'll do that every time a new Berserk episode is coming out from now on. :guts:

Good man.

Diivil said:
I always wondered, what did ganishka's fog do when daiba inhaled it?

It's never explicitly stated, but I think it enhanced his magical faculties. For example, with the lesser mystics it seemed to allow them to control the Pishacha. It probably was the same for him, allowing him to stay in charge of the whole "demon corps" thing they had going, and specifically the Kundalini itself, whose power he used abundantly.

Wesker90

Berserk devoted
I don't know why, but Rakshas apostle form reminds me of the one who had Casca with his tentacles during the eclipse...

http://i.imgur.com/5Qtb685.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/U2olEyT.jpg

Great Episode !

Loved Silat in this episode, so glad that we got to see the Urumi again. His clash with Rakshas was absolutely badass, especially when he slashed his face. This whole team work between the Bakiraka and Rickert was purely awsome.

Rakshas using the same trick as Guts from Lost Children was insane, he just casually ripped a horse apart and used it as a fire extinguisher :ganishka:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Rhombaad said:
What a fantastic episode. I'm always amazed at how much Miura can cram into approximately 20 pages.

So true! I'm having a hard time fitting 8 pages for my own episodes of a comic I'm working for fun. The man his a genius, or maybe I don't have good narative skills for comics. :ganishka:

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Wesker90 said:
I don't know why, but Rakshas apostle form reminds me of the one who had Casca with his tentacles during the eclipse...

http://i.imgur.com/5Qtb685.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/U2olEyT.jpg
Nah, I don't think he's a dick XD

While looking at the episode I was wondering if someone from Griffith's forces will show up due to all what's going on during the fight, be it human or apostle guards. But perhaps the fight will be over before they show up.

Aazealh said:
She also warns her girls not to try to peep, because if they're caught by the Demon Soldiers, they'll be either killed on the spot or arrested for helping traitors.

Could this mean then that Luka is aware such cases happening in Falconia? It'd be really interesting to know more.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
m said:
Could this mean then that Luka is aware such cases happening in Falconia? It'd be really interesting to know more.

Yes, it's the possible implication of that line. It immediately struck me as potentially being a big deal: our first clue about the darker side of living in Falconia. However we can't be 100% sure of the meaning until we see the Japanese dialog.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
You guys have Rakshas Apostle form all wrong; he's a Christmas tree (especially all lit up like that =)! The mask on top is the angel/star. :rakshas:

Kidding aside, the situation is literally dreadful (I am full of dread) since from what we know and have just seen of Rakshas it's hard to imagine Erika escaping unscathed, let alone alive (from a literary standpoint, I understand it's unlikely her actually dying now, but seeing Rakshas holding her like that gives me a feeling akin to if she were falling into the open jaws of a shark or into a wood chipper). I mean, the only glimmer of hope is he grabbed her at all and didn't just run her through, and it wouldn't be hard to imagine him treating her like that horse just for the psychological edge. Fortunately, Rickert's reaction to her is a double edged sword that, while getting her snatched up right quick, will hopefully spare her for the moment while Rakshas figures out how he wants to use her against them. This subsequently makes me fear for Rickert since I don't think he'd hesitate to offer himself for her. Anyway, unless Daiba, or Griffith, intervene quickly it's hard to imagine a happy outcome. Speaking of which, I'm starting to more seriously consider Rakshas/Locus are acting on their own accord, not necessarily against Griffith's stated wishes, since I imagine they usually have the autonomy to use their own best judgement in such cases, but if it were an explicit order would Rakshas really put it off until getting a new mask (not saying that it couldn't be that way, an open order to take care of it if you will, but one can make a case against it)? Plus, his reiteration that he indeed desires to kill Griffith just reminds me how strange and complex some of these Apostle allegiances are. Even Ganishka was "loyal" in his own way... Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see Griffith, the moonlight boy, or Zodd and/or the Apostle squad intervene on his behalf, especially with the fire drawing attention.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
You guys have Rakshas Apostle form all wrong; he's a Christmas tree (especially all lit up like that =)! The mask on top is the angel/star. :rakshas:

I'm not sure whether I should be glad or ashamed that I also thought of that (especially on page 17). :schnoz:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I mean, the only glimmer of hope is he grabbed her at all and didn't just run her through, and it wouldn't be hard to imagine him treating her like that horse just for the psychological edge.

Indeed. If Erica was going to die, I imagine she'd already be dead in this episode. Instead, Rakshas now has control of the scenario and can lead them where he wants -- namely, away from a place that's been designed as a trap for him.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see Griffith, the moonlight boy, or Zodd and/or the Apostle squad intervene on his behalf, especially with the fire drawing attention.

