zzhn's Berserk 3D art

zzhn

I will seek,and sparks will light my path...
Hi everyone! I recently found out about this forum,and it has a lot of really great art from forum members. :)

Since I'm a Berserk fan for quite some time, i decided to join in and share some of my fan art with you. It's a 3D model of Dragon slayer sword. I was using Maya,Mudbox and Arnold renderer for making this sword. It took me two days to finish this.

Hope you like it ;)

Wireframe:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome! I think the handle's a bit short, but I like it otherwise! Good job! :guts:

Natt_Himmel

"Just a guy who reads Berserk for fun."
That's neato!

I really like the different "colours"(?) of blood on the sword, so some blood appears to have been on the sword longer than other splats of blood.
:serpico:

zzhn

Aazealh said:
Hello and welcome! I think the handle's a bit short, but I like it otherwise! Good job! :guts:

Yeah :) My friend told me the exact same thing when i show it to him. The funny thing is that i actually scale it up a bit after that Not enough apparently :)

Natt_Himmel said:
That's neato!

I really like the different "colours"(?) of blood on the sword, so some blood appears to have been on the sword longer than other splats of blood.
:serpico:

So it catches your eye :) I'm glad to hear that. I did that so it would look more realistic,we are talking about Gutts here after all :guts:

Very nice work! There's some really great texture going on in the sword that really brings it to life! Good job! I look forward to seeing more of your work!

zzhn

Thanks! :)
Textures are most important part on this model. There are lot of scratches,dirt,blood and metal variations going on.Shape of the sword is pretty simple,so was the lighting part :) I spent most of the time on tweaking - blending textures,and making specular and bump maps to fit nice on it. It could be better of course,but with the amount of time spent on this i'm satisfied with the result :badbone: :ubik:

zzhn

Well,there are quite a few people that think the handle is is smaller than it should be,so you must be right then :) Thanks for the critics guys,I will scale up the handle as soon as i can and post it here. :griffnotevil:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Love it! Especially love the one you lit so that the spec of the big splatter near the end is reflecting the light so brightly. If you ever have time (and a nicely textured patch of dirt and grass) I'd love to see this thing lit for the outdoors.

zzhn

I'm glad you like it :) There will be another render of the sword but not so soon because I learned zBrush recently,and now i want to make gutts (whole gutts with muscles, armor and his sword).
I know it's a big project,but i'll try to do it right :) Only thing that i dont have is a lot of free time ,especially in the summer. So,i will try do get some things done by the end of this month and maybe in may i will have something show you guys. :serpico:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Wow, the texturing/lighting is out of control, zzhn! I hope we can see more of your work on this project. :ubik:

I'm sure Theoden and a few other people on this forum will tell you that creating a 3D Guts is no easy task, but I have a feeling you're up for a good challenge. :carcus:

zzhn

Grail said:
I'm sure Theoden and a few other people on this forum will tell you that creating a 3D Guts is no easy task, but I have a feeling you're up for a good challenge. :carcus:

I know it's a hard job,especially if you want to do it right :) But I'll try,i've learned zBrush good enough to get me started,but i'm still in the process of learning of course.
Btw there are some amazing work on Gutts on this forum,(2D and 3D) really great stuff. :)

Delta Phi said:
This is really great work! Can't wait to see more from you

Thanks a lot , hopefully i'll post more of Berserk models in time :void:

Hi zzhn and welcome to the forum :guts:

That's a nice rendering you got there.
The Dragonslayer doesn't have one fixed scale, but a lot of tiny variations and tweaks..
Sometimes the handle appears longer, wider, sometimes the blade itself is longer than "usual"..

About the proportions you've choosen I think like some people stated that the handle is too short, and also too thin.
About the piece which has an arc of circle shape, I think it may be too small as well.

On the texture itself : it has a nice visual aspect but I think it doesn't fit the DS visual aspect.
Of course a black and white manga opens a lot of room for interpretation, but the pattern that Miura draws on the core-center of the blade suggest more differences than just a toned down/darker/dirtier version than what's on the edges of the blade.
Maybe something like damascus steel, without the shiny part.
Also, I think the DS shouldn't be shiny at all, but that's just a personal interpretation I guess ( it's supposed to be 'raw Iron' I believe so the fact it's shiny isn't out of the subject,just isn't fitting I think.)

