Berserk Musou (PS3, PS4, PC)

Salem said:
Why, in all of these videos, do the enemies appear to just stand around? For anyone familiar with these games, is this a thing? I want to feel powerful as Guts, but not untouchable.

From what I understand most Dynasty Warriors games act similar to this with the A.I. I've only personally played the Zelda Warriors game and it seems like this is also a thing, not quite as bad though.

As for the game itself, it looks like it's shaping up to be pretty fun, I don't have any high expectations for it other then to just mess around and use my favorite characters to defeat large groups of enemies. I'm curious about the boss fights with some of the apostles, the screen shots look decent.

Tama said:
From what I understand most Dynasty Warriors games act similar to this with the A.I. I've only personally played the Zelda Warriors game and it seems like this is also a thing, not quite as bad though.

As for the game itself, it looks like it's shaping up to be pretty fun, I don't have any high expectations for it other then to just mess around and use my favorite characters to defeat large groups of enemies. I'm curious about the boss fights with some of the apostles, the screen shots look decent.

Thanks, Tama.

I also don't have any expectations, but was curious as it looks far too simple. A new Berserk game will be picked up and played by me regardless. I may need to adjust what I perceive about it a little. I would assume a little bit of a challenge, but if the ai is lax, I'll just crank the difficulty and hope the bosses are a pain.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
The TGS trailer certainly didn´t care to be "sensitives", so i can´t wait for the inevitable games are misogynistic discussions, but the 3rd film also manage to glorify rape. Sigh.
Which brings me to my question: What were the trilogy clips and the 2 hours worth of cutscene remark about? The newly rendered scene with Charlotte at the window has a movie "counterpart", so i hope for new cut-scenes and not cheap movie clips. (The game preview from the magazines also had movie stills.)

@Salem Musou enemies have no noteworthy AI by default. I suggest to play a related demo beforehand, to set realistic expectations.

I am also worried about the cutscenes. I was hoping for newly rendered material like their previous titles, but if they're just going to port over anime footage, I won't be happy. I'm sure that the game-start cinematic will be CGI, but story mode may be another story.

Standard mobs tend to have low AI in these games, with the bosses being the only potential challenge and other higher tier enemies. As such, they tend to overwhelm by sheer force of numbers as you occasionally leave your guard open, like during a pause between attacks or if one enemy does a cheap shot long range attack just off the camera.

If you want challenge, set up the difficulty higher. Won't fix the AI much, but the damage you take if you are hit is much larger, forcing you to be somewhat more defensive

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Musou games (at least Dynasty Warrior) have never had big CGI cutscenes other than the opening cinematic right before you get to the main menus. All cutscenes in game are done with in-game models. I expect it to be the same here. The way they are using the trilogy footage makes me think they may substitute some in instead of having to render their own cutscenes. Not only is this just a bad idea, but there will be quite a bit of disconnect between the Golden Age, Conviction, and Millennium Falcon/Black Swordsman since all have different animation approaches or none at all.

And Salem, definitely check out a demo if you can. On the lower difficulty settings you can just stand around without taking damage. Out of the 15 enemies surrounding you, one or two will attack every 15 seconds or so. The only real difficult part of Musou games is making sure your NPCs don't die, or completing objectives within certain time limits. When/if the combat is difficult, its because your enemy has gargantuan amounts of health and can kill you in 3 or 4 hits (looking at you Lu Bu).

Delta Phi said:
And Salem, definitely check out a demo if you can. On the lower difficulty settings you can just stand around without taking damage. Out of the 15 enemies surrounding you, one or two will attack every 15 seconds or so. The only real difficult part of Musou games is making sure your NPCs don't die, or completing objectives within certain time limits. When/if the combat is difficult, its because your enemy has gargantuan amounts of health and can kill you in 3 or 4 hits (looking at you Lu Bu).

Thanks. That actually sounds alright if getting the combat down to a fine precision is ultimately where the challange comes from. Watching the videos, it's hard to gauge anything like that.

Again with the down voting. This is as bad as high school.

Delta Phi said:
Musou games (at least Dynasty Warrior) have never had big CGI cutscenes other than the opening cinematic right before you get to the main menus. All cutscenes in game are done with in-game models. I expect it to be the same here. The way they are using the trilogy footage makes me think they may substitute some in instead of having to render their own cutscenes. Not only is this just a bad idea, but there will be quite a bit of disconnect between the Golden Age, Conviction, and Millennium Falcon/Black Swordsman since all have different animation approaches or none at all.

Yeah, in game mostly. FMV style is usually pretty rare, limited to the game-start and maybe one or two key moments in story mode including the ending. Otherwise they use in-game graphic models, which is fine by me. Just don't want long clips from the anime(s).

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/localizing-berserk-sounds-like-a-lot-of-work/1100-6443683/

Interesting interview from GameSpot, also confirms what I think a lot of people were already guessing in that adapting to "the end of the Millennium Falcon Arc" actually means that they are adapting up to the beginning of volume 32. So I'm guessing Guts and Zodd's fight against Ganishka will likely be the final stage/boss fight.

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Theozilla said:
Interesting interview from GameSpot, also confirms what I think a lot of people were already guessing in that adapting to "the end of the Millennium Falcon Arc" actually means that they are adapting up to the beginning of volume 32. So I'm guessing Guts and Zodd's fight against Ganishka will likely be the final stage/boss fight.

