3D Printed DS and Arm Cannon

Apologies if you have already seen this on r/berserk, but I thought I would share in slightly more detail my build of Guts' dragonslayer and arm cannon.

Dx16j8Z.jpg

aaspNQ1.jpg

rZ3jMET.jpg

The blade took about 8 days of non-stop printing.

Used bondo for the raw iron texture.

kvWljzs.jpg

tn8T0YS.jpg

Figured out how to attach the chain link without cutting it open.

gQL043z.jpg

u986AFC.jpg

Mock up to see how everything looks together. I thought the pommel was a little small so I resized it and got it ready for molding.

ejzZ6c9.jpg

B5G1il1.jpg

zmGEkgc.jpg

Shot of the hilt detail.

wvcea7m.jpg

The cannon is coming together slowly but surely. I'm self taught when it comes to modeling in Maya, so organic geometry is very difficult for me. Some areas (like the thumb joint) will be sculpted by hand with apoxie sculpt.

As much as I would love to use this for cosplay, it's meant to be just a display piece, as there is no way to wear it while keeping it 1:1 scale without actually lopping off your forearm.

o6o7pZQ.jpg

seEKmdw.jpg

Thanks for taking a look at my work!

I think this is one of the best DS replica I've ever seen, or at least it has started extremely well !

Now I want one... lol

Thank you all for the kinds words! I have a friend coming to visit me this week where she'll help me mold the blade. I've got a few nibbles from people on reddit who would like a casting, and if that's the case here, I would be honored to do a run for all of you. Price would depend on the number of people interested. Right now its looking around 450 USD.

I will post progress of the mold next weekend (and hopefully have a finished dragonslayer by then).

R

Resonance

Kaldr said:
Thank you all for the kinds words! I have a friend coming to visit me this week where she'll help me mold the blade. I've got a few nibbles from people on reddit who would like a casting, and if that's the case here, I would be honored to do a run for all of you. Price would depend on the number of people interested. Right now its looking around 450 USD.

I will post progress of the mold next weekend (and hopefully have a finished dragonslayer by then).

Hmm I am quite intrigued at buying one, no idea if it's a certainty though. But yeah so far it looks great, can't wait to see the finished product :guts:

Finished the clay flange around the perimeter and need to print out a few more registration keys (the yellow things) for the mother mold. Then I have to layer half an inch of clay over the entire sword. This will be the thickness of the silicone that will be poured after I have completed the mother mold.

NYTd9UG.jpg

Mogen said:
Truly amazing :guts: its coming a long awesomely :ubik:

Thanks Mogen!

I ended up running out of silicone for the second half, and will need to buy more tomorrow, but I should be able to make my first casting Monday afternoon, fingers crossed.

drfeelbad9

Don't abandon what you can't replace
Looks fantastic so far. Really interested in how the first casting will go. I have seen a lot of replica Dragonslayers and I don't think any of them got the raw iron texture right, but yours looks fantastic. Good luck!

drfeelbad9 said:
Looks fantastic so far. Really interested in how the first casting will go. I have seen a lot of replica Dragonslayers and I don't think any of them got the raw iron texture right, but yours looks fantastic. Good luck!

Thanks mate! I redid the texture probably 3 times until I was happy with it.

So the good news is that the mold turned out great. Everything cured the way it was supposed to with no air bubbles.

I did a "cleaning cast" which got rid of all the left over primer from the master and here are the results.

DtXqXjh.jpg

The detail was picked up really well by the thin layer of plastic I painted on the inside of each half before I put the two halves together and filled with expanding foam.

ah2Gxn0.jpg

However, some areas did not get enough resin and resulted in this funky "spider web" effect. Glad I discovered the right amount of resin to use on the test sample.

x9fCYwO.jpg

It has been an exhausting weekend+monday, as I have basically worked non-stop on this mold for the majority of my waking hours. I'm going to take a few days to recuperate and then bust out a proper casting to have painted by the end of the weekend. :guts:

Top Bottom