Silent Observer with a slight worry...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the longer this series drags out...the more worried I get that it will one day suffer the fate of the Guin Saga.

Which is to say that either something happens to Miura or for some reason or another, he never finishes it.

Guin Saga is one of the reasons that even though I have dived into this series, I have never gone full bore as I am always worried that these long drawn out series will never see their conclusion.

Does anyone else worry about this?

The series will conclude when it will conclude. And from what I can tell, Miura knows exactly where he is going with this story. If it takes time to do it justice, so be it.

Worrying about it is pointless tbh. Just relax and enjoy the ride. :guts:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
As much as I understand what you say, I would not indeed worry to much with this. I prefer Miura to take is time instead of him rushing his story.

I am living the same thing with "A Song of Ice and Fire" book series and to be honest I'm more afraid for this one then berserk. The guy is older. But anyway, all that is trivia for something could happen to us before these series are done. Enjoy yourself and what we have so far instead.

As for Guin Saga, I would like to continue to read that serie but they only translated 5 volumes and I only have book 1. I don't think I'm gonna learn to read Japanese for that.

Miura is still young and I have every confidence that he'll finish it.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
You're not the first to mention this worry, and you certainly won't be the last. As far as we know, Miura is in perfect health, so until otherwise is said, I don't think we should worry at all. Besides, it may not be comforting to hear, but it's extremely common for artists to die in the middle of their work (at least for composers anyway). Most times they leave enough notes for their students/colleagues to connect the dots and finish the work. It is what it is.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Salibu said:
So the longer this series drags out...the more worried I get that it will one day suffer the fate of the Guin Saga.

There's no real point to this comparison. Guin Saga wasn't ever going to end. Berserk is just taking time. Very different contexts. As for risks of the author dying, that goes for every series, long and short. I find worrying about it a waste of time, and to be honest it's pretty tasteless too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Salibu said:
Guin Saga is one of the reasons that even though I have dived into this series, I have never gone full bore as I am always worried that these long drawn out series will never see their conclusion.

That's completely ridiculous. By that logic, why make friends with someone if they could get hit by a car and killed the next day?

You can never know what will happen in the future. Just enjoy what you have while you have it.

I don't think its tasteless/ridiculous to fear that something you plug a lot of time into will end up null/void.

Agree to disagree I guess on that point.

My thing is it seems like everything is slowly taking longer and longer to release.
Is there a main reason given for why its been going slower?

It's not that much slower if you look at the historic release schedule. It's just your perspective if you started it more recently because you didn't have to wait over the last 20 years for each release. If anything, it's sped up recently to a monthly schedule that went on for about 6 months, and is looking to resume in a month or two.

As to fearing you may get into a series that may arbitrarily end... Welcome to basically any type of media. Beloved TV shows are canceled all the time. It doesn't make the journey up to that point any less fantastic.

What would make it bad is a rushed ending just to satisfy an impatient public. And then all the arm chair critics would bitch at how we don't have any more Berserk to look forward to, and that Miura should go back and ret-con his ending. :schierke:

Miura isn't even close to being elderly, so lets not act like he's at deaths door and that there's a big risk to starting the series. And he's hardly beholden to some big company who will yank his ability to continue the series. Kick back, strap in, and enjoy the long ride.

I know what you mean about media. Its just these characters and this story is so awesome. To not see it end would be utterly disappointing.

I start plenty of shows/movies that don't continue on. But those are typically things you have ether 2 hours (movie) or 10 hours (show) invested in so its not as devastating when they get cancelled.

Something like Berserk not finishing to me akin to working at a company for half your life only to get fired for a dumb reason and losing your pension for a dumb reason.
Keep in mind I am not just talking about illness/death. Hence why I put maybe he just up and stops it.

People in this world are funny and they sometimes stop things cold turkey.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Salibu said:
I don't think its tasteless/ridiculous to fear that something you plug a lot of time into will end up null/void.

I think this is an incredibly pessimistic way to approach stories, always looking around the corner for when a hypothetical axe is going to drop on the author's neck.

Berserk is very special. I've been reading comics for more than 25 years, and I've never come across anything like it. Now, after reading it for more than 16 years, the possibility of Miura stopping or dying has never been a serious consideration. Even in the event that it happened, I wouldn't feel as if I've wasted my time with it.

To distance yourself from being truly engaged with something for fear of what may happen sounds like a dull way to live. Just go for it, man...

Sammoniac

You taffers!
It might sound funny, but I wouldn't mind if the manga stopped somewhere near the end (intentionaly or not). Having an uncomplete story would leave people speculating forever on it, giving it even more power and mystery. I don't say this because I'm afraid that the end won't be satisfying (we all know it will be), but just because I think that whatever happens, I'll perfectly deal with it. Unless it ends like now, because too many things would be left unexplained at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom