Little Things You Love About Berserk

Sometimes, it's the small details here and there that a story would be very different without. There's a difference, after all, between a small detail and a trivial one. So what are those little things you like about the story?

I personally like how, whenever we see Guts traveling with his companions, he walks behind them. I'm not sure I can put my finger on why I like seeing this.

500px-Berserk_manga_cast.jpg

latest

It's a nice contrast to Griffith, who is always seen leading his people at the front.

I also like how (in the DH translations at least) Puck gives nicknames to some of the characters (Serpy, Farny, etc)

Last edited:

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
That's a nice observation, looks like he's watching over them like a dad over his children and their friends. Obviously, that's far from how the group actually feels and how their relations work, but you got the idea.

It's interesting to notice too how they all got along and kinda started liking each other, with Guts being the one that keeps them all there. Schierke sees as her destiny to be there, Farnese got hopeless until saw Guts as a chance to live another life, Serpico follows and protects Farnese and Isidoro wants to be a strong fighter as Guts, whilst he only accepted them because of Caska's care. Now each of them care for all.

One detail I really enjoyed to see was how Guts' behaviour changed after he and Caska started their romance. He looks happier in a general way and much more foolish than before, which is not really his type, his heart softened. On Griffith's rescue he keeps being sarcastic with her even in such important and dangerous situation. For example, when he offers his hand being sarcastic, but she refuses right away and he makes a grumpy face like "ah, whatever", and then she holds Gut's cape, making him smile. Beautiful moment.

Menosgade said:
That's a nice observation, looks like he's watching over them like a dad over his children and their friends. Obviously, that's far from how the group actually feels and how their relations work, but you got the idea.

That's the phrase I was probably looking for. Good catch.

It's interesting to notice too how they all got along and kinda started liking each other, with Guts being the one that keeps them all there. Schierke sees as her destiny to be there, Farnese got hopeless until saw Guts as a chance to live another life, Serpico follows and protects Farnese and Isidro wants to be a strong fighter as Guts, whilst he only accepted them because of Casca's care. Now each of them care for all.

True, and while the Band of the Hawk were centered around Griffith, Guts' party is centered around him, making them the closest friends he'd ever had.

One detail I really enjoyed to see was how Guts' behaviour changed after he and Casca started their romance. He looks happier in a general way and much more foolish than before, which is not really his type, his heart softened. On Griffith's rescue he keeps being sarcastic with her even in such important and dangerous situation. For example, when he offers his hand being sarcastic, but she refuses right away and he makes a grumpy face like "ah, whatever", and then she holds Guts cape, making him smile. Beautiful moment.

I enjoyed that moment as well. In addition to that, I really liked how Guts kept making jokes with Judeau, at Casca's expense. That was hilarious.

http://i1.mangapanda.com/berserk/10/berserk-1556774.jpg

Menosgade

Lawliet said:
That's the phrase I was probably looking for. Good catch.

Thought it was what you had in mind. Thinking about it, it's really the best way they can travel. All of them can feel safe with Guts on their backs, watching over, and he can keep Caska in his field of view, seeing she's safe, what must be very comforting taking in consideration their past struggles. Everything fitting it's place.

Lawliet said:
True, and while the Band of the Hawk were centered around Griffith, Guts' party is centered around him, making them the closest friends he'd ever had.

I wouldn't say so, Griffith would be in that position. He didn't consider Guts, Caska and the Hawks enough to not sacrifice them, but still Griffith seems the deepest friendship guts had and vise versa (considering Griffith's monologues about Guts).
You could, however, say none of his friends now would do that, but it's not so simple. Isidoro already tried to take advantage over him 2 or 3 times, Serpico only stays for Farnese, Farnese doesn't quite like Caska (does in some way, but shows envy). Besides Caska in her normal state, Schierke is his best friend. Her maturity at a low age gives her some great attitudes and there's no reason for her to dislike Guts, he's the one who understands her pain.

Menosgade said:
Thought it was what you had in mind. Thinking about it, it's really the best way they can travel. All of them can feel safe with Guts on their backs, watching over, and he can keep Casca in his field of view, seeing she's safe, what must be very comforting taking in consideration their past struggles. Everything fitting it's place.

