What to expect in Elfhelm

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've been meaning to make a thread laying out speculation about what might happen in Elfhelm for years but never got around to it. I've said it many times over the years, but to me it's absolutely clear that the time spent in Elfhelm will be a turning point for Berserk, one from which Guts' band will emerge on a trajectory that will directly collide with Griffith and his allies. Anyway, now that it's just around the corner I figured it's about time I make this thread. Below are observations and speculations that have been floating in my head for a while. Feel free to comment on them or bring up your own.

1) Casca's return

No doubt the most important and most obvious thing about Elfhelm is that it will bring Casca's excruciatingly long period of darkness to an end. Guts undertook the journey for her sake in volume 22, and eventually learned from the Skull Knight in volume 28 that the destination might not just be a safe haven for her, but hold the key to her recovery. Now just to be clear, I fully believe that Casca will be cured in one way or another. After so long, I don't believe Miura would have the heart to deny it to us. But more importantly, it is by far the most interesting development possible for her, for the group at large and for the story in general.

It will provide heartwrenching drama with Guts, but also no doubt some of the warmest moments yet to be featured in the story. It will provide a good deal of humor as well (e.g. as the others watch her boss Guts around) and will dramatically change the dynamics of the group. So far, the leadership has been shared between people. Guts has been continuously delegating authority to others, like Schierke or Roderick, while in the end he really was the one in command and everyone knew it. But Casca has the potential to be a true and exceptional leader, and better yet she can do this without taking anything away from the other characters. Guts will still be his reckless self, Schierke will still be the authority on magic, and so on.

As a fighter, Casca will obviously have to evolve beyond what she was during the Golden Age arc. Elfhelm is the perfect opportunity for that, as it will likely house powerful relics on which she will be able to draw, and provide opportunities for honing existing (if rusty) skills and developing new ones.

Beyond that, Casca will make the eventual confrontation with Griffith all the more poignant and will make it sweeter by pitting not just Griffith's former top fighter against his empire of evil, but his former top commander and right-hand woman as well. Going back to her interaction with the group, her return will free Farnese from her former caretaking duties and allow her to further develop into the great person she's meant to be. Their relationship will of course also be interesting in its own regard as Farnese will have to face her delusions about Guts while also learning to deal with the "true" Casca, after months of having known her in a very different - yet very intimate - way.

2) Farnese's rise

Beyond greeting the new Casca, Farnese is in for a lot of change in Elfhelm. She will be surrounded by more astral beings than she ever has before and her magical training will likely greatly benefit from it. She might even learn from people other than Schierke. She's already graduated from being a simple assistant when she cast the protection of the four kings on the Sea Horse, and I believe she might branch into a more specialized form of magic from now on, gaining skills that won't just be replicas of what Schierke can muster.

Her mental state will also keep evolving and I expect her to gain in confidence as well as for a desire to redeem herself to emerge, beyond just wanting to become stronger. Aside from her feelings for Guts, she will have to deal with Roderick and determine whether she is interested in him or not. Last but not least comes Serpico, who's been shadowing her since the very beginning in a strange and unhealthy codependent relationship. That will have to change too, and perhaps it will be the most drastic change of them all so far. And, in a twist given their past, not necessarily for her.

3) Serpico's emancipation

Serpico is the character who's least evolved out of the core group. He has remained mostly static while Farnese grew, and now she's all but outgrown him. While a competent fighter, he's become almost a shadow of his former self, with no cause to fight for and no one to really serve and watch over anymore. He's the one who needs change the most, and Elfhelm provides the perfect avenue for that. He will need to find himself, to embrace his nature, to undergo the same transformation Farnese has over the years in order to reveal his true potential. He once reflected on how the wind element was so unlike him, but he might just prove himself wrong in the end. There also remains the matter of fixing himself a goal. Will the protection of Farnese suffice? We'll see matter, but I think that would be underwhelming.

4) Isidro's growth

Isidro has grown considerably since he was introduced in volume 18, but he still has a lot of untapped potential. He will stand to benefit from obtaining more equipment, developing more and better skills, and learning more about the himself and the world. Much like Serpico (and the rest of the group), Elfhelm will be a turning point after which merely tagging along won't do. Can he bring forth the means to match his ambition? Can he keep up and even catch up to the others when it comes to fighting big time opponents? He probably won't have the choice.