It's a shame they won't be including one of the most spectacular fights, the Neo band of the Falcon vs Ganishka's spawn in the shadow of his reincarnated form. That would be seriously incredible. Especially if you could just play some random peon trying to survive amidst apostles and monsters. Though that's diverging very far from a standard Musou experience. Sea God tentacles would also make a nice, simple horde army for a mission. Regardless, 32 volumes of material is insane and I can hardly complain there's gonna be a shortage of material.

Theozilla said:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/localizing-berserk-sounds-like-a-lot-of-work/1100-6443683/

All in all, that seems to make the most sense. That battle incorporates most of the main characters. I can imagine the game ending the same way episode 278 did and it probably will.

Nonethless, i agree with Squiddot on how epic it would have been to include the battle against Ganishka :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Theozilla said:

This interview is actually pretty bad. As for the news that they will not show the final events of the Millennium Falcon arc... It's disappointing, but I'm not surprised they were unwilling to tackle it. Maybe they'll release it as a pricy DLC.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
There will be a Berserk Musou stream today from 16:00 JST onward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E8FyqhNu9c

Maybe we'll get some more info (hopefully new character), but the description for the event doesn't give me much hope.

Uriel

Hitoshura said:
Timestamp
2:54:56 PV2
2:57:13 Beginning
3:18:20 Casca gameplay
3:26:02 Scenario Select / Puck loading screen
3:26:51 Serpico gameplay
3:32:21 Ending

Haha, thanks was just coming back to post just this. Thanks!

Honestly, I liked what I saw. It is a Musou-ass Musou game. Nice to see Pipin riding around with Casca! I could stand a little less of the vapid, but seemingly mandatory, commentary from the voice actresses, but that's part and parcel of trade shows.

I'll be pre-ordering it. The question is.... which pre-order bonus do I go for...

Idk why those timestamps were off for me. Casca gameplay started at 6:58:00 for me.

This game's so littttttttt. I'm so hyped man, the difference for it being 8/10 hype to 10/10 hype is obviously the characters they introduce, the more broken apostles they make playable the better obviously. From what I can tell, the combat resembles that of one piece warriors 3, which is the best koei tecmo combat IMO thus far. I know I'm a totally biased musou nerd, but I hope people can appreciate why I like the genre when they play this game.

It's not about difficulty, but the feeling of progression you make over time and the adrenaline rush you get when you're stomping through ppl that you were originally taking forever to take down, the different play styles that each character offer, and pushing them to their limits even if you know they're on the weaker tier of the cast (looking at you Judeau). I've started to hold off on playing as the obvious God-like characters in these games because once you do, it's kinda hard to go back to playing the weaker characters, but idk how much I could hold off on playing as Zodd and inevitably Skull Knight ugh, can't wait!

Uriel

I wanna respond to some of the footage we've seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkFB1bLQGec

Whoever was playing sure liked to mash □□□

To be fair, the games aren't super deep in terms of combat. What's more, if they were playing with a low level character they would've had a smaller move set. But man, it reminded me that watching Musou games is far less entertaining than playing them.

Also, I can't tell if the Super meter in the bottom left is supposed to be The Beast's eye motif, or a Batarang...

Uriel said:
I wanna respond to some of the footage we've seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkFB1bLQGec

Whoever was playing sure liked to mash □□□

To be fair, the games aren't super deep in terms of combat. What's more, if they were playing with a low level character they would've had a smaller move set. But man, it reminded me that watching Musou games is far less entertaining than playing them.

Also, I can't tell if the Super meter in the bottom left is supposed to be The Beast's eye motif, or a Batarang...

Playing them is a lot more fun than watching for sure, but if this has the same gameplay mechanics as one piece warriors 3 you'll be able to start an attack string > dash > continue the attack string, vs start the attack string > dash > start all over from the first square attack. This is a big deal as it makes the combat run a lot smoother. I also THINK you'll be able to cancel attack animations with R1 or the crossbow/cannon attacks etc.

Usually in one piece warriors, R1 was meant to be pressed after the last hit of an attack string so that you would cancel the lag animation (even tho some would look pretty cool). You would also dash after an R1 attack to close the gap between you and the enemies. Newer players won't know how implement these things so it's understandable if all they're doing is spamming square.

So for example: square, square, triangle (lag) vs square, square, triangle-R1 (shoots arrows) > dash > square square etc.

Uriel

DanelMotel said:
Playing them is a lot more fun than watching for sure, but if this has the same gameplay mechanics as one piece warriors 3 you'll be able to start an attack string > dash > continue the attack string, vs start the attack string > dash > start all over from the first square attack. This is a big deal as it makes the combat run a lot smoother. I also THINK you'll be able to cancel attack animations with R1 or the crossbow/cannon attacks etc.

Usually in one piece warriors, R1 was meant to be pressed after the last hit of an attack string so that you would cancel the lag animation (even tho some would look pretty cool). You would also dash after an R1 attack to close the gap between you and the enemies. Newer players won't know how implement these things so it's understandable if all they're doing is spamming square.

My Fujitora knows this R1 trick and animation cancel well. That's why his character is so broken :beast:

Femto confirmed as a playable character.
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201609/20116398.html
kMCnvHM.jpg

IWsoqXo.jpg

Top Bottom