Fully agreed :guts:

I wouldn't say so, Griffith would be in that position. He didn't consider Guts, Casca and the Hawks enough to not sacrifice them, but still Griffith seems the deepest friendship guts had and vise versa (considering Griffith's monologues about Guts).
You could, however, say none of his friends now would do that, but it's not so simple. Isidro already tried to take advantage over him 2 or 3 times, Serpico only stays for Farnese, Farnese doesn't quite like Casca (does in some way, but shows envy). Besides Casca in her normal state, Schierke is his best friend. Her maturity at a low age gives her some great attitudes and there's no reason for her to dislike Guts, he's the one who understands her pain.

Perhaps I could have worded my post better. I was not comparing Guts' relationship to his group with Griffith's relationship with the Band of the Hawk. I was comparing the former to Guts' relationship with the Band of the Hawk. And since Guts' current party is centered around him, they are a tighter group and closer to Guts than the Band of the Hawk members were in the past. Also note that I am here speaking of Guts friends and how close they are to him collectively, not individually.

Also, while their companionship might have begun as you described, I think Guts' group has long moved past that.

Menosgade

Lawliet said:
Perhaps I could have worded my post better. I was not comparing Guts' relationship to his group with Griffith's relationship with the Band of the Hawk. I was comparing the former to Guts' relationship with the Band of the Hawk. And since Guts' current party is centered around him, they are a tighter group and closer to Guts than the Band of the Hawk members were in the past. Also note that I am here speaking of Guts friends and how close they are to him collectively, not individually.

Also, while their companionship might have begun as you described, I think Guts' group has long moved past that.

I see, I lacked interpretation too. But, I also wouldn't really say that. Maybe his friends now have a tighter relation towards him, because each got their reasons to be specifically with him, but he doesn't feel the same. He cares for them in some degree, they all went on trouble together already, but there's isn't really a reason to stay with them rather than protect Caska. I'm not saying that if she comes back he'll just leave them, they are working together very well, specially Schierke helping him control the Beast, it's comfortable and useful to have trusty people close.

With the Hawks, I believe there was more affection of Guts toward this group of friends, but maybe not as much of their affection towards Guts in the same manner of his current friends. You see, the Hawks cared for all in a big family way, and Guts was appreciated as their raiding leader, in many moments that is clear to see, while his care for them is better shown right before and right after the eclipse. Firstly when he asks himself why he "only realizes he had something once he lost it" (something like this, I don't read the English versions), and then right after being rescued from the eclipse, before regaining consciousness, he dreams about the Hawks walking to death and not being able to do anything about it.There's also the moment when he discovers Caska has gone crazy. All the good moments with Hawks come to his mind, moments that will never happen again. His actual friends wouldn't make this impact if something of that sort happened.

So, in conclusion, Guts' squad may be closer to him than the Hawks, though it doesn't look reciprocal.

I personally like how, whenever we see Guts traveling with his companions, he (generally speaking) walks behind them. I'm not sure I can put my finger on why I like seeing this.

that's just how Guts rolls, he is a very different man from Griffith and is down to earth and has never wanted or needed people around him to follow him or have authority over them. Guts is also first and foremost a protector. I think it makes perfect sense that he would take up a position that would put him in a situation to "watch" the others back.

Menosgade said:
One detail I really enjoyed to see was how Guts' behaviour changed after he and Casca started their romance. He looks happier in a general way and much more foolish than before, which is not really his type, his heart softened. On Griffith's rescue he keeps being sarcastic with her even in such important and dangerous situation. For example, when he offers his hand being sarcastic, but she refuses right away and he makes a grumpy face like "ah, whatever", and then she holds Guts cape, making him smile. Beautiful moment.

I noticed that too, that Guts started to act slightly more light hearted after he hooked up with Casca, and I really liked the scene where Casca grabs his cape after she rebukes him for getting silly in a serious situation (if I recall correctly) because she was afraid she hurt his feelings. And the sweet slightly surprised look Guts gives her when he notices her tugging on his cape like a little girl. You do not see this very often the manga and you get a glimpse of this again in the most recent episode of manga when
Guts and company finally land on elfhelm
. Hoepfully events will turn out where Guts will act a bit more relaxed and happy in up coming episodes.

I'm going to disagree with this just slightly, Guts formed meaningful relationship and friendships in the Hawks beyond just that of Casca and Griffith, he was just still suffering from his trauma from his childhood at Gambino's hands. Guts realizes that his place was with the hawks all along right before the eclipse happened and had made the decision to stay with them before everything happened. With Guts new group he has just learned from his past not to let prospect of forming good friends pass him by due to the events of his past. That is why he is more open and accepting of his new group. I don;t think it means he views them as more important that the ones he formed while in the Hawks.