With the blood, especially with the splatter that's near the tip of the DS, it looks like red paint rather than blood.
Blood has a tendency to leave "holes" and therefore isn't as dense as paint.

On a final note, the handle isn't made of leather but a kind of bandage with a beige tint.

I'm aware that I've stated point that could be considered negative, but everything I haven't mentioned looks great to me.

Oh maybe one thing..
The floor doesn't seem very medieval to me though I can't really say why..

I'm really curious to see what you'll produce in the future :carcus:
Keep up the good work.

zzhn

@Theoden , thanks for welcoming mate. :griffnotevil:

Well,being that you're in the 3D business as i am,i suspect you know that the time spent on the project is the key thing. In the first post i wrote that i spent about two days on this sword,and having that in mind,i am pretty satisfied.
Imagine if i have spent 4 or 5 days,the results would surely be better don't you think? The thing i didn't mention (i think its obvious) is that i did this for FUN, I could have just model it for whole 2 days and make it almost perfect,but i think a model without texturing and lighting is model without life, it's just about 40-50% done deal,and i like the full package (two days was all i have at the time). I really think that there are too much models without textutes/lighting. It's just my opinnion.

As most of us here I presume,i don't have too much of free time for myself,so i do my best to get things done in that time. As for the comments on texturing/modeling,the only thing that i will change one of these days will be the scale of the handle,simply because it takes the smallest amount of time . When i textured this model,i didn't plan anything,i just started-and I finished it when i was satisfied,and i am happy with the results ,it looks cool to me,and some of the members too,and that's enough for me,and that's what I was searching for. :ubik:

Yes,you are right about your comments,the blood could be better,the steel could be rougher in the middle,the handle materials indeed are different.. Most of those things i noticed before i posted the sword here,and almost all of the textures I already had on my hard drive,but if I had to change all those things,the sword wouldn't be here now,maybe in a month or so,maybe never! I have more than a few unfinished models,and i didn't want DS to become one of them. I hope you catch my drift. :void:

So,to make things clear,i did not searched the perfection (there's no such thing in ANY 3D model on earth),I think its killing the joy of making things. :ganishka: As for the blade itself,the type of steel.. etc, you sad it yourself its open for interpretation! I think Miura is a genius in so many aspects,the storyline,the art he creates,the precision,the huge amount imagination ... why would I wont a 100% copy of his work? I doubt that there is anyone on this planet that could have done a better job than himself! So for me,its completely fine to make a slightly different models,give them a little bit of yourself! Not that I have done perfect job,far from it. :)

Oh yeah,almost forgot about this part,honestly i read it twice because i wasn't sure if you were joking: :)

Theoden said:
On the texture itself : it has a nice visual aspect but I think it doesn't fit the DS visual aspect.
Of course a black and white manga opens a lot of room for interpretation, but the pattern that Miura draws on the core-center of the blade suggest more differences than just a toned down/darker/dirtier version than what's on the edges of the blade.
Maybe something like damascus steel, without the shiny part.
Also, I think the DS shouldn't be shiny at all, but that's just a personal interpretation I guess ( it's supposed to be 'raw Iron' I believe so the fact it's shiny isn't out of the subject,just isn't fitting I think.)

With the blood, especially with the splatter that's near the tip of the DS, it looks like red paint rather than blood.
Blood has a tendency to leave "holes" and therefore isn't as dense as paint.

On a final note, the handle isn't made of leather but a kind of bandage with a beige tint.

I'm aware that I've stated point that could be considered negative, but everything I haven't mentioned looks great to me.

Oh maybe one thing..
The floor doesn't seem very medieval to me though I can't really say why..

So,you didn't like the steel, the blood,the handle,the floor...but you like the rest.. c'mon,what's left to like? :)

I really don't mind the critics,but don't you think you exaggerated a lil' bit here?

Do you have some fully textured/lit models to show me exactly what you meant on some of the comments you gave? Its always the best to show it from examples if you ask me. We are in the visual art after all :guts: I am always happy to learn new things,after all,everything I learned so far was the result of talking with 3d artists and watching them doing their stuff :)

As I wrote earlier somewhere,I plan to model and txt whole Guts,and one day (whenever that day may come) a will revisit DS sword,and maybe make a lot of changes,maybe none,depending on my mood,and the amount of free time,I really cant say now.. Like I said,I do this for fun,and I don't seek a perfection,I do that in my work hours,but at home,all I wants is fun. :ganishka:

zzhn said:
@Theoden , thanks for welcoming mate. :griffnotevil:
Well,being that you're in the 3D business as i am,i suspect you know that the time spent on the project is the key thing.

