Author Topic: A italian interview to Kentarou Miura  (Read 8271 times)

Offline roberto999

• Of the Nexus
  • The Black Chick of Darkness
A italian interview to Kentarou Miura
« on: April 17, 2003, 11:40:01 AM »
The following interview to Kentarou Miura by Davide Castellazzzi was in origin published on Jappamondo n. 3 (a italian magazine) and reprinted in the issue n. 8 on "Scuola di Fumetto" February 2003 whence I have taken it (please forgive my very poor translation)

D:Berserk denotes a certain passion for the European Middle Ages. How was it   born and how much did it infuence you in your job?

M:The informations that we have in Japan on the  western fantasy  are a little strange. I find that the Japaneses are without a shadow of doubt the Asian people who more of all love the european fantasy genre. This perhaps is also due to the history of the post-war period. The vision of the values of this country, in the West and elsewhere, has been for along time erroneously understood: I think that is  expressed in a  remarkable way in certain kinds of  fantasy in which determined images and dreams are carried on the paper . The greater part of the Japanese children has more familiarity' with knights whose body is protect from armors rather than that with samurai and theirs chonmage (the typical hair-do of the samurai, with a hat forelock collected on the top of the head, ndr). The fantasy  corresponds just to the magic of the sword. I, too, for how much I can to remember, have grown with this vision. In drawing  fantasy manga, I want to realize  histories that involve the reader. When I put myself  to examine in a deepened way the feelings of who makes part of the scene, it comes natural to me  to find  myself again in the European Middle Ages. Naturally it is not the true Middle Ages, but a bogus image, recreated, of Europe of the age, that  collects a great success today in a oriental country  like Japan. Probably,  the samurai or the ninja  drawn  from a westerner will appear strange to our Japanese eyes ,but perhaps the same medioeval world of Berserk appears strange to the westerners, is it not so? Rather, I am been surprised of the acceptance received from Berserk, not by  the public of modern Japanese which it was addressed, but by the readers of the place in which the history is carried out, that is Europe and in particular Italy...

D:I have also noticed  references to disquieting European painters/illustrators like Escher (1898-1974, illustrator/mathematician  specialized in "spatial illusions ") and Hieronymus Bosch (1450-1516, Flemish painter  with a predilection for the monstrous representation). Did you" study" their works?

M: I appreciate both Bosch and Escher, of which I have also  the collections of the works. Moreover I like the etchings of Pieter "the young " Bruegel (1564-1637/8, author of obsessive rappresentations of infernal scenes, ndr) and Gustave Dore' (1832-83, scultor, illustrator and French painter, famous for its illustrations of the Divine Commedia, ndr) while among the illustators I admire Frank Frazetta(1928, famous illustrator and American cartoonist , ndr) and Luis Morrison.

D: In Berserk it seems to coexist two genres: the adventurous historical one/and the fantastic/horrorific one, however it seems to me that the second has taken the upper hand. Do you agree?

M: Berserk is first of all a fantasy. The historical parts have been inserted in order to increase the feeling of reality ', for hurling the reader on the place of the action. Initially I made to coexist the two genres in order  that also the common readers read me, those that  do not feel particular interest for the fantasy and the fantastic genre. I did not want absolutely to make a work for  fans only.

D: The very long  flashback with the history of the Squad of the hawks allows the history "to take off". Had you foreseen it since the beginning?

M:The manga that personally I prefer  are those in which the readers  succeed "to tie themselves" to the personages, that is to feel  sympathy and compassion for them,to identify oneself with them. Like in a prose-poem therefore, I thought that it would have been better to tell the life of the protagonist, all of a breath, so  to strengthen the love of the readers for  Guts... Certanly, however it lengthened  itself  in a unexpected way! But  now what is done is done. But, in spite of my inexperience, I think to have given a good finishing touch to a work that succeeds to create empathy.

D: One of the points of force of Beserk during the flashback was just the wealth of personages, did you regret sacrifice all the squad of the hawks?

M: Strangely that was  one thing  that I have made with  great serenity. To let  oneself be taken by a certain personage it is not much natural for the one that creates the work, like instead can be for the readers. What counted for me  was that in manga the apparition of such personages  had a sense: there are moments for living and moments in which we are confronted ourselves with the death... I do not know if it can seem strange, but it is one thing that count a lot for me

D:Have you followed the making of the anime of Berserk? And as how did you  find the final result?