Yeah, in the last two podcasts we talked about the possibility of other apostles, namely Police Chief Zodd (you heard it here first!) intervening after all this commotion in the human residences. I think that's a foregone conclusion at this point, what with the massive conflagration in this episode. This quick assassination attempt on the outskirts of town has turned into an urban warzone, all in the :griffnotevil: PERFECTLY SAFE :griffnotevil: imperial capital city.

What an amazing episode! It feels amazing getting 3 episodes of Berserk in a row like this with no end in sight, it's totally reinvigorated my Berserk hype :guts:

Rakshas is my favorite Apostle so seeing this much of him lately has definitely made me happy. After getting a platinum trophy in Bloodborne yesterday it's been on my mind and I couldn't help but think Rakshas' apostle form would look right at home as a souls boss :p. I know that applies to alot of Berserk characters and the games themselves draw on and reference Berserk often but he especially reminded me of Wet Nurse Mergo (being the last boss I fought for my ending) with maybe a bit of Paarl and Nito mixed in .

http://cdn.segmentnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Mergo%E2%80%99s-Wet-Nurse.png

Very interested to see how they're going to escape this one. Cannot wait for the new podcast!

Pretty good episode. I agree with Walter that it's likely for another apostle to intervene and that Rakshas/Locus are working on their own. Erica will also likely escape unscathed. Or Daiba could make an important appearance. I highly doubt he'll be of no use this episode since it's the first we've seen of him since Ganishka.

Hello everybody! This is "Hexates", long-time lurker and finally a proper member of SKULLKNIGHT.NET forums.
I'm so delighted to be here - and just in time for...

!!! THE KUSHAN CIRCUS with their all-new program "Combat in the Darkness: Secret Feud", performed by no less than "Mr. Silat" and "Rakshas the Joyful Clown" !!!

qllnlrcw.jpg

!!! Premiers tonight in a dark alley near you - only in Falconia !!!

Safety Disclaimer: Some acts might be potentially dangerous up-close. Adults are held responsible for any unattended children and/or animals.

Aazealh said:
She also warns her girls not to try to peep, because if they're caught by the Demon Soldiers, they'll be either killed on the spot or arrested for helping traitors.

Falconia sounds like a utopia to me. :magni:

By the way, thank you for the summary, Aaz. I sincerely appreciate your hard work, and Puella's hard work, for us and the forum.

Hexates said:

The thing I love about those two panels is how Silat and Rakshas are essentially using the same fighting style (or very similar styles). I think it's pretty badass on Miura's part to include that, a subtle detail that shows Rakshas' past/training as a Bakiraka.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Skeleton said:
The thing I love about those two panels is how Silat and Rakshas are essentially using the same fighting style (or very similar styles). I think it's pretty badass on Miura's part to include that, a subtle detail that shows Rakshas' past/training as a Bakiraka.

I think it's most remarkable, and it's indeed one of my favorites from this episode, because it's the most recognizably humanoid Rakshas has looked, where we can clearly see what, at that moment, appears to be two arms, legs, hands, and even fingers and a thumb (plus we can see his pokers come out of his "feet" as well to mirror Silat's attack =). I think it says a lot that this spectacular pose, I love the way his body is seemingly twisting/coiling, is the most "ordinary" he's looked (the usually statuesque and no less spectacularly posed Silat provides a nice juxtaposition).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skeleton said:
By the way, thank you for the summary, Aaz. I sincerely appreciate your hard work, and Puella's hard work, for us and the forum.

Glad you enjoy it! Puella deserves most of the praise.

Skeleton said:

I agree, I thought it was just awesome to see a Bakiraka vs Bakiraka fight. All in all I think these past few episodes have been absolutely marvelous. It's really a great time to be a Berserk fan.

Aazealh said:
Glad you enjoy it! Puella deserves most of the praise.

I agree, I thought it was just awesome to see a Bakiraka vs Bakiraka fight. All in all I think these past few episodes have been absolutely marvelous. It's really a great time to be a Berserk fan.

340 is by far my favorite episode since we've been in Falconia. I said the same thing when 338, and 339 came out.

Miura delivers, 340 had that classic Berserk feeling to me. Seeing Silat put up a real fight with an apostle, finally revealing Rakshas' apostle form, and what Rakshas did to that horse..... :isidro:

I can't wait for more.

