New Berserk Anime for 2016

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nildin said:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-03-25/berserk-tv-anime-new-key-visual-revealed/.100247

What exactly is the job of an executive supervisor?

Making sure it doesn't suck as bad as the movies did.

buttonmasher said:
Is it possible Miura has put his foot down and decided to take the reigns of this production or is this wishful thinking?

To me, him having that role is a clear indication that he felt he needed to actively make sure the guys wouldn't butcher his work, and I think that decision is a direct result of what happened with the movies. That also likely is a big factor in the current hiatus.

Delta Phi said:
I'm trying to stay really open minded about this project...but, does anyone else think Guts's face looks weird in that picture? It looks like some random swordsman is wearing a rubber Guts mask. I think it may be his mouth/lips and the way the shadows lay that's throwing me off.

Yeah the face is gross, the likeness is just not there at all. Hopefully just a one-time thing.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Rupert Sinclair said:
They must have consulted Art of War for that face.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Rupert! :ganishka: Guts's face seems to be a major problem area for people. It's not like he's an old man! :sad:

I'm really relieved that Miura's officially involved. I don't know how much he can salvage from the situation, but as far as I'm concerned, things can only improve!

DirectDK said:
Might be wishful thinking, but I'll be crossing my fingers!! It almost sounds too good to be true. And in less than 24 hours we should have a new trailer too. AHHHHH the suspense! :???:

After this new visual, I really hope that it won't be like the first one. Like you said, the suspense is intense!

Delta Phi said:
I'm trying to stay really open minded about this project...but, does anyone else think Guts's face looks weird in that picture? It looks like some random swordsman is wearing a rubber Guts mask. I think it may be his mouth/lips and the way the shadows lay that's throwing me off.

I don't agree with you on that, I think he's simply grimacing like a boss. But the features of his face are very accentuated by all the shadows, maybe you find it weird because of that.

To those of you that can, you'll be able to watch the new anime over at Crunchyroll this Summer!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-945233/berserk-is-coming-to-crunchyroll-this-summer

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Patrick said:
To those of you that can, you'll be able to watch the new anime over at Crunchyroll this Summer!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-945233/berserk-is-coming-to-crunchyroll-this-summer

Nice!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Patrick said:

That's really fantastic news. It's great to hear they're getting a swift, legitimate option out there to stem the flow of illegal downloads of this thing.

Now, if only that brand of rational thinking would spread to Hakusensha... :daiba:

Walter said:
That's really fantastic news. It's great to hear they're getting a swift, legitimate option out there to stem the flow of illegal downloads of this thing.

I totally misread what you said at first, lol. But yes, I agree, this is great news! Having the series simulcast outside of Japan with English (+ other languages I'm sure) is a great, convenient, and legal option for people to see the show. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up just yet, but this is getting me even more hype! :ubik:

Now all we have to do is wait for a new trailer. The news coming out lately has made me pretty damn hyped (I really enjoyed Psycho Pass and Bento).

And it sounds like Miura actually has some power this time around, so this adaptation might actually be good.

Hopefully....

*knocks on wood with extreme might*

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Here are a couple images from my wife at Anime Japan.

http://imgur.com/a/tLFmx

Always cool to see a scaled dragonslayer.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Some new comments on the animation from Miura, Susumu and the staff/cast: http://berserk-anime.com/news/index00100000.html

Trailer is probably a few hours away, but bed is calling...

PS: Lol at the Romanizations of the names (Isydro, Celpikko, Falnase, Grifis): http://berserk-anime.com/character/index.html

Aazealh said:
To me, him having that role is a clear indication that he felt he needed to actively make sure the guys wouldn't butcher his work, and I think that decision is a direct result of what happened with the movies. That also likely is a big factor in the current hiatus.

I remember the hiatus before the movies debuted. There was a lot of speculation that Miura was taking the break to work on the films. I think you were telling everyone back then not to get our hopes up as it was most likely a regular break. To hear you say you think he's working on this actually has me more excited about the project than anything else we've seen or heard.

Think about where we are in the story. We are on goddamn Skellig! As badly as we want to see what happens to Caska, I'm sure Miura is even more excited to finally be able to tell us! If it's true that he is allocating time away from the publications to facilitate work on the series then he must have faith in it...or he just fed up with the incompetence. Hope I'm not extrapolating into absurdity but seems to me this next year might be the best year for fans in the history of Berserk.

A band called 9mm Parabellum Bullet will perform the opening theme for the anime. https://twitter.com/berserk_anime/status/713562083544080385

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Description of the trailer:

Opens with a quote from Nietzche's "Beyond Good and Evil."

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

Translation: He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Guts swinging the dragonslayer at skeletons. Appearances by Serpico, Farnese, Azan, Isidro, and Puck. Previews the Susumu insert song 'Hai yo'.

