New Berserk Anime for 2016

Since it is going to be a TV anime I wonder how many cours it's going to be? If it's just going to be one cour (which is usually 12-13 episodes) I wonder how much of the manga they will adapt? If they are going to actually adapt the Black Swordsman Arc from the manga and not just the Conviction Arc, I could see one cour covering the entirety of the Black Swordsman Arc, plus the Lost Children Chapter of the Conviction Arc. With a second cour I could see them adapting the rest of the Conviction Arc. Also the unadapted bookend episodes of the Golden Age Arc will probably need an anime episode to establish Rickert, Godot, and Erica as characters and to show the Demon Child's origins. Anyways I can only hope it isn't a full CGI series like the Ajin: Demi-Human anime is.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
TV series this summer? Got it.

The slow drip of news for this thing is pretty sad. How many more Anime News Network headlines can their marketing team milk out of this thing before it's out?

Aazealh said:
Why wouldn't it be? For reference, this is the Twitter profile picture of the official Berserk anime account:

uVCcAkZq.jpg

You better not get your hopes up.

His arm looks so weird in that image. I can't figure out the perspective but it just looks off.

Jesus, that trailer looks abysmal. For the love of god if the anime series looks anything like this then it may not even be worth watching. More (attempted) style over substance crap. How can any artist take this seriously?

In the 97 anime we had countless scenes where the budget was clearly lacking and therefore stills were used in place, mainly the battles.... here's the irony... the anime is still great and this ultimately didn't matter! If the content is good and well worked, you don't need flashy battle scenes and bones flying at you in 3 dimensions. All the beauty, realism and detail is sucked try with this amateur looking 3D. Sounds like the music will be generic too. Fantastic.

I think Guts's armor looking the way it does in the trailer was just a style decision. It hints to me they might skip him getting the Berserker Armor all together, at least as one full suit down the road. In the manga he was getting taken over by the Beast of Darkness well before he ever wore it.

Also each movie has been getting progressively longer.

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc I 1h 17m
Berserk: The Golden Age Arc II 1h 33m
Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III 1h 50m

We don't have a run time (or confirmation that it's even going to be one movie) but they can still cover a lot of ground.

We don't need an introduction to Puck because he was in the wagon with Rickert at the end of the last movie. So they might just have him flying around Guts from the start. They need a reason to bring up what happened in the past, so the grave yard of swords will likely still be in there (and I hope they keep the rematch with Guts vs. Zodd if not this film then the next). Guts will more than likely still have nightmares about what happened and his fighting ghosts at night will remind us that he's a bad ass. He needs a motive other than kill kill kill, and we need a plot as well, so they'll likely rush Casca running off and getting found by a band of gypsies (I forget their names). Guts runs off to try and find her, kill apostles along the way, and hopefully we'll end up with Griffith being reborn into the world.

I think they could fit all of this into one film.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
PENumber2 said:
It hints to me they might skip him getting the Berserker Armor all together, at least as one full suit down the road. In the manga he was getting taken over by the Beast of Darkness well before he ever wore it.

We haven't seen anything that hints at Guts not getting the Berserk's armor. All we know is that he's wearing the armor Godot made for him in the trailer and preview images. If anything, this hints at them skipping over the armor he wore in the Black Swordsman arc and Lost Children chapter.

PENumber2 said:
We don't need an introduction to Puck because he was in the wagon with Rickert at the end of the last movie. So they might just have him flying around Guts from the start.They need a reason to bring up what happened in the past, so the grave yard of swords will likely still be in there (and I hope they keep the rematch with Guts vs. Zodd if not this film then the next). Guts will more than likely still have nightmares about what happened and his fighting ghosts at night will remind us that he's a bad ass. He needs a motive other than kill kill kill, and we need a plot as well, so they'll likely rush Casca running off and getting found by a band of gypsies (I forget their names). Guts runs off to try and find her, kill apostles along the way, and hopefully we'll end up with Griffith being reborn into the world.

I don't think that would be a good way to handle the series at all. They should ignore the previous three movies and start fresh, faithfully adapting the manga. Also, Casca isn't found by a band of gypsies, she's found by Luka and her fellow prostitutes, who are on their way to Albion.

PENumber2 said:
I think they could fit all of this into one film.

