Is that new Berserk anime doing more bad than good?

Even if the new anime is poor in quality, I doubt it really has the power to significantly actively hurt interest in the series. If the quality is shoddy, I expect to have an effect similar to the Gangsta. anime (which was a pretty poor adaption of its source manga) from last year, which is/was failing to generate as much interest in the source material as it could have if the product had been good.

Aulë

Studying Electrical engineering.
Tabris said:
But to one of my ex-girlfriends credit, she did read the series two and a half times in less than a month after she seen the TV eclipse.
How do you all have girlfriends that read Berserk??? I don't even know a single person!!! I am officially jealous right now.
Tabris said:
As for myself, it was the original TV series back in around 2001 that pulled me into the series. I was around 15 or 16 then and I was hooked from the start. I watched it all in one sitting completely addicted.
Yea me too exactly the same! just instead of 2001 put 2015 and instead of 15 put 20.
Tabris said:
The variety of reasons are that people prefer to just pirate, total laziness, the books being unavailable to buy, lack of funds, 37 books being daunting etc etc.
It is indeed very difficult to decide to buy something. For example me: I just pirate all games and only buy them if it's in the top 1% of what I like. Same with movies I just go to the cinema 3-4 times a year, the rest is just torrents. As for Japan stuff, except from Berserk mangas, I don't have any intentions of buying anything yet. It's just impossible to afford everything. If I was rich I would certainly buy everything tho.
Tabris said:
So, is the new Berserk anime doing more bad than good? In my experience, absolutely not when it comes to creating interest or new fans.
I hope so

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aulë said:
How do you all have girlfriends that read Berserk??? I don't even know a single person!!! I am officially jealous right now.

I mostly introduced them all to the manga. that's how I have people reading berserk. Only two of my friends read it completely from my collection. One of the two bought them all.

Aazealh said:
It's cute to see Guts and Casca happily dance together. But no, it doesn't add to the story. It stands in place of a storyline about political intrigue and a scene on a balcony where Guts and Casca have a heartfelt talk that prefigures their future romance, all the while addressing the complexity of their current situation. All of those subtle and intricate story elements are wantonly erased and replaced by a dance number. A ridiculous one too, where royalty does a village dance. So I have to disagree: it does harm the story.

Thinking about it that way, I agree. It's been a while since I have seen the movie and I don't remember them removing the balcony scene, but if they did then I suppose it did indeed take away more than it added.
However, if the movie was just a bit longer and they did not remove the balcony scene or the queen assassination scene and were able to find a place to put the GutsxCasca dance scene in somehow, then I think that no harm would be done.
But yeah, that didn't happen, so now that I think about it, that scene was poorly placed. :farnese:

If you haven't seen it yet, you might check out Berserk Redux, which attempts to correct some of these problems with both the anime and the movies.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HikariJake said:
However, if the movie was just a bit longer and they did not remove the balcony scene or the queen assassination scene and were able to find a place to put the GutsxCasca dance scene in somehow, then I think that no harm would be done.

The balcony scene is there in some form, but it's dramatically altered because the Bonfire of Dreams scene (that it originally builds upon) never happened in the movie. As a result it lacks the depth and emotional impact the original scene had in the manga.

But to go back to the dance scene, there's also the fact it completely betrays the characters' personalities. In the original scene, Casca and Guts are both ill-at-ease at the ball, and Guts stays outside because he has a part to play in Griffith's plans (dealing with Elise's kidnappers). Plus their relationship at that time has not reached a point where they would be comfortable dancing together in front of a crowd. As a matter of fact, their relationship never did reach that point... So I again must disagree. While it's cute to see as a kind of fan fiction, this scene has no place in the story. It just isn't faithful to the characters and story.

Top Bottom