This brings up the possibility of a time skip at some point in Elfhelm. It has been a long time since one happened, but the time is ripe for it. In fact, I would say that either one will happen around that time, or there won't be one till the end of the series. A time skip would benefit several characters: Isidro, Schierke, even Rickert. It would also allow character relationships and attributes to evolve off screen and bring the excitement of rediscovery. It would explain why we saw so much of Falconia and also provide an avenue for rediscovery. And it would make the group's return to the continent, a continent drastically changed from what they once knew, all the more riveting. Speaking of Rickert, it would give him and the Bakiraka time to strengthen their bond and form a serious fighting force. Lastly, being older would create more opportunities for Isidro and Schierke to move beyond their awkward faux rivalry into awkward romance.

5) Schierke's resolve

Much like Isidro, Schierke would greatly benefit from growing up. Aside from social awkwardness, her age has been holding her back. Elfhelm will also be a goldmine for her, a dream come true. She's not just coming home, she's walking into the chocolate factory. She will meet powerful astral beings, receive deep knowledge, obtain rare relics (staff upgrade? you heard it here first)... And maybe even meet other magic practioners, people who will help expand her abilities further. And who knows, she might even see her old mentor again, in some form... Another person she might learn from is Casca. The two of them are almost complete opposites: a shy girl who grew up loved and secluded and developed an affinity for the esoteric arts pitted against a peasant who fought her way out of a miserable life in a masculine world of violence and death. This is why they have to learn from each other, and I believe Casca has the potential to be a strong role model for her.

Schierke has grown into a really key player in Berserk's world but like the others, she's sort of just been along for the ride so far. She will have to resolve herself to fight for what she believes in, and not simply to avenge her master (a topic I'm sure Guts will have interesting things to tell to her about) but because it's the right thing to do. Will she be overwhelmed by their opponents, like she was in volume 24? Or will she vow to stand for what is good against the supremely evil? And can she reconcile her feelings about people with the fact they are more victims than perpetrators in the grand scheme of things?

6) Puck's triumph

I mentioned the stagnation of Serpico, but if one character had to be pointed out as getting less exposure, it would surely be Puck. Once the sole sidekick of Guts, he's had to make space for his growing group of companions and as a result it has sometimes seemed like he fell by the wayside. He's as present as ever, but his role has been mainly comedic for a while, making us nostalgic about the olden days. Again when it comes to Puck, if there ever was an opportunity for a change, it is definitely Elfhelm, his home and the destination he suggested to Guts in the first place. For all our familiarity with his character, Puck has mostly remained a mystery to us. We don't know his age (wait till you learn he's really 180 year old), we don't know for sure why (or how) he left Elfhelm in the first place, we don't know his status there (Troublemaker? Prince? Outcast? Prodigal son?)... We really don't know much of anything. I dare not believe it, but it would be a pleasing twist of fate if it was eventually learned that for all his elfin fickleness and mischievousness, Puck had found and stayed with Guts for a good reason.

She's a more minor character, but Elfhelm will also provide opportunities for Ivalera to be fleshed out. Generally speaking, we'll learn more about elves, about all the different kinds of elves, about their history, culture, nature, rapport to humankind and so forth. And that's not to mention all the other astral beings we might find dwelling there.

7) Azan's redemption

Azan has followed a strange path in the story. He's been back with the group for a while now, but has stubbornly refused to reveal his identity, nevermind that everyone knows it already. He still bears the guilt of what happened in Albion and that has to go away for him to truly integrate the group. Elfhelm holds the necessary ingredients for him to get back to the basics, not discarding his faith but reconsidering its nature (his ironclad morality and honor) so that he can once again stand proudly. He's the character that I believe might be the first to recognize the righteousness of opposing the God Hand, and will immediately embrace the cause. It will also be the occasion for him to get his hands on tools that befit the task at hand, and by that I mean that the earth element awaits him somewhere in there.