There's no way they could fit all of that into one film, and if they tried it would be a mess, just like the first three movies.

This is just going off google translate, but the berserk_anime twitter just tweeted 2 new things:

https://twitter.com/berserk_anime/status/709922989337227264
https://twitter.com/berserk_anime/status/709923663806464000

It seems that on 3/26 we should expect new footage! It'll show at the NBC Universal booth at Anime Japan 2016.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
FIELDS, eh?

That's these guys: http://slot-berserk.jp/

HTML:
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OOg5ZLIZZHs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Special preview!!!!! :ganishka:

Walter said:
FIELDS, eh?

That's these guys: http://slot-berserk.jp/

https://www.youtube.com/embed/OOg5ZLIZZHs?rel=0
Special preview!!!!! :ganishka:

That video gave me a brain aneurysm. So much sensory overload!!
There are moments that I find appealing, but my brain needs rest after watching that...please don't let the anime have rainbow explosions.

jackson_hurley said:
The fuck did I just watched? :schierke:

Like Raffo said, it's a Pachinko and I remember watching an hour long video of the playthrough. There's a topic for it too - http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=14008.msg233805#msg233805

In my opinion the animation of it looks better than what we saw in the trailer. (I'm not jumping on conclusions about this upcoming anime, just a statement about what I saw)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jackolyn said:
There are moments that I find appealing, but my brain needs rest after watching that...please don't let the anime have rainbow explosions.

I make no promises! Seriously though, nothing is known for sure yet. It could just be that FIELDS will be promoting their Berserk pachislot machine alongside the new anime at this upcoming show. Both ventures are part of "Berserk Film Partners."

Personally, as I've said before, I think there's something very entertaining about the Berserk pachislot's over-the-top presentation. It's not something that belongs in a Berserk series trying to remain representational, but it nonetheless makes me laugh enjoyably whenever I see it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Here's what the tweets say:

Information for Anime Japan 2016: For two days, on March 26 and 27, in the NBC Universal booth and the FIELDS booth, a life-size Dragon Slayer will be displayed. Don't miss it!
Also, calendar postcards will be given for free on a first come, first serve basis.

(Second tweet) Moreover, new visuals and a new PV will also be shown at the NBC Universal booth and the FIELDS booth, as well as in other booths. More info to come on which booths later.

For those who don't know, PV = Promotional Video.

Walter said:
Personally, as I've said before, I think there's something very entertaining about the Berserk pachislot's over-the-top presentation. It's not something that belongs in a Berserk series trying to remain representational, but it nonetheless makes me laugh enjoyably whenever I see it.

I whole heatedly agree with you, there is indeed a very "sugar rush" like type of excitement I get when watching it. It's like I'm a kid in a candy shop, it's just an overload of awesome and explosions, it's just so over the top!
I just recommend you don't watch it full screen first thing in the morning after you wake up like I had done, hence the headache....

More news of the upcoming anime just came out! :ubik:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-22/new-berserk-tv-anime-cast-staff-july-premiere-unveiled/.100100

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Earthlingzing said:
Is that picture referencing from any part of the manga? Guts looks kind of weird over there.

Seems to be when he fights Rosine. He'd be wearing another amor, but the posters indicate they didn't bother with this.

Patrick said:
More news of the upcoming anime just came out! :ubik:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-22/new-berserk-tv-anime-cast-staff-july-premiere-unveiled/.100100

Great, thanks!

Aazealh said:
See this picture for those interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/earlbox/25857985382/

Personally I'm sticking to my "wait and see" approach on this one. I'll reserve my judgment until it airs.

I'll stick with you, but I'm glad that we finally had the chance to see Puck! :puck: (in the corner of a rotated page... :schierke:)
And is there some interesting info to translate that we don't know yet on this page?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Menosgade said:
Seems to be when he fights Rosine. He'd be wearing another amor, but the posters indicate they didn't bother with this.

What makes you think this is the Rochine fight? And he's wearing the correct armor now.

MiyamotoPuck said:
And is there some interesting info to translate that we don't know yet on this page?

Isidro and Griffith have voice actors assigned, which makes me really wonder what the scope of this animation will be. And uh .. Casca does too, so it could just be flashbacks for her and Griff.

Top Bottom