Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 68

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 68: Soaring Escape (Ep. 341) (1h 22m)

The thrilling conclusion to the recent Falconia section has landed. Hear all about how Rickert became an action hero, Garuda breeding habits, Rakshas' various cutlery, and Griffith gathering cobwebs on the palace patio -- all in the latest episode of the SkullKast. Stay tuned til the end for a brief Star Wars chat.

===========================================
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or by plugging this address
into your favorite podcast app: http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml

===========================================

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Nice podcast again guys. I liked the speculation of the sap curing Casca (if there is a tree involved like you guys mentioned it might, which makes sense when you think about it)

It's really gonna be interesting to see the possibilities on Skellig.

Just a quick thought here: didn't Griffith climbed down from that spot earlier? After he said :" it looks like I've been rejected" or did we see him again on that balcony? (I might have miss a scene since I don't have a physical copy of it obviously.)

Anyways, it's always fun and educative to listen to these podcast. So keep them up! :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Just a quick thought here: didn't Griffith climbed down from that spot earlier? After he said :" it looks like I've been rejected" or did we see him again on that balcony?

Yes, Griffith went down from there. Walter was being facetious when he said he hadn't budged.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Yes, Griffith went down from there. Walter was being facetious when he said he hadn't budged.

Thank you! I was starting to wonder if I missed something there. :slan:

By the way, a thought to myself I wanted to share (and feel free to move it somewhere else if I'm on the wrong thread for that) speaking of the king. Do you guys think that Puck could somehow be related? The few times we see him around when they are talking about the king of the flower storm, he always is either quiet and/or seems to know something but won't mention it. My best example is when Schierke is saying that according to legend the king is very powerfull (not in those wordings of course). Then Puck says to himself not aloud :" legend"

That always made me wonder if he knows the king somehow?

I might be (and probably am) really of track with that, but I wanted to get an expert opinion on that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Thank you! I was starting to wonder if I missed something there. :slan:

Yep, was just a little joke. I also made a joke about Terminator 2 and one about Lost, for when you come across those :griffnotevil:

Great podcast. Had time to finally listen to this one today. A lot of my thoughts and speculations were addressed and expanded upon. Aaz always has a very articulate way to put things, which fleshes out even the deep layers of the story.

At this point I'm not going to be surprised about the moonlight boy. I feel like there have been enough theories to exhuast any big twist. Speaking of which....

Star Wars discussion had me rolling. I agree with just about everything discussed here. My personal theory is Kylo is Luke's son and will kill him. Won't that get the golden calf bit of the audience furious? :troll:

I never had a very deep hatred for the prequels, even enjoyed episode 3 for the obvious turn of Anakin. Was it sloppy and did Hayden make me believe he could be an non advanced ai? Absolutely, but I could watch that one, even if said ai couldn't turn into a bomb and kill younglings. The first two will never be explored again.

I think Griff hit the nail on the head with the "pleasing everyone" part of the conversation and that Reznor reference from Walter. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Salem said:
Great podcast. Had time to finally listen to this one today. A lot of my thoughts and speculations were addressed and expanded upon. Aaz always has a very articulate way to put things, which fleshes out even the deep layers of the story.

At this point I'm not going to be surprised about the moonlight boy. I feel like there have been enough theories to exhuast any big twist. Speaking of which....

Glad you enjoyed it! And I think that even though we know the main lines about the boy, Miura will find ways to surprise us. Just you wait.

Salem said:
I never had a very deep hatred for the prequels, even enjoyed episode 3 for the obvious turn of Anakin. Was it sloppy and did Hayden make me believe he could be an non advanced ai? Absolutely, but I could watch that one, even if said ai couldn't turn into a bomb and kill younglings. The first two will never be explored again.

To be honest it's not so much that I hate those movies, but that they're basically the worst possible version of the story we could have had. It's really just a matter of mourning what might have been, as far as I'm concerned.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Salem said:

Star Wars discussion had me rolling. I agree with just about everything discussed here. My personal theory is Kylo is Luke's son and will kill him. Won't that get the golden calf bit of the audience furious? :troll:

I think Griff hit the nail on the head with the "pleasing everyone" part of the conversation and that Reznor reference from Walter. :ganishka:

I'm pretty sure I could mount a decent contrarian defense of the prequels and especially Lucas [does search...] because I already did! Behold:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=12259.msg224391#msg224391

Griffith said:
Anyway, one significant thing did occur to me during Episode I that should be said for Lucas, which is that these were still very influential movies for better or worse. I don't think there was such a CG heavy live action movie before Phantom Menace, and Eps I and II took it to another level. Now, it's common place, it's the norm even. So, as bad as it was for Star Wars and maybe movies in general as the sterility of the 00's set in, you can't deny Lucas' technical influence as a filmmaker; even when he's otherwise stinking it out as far as story, character, and acting goes, he's still revolutionizing the industry. Fucker.
Griffith said:
nobody else could have done it because nobody else had that combination of money, creative credibility, and power. Though I don't hold that against him too much since he made himself that guy, innovation is innovation however it's achieved, and doing it at all was completely his prerogative. He could have just continued resting on his laurels, which might have been better for everybody, but he wanted to make insane two hour CGI Star Wars tech demos for some reason. So, credit/blame where it's due, his influence on film-making, the modern blockbuster, and the industry in general, from the original Star Wars to The Phantom Menace, cannot be escaped.

