New Berserk Anime for 2016

Squiddot said:
With as much respect as i can give, the large majority of Berserk's online fanbase is incredibly embarrassing. Especially the ones who parade it around as "the rape manga". That horrible musou trailer brought them out of the woodwork when they were chiding the people calling out the terrible subject matter that the manga would be "too hardcore 4 u". To say nothing of the general response to new episodes. I once saw someone literally call 344 "filler".

Yeah the online reputation of the series (and by extension fanbase) can be pretty frustrating at times. Like the person who's reviewing the new anime on Anime News Network (here's his review of the first three episodes FYI they were far more generous than I expected them to be) loved the 1997 anime but has been too intimidated by the manga's reputation (which he explains here in the review's article forum response), now granted some of it is warranted the manga can be a lot more graphic than the 1997 anime and occasionally gratuitous, but it's frustrating to see that the reputation the series has generated partially thanks to its fandom can dissuade people from trying to check out the manga/read past the Golden Age Arc.

I really wanted to give this series the benefit of the doubt but it's making it really hard for me. The only part I really liked was episode 2 when the Hirasawa song starts playing. Those 2-3 minutes were decent.

Everything else is either ugly or badly paced or both.

CCS said:
I really wanted to give this series the benefit of the doubt but it's making it really hard for me. The only part I really liked was episode 2 when the Hirasawa song starts playing. Those 2-3 minutes were decent.

Everything else is either ugly or badly paced or both.
You know the first thing i noticed in episode 1 was the horrible music composition and ( i know, no shit) i really have no clue why they didnt just keep hirasawa susumu as the music guy like the rest of the series. I also want to know where to fid the song he did for berserk (Hai o)

Gamehowitzer said:
You know the first thing i noticed in episode 1 was the horrible music composition and ( i know, no shit) i really have no clue why they didnt just keep hirasawa susumu as the music guy like the rest of the series. I also want to know where to fid the song he did for berserk (Hai o)

THe music is one of the most distracting parts about it. It's so terrible for the first 3 episodes.

ApostleBob said:
THe music is one of the most distracting parts about it. It's so terrible for the first 3 episodes.
I know. Tbh i only listened to the music in the 1st episode bc i was watching berserk like it was an experience. Now i cant even hear the music, literally. I guess i was so upset 1st episode i decided to start filtering it out. :magni:

Oburi

All praise Grail
So I'm scrolling Skullknight watching South Park on Comedy Central tonight at 3:00 in the morning after a long night at work and suddenly during a commercial break I'm seeing clips of this new Berserk anime. Caught me off guard a little. I didn't think Crunchyroll would be doing cable television commercials for Berserk. It was a good 15-20 seconds too, all devoted to Berserk with "Crunchyroll" at the end.

I guess it's not a big deal, and as terrible as this anime is suppose to be, I must say just the idea of seeing a Berserk commercial on my television during a mega popular show like South Park while I'm scrolling sk.net is a little surreal. It's kind of settling in with me that we have entered a new generation with Berserk. There's kids that are the age I was when I first discovered Berserk out there and they could be discovering this series right now this way. Hopefully that path will lead them to be proper fans and support the manga. For us this anime might be shit, but for some kids out there who are interested in fantasy and dying to sink their teeth into a new series, they could see a commercial like that and with an open mind they could discover this amazing series that we all know and love.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
So I'm scrolling Skullknight watching South Park on Comedy Central tonight at 3:00 in the morning after a long night at work and suddenly during a commercial break I'm seeing clips of this new Berserk anime. Caught me off guard a little. I didn't think Crunchyroll would be doing cable television commercials for Berserk. It was a good 15-20 seconds too, all devoted to Berserk with "Crunchyroll" at the end.

I guess it's not a big deal, and as terrible as this anime is suppose to be, I must say just the idea of seeing a Berserk commercial on my television during a mega popular show like South Park while I'm scrolling sk.net is a little surreal. It's kind of settling in with me that we have entered a new generation with Berserk. There's kids that are the age I was when I first discovered Berserk out there and they could be discovering this series right now this way. Hopefully that path will lead them to be proper fans and support the manga. For us this anime might be shit, but for some kids out there who are interested in fantasy and dying to sink their teeth into a new series, they could see a commercial like that and with an open mind they could discover this amazing series that we all know and love.

Yeah, the silver lining of this whole thing is that it puts Berserk's name out there, but the big question is how many "conversions" will result from it. How many of those who stumble upon these TV ads or who check out a trailer or an episode on Crunchyroll (admist hundreds of other series) will get into the manga?

Aazealh said:
Not saying this video has no merit, but I think we posted some pretty good in-depth analyses of why this anime sucks on this very forum...

No doubt, and the analysis has been great here. It was just interesting to see a deeper dive with visual comparisons of the directors previous work. It's so odd that they picked a guy of his background to do this. He's not an amateur (surprisingly), he just does bright little wacky comedy series mostly. It's bizarre.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
It's so odd that they picked a guy of his background to do this. He's not an amateur (surprisingly), he just does bright little wacky comedy series mostly. It's bizarre.

They probably had no one else or couldn't pay anyone else. This guy was free, wanted to try his hand at some new technology he isn't familiar at all with, and needed the dough.

Here are the release Dates for the Limited Edition BD Volumes for the 2016 Berserk series :

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/GNXA-1861

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/GNXA-1862

:ganishka:

VengeanceQuest982 said:
Here are the release Dates for the Limited Edition BD Volumes for the 2016 Berserk series :

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/GNXA-1861

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/GNXA-1862

:ganishka:

What the... :isidro: :magni:

No one is going to buy those at that price.

not supporting these guys outside crunchyroll, they don't deserve it and i don't want them to continue. these are standard anime prices in japan but you're paying for garbage, you're not paying for a few episodes of a good adaptation, you're paying for straight trash. It'd be better for people to put that money towards the new manga editions with the new cover designs, support miura directly :carcus:

So you're telling me that these DVD releases are not only priced at 200 dollars, but that this is the norm for DVD anime? um... that's just unbelievable. Like literally wtf? How does that even work? Why is the price so high?

I kind of find this all very depressing. We have a new anime and a new game coming our way, but my thoughts are confidently in the realm of "we've already had better." In fact, I'm sure many of you know where I'm coming from with this mindset. I'm excited to play the ps4 version, whenever that arrives, but I doubt it'll beat the dreamcast and ps2 games that came before in terms of content and quality. The 97 anime and the golden age movies, for me, are watchable. Even I feel the need to never introduce anyone to Berserk in its current form. Needless to say I'm a little embarrassed at the thought.

As Griffith said in the recent podcast, perhaps the floor in terms of quality was MUCH higher than it is today. Can't get worse, can it?

Wow, those prices are completely deluded. As a Canadian, it's even more insane at roughly $578 for the two. I know it's Japan but c'mon, they probably didn't even spend that much making it.

I didn't buy the movies and I sure as hell won't be buying this series.

Mammon

Mangoku army
Damn, that's insane. Better have hours of "deleted scenes", a giant map of the world, and boxes full of goodies to justify that price.

I buy the manga, and I've bought the 97' anime and the newer trilogy of films because I want to support Berserk, (plus other stuff like the Dreamcast and PS2 games back when it came out, but at least these game were enjoyable IMO, I know I had fun with them) but there are my limits... :puck:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
You know, I'd spend $450 for 12 episodes of Berserk if this was genuinely good. I'd go that far, even though it's a rip-off no matter how you see it. But given the garbage they've produced, who in their right mind would bother?

Top Bottom