M:For the production of the Tv series I have been always  very engaged and busy from my engagements, but I do not think  that it was wasted money or time. In their limits, all the persons engaged in the anime are giving  their best. Naturally  I too, when the time  has allowed it to me, have collaborated with pleasure.

D: You have instead collaborated to the videogame of the Dreamcast..

M:The Anime  is focused on the squad of the hawks, practically only on the history of the black knights, the game is something different. Perhaps it is the first mediatic mix relative to Berserk and has upset the ideas of who had created within himself the image of Guts only like the black knight. Fortunately, in comparison with the anime I have had more time to my disposition in order to follow it.

D:Berserk is absorbing you totally,do you think that in future you will return to your work on "Japan" or are you thinking to another history?

M: I do not have intention to return on "Japan", but sooner or later I would want to try to draw something of science fiction. The exquisite fascination of  being a mangaka consists just in the possibility' to create "always different worlds" that they are not found elsewhere

« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 09:10:43 PM by roberto999 »
Hey I am reborn

Offline roberto999

• Of the Nexus
  • The Black Chick of Darkness
Re:A italian interview to Kentarou Miura
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 12:05:25 PM »
this is the original italian version for those of you that understanding italian would like to compare the two and for those (everyone) that would prefer the babelfish translation to mine  ;D

Berserk denota una certa passione per il medioevo europeo. Come e' nata e quanto la influenza nel suo lavoro?

Le informazioni che si hanno in Giappone sul fantasy occidentale sono un po' strane. Trovo che i giapponesi siano senza ombra di dubbio il popolo asiatico che piu' di tutti ama il fantasy europeo.Questo forse e' dovuto anche alla storia del dopoguerra. La visione dei valori di questo paese, in occidente e altrove, stata per lungo tempo erroneamente intesa: penso che cio' venga espresso in modo del tutto rimarchevole in certi generi fantasy in cui si portano sulla carta determinate immagini e sogni. La maggior parte dei bambini giapponesi ha piu' familiarita' con cavalieri il cui corpo protetto da corazze piutosto che con i samurai e i loro chonmage (la pettinatura tipica dei samurai, con un ciuffo di capelli raccolto sulla sommita' del capo, ndr). Il fantasy corrisponde proprio alla magia della spada.Anch'io per quanto riesca a ricordare, sono cresciuto con questa visione. Nel disegnare manga fantasy, io voglio realizzare storie che rendano partecipe il lettore. Quando mi metto a esaminare in modo approfondito le sensazioni di chi fa parte della scena, mi viene naturale ritrovarmi nel medioevo europeo. Naturalmente non il vero medioevo, ma un immagine fasulla, ricreata, dell'Europa dell'epoca, che riscuote molto successo oggi in un paese orientale come il Giappone. Probabilmente , dei samurai o dei ninja disegnati da un occidentale agli occhi di noi giapponesi apparirebbero bizzarri, ma forse lo stesso mondo medioevale di Berserk appare strano agli occidentali, non e' cosi' ? Piuttosto , io sono sorpreso dell'accoglienza ricevuta da Berserk, non tanto presso il pubblico dei moderni giapponesi cui era indirizzato, quanto presso i lettori del luogo in cui si svolge la storia, ossia l'Europa e in particolare l'Italia...

Ho notato anche riferimenti a pittori/illustratori europei inquietanti come Escher (1898-1974, illustratore/matematico specializzato in "illusioni spaziali") e Hieronymus Bosch (1450-1516, pittore fiammingo con una predilezione per le rappresentazioni mostruose). Ha "studiato" le loro opere?

Apprezzo sia Bosch che Escher, di cui ho anche delle raccolte delle opere. Inoltre mi piacciono le acqueforti di Pieter "il giovane" Bruegel (1564-1637/8, autore di ossessive rappresentazione di scene infernali, ndr) e Gustave Dore' (1832-83, scultore, illustratore e pittore francese, celebre per le sue illustrazioni de La Divina Commedia, ndr) mentre fra gli illustratori ammiro Frank Frazetta(1928, famoso illustratore e fumettista americano, ndr) e Luis Morrison.