Looks very janky in terms of animation. Character designs aren't terrible, but
Isidro
looks kind of odd..

Edited for people sensitive to spoilers.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
PS: Lol at the Romanizations of the names (Isydro, Celpikko, Falnase, Grifis): http://berserk-anime.com/character/index.html

Hahaha, it's a wonder they got "Guts" right. Although I was most pleased that "Skull Knight" was properly translated. :guts:

buttonmasher said:
If it's true that he is allocating time away from the publications to facilitate work on the series then he must have faith in it...or he just fed up with the incompetence. Hope I'm not extrapolating into absurdity but seems to me this next year might be the best year for fans in the history of Berserk.

Ehhh I'd veer towards the latter rather than the first. Still, it's pretty cool to finally see something other than the Golden Age arc animated, and Miura was clearly as eager as we were for it to happen. I just don't want to get too hopeful this time around because of what went down with the movies... See Uriel's description of the trailer for another confirmation of that.

As for the manga, indeed it's a great time to be a Berserk fan, but when hasn't it been? :badbone:

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Alright lads. showtime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXWDTb73AeE

I'm not too big a fan of that texture they're applying everywhere to hide the CGI, and jeez those colour on the iron chain nights are bright. But i like it more than the first PV that's for sure. Song sounds great too!

That Hirasawa track is great,
and that shot of puck, that's the scene from volume 1 correct? so they're gonna adapt both the black swordsman AND the conviction arc? i thought they were gonna start from the lost children chapter.
isidro looks bad.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guys, I don't think we need to spoiler trailer reactions.

Ken said:
That Hirasawa track is great, and that shot of puck, that's the scene from volume 1 correct? so they're gonna adapt both the black swordsman AND the conviction arc? i thought they were gonna start from the lost children chapter. isidro looks bad.

Yes, that scene is from the bar in volume 1. I guess they'll show some of it then, but the question is how much? I'd sure love to see the entire arc adapted, but the focus on the Holy Iron Chain Knights and Isidro makes me think they might just stitch something up to explain why Puck and Guts travel together before moving on to the Lost Children chapter. Also, note that the scene is animated differently from the rest of the trailer.

Regarding the visual quality, I think Azan looks the worst by far, followed by Farnese whose face has a weird shape. Isidro didn't bother me in the half-second he's shown, although his cel shaded face kinda lacks details.

I stayed up til 4:30am to watch this!!! LOLOLL. Anyways, the trailer was way too short for my liking. I still wasn't able to get a good taste of what the anime will be like. I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of the coloring for Farnese/Serpico/Azan, but I liked the Puck shots, and I dug the close up of Guts -> brand -> walking away shot. The skeleton scene was pretty much the same as the Dec 2015 trailer, so I still feel like that is just an artsy segment of the anime... Cuz it really does look a lot different than all the new material, even the Farnese shot.

Anyways, damn, I really wanted a longer PV trailer. Well, hopefully there will be more to come sooner than July!

(Good night!)

*Oh yeah, one more thing. That's one catchy Hirasawa song. It's already stuck in my head lol.

makes me think they might just stitch something up to explain why Puck and Guts travel together before moving on to the Lost Children chapter.

rrright of course, and yeah it'd be great if they adapt the first 3 volumes in their entirety. honestly, if this project is going to be this low-budget, then might as well adapt all of the black swordsman.

the only reason i'm slightly excited even though this doesn't look promising at all is just seeing berserk in motion.

MASTER-AMIR

Guts The Black Swordsman
Not bad.better than 1st Pv, Guts face is much like the first poster of the anime.
Susumu Hirasawa song was Awesome.

OMG NIETZSCHE
OMG SUSUMU
OMG PUCK
OMG FARNESE
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :ubik: :ubik: :ubik: :ubik:

That's one thing I didn't expect to wake up to. Can anyone romaji-ze that new Hirasawa song's name? (From what I can gather it's Hai no yō)

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Aazealh said:
makes me think they might just stitch something up to explain why Puck and Guts travel together before moving on to the Lost Children chapter.

Hopefully that's the case, as opposed to awkwardly combining Black Swordsman and Lost Children and using the hybrid as the starting point. I can imagine that would be a tantalising opportunity for the producers to save a bit of time and focus on the more "important" Conviction characters that actually carry through the story.

That's just me being a cynic though, I just really don't want to see Rosine and Jill get glossed over because the story is juggling them and the beginning stages of Guts and Puck's association.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Squiddot said:
Hopefully that's the case, as opposed to awkwardly combining Black Swordsman and Lost Children and using the hybrid as the starting point.

Ideally they'd adapt both stories in their entirety...

Top Bottom