Amicable break-ups

My boyfriend of two years and I recently decided to break up with each other and go our separate ways. It was mutual break up and we both decided that we wanted to do other things with our lives and not necessarily with each other. This break up went way much smoothly than I expected it to. We had a long talk and we both realized some where along the line that our relationship had evolved from romance to just being friends and that it was time to see break it off. We did not yell or have any unpleasantness, actually it was a good long refreshing conversation that had us both laughing and even reminiscing on the fun we had had together and feeling actually good afterwards. We got everything we felt out in the open and we both agree that we still like each other and that we both still think very highly and still want to be friends with each other.

We have never had problems with each other and there was never animosity. Some people are shocked we decided to break up. But we both decided that our relationship had run it's course and it was time to move on. We also agreed that is is a final "break up" and that neither of us would be entertaining thoughts of "getting back together" at some point. I have had very little bitter or ugly break ups with former boyfriends, but even in those case a break is usually some what unpleasant. This was surprisingly not. Has any one else experienced an amicable break up like this before? It seems like a lot of people have nothing but horror stories to tell about breaking up with their significant other.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
There's a whole Seinfeld episode on how this is a myth, so it's good to hear it ended well for you two. :casca:

I think how a romantic relationship ends says a lot about how each person involved treats relationships in general. Personally, I've never had one that ended how I would term amicably, but I've been dating my wife for 12 years and have been happily married for almost 8 years.

I haven't experienced an amicable break up myself, but a few of my friends have. Generally I think it's rare, most of the time something happens to cause a break up, or one person wants to move on and the other doesn't.

A few times one person has had to break up and the other doesn't really give a shit, but I wouldn't call that amicable.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Vixen, I'm glad you were able to stay friends. I dated my friend for about five years before we decided things weren't working out. We're still friends, and I'd say she's my best friend. I've done double dates with her boyfriend and women who I've dated. In sadder news, I broke up with my short-term girlfriend recently. I'm hoping we can still be friends because I didn't have an issue with her as a person, we just agreed we weren't compatabile as boyfriend and girlfriend.

Top Bottom