What Apostle/Creature did you like the best?

Or more, out of all the ones we have seen so far, do you have a favorite? Why is that one your favorite? There are many that are aimlessly in the background in some of the panels. Do you like that apostle because of its design? Personality? (If it has one.)

I am still playing catching up on Berserk, but I really liked the Kelpie. :ubik:
latest

I liked this creature so much because well, frog horse. And didn't expect it to be a kelpie, and I love kelpies so I was surprised to see it! I saw it, thought it was funny.

I also very much like Grunbeld as well.

So what about you guys? Do you have a favorite? Is there also one you like the least?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Angry-Moth-Noises said:
Or more, out of all the ones we have seen so far, do you have a favorite? Why is that one your favorite? There are many that are aimlessly in the background in some of the panels. Do you like that apostle because of its design? Personality? (If it has one.)

I am still playing catching up on Berserk, but I really liked the Kelpie. :ubik:
latest

I liked this creature so much because well, frog horse. And didn't expect it to be a kelpie, and I love kelpies so I was surprised to see it! I saw it, thought it was funny.

I also very much like Grunbeld as well.

So what about you guys? Do you have a favorite? Is there also one you like the least?

Yeah, like you, the Kelpie got to me a lot. I really dig that kind of design. The details are awesome and it's because of Berserk that I first learned about the kelpie. I think it's neat.

I remember one of the apostle that I did not like that much on a design aspect. It's in the eclipse when Guts is still on top of the huge hand. There is one that looks like a dog. I never really liked that one. We pretty much see him in that scene only. There is another one that we see quickly in the eclipse that made me laugh but I cannot pinpoint right now where exactly the page is.

There is one also involving a giant apostle during the Kushan war that got me really rally curious as to what exactly it is. I'll have to check the volume to point exactly which one I'm talking about.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to say "best" for me, but one of my favorite moments involving magical creatures was Daiba's use of the Kundalini. The little water snake projected a massive water form and tore Vritannis harbor to shreds. I really can't wait to see what else Miura has cooking for us along those lines.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Hard to say "best" for me, but one of my favorite moments involving magical creatures was Daiba's use of the Kundalini. The little water snake projected a massive water form and tore Vritannis harbor to shreds. I really can't wait to see what else Miura has cooking for us along those lines.

Yeah, the Kundalini was something awesome indeed. I remember the first time it was out. Pretty impressing creature I'd have to say.

One of the apostle that I like a lot as a design is a female apostle in the fight against the little spawns of Ganishka. I like the scene were she receive a blow from one of the monsters and then humans come to help her making her mad when she see the humans get hurt.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

Dammit, I wanted to be the first to say I love the Kundalini!

If we talk about apostles, Zodd is my favorite by far. Not only a great character but also one of the best apostle designs of the series. And that's saying a lot given the competitors! I simply love him.

Regarding the creatures, I would say again the Kundalini (it's truly awesome), but for the sake of variety I'll say the Sea God. Its concept was really amazing. On the other hand, since the beginning of Fantasia, I'm waiting to see dragons again. When that happens, this top will crumble.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Really tough question. First creature that popped into my head was the kelpie, and I think it might be my favorite. But as for apostle? Geez, I don't think I can answer that. I tend to change based on who's getting more current attention in the manga.

Delta Phi said:
Really tough question. First creature that popped into my head was the kelpie, and I think it might be my favorite. But as for apostle? Geez, I don't think I can answer that. I tend to change based on who's getting more current attention in the manga.

Right? I do find that I change what apostle I like often. Can't wait to see what other awesome creatures await for us!

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm going to say Locus for me is a favorite Apostle. I remember when I first saw his Apostle form ... just wow. It blew me away because at the time we hadn't seen anything quite like that and it made me reevaluate what some other powerful Apostle forms could be. It's so unique and creative and terrifying actually that it stands out among all the other Apostles, even though they are all insanely unique. I remember when I first read that episode he reminded me of the T-1000 from T2. He almost looks like something that doesn't belong in Berserk. He's got a sci-fi vibe going on. I absolutely love it. I'm still trying to imagine a practical scenario where Locus could be defeated. You just know that fight is going to be a bitch!

As for creatures, I liked when we started seeing all the familiars during the Ganishka plot because you never knew what was coming next and Muira masterfully kept upping the ante with what he threw at us. Just when you though you'd seen it all, another creature would turn up and start wrecking shit and Guts would then have to kill that. However, I would have to say that my favorite creature right now would be the Garuda(s). Again, when Garuda first showed up I just had to geek out at how this random pterodactyl came out of nowhere and started flying around :ubik:. It added to the complete chaos and madness of the situation. And seeing it's continued role in the story has made it even more fun and interesting.