In Berserk sembrano coesistere due filoni: quello storico /avventuroso e quello fantastico/orrorifico, tuttavia mi sembra che il secondo abbia preso il sopravvento. E' d'accordo?

Berserk e' prima di tutto un fantasy. Le parti storiche sono state inserite per aumentare la sensazione di realta', per scaraventare il lettore sul luogo dell'azione. Inizialmente feci coesistere i due filoni per far si che mi leggessero anche i lettori comuni, coloro che non provano particolare interesse per il fantasy e il fantastico. Non volevo assolutamente fare un'opera per soli maniaci.

Il lunghissimo flashback con la storia della Squadra dei falchi permette alla storia di "decollare". Lo aveva previsto sin dal principio?

I manga che personalmente prediligo sono quelli in cui i lettori riescono a "legarsi" ai personaggi, ossia provarne simpatia e compassione, immedesimarvisi. Come un poema in prosa dunque, pensai che sarebbe stato meglio raccontare la vita del protagonista, tutta di un fiato, in modo da rafforzare l'amore dei lettori per Guts...Certo pero' che si e' prolungata in modo inaspettato! Ma ormai quel che e' fatto e' fatto. Pero', nonostante l'inesperienza , penso di aver dato delle buone rifiniture a un'opera che riesce a creare empatia.

Uno dei punti di forza di Beserk durante il flashback era proprio la ricchezza di personaggi, non le e' spiaciuto "sacrificare " tutta la squadra dei falchi?

Stranamente una cosa che ho fatto con la massima serenita'. Lasciarsi prendere esageratamente da un certo personaggio non e' molto naturale per colui che crea l'opera , come invece puo' esserlo per i lettori. Quello che per me contava era che nel manga l'apparizione di tali personaggi avesse un senso: ci sono momenti per vivere e momenti in cui ci si confronta con la morte...Non so se possa risultare strano, ma e' una cosa cui tengo molto.

Ha seguito la lavorazione dell'anime di Berserk? E come trova il risultato finale?

Per la produzione della serie Tv sono sempre stato impegnatissimo e pressato dagli impegni, ma non credo che si sia sprecato denaro o tempo. Nei loro limiti, tutte le persone impegnate nell'anime stanno facendo del loro meglio. Naturalmente anch'io, quando il tempo me lo ha permesso ho collaborato con piacere.

Ha invece collaborato al videogame della Dreamcast..

L'anime e' incentrato sulla squadra dei falchi, praticamente solo sulla storia dei cavalieri neri, il gioco e' qualcosa di diverso. E' il primo mix mediatico relativo a Berserk e forse ha sconvolto le idee di chi si era creato l'immagine di Guts unicamente come cavaliere nero. Fortunatamente, rispetto all'anime ho avuto piu' tempo a mia disposizione per seguirlo.

Berserk la sta assorbendo totalmente, pensa che in futuro tornera' al lavoro su Japan o sta pensando ad altre storie?
Non ho intenzione di tornare su Japan, ma prima o poi vorrei provare a disegnare qualcosa di fantascienza. Il fascino squisito dell'essere mangaka consiste proprio nella possibilita' di creare "mondi" sempre differenti che non si trovano altrove.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2003, 12:08:55 PM by roberto999 »
Hey I am reborn

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 01:51:49 PM »
Cool interview, thanks Roberto. :)

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 05:53:21 PM »
Wow, Miura Sci-Fi, now THAT would be interesting.

-Griffith

Offline *Gyom*

• Of the Vortex
  • around the corner
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 06:14:51 PM »
Wow, Miura Sci-Fi, now THAT would be interesting.

-Griffith
Yup ! But please, Miura, finish Berserk first !

Offline Oltobaz

• Of the Nexus
  • Cancer no Deathmask
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2003, 11:17:07 PM »
Very interesting :)Thanks Roberto!
http://herossuper.monsite.wanadoo.fr
All that doesn't kill me makes me stronger.
A dream,to some.A nightmare to others!!!
What is a man?!A miserable pile of little secrets.But enough talk!Have at you!!

Offline namayias

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2003, 08:19:00 AM »
yeah like everyone else has said. very interesting. Thanks Roberto.