Author Topic: Anyone into the Fire Emblem Series?  (Read 763 times)

Offline Yozuru

• Of the World
  • "I say when it ends!" - Lucina
Anyone into the Fire Emblem Series?
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:54:49 PM »
I have been playing the Fire Emblem games on the DS, such as FE:Awakening and FE:Fates.

I was wondering if anyone share the same enjoyment of the games?  :???:

If you haven't played any of them, it's a fantastic handheld game!  :ubik:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
Re: Anyone into the Fire Emblem Series?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 08:10:58 AM »
I like them, but haven't played one in a while. Last one was Awakening I think, on 3DS. My beef with the series is that I've known it for a long time, and I think it doesn't renew itself enough. It's pretty formulaic nowadays and I've kinda outgrown it as a result.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 03:40:04 PM »
I've played Sacred Stones, Awakening and half of Fates: Conquest.

Similar to Dragon Quest, I've tried quite hard to understand the hubbub around this franchise, but it's just not for me. I think the stories are generic, the characters are boring tropes (that repeat from game to game). I always feel like I'm watching some B-grade anime instead of experiencing a unique world with an actual story to tell. Combat in Fire Emblem games (particularly recently) rarely involves actual tactics, aside from moving a phalanx of your squad members slowly toward the enemy, while building up relationships so you can counter attack and one-hit-kill them.

The first S-RPG I played was FF Tactics, followed by Front Mission, and I found those stories/characters/world and systems are much more engaging (Front Mission DS is a fantastic version of the game, btw, with the full game and a second campaign). So when Awakening was getting all sorts of buzz, I was psyched for an entry among that caliber, and was sorely disappointed in what I found. For all its wordiness, I could summarize Awakenings' story in about two sentences.
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline Ranmasama

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:00:43 PM »
Fire Emblem is one of my favorite video game franchises. I just started Fates: Conquest and am loving it so far!

Offline Masacrator SR

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 03:29:44 AM »
I've played Sacred Stones, Awakening and half of Fates: Conquest.

Similar to Dragon Quest, I've tried quite hard to understand the hubbub around this franchise, but it's just not for me. I think the stories are generic, the characters are boring tropes (that repeat from game to game). I always feel like I'm watching some B-grade anime instead of experiencing a unique world with an actual story to tell. Combat in Fire Emblem games (particularly recently) rarely involves actual tactics, aside from moving a phalanx of your squad members slowly toward the enemy, while building up relationships so you can counter attack and one-hit-kill them.

The first S-RPG I played was FF Tactics, followed by Front Mission, and I found those stories/characters/world and systems are much more engaging (Front Mission DS is a fantastic version of the game, btw, with the full game and a second campaign). So when Awakening was getting all sorts of buzz, I was psyched for an entry among that caliber, and was sorely disappointed in what I found. For all its wordiness, I could summarize Awakenings' story in about two sentences.

The best FE games were on SNES , FE IV Genealogy of the Holy War had an amazing story/plot and superb OST, a bit more tactic than DS/3DS entries , the difficulty was cheap with all those holy weapons and OP Chars (except last boss....insane if not killed with yuria / Julia).

And Finally, FE 5 Thracia 776 , its brutal , just brutal. Hard as Hell , but very addictive, a lot of changes from previous installments(fatigue , Rescue/Take/Drop Allies, Capture enemies ,Build vs wpn weight /steal items /Rescue, lvl and stat caps, equip Scrolls to boost stat growths,etc ) a must play for any SRPG Fan.

In GBA FE 6 sword of seal is better than FE 7. sadly both have abominable graphics and a downgrade in game mechanics. 

FFTactics , Ogre Battle , FE 4/5 , nobody make games like those anymore..... :sad: