Berserk Musou (PS3, PS4, PC)

these musou games always have some sort of fantasy mode, i wonder if they'll do something like that in berserk. changing outcomes of certain scenarios, getting a helping hand from characters you never expect etc..its gonna be really dumb and funny :ganishka:

As an all around gamer and a huge Dynasty Warriors musou fan, words can't express how hyped I am that Koei Tecmo actually did this. With that being said, I understand why some people might be disappointed because it won't be a one to one experience when it comes to the manga transitioning to a video game. I read some people on gamefaqs complaining that it's not realistic for Guts to kill the amount of enemies that you will be killing in this game, and while I agree, it's better than not having a game at all. Koei Tecmo has seen a lot of success with making games using the fan service of other IP's and while it isn't a one to one transition, it makes a lot of sense. I even remember you guys mentioning it in a podcast as someone else pointed out on this thread.

I think our best chance for the most representative Berserk experience in a game would be the hack n slash genre ala devil may cry, the modern ninja gaiden games, bayonetta, God of War, etc. Platinum Games would be an excellent choice, but they've been slacking hard on their latest games for whatever reason. Those games have a deep and extremely fun combat system, not an excessive amount of enemies, and require a lot of skill to be really good at, portraying Guts and Berserk as a whole more accurately. Another genre I had in mind was a very mature "tales of" game where you have a party, level up, learn new skills etc.

My hype, and ultimately, my experience with this game will depend on how deep they make the combat and how many characters they put in. I'm not looking for super accurate cut scenes etc. although the more fan service the better, I just want them to nail feeling of being powerful and just wrecking things apart with a semi-deep combat system.

So far the best Koei Tecmo game per character has been one piece warriors 3. For every square you press you have up to 2 triangles to follow up with and 3 triangles if you're powered up/transformed. Compared to the usual Dynasty Warriors which they try to make up their depth by adding more characters, however this makes ultimately makes the combat pretty shallow.

I really look forward to this game and I really want to hear and read everybody's opinion on it. I know dynasty warrior games don't have have the best reputation, but I have a blast playing them. They might not be the deepest, smartest, or the best presented, but they scratch an itch that no other genre does, especially when they combine it with my favorite franchises of all time. The main reason why I play these games is to feel powerful and hopefully the combat resembles that of one piece 2 and 3, where there is some animation cancelling and other things to the combat to add depth to the game. I was always hoping this day would come, but I never thought it actually would.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DanelMotel said:
Koei Tecmo has seen a lot of success with making games using the fan service of other IP's and while it isn't a one to one transition, it makes a lot of sense. I even remember you guys mentioning it in a podcast as someone else pointed out on this thread.

Yes, I mentioned it in a podcast a while back because I'm so smart and knowledge I've basically become an oracle it seemed the most likely scenario. So no surprise at all here. However it doesn't mean the game will be the best thing ever, or that we can't be critical of it. That's why I've tried to tell those unfamiliar with the Musou series to keep their expectations in check, so they wouldn't be disappointed.

And the reason people are bothered isn't because it's not a 1:1 adaptation, which is not something that's even possible (as I've already explained like a thousand times on this forum), it's because the combat itself doesn't feel like Berserk. I think that's understandable, but again, this remains a Musou game and they aren't going to just abandon the formula they've been following for 20 years. Like you say, the positive side of all this is the fan service, the fact we'll be able to play as Zodd and massacre thousands of enemies and so on. I think everyone here recognizes that.

DanelMotel said:
I think our best chance for the most representative Berserk experience in a game would be the hack n slash genre ala devil may cry, the modern ninja gaiden games, bayonetta, God of War, etc. Platinum Games would be an excellent choice, but they've been slacking hard on their latest games for whatever reason. Those games have a deep and extremely fun combat system, not an excessive amount of enemies, and require a lot of skill to be really good at, portraying Guts and Berserk as a whole more accurately.

Indeed, that is the most fitting genre. Unfortunately, it is a lot more expensive to do than just licensing the IP to Koei Tecmo.

DanelMotel said:
Another genre I had in mind was a very mature "tales of" game where you have a party, level up, learn new skills etc.

Leveling up and an RPG skill system? I don't think that would be a good fit.

It seems Wyald will be playable; that Grunbeld, Adon and Boscogne will appear as enemies.

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/koei-tecmo-berserk-adds-wyald

EDIT: Damn looks like I'm late :judo:

Pink-Dark-Boy said:
It seems Wyald will be playable; that Grunbeld, Adon and Boscogne will appear as enemies.

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/koei-tecmo-berserk-adds-wyald

EDIT: Damn looks like I'm late :judo:

I really like Wyald, but how come he's a playable character but Grunbeld and Boscogn aren't?