Yeah, and I have to say again, modern blockbusters, which of course have their roots in the original Star Wars, are all basically made like the prequels (throw $200 million dollars of epic CGI on the screen and go from there), just with better writing and actors. BTW, how much did you ever hear about prequels before "The Prequels?" It can be said even the insane proliferation of reboots, prequels, and origin stories all followed the Star Wars prequel trilogy (I'm looking at you with haughty derision, The Hobbit). On the plus side, Star Trek (2009) and Guardians of the Galaxy are basically the concept come full circle and arguably what Lucas was trying to do. Also, even though the prequels are so infantile, I think even Empire had a bad influence because, rather than just being fun, the prequels took themselves way too seriously trying to live up to it with the political machinations, which combined with the aforementioned infantilism made for painfully unaware self-parody.

Also, I posted that Gary Kurtz article back then too, and my last line:

Griffith said:
Makes me want to see a "Revenge of the Jedi" fan edit based on his notes. :guts:

I just spent a few nights this week in movie maker doing precisely that after posting the article again in the Force Awakens thread. :farnese: But my consistent lameness aside... it's pretty cool! No direct image or reference to the "death star," no ewoks, Han sacrifices himself to blow up the shield generator, Leia is alone, and it ends with Luke burning Vader. :badbone:

Hopefully the new movie is picking up where those notes left off, at least where Luke is concerned.

Aazealh said:
To be honest it's not so much that I hate those movies, but that they're basically the worst possible version of the story we could have had. It's really just a matter of mourning what might have been, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, it made Star Wars a laughingstock for over a decade, pretty much until now. That was an awful way for things to turn out considering it was riding high going in (kind of like now). After that, besides the old fans that bitterly remembered, it was basically something stupid or for younglings only. :sad:

THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT THOUGH! :mozgus:

Out of all this time since jr. high, I never even thought about the Post episode 1 CGI world we live in being because of Star Wars. Obviously the original trilogy influenced so much, but GOLLY!

So, we have to blame Lucas for basically being the catalyst for Avatar. That is just....terrible.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Yeah, and I have to say again, modern blockbusters, which of course have their roots in the original Star Wars, are all basically made like the prequels (throw $200 million dollars of epic CGI on the screen and go from there), just with better writing and actors.

Did it really "pioneer" that or did it just ride that CGI wave early though? It's been so long I honestly can't remember.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Did it really "pioneer" that or did it just ride that CGI wave early though? It's been so long I honestly can't remember.

Well, as much as CGI was inevitable, he was the first to take it to such an extreme, that's basically standard today, or even beyond; what I'm saying is, I'm not sure Hayden Christensen wasn't completely computer generated.

Yozuru

"I say when it ends!" - Lucina
Been listening to you guys during my work time at home, you guys are fun! I didn't get a lot of work done because I was listening to intently! :farnese:

I don't have any friends with whom I can discuss the episodes of Berserk so it's really enjoyable listening to this. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yozuru said:
I don't have any friends with whom I can discuss the episodes of Berserk so it's really enjoyable listening to this. :guts:

This is pretty much why I started doing this thing. There's no one I know in my area who I can discuss Berserk with. And while me, Aaz and Griff talk regularly, it's 99% of the time on chat or email. There's something magical about having the mic on. In fact, you can hear our very first test session together in ... Episode 1!

Yozuru

Walter said:
This is pretty much why I started doing this thing. There's no one I know in my area who I can discuss Berserk with. And while me, Aaz and Griff talk regularly, it's 99% of the time on chat or email. There's something magical about having the mic on. In fact, you can hear our very first test session together in ... Episode 1!

Hiya Walt! (If you're comfortable with me calling you that) I definitely have to check it out. I have been skipping around a bit because you guys covered some episodes I want to hear in detail. I have a lot of free time when I'm working so it'll be lovely to hear you guys on the first one. I have been queing up on the floracast also, which will be interesting! You guys are super cool so it feels like I'm there in the discussion, which shows how great you guys are at doing this. :ubik:

Please keep up the hard work. :casca:

Yozuru

JMP said:
Thanks for the podcast, guys! :ubik:

I really want to like the new Star Wars movie, so I'm hoping it'll be good!

I hope it is good also! Hopefully it is not just an action movie with Star War references, I want that epic Sci-Fi fantasy feeling! :isidro:

You guys need a sound board or something so you can just push a button and we all get to hear Aazeahl say "fucking furries man" over and over again. :ganishka:

I'm late but good show as always.

Top Bottom