8) Roderick's choice

What will the future hold for Roderick? As much as certain things seem clear to me, his fate is amongst the least discernible. He's first and foremost a sailor, and the sea trip is reaching its end. I believe he and his men will remain on the island with the group, but continuing on after that will be another endeavor altogether, especially if the return trip does not involve a ship (and I don't think it will). Developing a deeper relationship with Farnese would help in that regard, by providing him an incentive for him to stick by her. However it remains to be seen what skill he would bring to the group: while a competent fighter, he's nothing special.

Magnifico is another wild card, although a less interesting one. I expect him to eventually remain on Elfhelm, either having found the life there pleasant enough, or having been turned into a servant of sorts (or both at the same time), a fitting end for a man of his caliber.

9) Isma's fate

Isma and the merrows are another set of characters whose role in the story is difficult to assess. They're sea-based and most interesting in that element. Isma can walk on land, but her defining feature requires the presence of the sea. That leads me to believe that she may not stick around forever. Her people certainly won't, and choosing to stay behind would be surely be an agonizing choice. It is also not clear exactly how she could further develop from this moment on. That being said, she's charming enough as a character to be able to grow into something more, and her presence makes for an interesting proto-love triangle with Isidro and Schierke.

10) The Elf King's power

The King of the Flower Storm rules over Elfhelm. His power is legendary, and much of what's to come hinges on his ability and willingness to shelter, aid and educate our group of friends. He has, just by himself, the potential to make this part of the story more significant than what happened at Flora's mansion. Other than curing Casca, he may have an impact on the brand, on the Berserk's armor, on the beherit, on Guts' mental trauma and the Beast of Darkness... And on their knowledge of the world and what it underwent, on the God Hand and their plans, on the Skull Knight, on the Moonlight Boy... He might provide the group with a way back through magical means, and with clues as to how they should proceed against their enemies. Few characters in the story have had so many things depending on them... And then there's all the rest I haven't seen coming yet.

11) The Boy's role

The Moonlight Boy, so named after the episode in which he first appeared ("The Boy in the Moonlight"), might be the biggest wildcard in the whole story. There is a lot we have figured out about him (that he is Guts and Casca's child, that he now has intimate ties to Griffith), but at the same time there also is much we don't know. Elfhelm will be the opportunity for the group to learn more about him. The King of the Flower Storm should be able to help, as might the Skull Knight if he shows up there, and so on with other characters/locations/events we have yet to see. Of course, there will also be the matter of Casca's relationship with him once she is cured. Will she still instinctively know who he is? How will she react? Could she initially reject him? And what will be Guts' own reaction? Will he feel the need to redeem himself towards his son? Will he be conflicted if he learns of his entwining with Griffith? There is a lot of big character development waiting to happen here, and I think we may well be surprised by some of it. For one thing, the boy himself could be reason enough for the group to eventually leave Elfhelm on a final voyage to confront Griffith. Lastly, I wonder if his parents will get to give him a name.

12) Guts' rage

For once, I kept Guts for (almost) last. Many things hang in the balance for him, including most of what was mentioned for the other characters. His own problems are some of the most complex though. Using the Berserk's armor has taken a huge toll on his body, both because he's been getting badly wounded while fighting ever stronger enemies, and because he's been experiencing what the Skull Knight warned him about: slowly losing his senses because of its continuous effect. The armor has also worsened his mental problems (characterized by the Beast of Darkness) simply because of the way it works. By constantly fanning the flames of his rage and by threatening to overcome his consciousness at the slightest stimulus, it's made him a mortal danger to himself and to lose he loves whenever trouble arises. Elfhelm likely holds the keys for both of these problems, or at least ways to palliate them.

The Berserk's armor was created by dwarves, who are either a type of elves or at least a related type of astral creatures. Therefore it is quite likely someone in Elfhelm will know a thing or two about the armor and could help with it. The place is also known to be home to powerful magic users, and those could help mitigate the armor's effects like Flora did before she gave it to Guts. They could also help Schierke find ways to better exert damage control when the need arise. On the psychological side, Casca's restoration should help him deal with the trauma he's borne since the Eclipse. But the Elf King may also be able to aid him with that, not to mention other characters and developments.