You could, however, say none of his friends now would do that, but it's not so simple. Isidro already tried to take advantage over him 2 or 3 times, Serpico only stays for Farnese, Farnese doesn't quite like Casca (does in some way, but shows envy). Besides Casca in her normal state, Schierke is his best friend. Her maturity at a low age gives her some great attitudes and there's no reason for her to dislike Guts, he's the one who understands her pain

Isidro's action happened early on that is hardly the way things are between Guts and him now. There is mutual respect and liking for each other. Serpico is primarily there for Farnese but it would be true to say there is no respect between him and Guts. They are more than just allies at this point. It goes without saying that Guts and Schierke are very close and is in fact closer to her out of everyone. And I disagree with you that Farnese "doesn't quite like Casca" as you put it. Being envious of Casca's monopoly on Guts' affections does not mean anything. Farnese has grown as a person I do not think she would be that petty to actually dislike someone she has cared for for months by actively disliking her.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Menosgade said:
Maybe his friends now have a tighter relation towards him, because each got their reasons to be specifically with him, but he doesn't feel the same. He cares for them in some degree, they all went on trouble together already, but there's isn't really a reason to stay with them rather than protect Casca.

Guts has already shown this not to be true. In Vritannis, he called them his family. He also went out of his way to get Farnese (and Serpico) back with them, and while he explained it all away dismissively, it's pretty clear there's affection between all of them. The truth is, it's just a different kind of relationship from the one he had with the Band of the Falcon. They were comrades in arms, whereas this group is more like, well, a family.

Menosgade said:
His actual friends wouldn't make this impact if something of that sort happened.

I think you're wrong. Look at volume 26, after the group comes back to Enoch from the Qliphoth. That's when Guts realizes that he's found friends again.

Menosgade

Aazealh said:
Guts has already shown this not to be true. In Vritannis, he called them his family. He also went out of his way to get Farnese (and Serpico) back with them, and while he explained it all away dismissively, it's pretty clear there's affection between all of them. The truth is, it's just a different kind of relationship from the one he had with the Band of the Falcon. They were comrades in arms, whereas this group is more like, well, a family.

I think you're wrong. Look at volume 26, after the group comes back to Enoch from the Qliphoth. That's when Guts realizes that he's found friends again.

That is all true, can't realize how I could forget. Maybe because I've only been reading the first arcs recently, so I did a bit harsh judgment.
And also as shown by Vixen Comics and Lawliet, I mostly based myself on the beginning of their relations, which have dramatically changed already.

My point is disproved :puck:

Menosgade said:
That is all true, can't realize how I could forget. Maybe because I've only been reading the first arcs recently, so I did a bit harsh judgment.
And also as shown by Vixen Comics and Lawliet, I mostly based myself on the beginning of their relations, which have dramatically changed already.

My point is disproved :puck:

It was an interesting discussion nonetheless :)

--------

In keeping with the purpose of this thread, here's another thing I love about Berserk. It's Puck's weapon of choice, a weapon on par with the Dragon Slayer itself.

puckultimatestrongone.jpg

It even works on the fearsome Black Swordsman.

pak_deformed.jpg

Guts should just go ahead and learn Elf Dimension Style.

Hi guys, that's my first post on the forum (i hope not the last too!) XD

However what i really really love of berserk, or better, of Gatsu it's how Miura totally managed to mix the japanese archetype of the samurai/ronin (the cult of the weapon, swordmanship as the only way to live and to fight against destiny....) with the european middle age-renaissance: all placed in a dark Giger-Lovecraft-Howard Universe!!! Totally awesome

I think I just like how little "anime" it has.

You know? Like no teardrop on the head or the one guy with the huge appetite. Shit like that.

Puck definitely pushes it on occasion though, so I will give it that. However, I tend to ignore it and get back to the serious stuff

It feels like a western story that's adapted into a manga. Very appealing and approachable without it having to be included into my "shame corner" of anime. The ones no one can prove I watched or read.

My favorite thing about berserk is the tragic love story of guts and casca. Being some what of a hopeless romantic myself their story really pulls at my heart strings. :guts: :casca:<3

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
http://i.imgur.com/qZeEvYL.jpg

Combined these 2 pictures. Gives me the chills looking at it sometimes

Thought I'd post about another little thing I really like in Berserk: Puck's relationship with the beherit.

2mqrkap.png

Here's an item of no small importance, capable of summoning great cosmic horrors, and it's treated in this hilarious way.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lawliet said:
Here's an item of no small importance, capable of summoning great cosmic horrors, and it's treated in this hilarious way.

