Berserk Musou (PS3, PS4, PC)

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Hitoshura said:
Schierke gameplay trailer :schierke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM_9AJNXdac

Wow, her game play looks great. I'd like to see other enemies than trolls and soldiers, though. Makes me wonder.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So, magic = lots of area of effect spells. And there's yet again some random Musou-ness happening at 17 seconds where she teleports across the screen.

Delta Phi said:
I was hoping for some appearances from the major elementals or even the four kings.

Pretty sure that's what the final spell is supposed to be -- four different colored lights that shoot to the sky and suddenly everything on screen gets damaged. She also calls out "四方の仁." Aside from that the only thing representing what happens in the actual series is her blowing the hair to project fire.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Walter said:
Pretty sure that's what the final spell is supposed to be -- four different colored lights that shoot to the sky and suddenly everything on screen gets damaged. She also calls out "四方の仁."

Sorry, I meant actually seeing them, but I guess it makes sense that they aren't visible. But yeah, it seems pretty obvious that her [ultimate] would be the four kings (I don't know why it would be anything else, honestly).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
But yeah, it seems pretty obvious that her [ultimate] would be the four kings (I don't know why it would be anything else, honestly).

From a "faithfulness to Berserk" point of view it actually makes no sense. That spell is purely defensive in nature, it's static, and it only affects astral creatures. Her "ultimate" should rather be summoning a local spirit like the Lady of the Depths or the Lord of Rotting Roots. But obviously it would require more care and customisation than they are willing to expend.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Aazealh said:
From a "faithfulness to Berserk" point of view it actually makes no sense.

Haha, right. When I saw her setting it up, I thought it was going to be a defensive spell, which would have been pretty weird in a Musou title, but then it did AoE damage :???:

Looks like you'll be busy cleaning up misconceptions around here about the power of the four kings after the game comes out "But in the game...!" :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
Looks like you'll be busy cleaning up misconceptions around here about the power of the four kings after the game comes out "But in the game...!" :troll:

I just can't wait... :puck:

DANGERDOOOOM said:
Wow, her game play looks great.

Delta Phi said:
Schierke looks pretty cool,

I second this. I was really worried they'd have her swinging around her staff for normal attacks. But I was pleasantly surprised. I'm content with what they've done with her. And I get the feeling they sincerely tried to honor the manga with the spells, doing the best they could within the limits of the game. I salute them for that.

It's also nice to see a waterspout spell, a nod to the great magician and true hero of Berserk :daiba: (:ganishka:).

Kinda sluggish for Zodd, but the big guys are usually made to be the slow ones in these games. Sweet transformation, but the special is pretty lame.

Zodd is one of my least favs so far... I thought that Shierke looks better... I think we might get around 4 or 5 more characters, still hoping for SK, Silat, Azan, Isidro and Locus, Grunbeld is confirmed to be NPC right?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hitoshura said:
Nosferatu Zodd gameplay trailer. :zodd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np4za0uOFA0

Whew, that was not great. Zodd isn't a sluggish fighter. When he and Guts were fighting on the Hill of Swords, Rickert remarked they were moving so fast that he couldn't track their movements -- it was just a whirlwind. This Zodd looks like he's been Zangief'd for some reason. And that special attack at the end, with the tornado making soldiers spin around, looked more like a game bug than an intentional effect.

They did get two small details right, I was surprised to see. He emits fog when he transforms, which promptly disappears, but hey, progress! And his red eye has a light-tracing effect when he moves, which calls to mind the Hill of Swords fight, even though the purpose of that effect in the manga was to show how fast he was moving.

Still, overall, not at all what I had in mind when I imagined playing as Zodd.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
The whirlwind is weird, but I guess Zodd doesn't exhibit any "super powers" (such as breathing fire, or firing arrows made of hair--hairrows? :troll:) other than his rapid regeneration in the manga. They were probably grasping at any straws they could to level out his move set. They should have just left him a purely physical fighter. On a second watch, he does seem incredibly slow.

Since I've never played any incarnation this team has put together and we get to play as all these characters, does this series have you pick a side or do you just randomly access different characters as the narrative moves along?

Salem said:
Since I've never played any incarnation this team has put together and we get to play as all these characters, does this series have you pick a side or do you just randomly access different characters as the narrative moves along?