He will learn new things, will have time to rest and reassess his situation... Time to make up his mind about his goals and why he undertakes them. For one thing, if Casca is cured, he will have no reason to turn his back on revenge anymore. Yet I don't believe it will be a simple decision to make. From the distance between him and Griffith to the power his enemies have amassed, not to mention the need to convince his companions AND the complicated situation with Griffith and the Boy (What if killing Griffith kills the boy? Would he be willing to go that far? Would Casca?)... In truth I believe Guts' movitation for eventually going after Griffith won't just be revenge. He'll do it for that, but also because of bigger issues, and that'll gave him strength. While we're on the topic, there will have to be an incentive for them to leave Elfhelm. I don't think it'll happen too quickly or that they'll be in a hurry to leave. They deserve to rest. I think something will happen at some point that'll precipitate their departure. It could be an attack on Elfhelm, but I think a threat to the world at large (and to mankind, specifically, since that's what the God Hand is most concerned about) is almost sure to come up.

I haven't mentioned his fighting prowess because while there's always room for improvement, Guts is already so strong that it's become hard to see how he could possibly get stronger. I think finding a degree of serenity or at least getting better at keeping his darkest feelings at bay (something he's already started doing while on the ship) will help him fight better. I also think whatever help he gets with the armor will contribute towards that... Provided he keeps wearing the armor, a choice that will not be without consequences. Then there are always some gizmos he could acquire, things that could replace/replenish/complement Rickert's grenades for example.

But the biggest potential lies with the Dragon Slayer. Godot's masterpiece is without equal, at least in the human world. But Elfhelm is no human place. If it harbors beings capable of creating magical armors, it stands to reason they can work on swords as well. Now I don't mean that Guts will replace his trusty sword with a magic axe, because that's just not happening. But we learned through Schierke in volume 24 that all these years of killing evil creatures have imbued the Dragon Slayer with some astral properties. And we had the demonstration of those both during the fight against Slan and the one against Ganishka. Yet it feels rough and unshaped, unrefined. What if the greatest sword ever forged was reworked by the most skillful astral blacksmiths in existence? What if instead of merely being coated with that astral stuff, the sword was tempered with it? What if it was further honed with runes and spells? Such a weapon would be fit to take down anything... even a member of the God Hand.

13) The rest

Elfhelm itself is likely something Miura's spent a long time working on. Beyond learning about elves and the world (and enjoying what's sure to be amazing sceneries... and antics), we stand a good chance to learn about the past and the future. Like what happened a thousand years ago, and what the God Hand may be planning. What the relationship between mankind and the magical world once was, why it changed and why that matters. The Skull Knight himself is likely to play a role there. It's all but confirmed that he was once Emperor Gaiseric, and now could be the right time for him to reveal it. He will also have to explain what happened in Wyndham and why the world changed, as well as decide what he's going to do from now on. He's saved Guts' life on more than one occasion, but it may be time for their cooperation to move beyond that. Meanwhile, the God Hand are likely not going to lay dormant. We saw them when Fantasia came to be, but have had no glimpse of them ever since. Where are they? In Falconia, in the sinister dome that also house the apostles? Elsewhere in the world, seizing up their own land for themselves? Do they have physical forms of sorts now? And if danger were to come to Elfhelm, would it be from one of them?

Thank you for the write up Aazealh, Listening to everyone's speculations on the podcast and now your article has me excited for all the new developments, and maybe even some unexpected surprises. Do you have any guesses as to if the Beherit will be used during this portion of the story? Also I know this have been discussed before but do you think we will see the conversation transpire between Guts and his newer friends about his and Casca's past? I know that Puck has a good idea of what occurred to both of them but it seems like the majority are in the dark about it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tama said:
Do you have any guesses as to if the Beherit will be used during this portion of the story?

It could play a role for sure, but the real question is: in what way? I don't believe it will be used to summon the God Hand.

Tama said:
do you think we will see the conversation transpire between Guts and his newer friends about his and Casca's past?

Yes, I think Guts and Casca's past (as well as their relationship to Griffith) will be addressed in Elfhelm.

