Amazing manga you've read?

DANGERDOOOOM said:
I watched the season one anime adaption of Monster and enjoyed it a lot. Was it true to the manga or drastically different?

The manga was faithfully adaptated and the 74 episodes cover the entire story (18 volumes). I generally prefer the original version when I follow a series (so in that case, the manga), but it was still a good experience to watch the anime with all the colors, the music and the voice actors.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
favole said:
The manga was faithfully adaptated and the 74 episodes cover the entire story (18 volumes). I generally prefer the original version when I follow a series (so in that case, the manga), but it was still a good experience to watch the anime with all the colors, the music and the voice actors.

Very nice! Thank you very much. I'll have to check out more of both!

IF you enjoy viking mythology, history, their ethical guidelines for social interaction etc. then avoid Vinland Saga. Greatly dissapointing in that aspect. The art has improved threw the series and its very well done in my opinion. There is a vague historical context however the presentation of social interaction within the societal structure in this manga reminds me more of an strictly hierarchal militarized samurai society or an deterministacall castsystem then a viking society.

If the historical details are of no concern then I think that the manga can be quite enjoyable for vagabond/berserk fans.

Just some personal feedback

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Seconding Junji Ito, though i'll note specifically that Gyo and Uzumaki are great reads, also two of his longest works. For shorter reads there's the internet famous The Enigma of Amigara Fault and The Thing that Drifted Ashore.

All are perfect examples of horror from strangeness. The plots just written down can sounds ridiculous (a town possessed by spirals, dead fish invade the land on mechanical legs). But when you're reading it The creepy "wrongness" of it all sticks with you for ages. They're like plot coherent fever dreams. And Ito clearly understand how too much information can kill horror, most of his stories just sort of end, without every fully explaining why these events are happening (and some of them are pretty bizarre). This is a common criticism I hear about him, but if you're like me and agree that sometimes the scariest answers are the ones left to our imagination then you should love him.

Personally I'm reading Berserk, Vinland Saga and Vagabond. I find Vinland Saga more interesting for now, especially in lastest chapters ( still chapter 131.5 was weird ), while Miura beside last episodes didn't draw something epic for something like ... 30 episodes? And last 30 episodes of Vinland Saga are epic, full of emotions and such content, cliffhangers are there as well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
VladimirPutin said:
Miura beside last episodes didn't draw something epic for something like ... 30 episodes?

Yeah Rickert firing a rocket launcher at Rakshas as he escapes Falconia with Daiba and Silat was such a bore. Not EPIC enough.
... :rickert:

Oburi

All praise Grail
VladimirPutin said:
Personally I'm reading Berserk, Vinland Saga and Vagabond. I find Vinland Saga more interesting for now, especially in lastest chapters ( still chapter 131.5 was weird ), while Miura beside last episodes didn't draw something epic for something like ... 30 episodes? And last 30 episodes of Vinland Saga are epic, full of emotions and such content, cliffhangers are there as well.

I've been enjoying Vinland Saga just fine, but honestly I can't remember a Berserk episode that hasn't been "epic" in recent ... shit years now. The whole manga at this point is just one grand spectacle after another. Every episode in Falconia is epic, Guts' story reaching Elfhelm is obviously a big deal, and before that, the Sea God, hell even the flashback was epic in a sense.

Anyway I've said it a zillion times but the only other manga that has really kept my interest over the years (besides maybe Blame) that I recommend to everyone because I think it's criminally underrated is Eden: Its an Endless World. Check it out if you haven't.

I really like Taiyo Matsumoto. Daisuke Igarashi is one of my favorite manga artists even if his stories never really grab me, I just love his style. I also enjoy JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (parts 1-4), Blame! and Otomo's early stuff.

I didn't say that Fantasia is bad. I praised this arc in other topic, I think it has potential to be my favourite Arc - because I love fantasy. Sea God was awesome, I agree, but it didn't take my emotions while reading it to another level, it was just for showing us what is World Transformation. The same goes with showing us Falconia - it's look fantastic - but once again - nothing really special about it, I didn't feel anything while reading it. Guts reaching Elfhelm is epic and this is why I said "beside last episodes". But when I compare last 30 episodes of Vinland Saga and Berserk, I think that 30 episodes of Vinland Saga were more interesting.

I'm not a great fan of manga in general, but i absolutely love both Berserk and One Piece, to the point of being addicted.
Even though they're two completely different types of manga, if you read them carefully you can tell that both their author, Miura and Oda, have something that no other mangaka has, they both possess a sort of geniality in their own different way.

Squiddot said:
Seconding Junji Ito, though i'll note specifically that Gyo and Uzumaki are great reads, also two of his longest works. For shorter reads there's the internet famous The Enigma of Amigara Fault and The Thing that Drifted Ashore.

All are perfect examples of horror from strangeness. The plots just written down can sounds ridiculous (a town possessed by spirals, dead fish invade the land on mechanical legs). But when you're reading it The creepy "wrongness" of it all sticks with you for ages. They're like plot coherent fever dreams. And Ito clearly understand how too much information can kill horror, most of his stories just sort of end, without every fully explaining why these events are happening (and some of them are pretty bizarre). This is a common criticism I hear about him, but if you're like me and agree that sometimes the scariest answers are the ones left to our imagination then you should love him.

I was always interested in giving a try to Junji Ito. If you would recommend me the most creepy works you read what would those be? Not necessarly the best plot or the longest, but something that can give you that feeling of "wrongness" you described.

Beside One Piece I think that Hunter x Hunter is one of the best shonens out there. Even Kishimoto was probably inspired by HxH. It's very different from other shonens - even main hero.

Top Bottom