Of course, but 2 days is a very relative delay. I've been working on Berserk stuff for ages... For as long as I started to learn 3D.
Some artists can do a full character in one day, one week, or one month...
I've spent years making my bust. So I'd say time spent is revealing as much as sometimes... It isn't. It depends on the artist and his skill level, and most importantly his goal.

zzhn said:
In the first post i wrote that i spent about two days on this sword,and having that in mind,i am pretty satisfied.
Imagine if i have spent 4 or 5 days,the results would surely be better don't you think? The thing i didn't mention (i think its obvious) is that i did this for FUN, I could have just model it for whole 2 days and make it almost perfect,but i think a model without texturing and lighting is model without life, it's just about 40-50% done deal,and i like the full package (two days was all i have at the time). I really think that there are too much models without textutes/lighting. It's just my opinnion.

Hey it's cool that you feel satisfied with your work, and even more that you had fun with it.
I wasn't trying to attack you or anything. When I saw you talking about Maya,Mudbox and Arnold I was just really enthusiast so I thought 'cool It's really picking my interest, let's take a moment to analyze this work' nothing less, nothing more.
I'm a perfectionnist, and as I said I've spent numerous years making Berserk stuff, or at least trying :ganishka: that's also why I thought you would enjoy some detailed criticism.
My apologies if that's not what you wanted.

zzhn said:
i think a model without texturing and lighting is model without life, it's just about 40-50% done deal,and i like the full package (two days was all i have at the time). I really think that there are too much models without textutes/lighting. It's just my opinnion.

Well I disagree. I find way too often painted/colored versions too disappointing and that aren't as good as their sculpted counterpart. Same goes for Berserk to me, as much as I enjoy Miura's colors, I find the black and white manga will always be better. Too often the colors / shaders are distracting, but that's just my opinion :slan:

Also, you're saying you thought the same about what I've stated, and that I'm exaggerating? I don't understand.

zzhn said:
So,you didn't like the steel, the blood,the handle,the floor...but you like the rest.. c'mon,what's left to like? :)

The sharpness/thickness of the blade, the topology ( which is pretty nice ), the wrapping bandage on the handle (not the color), chain texture, arc of circle texture, the dirt pass on the blade, the less red-saturated blood, the lighting, the shadows. Plenty to like that I haven't stated :slan:

Seeking perfection is part of the fun for me, being accurate with Berserk is extremely demanding and difficult.. But rewarding.

Lithrael

Don't sweat it too much, guys, Theoden's critique is good and so is zzhn's work. Zzhn's just in that position that most artists get, where you complete a work and you're proud of it, and you're still too close to want to see anything wrong with it that you didn't already notice yourself. Especially when you already got non-technical feedback from people who just think it's great, which gave you that wonderful and rare-for-artists feeling of confidence and pride, even more so if it was a quick project just for fun. A solid critique at that point feels like someone stepping in your sandcastle.

But Theoden's never meant a critique to feel like 'your work is substandard and here is why.' He's got some very good points for if/when you want to tweak your work closer to perfection!

zzhn

Lithrael said:
Zzhn's just in that position that most artists get, where you complete a work and you're proud of it, and you're still too close to want to see anything wrong with it that you didn't already notice yourself. Especially when you already got non-technical feedback from people who just think it's great, which gave you that wonderful and rare-for-artists feeling of confidence and pride, even more so if it was a quick project just for fun. A solid critique at that point feels like someone stepping in your sandcastle.

But Theoden's never meant a critique to feel like 'your work is substandard and here is why.' He's got some very good points for if/when you want to tweak your work closer to perfection!

I think we're missing the point here a little bit. I thought i was clear when i wrote the post above,but let me explain it again.