First of all thanks as always Aaz for this read :ubik:, if you don't mind I'll question and post my thoughs about Casca, I know there is much more in the post but its the main focus point of the island and the one that I think everyone is more intrigued for.

I know it's been a long journey to Elfhelm and everyone hopes for a smooth transition for the group to improve in their understanding of the astral world meaning the Guts/Casca cure, the improvement of the skills with the elements or the addition or departure of some members of the crew. I hate to be a pesimistic but whenever I think of Elfhelm I always think in SK's words at the beach and my mind start making up scenarios where Guts can't find the way to be happy with Casca.

I know it's hard to say but, do you expect a full recovery of Casca's mindset pre-eclipse?

I can agree that it's pointless to carry with Casca for all this long to get her killed or something drastic. But what I feel it's that she'll recover all her consciousness and this will put her in a place of discomfort with Guts, sad feelings about the baby she was carrying, the lost of the Hawks, Griffith... changing Casca pre-eclipse to a new different Casca more blue and not the one we all hope to appear.
But I have to say that only the idea to get her leading Guts and the new guys as the old Casca make me feel euphoric :p.

Do you think a full recovered Casca would ask Guts to leave the seek for revenge against Griffith?

I know it's not very likely but its one question that I've imagined many times and the struggle about the Guts wanting to stay with Casca and the Beast of Darkness could generate some interesting outcomes and decisions.

I know only Miura know the near future of the series and questioning this random stuff its nonsense and we'll learn a lot of these soon, but I've to say I'm thrilled about what he has been preparing for this break period even I think about it in a darker way than most of you sorry :beast:.

Last words, the only thing I'm sure it's that the art will be awesome and sorry for my englando.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
luizao said:
I know it's hard to say but, do you expect a full recovery of Casca's mindset pre-eclipse?

Well her "mindset" is obviously not going to be the same given that so much has changed. That pretty much goes without saying.
And that things will be difficult for her at first is also to be expected. That's part of what I meant by "heartwrenching drama", the other part referring to your second question.
The whole process, growing pains included, will be most interesting to see.

luizao said:
Do you think a full recovered Casca would ask Guts to leave the seek for revenge against Griffith?

Sure, it could be. That's been speculated on for many years now. However there is the problem of their child, and I don't think either one of them would be comfortable leaving things as they are once they learn what's up. But more generally, like I said in the post, I believe there will be an external incentive for them to embark on the final journey. Either way, there will be plenty of opportunities for them to be torn up on various issues.

That includes Casca having to face her demons, and doing so while dealing with a drastically changed world, which includes a different Guts from the one she knew. Meanwhile her return might prompt Guts to face his own demons, and maybe to address his dubious behavior in the past (e.g. volume 23). Will their goals differ? Maybe. For example Guts may insist on trying to take out Griffith while Casca hopes to save their son. But without going that far, there's also the simple matter of restarting what had been a short-lived romance after a very complicated set of events. It's not at all guaranteed that Casca will emerge from her condition ready to jump in Guts' arms. She might need some time, and she might even resent him for bringing her back at first.

Everybody knows Roderick is the most important character of the story :mozgus:
As much has I want him to stay with the group and become a much more flesh out character, indeed his future, the rest of his odyssey remains unknown. Farnese certainly don't need him to protect her. Unless he's required for dramatic/specific reason to be a part of the band, I also don't see how he could be more developed/revelevant than he already have been.

I was also looking forward to a time skip but not necessarily on Elfhelm. But the way you put it, everyone would benefit (especially Casca) and the timing would definitly feels right.
It would rejuvenate the drive of the characters/the readers as much as the pacing of the story, the serie as a whole.

With such a goldmine of revelations to come, I can't wait to see the community reexamine all the past event :sk:

Optimize the Dragon Slayer unique properties ? Never thought about that. That's a exciting possibility !
Could there be a limited magical use to this enhancements ? Maybe a way of counterbalance story wise the possible resolve of the Berserk armor downside.

Great post Aaz! Personally I'm interested in how Skull Knights prophesy about Casca's cure will pan out. I'm expecting some significant nightmares and PTSD.

Great write up, really interesting to read. There really is so much potential to have occur in Elfhelm, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out (and in what order, especially if there is a time-skip).