Wow, what an episode! I liked the way the lighting looks when the flares go off around Rakshas, very theatrical. :guts: And even though I didn't initially like the thought of a different one, the new mask is pretty darn cool. Thanks, Aazealh and puella for providing the summary! :serpico:

Hi, this is my first post here, so I want to say that it's nice to be here, and I think that this forum has the best members of them all. Which is befitting for the best manga/comic/fantasy story ever written and drawn.

I wish to make a little prediction here. I think that the one who will 'save the day' is none other than Griffith and I think that he actually planned this exact or close to this situation. With saving Erika and stopping Rakshas, he'll show that even if something happens in Falconia, he'll be able to protect his people and that if anyone acts out of their will with bad intentions, they'll be stopped by their allmighty (apparently not all knowing) falcon. So it's great spot for him because he's not only a protector of the weak and a merciful saint that forgives those who harm and reject him, but he's also kinda victim here because his soldiers acted without him knowing that, so suddenly he becomes poor Griffith that thrusts everyone even though they are not worthy of his trust. Rickert becomes bad/mad guy for wanting to leave the city and the slap, in eyes of others becomes work of a madman because why would Griffith save Rickert if he had something to hide and deserve the slap.

I want your honest opinions about this theory of mine. Cheers

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
filipyoh said:
Hi, this is my first post here, so I want to say that it's nice to be here, and I think that this forum has the best members of them all. Which is befitting for the best manga/comic/fantasy story ever written and drawn.

Hey man, welcome! Now that's what I call starting off on the right foot! :iva:

filipyoh said:
I wish to make a little prediction here. I think that the one who will 'save the day' is none other than Griffith and I think that he actually planned this exact or close to this situation. With saving Erika and stopping Rakshas, he'll show that even if something happens in Falconia, he'll be able to protect his people and that if anyone acts out of their will with bad intentions, they'll be stopped by their allmighty (apparently not all knowing) falcon. So it's great spot for him because he's not only a protector of the weak and a merciful saint that forgives those who harm and reject him, but he's also kinda victim here because his soldiers acted without him knowing that, so suddenly he becomes poor Griffith that thrusts everyone even though they are not worthy of his trust. Rickert becomes bad/mad guy for wanting to leave the city and the slap, in eyes of others becomes work of a madman because why would Griffith save Rickert if he had something to hide and deserve the slap.

I want your honest opinions about this theory of mine. Cheers

Honestly, I don't see it. From what Luka says (about traitors) to he way the situation has evolved (with Rakshas seemingly acting on his own), it seems quite unlikely to me that this was an elaborate set up. Besides, Rickert and the Bakiraka are hardly Griffith's people. They're actively trying to flee the city and will more than likely end up opposing him down the line. And so far practically no one knows about them or the events that transpired when Rickert met Griffith, so why bring attention to that? I don't see the benefit for Griffith in passing as a weak leader who gets violently rejected by old comrades and can't control his monstrous servants. In my opinion, the false utopia were everyone is happy and nothing bad happens still is the way to go as far as he's concerned.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Welcome filip!

Quite so. I do think a rescue will be at hand; story-structure-wise I'd expect Daiba. But Sonia showing up with Grunbeld or somebody as backup is 100% more likely than Griffith. It would be a pretty big shift in Griffith's character to be personally interested in Rickert again after more or less coming to a close on the story of their relationship. Griffith does not have anything to prove to Rickert. Even if he did want to see Rickert safe out of the city for whatever reason he'd send someone else to take care of it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Filipyoh, I like the idea you pose! The idea of Griffith swooping down and putting a stop to this himself is very appealing and dramatic in my head. But like others, I think it would be a little too heavy handed, even for Griffith. That being said, I look forward to the potential conversation he might have with Rakshas once he gets word of the peace being disrupted in such a dramatic fashion.

I'm with Lithrael. I'd expect Daiba to come near and party with our friends Bakiraka and Rickert. Why? Because I expected (and probably many of us) Daiba to say some words to Silat and the Tapasa in the last EPISODE, a little encounter; that didn't happen, he kept himself unnoticed. So this is the golden time for him, if he's ever going to appear in the near future.
I like the idea of Griffith putting some order in the scene though. But now that we are theorizing... Just THINK how real shit would get if Locus was to appear. :rakshas:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, a lot of us called the Daiba intervention in the last episode thread. It's even more plausible now.

DarkAdin said:
But now that we are theorizing... Just THINK how real shit would get if Locus was to appear. :rakshas:

"This was supposed to be a SILENT assassination! If I had wanted to incinerate this rabble, I would have sent Grunbeld!" :mozgus:

Top Bottom