New Berserk Anime for 2016

Doc said:
Who currently owns the rights to animate Berserk? And if it's no longer Studio 4°C, does that mean Miura would need to personally sign this off or what?

I don't think Studio 4°C ever owned the rights to anything Berserk-related, specifically?

In fact, the notion of the studio adapting/animating a manga also owning any rights over the specific property is a very common misconception, I find. Of course, exceptions can be found, though it's rarer and rarer of an instance, nowadays.

When it comes to the Golden Age Arc Movies, you never see Studio 4°C mentioned in the copyright credits line (which gets clearly shown on, say, official posters, the dvd boxes etc). Rather, the credits line for the movies reads somewhat like the following: ©Kentarou Miura (Studio Gaga) Hakusensha/Berserk Film Partners.

The author and his studio are a given, as is the case for the publisher. As you can see, the "Berserk Film Partners" also got mentioned among the copyright-holders.

This is a very common instance in the Japanese market, where a production committee often (almost always, actually, in the case of manga adaptations) gets created for the sole purpose of adapting a manga series in some other form (say, an anime, movie or whatever). This is a board which might comprise any of the following: investors, publishers, animation studios, distributors, merchandise manufacturers, etc. Basically anybody who's actually putting on the table the money required to actually acquire the rights from the owners and produce the adaptation itself.

(Matters are usually way more complicated than this as the production committee is usually comprised of subjects owning different kinds of rights over the same IP. So the production committee will usually include the company owning the rights to releasing the OST, the one owning the rights to distribute the home video edition, etc etc etc. But I digress).

If you check the copyright credits line for the new anime project (say on the official website) you'll notice that the "Berserk Film Partners" are mentioned nowhere. The "Berserk Production Committee" is mentioned instead.

Now, this fact alone doesn't say much. Theoretically, this new production committee might be the same people behind the movies, only being mentioned by a different name. I do not personally think that's being the case, here, but that's only me.

Specifically, Studio 4°C might have had a seat in the "Berserk Film Partners", originally. But the fact a different committee is now being mentioned for this project makes me think we're not dealing with yet another movie by the same people who produced the Golden Age Arc. Ofc, Studio 4°C might still be the ones being tasked with delivering the actual adaptation, though it's still very much unclear and will likely be until more info gets released.

I guess I didn't actually answer Doc's question. In all honesty, coming by solid, reliable information about who exactly holds the rights to adapting a manga property into anime form is no easy task. Maybe some Japanese-speaking user will be able to go into the matter with greater detail. But I felt like delving for a moment into a subject which is only discussed on rare occasions.

Also, first post on skullnight by a long-time, Italian Berserk fan, though I've been lurking for quite a while now. Yay for me? :troll:

False

May you find your worth in the waking world.
Aazealh said:
He presented himself as a Berserk fan and said he was serious about doing it right. And they would do the entire series.

I'd be hurt forever after the movies that resulted. Seriously, what a huge :rickert: to the face.

Aw hellll no, they're using the same sound effects as that garbage in Arslan Senki. Everything from sword swinging to horseback riding is going to sound like someone is smashing the microphone against a cement brick. Literally the worst sound effects artist i've ever heard in my life. He single-handedly ruined Arslan Senki for me.

I wouldn't put much thought on the sound effects or the music they used in the teaser. Many times teasers/trailers are done before assets like that have been created or finalized. Typically just placeholder stuff.

Anyways, my friend sent me this today. Kinda cool that Berserk is getting some promotion from Stan Lee (though very likely it is his "team" that posted this).

http://imgur.com/AVB0qdX
AVB0qdX.jpg

And his official blog: http://therealstanlee.com/Guts-Is-Coming-Back-In-2016

I would really like to see more people exposed to Berserk. Hopefully, this 2016 anime encourages more people to check it out and read the manga!

On a side note, this past weekend, my coworker and his fiance saw the first Berserk movie show up on their Netflix, and without knowing what it was, watched it, then immediately watched movies 2 and 3, and now my coworker is watching the 97 anime, while his fiance is reading the manga! So even if this anime tanks (which I hope it doesn't, I'm actually super stoked for it as some of you probably know), some good can come out of it regardless!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Must have been the Idea of Evil planning all this. (Btw is the emoticon still existing? I can't quite find where/how to use it)

To prevent overuse, some emoticons are hidden but still accessible if you can guess the name :idea:

Yozuru

"I say when it ends!" - Lucina
I literally cried tears of joy when I saw the trailer! I haven't been excited for something like this in so long! :casca:

I wish I could get excited about this new berserk anime but I can not get my self too. I was so disappointed with the movies and that it destroyed my faith that a decent berserk anime adaption can be be made. I know I should give this a chance but I'm very skeptical at this point. Berserk is such a well thought out and and tightly plotted story with every detail to the story and characterazation woven just perfectly. Nothing is arbitrary in berserk and in these adaption s even the smallest miniscule change has the potential to unravel important plot points and characterazation which really screws up the the whole thing. And then it falls flat or ruins it completely. Berserk is not one of those mangas that you can change things around for what ever reason.

Yozuru

"I say when it ends!" - Lucina
Vixen Comics said:
I wish I could get excited about this new berserk anime but I can not get my self too. I was so disappointed with the movies and that it destroyed my faith that a decent berserk anime adaption can be be made. I know I should give this a chance but I'm very skeptical at this point. Berserk is such a well thought out and and tightly plotted story with every detail to the story and characterazation woven just perfectly. Nothing is arbitrary in berserk and in these adaption s even the smallest miniscule change has the potential to unravel important plot points and characterazation which really screws up the the whole thing. And then it falls flat or ruins it completely. Berserk is not one of those mangas that you can change things around for what ever reason.