Lithrael said:
Zzhn's just in that position that most artists get, where you complete a work and you're proud of it
I never said i was proud of it,I just said it's looking cool, especially after just two days of work. I'm well aware that I can't make wonders in such a short period of time. And yes,time was one of the biggest factors here,that's why i wrote how much time i spent in the first post. I wrote that on purpose,so other members can give their critiques and comments based on results and having in mind that there was a limited period of time. (damnit,instead of all these writing,I could make some adjustments and make DS better hehe) :))
Of course,thank you for posting,I know everything you said was for the best. ;)

Theoden said:
Also, you're saying you thought the same about what I've stated, and that I'm exaggerating? I don't understand.

Theoden my friend, we're starting to make a big deal of something that we shouldn't. I did take a defensive stand after your post,but not because of the critiques you wrote (I agreed with most of them),the matter is simple,I'll explain it now.

When you made you first post on this topic, (it was not a short one),you were very precised about your critiques and stuff you don't like,and that's completely ok! But now tell me please why didn't you wrote the things you do like? Why did you have to wait for my freakishly large post and only then you wrote your opinion on good sides of the model?

There is a reason why was botherd with that,it's because I'm working with people everyday,and discussing and commenting with all of them face to face ,about their work,and also about mine. Most of the time I'm enjoying the talk,even if it criticized my work! It's part of the job! It is because of those moments I made my experience and i was getting better by time,and I'm pretty happy to be working with all of them! But among all of those artist there is always a few of them who's having a hard time to say some kind words about someones work,interestingly,when it comes to giving their opinions about the bad sides,they are suddenly full of words and confidence! It's like they are enjoying more when they see a flaws in someones work,rather than the goodies. I saw many young and perspective people quits because of that pressure,of course,I'm talking about work environment,its always easier to work from your home.
You just reminded me on them,because of your first post,but then you made your second and that told me you are not like those people! I'm not judging anyone here :) It's way easier to speak to a person in reality,and trust me,you are the guy i would gladly like to sit down with and discussed any type of work. You got a great eye for seeing things,i saw that immediately.
Theoden said:
I'm a perfectionnist, and as I said I've spent numerous years making Berserk stuff, or at least trying :ganishka: that's also why I thought you would enjoy some detailed criticism.
My apologies if that's not what you wanted.
I think i explained my defensive attitude above :) As for the experience,the sculpting part i mean,I'm not even close to you,I'm just getting started. And I hope this lite argument wont stop you for commenting and criticizing my work in the future. :) Like I said,i think you have a good eye for these things. I really think i can benefit from that. :)

Theoden said:
as much as I enjoy Miura's colors, I find the black and white manga will always be better. Too often the colors / shaders are distracting, but that's just my opinion :slan:

I thought we are talking about 3D here,and not manga itself? The moment you start to make your model in 3D, it loses his manga looks,it can never be a B/W model,and it will immediately get some material/shading,so i don't really understand what you are trying to say. :???:
Btw just this morning I glanced at your zood and guts models,I'll leave my comment for your topic,but i must say,i didn't saw a better sculpt of gutts and zood so far,its just awesome! I will take a better look tonight or probably tomorrow,but that's a different topic. ;)

Theoden said:
The sharpness/thickness of the blade, the topology ( which is pretty nice ), the wrapping bandage on the handle (not the color), chain texture, arc of circle texture, the dirt pass on the blade, the less red-saturated blood, the lighting, the shadows. Plenty to like that I haven't stated :slan:

Seeking perfection is part of the fun for me, being accurate with Berserk is extremely demanding and difficult.. But rewarding.

What took you so long! I'm joking of course. :)
I completely agree with you on this last one, but unfortunately,job environment doesn't give us the time we would like,so i find working at home so much relaxing. But i am a social guy,so when weekend starts,I'm out on a beautifully day,and that's whats killing my personal 3D stuff ;)

Sorry for the long post,i hope after this one,all the rest will be a lot shorter. ;)

Lithrael

zzhn said:
I never said i was proud of it,I just said it's looking cool, especially after just two days of work.

True, apologies, I'm sure I overstated, I was going for the general feeling and didn't intend to put words in your mouth.

zzhn said:
Of course,thank you for posting,I know everything you said was for the best. ;)

Thank you for the benefit of the doubt. :slan:

zzhn

No need for apologies from your side! In fact, I'm not sure if my answers offended someone,it certainly wasn't my intention,so apologies to you,Theoden and everyone else if I said something harsh :slan:

Top Bottom