Also celebration music http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xm5DPlNCmtk

D

Dragon Warrior

Wyald is not a bad choice to be playable, the reason why i'm saying that is Grunbeld should be playable.
imo Grunbeld is a better character, has a better personality and a better design. Not to mention Wyald is dead since golden age while Grunbeld is still alive.
Grunbeld is my favorite apostle beside Zodd.

The best thing about this, the game looks like following the manga way better than the animes and movies since Wyald never appeared in these.

Had a feeling they were gonna go for it as soon as I saw the announcement teaser. :iva:

It's great news, he looks like a really fun guy to control in a game like this.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Wyald finally gets some love! I really hope Grunbeld isn't just an enemy. I can take or leave Adon and even Boscogne, but please gimme Grunbeld :judo:

D

Dragon Warrior

So KOEI says in the western version they will show more violence than Japanese one.
I have been expecting this to happen since Japan nowadays has less gore in videogames

So the gore we've seen in the old screenshot is not fake nor it was edited. It was censored in the Japanese version just like what I thought.

Check the full artical here
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/08/22/berserk-ps4-western-release-will-things-held-back-japanese-version/

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Feeblecursedone said:
Wyald playable but Grunbeld isn't? What a load of bollocks...

Grunbeld would have been awesome to play as. But Wyald has his awesome qualities too other than not being a dragon. At least they have Grunbeld in the game, let's hope his fight is awesome.

The hype is real :ubik:

D

Dragon Warrior

New scans, the eclipse cutscene is there
tumblr_ocfbxgs_Ug_L1rb48exo2_1280.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dragon Warrior said:
New scans, the eclipse cutscene is there

Weird. A cutscene or gameplay, though...? I could foresee a QTE where you have to mash X repeatedly in a futile scenario that only SK's appearance releases you from. :ganishka: .... :sad:

Also, Adon shouldn't be a "boss" for Guts. That's ridiculous.

D

Dragon Warrior

I think it's a cutscene.

What if they make us press a button while Guts cutting off his arm.

Lol i didnt know they will make Adon as a boss "for Guts" which is i agree that is a ridiculous thing to do

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dragon Warrior said:
Lol i didnt know they will make Adon as a boss "for Guts" which is i agree that is a ridiculous thing to do

Well hey, maybe they'll do it justice and have Adon go down in one big swing. :guts:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Well now that we've seen a Femto model (I assume this is a line up of bosses?) I wonder if he'll be playable, or rather, the transformation of Falcon of Light Griffith :carcus:

Of course, seeing any member of the God Hand getting down and dirty on the battle field would be hysterical in a weird way.

Happy to see the Snake Baron. I really hope he's playable too! Not enough polearm characters in Berserk (though I guess Adon and Boscgone kind of fix that), so we need all the representation we can get!

DANGERDOOOOM

These people keep on delivering! :isidro: All my hopes of another great Berserk game are coming true.

I foresee playing this for an unhealthy amount of time. Goodbye social life.

Since I have never played any of these games I will reserve my pre-release judgement although I certainly see how it could end up being redundant. However, I was wondering if anyone here can tell me if there is any sort of challenge to these games. I would hate to effortlessly smash on Apostles and hordes of enemies without any sort of difficulty. I usually have to tune new games up to the highest level to get any sort of joy out of playing so if this is going to be a simple button masher ala God of War I will probably lose interest quickly, outside of the novelty of seeing the badass characters.

DANGERDOOOOM

TripleJMaster3 said:
Since I have never played any of these games I will reserve my pre-release judgement although I certainly see how it could end up being redundant. However, I was wondering if anyone here can tell me if there is any sort of challenge to these games. I would hate to effortlessly smash on Apostles and hordes of enemies without any sort of difficulty. I usually have to tune new games up to the highest level to get any sort of joy out of playing so if this is going to be a simple button masher ala God of War I will probably lose interest quickly, outside of the novelty of seeing the badass characters.

These kind of games are repetitive. But to take most of the repetitiveness out of these games, they offer different characters who have an assortment of different move combinations and fighting styles. You will be smashing buttons like crazy, but in certain combinations to make the characters do the moves you like. For me personally, I feel if a musou game is based off a series you enjoy (such as what they did with One Piece Musou), these types of games are exciting and fun to be able to play the characters you enjoy.

It will be somewhat of a simple button masher, but that's what these games are all about; mindlessly killing an onslaught of enemies, but with style. Which makes this a perfect game for Berserk.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TripleJMaster3 said:
I would hate to effortlessly smash on Apostles and hordes of enemies without any sort of difficulty.

You will be doing just that, repeatedly butchering hordes of enemies to the point where the effectiveness with which you dispatch them becomes the game's salient point. Play long enough and it becomes a game of optimization and min-maxing.

Top Bottom