Outside of potential multi-player (which I have never played), you are assigned one particular faction to play as while completing whichever mission the game assigns for you.

You can only choose one character to play as per session while your allies are either scripted (usually story mode) or random (extra modes)

You will unlock different characters to play as either from completing the main story, unlocking extra modes, or completing other requirements for a few "secret" characters. One of these may be getting a gold/platinum ranking on every story mode stage, for example.

If a character is an enemy NPC boss/enemy, there's a good chance it can be playable.

However some characters could also merely end up as "support" characters, meaning they will just appear and attack once then disappear after a separate gauge fills in the game. I don't think it's been confirmed or denies as to whether this game will have support characters though.

DANGERDOOOOM

Roderick said:
Kinda sluggish for Zodd, but the big guys are usually made to be the slow ones in these games. Sweet transformation, but the special is pretty lame.

Yeah, such a shame. Wish his movement was faster with more dexterity to his sword swings.

__Bonfire__ said:
Zodd is one of my least favs so far... I thought that Schierke looks better... I think we might get around 4 or 5 more characters, still hoping for SK, Silat, Azan, Isidro and Locus, Grunbeld is confirmed to be NPC right?

I believe both Grunbeld and Silat are already confirmed as boss fights.

Walter said:
Whew, that was not great. Zodd isn't a sluggish fighter. When he and Guts were fighting on the Hill of Swords, Rickert remarked they were moving so fast that he couldn't track their movements -- it was just a whirlwind. This Zodd looks like he's been Zangief'd for some reason. And that special attack at the end, with the tornado making soldiers spin around, looked more like a game bug than an intentional effect.

Completely agree. He's a force to be reckoned with when it comes to both brute strength and decisive/quick swordsmanship.

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Walter said:
They did get two small details right, I was surprised to see. He emits fog when he transforms, which promptly disappears, but hey, progress! And his red eye has a light-tracing effect when he moves, which calls to mind the Hill of Swords fight, even though the purpose of that effect in the manga was to show how fast he was moving.

This is also the first time I've seen Zodd with black fur like Miura's more recent artwork as well, which I appreciate.

Overall it is a shame Zodd's been slowed down. But I imagine the developers want to cover the broadest range of attack styles they can. And a big, slow tank character fit Zodd more than anybody else. Personally I would have gone with Grunbeld to fill that niche, but they'd be fools to include him in lieu of the much more recognisable Zodd.

On an unrelated note, i'm enjoying the voice acting so far. I mean, we only get like 2 lines a video. But they're doing a really good job channelling each of the characters.

I was expecting something more impressive than a poof of smoke as a transformation effect. Though I'm surprised they actually included Zodds wings in his fighting style, like when he fought the Ganishka spawn, and I prefer Zodds black fur to the dark brown fur he's sometimes portrayed with.

DANGERDOOOOM

Wenliinvictus said:
I was expecting something more impressive than a poof of smoke as a transformation effect.

It's steam I believe, rather than smoke. It's how Zodd's transformation is supposed to look.

DANGERDOOOOM

Eluvei said:
It's kind of an unimpressive overlay effect while the models are switched.

Yeah, I completely agree. But this is a Berserk musou game adaptation. We shouldn't expect everything to be 100% from the primary source. I'll be playing this game an unhealthy amount during the day/night either way. I'm just glad they're including many characters I thought they'd ignore. Apparently they claim to be having a 'huge' character roster, but are unwilling to reveal them all until the release date. I'm betting it will be 12 playable characters max (hopefully including Skull Knight. Why wouldn't they?)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DANGERDOOOOM said:
Apparently they claim to be having a 'huge' character roster, but are unwilling to reveal them all until the release date. I'm betting it will be 12 playable characters max (hopefully including Skull Knight. Why wouldn't they?)

TGS is next week, and they're sure to unveil some during the show. I'm still expecting Silat, Skull Knight, Locus or Grunbeld, maybe Isidro as well.

__Bonfire__ said:
12 characters would make sense, so far that charas slots is 4×4 on the official site...

It's 4x2 at the moment.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
guts3.png

I'm not in love with his special attack, nor the environment the fight takes place in, but still, I love how FAST Guts' possession form is:

http://gematsu.com/2016/09/koei-tecmo-berserk-berserker-guts-action-gameplay

Top Bottom