It starts right with its introduction, too, and has never stopped since. I especially like their antics during the fight against the Slug Count.

Puck-Beherit.jpg

Aazealh said:
It starts right with its introduction, too, and has never stopped since. I especially like their antics during the fight against the Slug Count.

:ganishka: That's a great shot, indeed.

-------

Speaking of cosmic horrors treated comedically, Puck's view of the God Hand killed me the first time I saw it.

puck_s_view_of_the_god_hand_by_darkkomet-d5udo9j.jpg

Casca's facial expressions always melt my heart, and she was especially adorable in Volume 26. I can't help but laugh even during rereads. Miura is simply a creative genius.

Context: Guts had just saved her and Farnese from trolls. She really does not like Guts right now, haha!

Unrelated, but I cringed a little a few pages later at Dark Horse's translation of the mini bombs Guts gave to Isidro. "Nut crackers" *shudder* I prefer the translation on here, 'Big Bang'..

Kota

こねこ ちゃん おr ぢえ
I personally love the time and dedication that went into drawing Zodd. The countless lines he had to do to draw his fur is amazing. An example of what Kentaro Miura can accomplish with a pencil. :zodd:

5413641-6726631349-wallh.png

One of my favourite things about Berserk is actually the lighter fantasy elements within the story. It's true that Berserk can be a very dark series, and I really appreciate how Miura isn't afraid to show the more wicked side of humanity that we often try to overlook within ourselves (as well as the brutality of the Medieval ages) but as with all things, dark cannot exist without light. The presence of fairies like Puck and Ivalera, Chitch, Isma and the Merrow folk, the magical forest sanctuary of the Mansion of the Spirit Tree, Elfhelm and the many fairy tale creatures that reside there, as well as our favourite trainee witch, all go a long way in enriching the world and giving it more of a sense of depth.

Yes, there are terrifying rape demons that want to impregnate you with their hellspawn and stick your mutilated corpse on the end of a pike, but those things are only truly terrifying when there is something light to contrast against them. More than that though, I'm a sensitive soul and a sucker for cute shit so the relief given from such things is more than welcome if you ask me!

Speaking of cute things, I may as well take this opportunity to show off one of my favourite panels...

3rye4Kl.jpg

Those seagulls sure took a liking to Schierke, didn't they? I love how the seagull on her head seems to be paying attention to the conversation, and if that wasn't enough, we get to see her reimagined as an owl. :puck:

Berserk is so fascinating in all aspects.

It is very complete and what i admire is the art design of the whole series. I mean i love the last issues of the manga with the fantasia arc cause it adds so many characters and creatures.

Also the concept of magic is very interesting in berserk as it is not a caricature with overpowered characters, it is rather a way to explain the mysteries of the world and the interaction between humans and elementals in a sort of cooperation that allows humans to cast magic .

The struggle of guts is so well depicted throughout the manga, and the fact that a sole human being is facing with god-like personas is so thrilling to watch and it makes us readers waiting impatiently for more , wanting to know how he is gonna face them.

The attention to detail, I guess it's more easy to have air tight continuity in your series when there's only one person in charge of it. However I cannot think of any internal inconsistencies in Berserk, in fact there are always details in the story that I miss. One example I can think of is Gut's second fight with Zodd, throughout the fight Rickert doesn't recognise Zodd until he transforms, because he's never seen him in his humanoid form, it didn't even occur to me.

There have been many new members since this thread was last active, so I thought it'd be nice to get their perspectives on this topic.

I'll add another little detail I love about Berserk: its title. I mean, I love how straightforward and unpretentious it is. Just..."Berserk". You'd never guess in a million years, based on the word Berserk alone, that the story would be this profound and masterly.

What I really love about Berserk, is the character guide we would get in every recent volume. First, because Miura always tried to stay true to proper romanisation, and second, because characters that actually appeared on the volume, or that would become relevant in the story in the future got always added, this seems like something simple, but some modern manga tend to drop this idea nowadays, and in older manga, you sometimes get the same main cast without that much addition...
Another thing I really like about Berserk, is the panelling. It's just so satisfying reading an early episode or a recent one. It's not difficult, it's not boring, and it always has things going even in the background, tiny details about the world, and in gruesome fights, like at Albion, you can go slowly through them and even though it might be difficult to follow at first, like in a painting with elements when you get the grasp, it's like the panels are alive.

Top Bottom