1), 5), 6) and 12) have been in my head for quite some time for sure. I'm truly excited about seeing what's to come on this magical land, but some time ago I've been asking myself if is there any apostle influence to expect in Elfhelm. Never had I a clue to support a positive answer, neither could I negate the possibility myself, knowing that in Falconia there are some major apostles missing (that we know from the last episodes). I might be really pessimistic on this, but I always tend to consider all kinds of possibilities, and none of the fans I know could answer me. God knows I want that possibility to be put down so bad, so we can perhaps have some Skully time. :SK:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
DarkAdin said:
1), 5), 6) and 12) have been in my head for quite some time for sure. I'm truly excited about seeing what's to come on this magical land, but some time ago I've been asking myself if is there any apostle influence to expect in Elfhelm. Never had I a clue to support a positive answer, neither could I negate the possibility myself, knowing that in Falconia there are some major apostles missing (that we know from the last episodes). I might be really pessimistic on this, but I always tend to consider all kinds of possibilities, and none of the fans I know could answer me. God knows I want that possibility to be put down so bad, so we can perhaps have some Skully time. :SK:

I think you'll eget your answer soon enough. Check out the new one if you did not already! Good clue imo ln the island's protection...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the compliments guys.

DarkAdin said:
I've been asking myself if is there any apostle influence to expect in Elfhelm. Never had I a clue to support a positive answer, neither could I negate the possibility myself, knowing that in Falconia there are some major apostles missing (that we know from the last episodes). I might be really pessimistic on this, but I always tend to consider all kinds of possibilities, and none of the fans I know could answer me.

Well, the problem is that the island is:

1) Very far
2) Presumably not easy to find
3) Magically defended against intruders
4) Presents no apparent danger to Falconia

Taken at face value, I don't believe Zodd could just fly straight for a month without eating or resting to get there. However, with the World-Spiral Tree there is now a way to quickly travel through the world. In theory, maybe Griffith could help some of the apostles use it to reach Elfhelm. It's not sure they could get back however. The strange way the time flows on the island could also provide for yet another way: years pass by, and Falconia develops a fleet of ships that it sends to the island.

But really, all these things don't feel particularly necessary to me at the moment. They're just repeats of what we saw at Flora's place. And what would an apostle do once there? Kill elves? He'd either do a massacre or be annihilated by superior powers. Either way, not the most interesting development. Meanwhile, there are many other ways the island could prove a challenge for our heroes. Who knows what creatures might dwell on it besides the elves? Finally, if one were to insist on an onslaught from a powerful foreign enemy, I think a member of the God Hand would be more fitting.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm a little late to the party, but I also want to thank Aazealh for putting that post together. It has me really excited for all the possible avenues the story might take, now that the gang has landed on Skellig.

God, I can't wait for the end of December... Berserk and vacations! :ubik:

One little question: do you think that the "cure" for Casca could be limited geographically to the island? As if the magic power or don't know what that would be used to help her recover her consciousness could not have effect outside Elfhelm? I don't know why this crossed my mind when I read the last episode, but I'm a little "worried", haha

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Giovanna said:
One little question: do you think that the "cure" for Casca could be limited geographically to the island? As if the magic power or don't know what that would be used to help her recover her consciousness could not have effect outside Elfhelm? I don't know why this crossed my mind when I read the last episode, but I'm a little "worried", haha

I don't think so, because the root of her problem is a deep psychological trauma. So logically what has to be done is fixing her mind, and I don't see how it can sensibly be tied to a location.

I honestly think that if Guts decides to gun for Griffith again, the conflict would be keeping revenge out of it.

Basically, circumstances would force Guts to come back (group included or not) due to the Astral beings attack Elfhelm or the Godhand deciding to screw with them again. So he goes to finish everything, but the Beast of Darkness is trying to tempt him into going nuts. It's all but confirmed that they will eventually have to deal with Griffith and his kingdom. It's all a matter of when, why, and how. And I'm guessing that if it does happen, Guts would want to go alone, or take Puck along at most, thinking he got his friends to safety so he should be the one to deal with it.

Top Bottom