The Best Movies to Watch When Snowed In

Oburi

All praise Grail
Because of the snow storm last week I snowed in for a few day (it actually wasn't that bad) but I was well prepared to stay in my pj's, drink some hot coco (with vanilla ice cream, as is tradition in this house) and watch movies nonstop. As mentioned in the "weekend" thread, power did not go out, so I was good to go.

Going through my massive blu-ray and dvd collection I started to realize there's some truly awesome movies that perfectly compliment the weather outside. Here's my own recommendation.

1. Jeremiah Johnson - This is a no brainer. It's old but stands well the test of time. Highly recommend it to anyone that has not experienced this classic.

2. The Thing - Another no brainer.

3. The Great Silence - Arguably Sergio Carubucci's (the other Sergio) greatest Italian Western set in the snow with a silent protagonist and a bleak ending.

4. Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell - I recently dug up my collection of LWaC movies (six in total) and I distinctly remember the final film having an epic snow setting. The ending to this movie has got to be one of the biggest and most insane final battles to ever put to film, along the lines of The Wild Bunch. Itto takes on entire army on a the slopes of mountain.

Those are the ones I watched over the weekend. Other movies that instantly come to mind when I think of snow are Doctor Zhivago and Fargo. I also recently saw The Revenant and Hateful Eight at the theater too. Those would both be worthy additions.

Good call on The Thing and The Shining, I'd def put those on. Hmmm Alive, Ravenous (remember loving it back in the day for its soundtrack), Fargo, Cliffhanger (to lighten the mood among such serious movies).

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
Good call on The Thing and The Shining, I'd def put those on. Hmmm Alive, Ravenous (remember loving it back in the day for its soundtrack), Fargo, Cliffhanger (to lighten the mood among such serious movies).

Ravenous! yes indeed. What a strange one that was.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Since we're on the subject of Alive and Ravenous, let's throw Cannibal! The Musical into the mix as another great winter survival tale, which also has the distinction of being the only historical musical comedy on the list thus far. Let's also throw in basic cable favorite The Edge, which is good mainly due to the fine acting chops of it's star... Bart the Bear! If you don't think you know who Bart the Bear is, well, you're probably wrong, because check out the killer filmography of history's greatest ursine actor:

Windwalker (1981) - Bear
The Clan of the Cave Bear (1986) - The Cave Bear
The Great Outdoors (1988) - The Bald-Headed Bear
The Bear (1988) - The Kodiak Bear
White Fang (1991) - Bear

The Giant of Thunder Mountain (1991) - Bear
Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993) - Bear
On Deadly Ground (1994) - Bear
Legends of the Fall (1994) - Bear
12 Monkeys (1995) - Bear

Walking Thunder (1997) - Walking Thunder
The Edge (1997) - Bear
Meet the Deedles (1998) - Bear

Holy shit, that list is probably in the 99th percentile for human actors, and with 4 title roles! I've been enjoying Bart's work my whole life. He was even reportedly supposed to be nominated for his iconic role in The Bear, the part he was born to play, but due to the well-documented bigotry of the Academy was denied the recognition (you'll notice that once again none of the nominees this year are bears, not even a polar bear). He was a presenter in 1998 though. Oh, I see, good enough to entertain us at the ceremony, but not be honored. It's a shame too, because Bart was apparently Anthony Hopkins favorite actor this side of Bryan Cranston. BTW, probably half those movies double as decent suggestions for this thread.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I actually love The Edge, at least when I first saw it in the late 90's. I really wish they had used Burt the Bear in The Revenant instead of just using CGI bear because, although it was probably the best CGI bear done in film yet, it still stuck out to me as being totally fake and I was really disappointed that given the ultra realistic approach to every other aspect of the film, the infamous bear attack was computer generated.

As for Academy recognition, since these days the best Bear roles are now being lost to CGI, what hope can we have that they'll ever have their day?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Since we're on the subject of Alive and Ravenous, let's throw Cannibal! The Musical into the mix as another great winter survival tale, which also has the distinction of being the only historical musical comedy on the list thus far. Let's also throw in basic cable favorite The Edge, which is good mainly due to the fine acting chops of it's star... Bart the Bear! If you don't think you know who Bart the Bear is, well, you're probably wrong, because check out the killer filmography of history's greatest ursine actor:

Windwalker (1981) - Bear
The Clan of the Cave Bear (1986) - The Cave Bear
The Great Outdoors (1988) - The Bald-Headed Bear
White Fang (1991) - Bear

The Giant of Thunder Mountain (1991) - Bear
Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993) - Bear
On Deadly Ground (1994) - Bear
Legends of the Fall (1994) - Bear
12 Monkeys (1995) - Bear

Walking Thunder (1997) - Walking Thunder
The Edge (1997) - Bear
Meet the Deedles (1998) - Bear

Holy shit, that list is probably in the 99th percentile for human actors, and with 4 title roles! I've been enjoying Bart's work my whole life. He was even reportedly supposed to be nominated for his iconic role in The Bear, the part he was born to play, but due to the well-documented bigotry of the Academy was denied the recognition (you'll notice that once again none of the nominees this year are bears, not even a polar bear). He was a presenter in 1998 though. Oh, I see, good enough to entertain us at the ceremony, but not be honored. It's a shame too, because Bart was apparently Anthony Hopkins favorite actor this side of Bryan Cranston. BTW, probably half those movies double as decent suggestions for this thread.

This post was so good, I've been repeatedly trying to "Like" or "Upvote" it for the past 20 minutes, despite that function not existing.

Griffith said:

What a brutal, depressing story. Consciously stayed away from it till a few years ago when upon re-watching, I remembered some parts from my childhood viewing and the sadder parts destroyed me. Glad I wasn't around any company for the trail of tears.

Top Bottom