I know how you feel very well Vixen, a lot of series unfortunately falls short and with Berserk's complex plotlines, it'll be very easy to ruin the adaption. For me, I think about the good parts of an anime adaption for Berserk. What I am most elated about is how the anime adaption will bring more fan to the series. (The increase in figma and merchandise for Berserk will be glorious. :ubik:) I am also very interested in the anime soundtrack that will go along with the adaption. It'll be hard to top Forces as my top anime track.

Overall if anything, having extremely low expectations can make it so you're never disappointed. I just hope that the adaption will meet that expectation and beyond. :guts:

If we, on an English speaking board, are lamenting how terribly the story has been adapted then what must be happening on Japanese boards? Surely there must be plenty of diehard Berserk sites and forums by/for the Japanese audience. Our mods here could do better continuity checks off the tops of their heads than the entirety of Studio 4C apparently.

That image definitely looks like 4C and I'll be saddened when its confirmed they are heading up this project. I just don't understand it. If there is this much backlash in the English speaking community then surely it must be 100x worst in the Japanese community. Why haven't they just reached out to the Japanese equivalent of Aaz, Griff, Walter, etc. for consultation/QA and do this thing right? They must be getting boatloads of mail from fans begging for them to do this right. Isn't there some Otaku around that would give his right arm while working pro bono to be a consultant?

At this point, they have to make up so much ground to the fans (and hey how about Miura) they should be on their hands and knees begging for another chance. The teaser should remove all doubt from our minds and whip us into a goddamn frenzy. Instead it took all of 10 seconds for people to realize the image is wrong. If they want to skip the Black Swordsman opening, FINE!!! BUT don't try to retcon the stuff that has been omitted, make an OVA down the line that fills in the gaps. This is legendary source material! If they would just adapt the damn story boards given to them on a silver platter then they might actually create something worth watching and, MOST IMPORTANTLY for the studio, actually make $$$$$$$$$$.

I'm really glad there are more Berserk animation to come, but the poor use of CGI by Studio 4C in the first trilogy of movies was a bit off-putting. I was a bit sad to see it makes a return according to the trailer.

Also, I have to admit I had no idea how hated the movies are in this forum. I too thought it had its fair share of flaws, but overall was not a bad watch and I was able to hook in a few friends, who had never even heard of Berserk before, into the series and they are now well into the manga and loving it! I think given the landscape of Anime atm, the Berserk movies were far better than most and I would much rather watch another 4C produced Berserk movie than yet another Pokemon/Naruto/One Piece feature.

Sure you might have a point in that regard...but, yeah well, most of us dont compare Berserk anime adaptations to those other series you mentioned, or any other franchise for that matter, but to the source material of Berserk itself, of which it is based on... (at the risk of sounding like a smart ass hehe :slan: )

From that perspective you might understand our contempt

Hanma_Baki said:
From that perspective you might understand our contempt

Oh, of course! There's plenty of room for improvement there. But at the very least they are attempting to adapt source material that is worthy of adaptation. That simply doesn't happen enough in Anime, imho, especially in an industry that is dying and the no.1 priority is to go for a 'huge mainstream hit' with plenty of ludicrous fan service just to survive.

False said:
Again, not sure if this deserves it's own topic but!

Berserk will be a TV Anime according to this tweet.
Jerkins said:
http://berserk-anime.com/news/index00060000.html

It's also confirmed for Summer 2016 (July).

Thanks for sharing !

False said:
Yay for it not being movie(s)? :serpico:

A TV anime will probably skip less content than a movie but it doesn't mean it will be good, we can't be sure before seeing it (I know I'm not very optimistic).

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
More details in English:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-04/new-berserk-anime-is-tv-series-that-premieres-in-july/.98320

A CG series doesn't seem plausible, so here's hoping the CG crap was just for the promo.

Uriel said:
More details in English:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-04/new-berserk-anime-is-tv-series-that-premieres-in-july/.98320

A CG series doesn't seem plausible, so here's hoping the CG crap was just for the promo.

Don't bet on it. 2-D faces pasted on 3-D bodies, "uncanny valley" inducing jarring CGI fight scenes - this has Studio 4°C's fingerprints all over it. This is gonna be just as bad as the movies, if not worse. I wouldn't expect anything less from Studio 4°C. I was personally hoping that Netflix would someday license Berserk and give it the same kind of luxurious treatment they did for Seven Deadly Sins - produce a Netlix-original Berserk anime series that was gonna be accurate to manga and have outstanding animation quality. All while not having to worry about by TV censorship.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
A TV series is a step in the right direction at least. Here's to hoping the shitty CG is the worse offender of this production and that we can get a quality adaptation out of what so far appears to be another mess. Trying to stay positive.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
A CG series doesn't seem plausible

Why wouldn't it be? For reference, this is the Twitter profile picture of the official Berserk anime account:

uVCcAkZq.jpg

You better not get your hopes up.

Jerkins

There isn't enough space for me to write what I wa
Johnny Apples said:
I was personally hoping that Netflix would someday license Berserk and give it the same kind of luxurious treatment they did for Seven Deadly Sins - produce a Netlix-original Berserk anime series that was gonna be accurate to manga and have outstanding animation quality.

The Seven Deadly Sins was animated by A-1 Pictures, just so you know. Netflix just did the dub and releasing in US and that stuff. A-1 wouldn't be that great for Berserk, but it'd be better than CGI. :magni:

Uriel said:
More details in English:

Tell that to the two CG series airing this season.

Top Bottom