Apostle: Design-wise I like Rakshas, before the assassin at dusk episode I had no idea what the deal was with him, I didn't even know if he was an apostle, but it was surprising when it was revealed that he was an amorphous cloak with a disembodied head beneath it. :rakshas:

Creature: The Dragon, I don't know if Miura showed us those creatures after the world merging as a way to tease their appearance in the fantasia arc, but I hope the series doesn't end before someone fights that dragon. I also like any creatures that resemble historical art, like how the enchanted tigers resemble Tipu's tiger,

http://www.vam.ac.uk/__data/assets/image/0008/183887/2006ah4175_tipus_tiger.jpg

or how the Trolls in Berserk look like John Bauers trolls.

http://runeberg.org/jbauer/01.jpg

2nd Reincarnation of Ganishka by far. For so many reasons.

I loved the hell out of Berserk before I seen that part. I remember being out of class and just picking up book 33. I already religiously bought the books, but the end of 33 just completely shattered my mind. I knew Griffith/Femto was powerful but how the actual fuck would he defeat something like that? I figured as usual, he'd do it effortlessly. But how?

It wasn't just his size that blew me away. It's what the actual event meant. It was reality breaking. Ganishka looked like himself after Google Deep Dream vomited him out of the astral realm. He was just an incomprehensible and abstract existence.

And all the events that came after. How Ganishka's mind and ego plummeted to the point where he practically knew nothing other than to follow the light.

Then how Femto 'defeated' him became my absolute favorite moment in Berserk and absolutely cemented my adoration for this series.

I loved and adored Berserk before that moment but I became unreasonably obsessed with it after.

Appearance wise, Grunbeld is my favorite apostle, without a doubt. Both of his forms are terrifying. I can't wait until we get back to Falconia after that supposed Elf Island timeskip and we get to see what he and the Neo-BotH have been up to.

I'd say Mozgus was my least favorite in terms of appearance. I loved him as a villain, but his second form makes him look like The Thing from Fantastic 4.

Mammon

Mangoku army
Eadwulf said:
I'd say Mozgus was my least favorite in terms of appearance. I loved him as a villain, but his second form makes him look like The Thing from Fantastic 4.
Haha always thought the same. :mozgus: His bodyguards (they are humans but still) made a big impression on me when we see them the first time.
The huge muscle guy with a (literally) baby face was unsettling.

Also, even if they turned out to be not all that (from what we've seen, they don't seem stronger than regular human soldiers), Ganishka's Daka were creepy and I loved the art.
tumblr_n7aie2Djsv1rz06hho1_500.png

These eyes... :magni:

I also loved the Sea God (and that Lovecraftian arc), I remember when we saw his heart for the first time and it looked like the IoE, I was so pumped. Well it wasn't related, but still nice.

Also, a classic, but the Snake Baron. Reminded me of "Violence Jack" 's first chapter (that and other imageries in that particular chapter). I had read the Miura was inspired by "Violence Jack" IIRC (been a long time), good timing to check google... ah, first question: https://mangabrog.wordpress.com/2015/12/14/berserk-artist-kentaro-miura-interview-i-actually-dont-think-i-could-let-such-a-long-grim-story-end-with-a-grim-ending/

When I watched the 3rd Berserk movie of the mediocre trilogy, and instead of Snake Baron (walking in the woods) we got... Female Apostle. Ok...

And these little guys are cute as :slan:
latest

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Kelpie, because it looks really bizzare, like something out of Lovecraft books. Apparently, its also a water pokemon :troll: Honorary mention to that sole Dragon standing on the rooftop of a castle.

Apostles wise, when it comes to pure design, probably snake baron. The armour and the massive bipedal-King Cobra form were quite neat. He also had a nice halberd.

Character wise, probably Zodd. He's relatively one-dimensional but has established himself as Guts' rival and occassional ally so it makes him quite cool.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
ApostleBob said:
Honestly the Count is a fantastic design. He's just so creepy and original looking. And that mouth...

The Slug is probably one of the most disgusting apostle designs... xD But, it gets the job done. At least its creative.

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
This is a little less traditional but i adore all of the apostle troops in Zodd's "division" and my favourite creature is a lanky chicken looking one that routinely shows up in the crowds.

2mpndpw.png

By my count he's survived two skirmishes with the Kushan and the raid on Flora's. Currently MIA as of Falconia's inception but counting on him to pull through.

S

Sweet Prince

Tripas said:
If we talk about apostles, Zodd is my favorite by far.

Same here. Zodd's Apostle design is one of the most ingenious in the whole series, IMHO. The brutishness and sheer weight of him is conveyed brilliantly in the manga.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Has to be Grunbeld for me, by far. I've always had a fascination with Giants and Dragons. I would love more story about him.

CYc0sOG.jpg

Squiddot said:
This is a little less traditional but i adore all of the apostle troops in Zodd's "division" and my favourite creature is a lanky chicken looking one that routinely shows up in the crowds. By my count he's survived two skirmishes with the Kushan and the raid on Flora's. Currently MIA as of Falconia's inception but counting on him to pull through.
Haha, rooting for the chicken apostle! There has also been the ram apostle that is involved in the Lance unit of the New Band of the Hawk I've been sort of watching out for. I just like his armor design.
IfWY5Zn.png

bPkru82.jpg

Top Bottom