Episode 344

Feeblecursedone said:
I think its quite obvious Morda will join the party as she wishes to see the outside world. Having a stronger caster than Schierke would be an awesome help.

It's possible that she could join Griffith somehow instead of their group too.. She does seem to be a bit of a troublemaker :p

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Sure thing.

There is also a really long interview with Miura, and a "After Recording" comic strip about Miura and some other people working on the anime. It's pretty neat!

Oh. And "大幽界嘯" is the kanji for the event. The Great Howl of the Underworld...?

Thanks! Having discussed it with puella, I think the event's name should rather be something like "The Great Gust/Blast of the Astral World". Might be better to abandon the "wind" theme for the real meaning of a "big change" though. Also we already knew Molda's name, it was given in the last episode. Could be either be Molda or Morda but personally I favor the former. The others I'd say are probably either Kukka or Cucca, Yoni and Tune (pronounced "neh" at the end, but somehow I don't see Miura using an accent for it). For the old man, "Ged" is only an abbreviation, he actually gives out his full name if you don't mind checking again, it's something like "Gedfring".

Feeblecursedone said:
Having a stronger caster than Schierke would be an awesome help.

Because Molda can fly on a broom doesn't mean she's "stronger" than Schierke. However I do think she'll become a rival of sorts. It'll be fun to see. :guts:

JoBoDo said:
It's possible that she could join Griffith somehow instead of their group too.. She does seem to be a bit of a troublemaker :p

I don't think there's any possibility of that happening, actually. Being fed up with the established order of things is really quite different from betraying everything you've ever believed in. And given her behavior towards "intruders", I think her allegiance is pretty clear.

This is such an info dump! It feels like when the party went to Flora's mansion. And I feel like the best is yet to come in the following episodes. Can't wait to get the implications of the current world laid out by King of the Flower Storm. Perhaps we'll even get a confirmation on the Moonlight boy's identity (at least for the party).

And then theirs the ritual to restore Casca. Might this happen in the next several episodes? We'll see.

But back to this episode, Aaz, are you sure the mention of the other Spiritual Trees being attacked is something that was going on off screen before the world merging? The mention of time flowing much faster outside the island seems to be recurring, and the witches seem to be referring to it regarding Puck as well. Maybe I read Puella's translation wrong, but aren't they asking if he really left since it didn't seem like he disappeared for that long?

It doesn't change the fact that the Trees were attacked, but the stakes would certainly be upped if every moment they are there Griffith is tightening his grip on the mainland.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Can't wait to get the implications of the current world laid out by King of the Flower Storm. Perhaps we'll even get a confirmation on the Moonlight boy's identity (at least for the party).

The guru will be the one doing the explaining, at least in episode 345. The group will probably not be going to see the King of the Flower Storm until at least a few more episodes. And the topic of the boy is interesting, but I wonder if Schierke will get anything more than a simple denial ("we didn't send an emissary") at first. I feel like the reveal of his true identity will be staggered and possibly tied to Casca's restoration.

ApostleBob said:
But back to this episode, Aaz, are you sure the mention of the other Spiritual Trees being attacked is something that was going on off screen before the world merging?

That is what the text says. But then again, I put a disclaimer on there for a reason.

ApostleBob said:
The mention of time flowing much faster outside the island seems to be recurring, and the witches seem to be referring to it regarding Puck as well. Maybe I read Puella's translation wrong, but aren't they asking if he really left since it didn't seem like he disappeared for that long?

I already answered that twice in the thread. They are not implying that it has been a short time, just voicing their disbelief that he'd left the island instead of, I don't know, dying or hiding out or something. It's not specified. And the old man greets Puck by saying "it's been a long time".

Now even putting that aside, keep in mind that Puck and Judo had met before the Band of the Falcon was even a thing. So Puck has been away for several years at the very least, and for all we know he's been roaming the world for 30 years. If it had been so short a time, that'd mean 5 years would go by everyday or something, which is simply untenable from a storytelling perspective. So please ease up on that front guys, we'll get there eventually.

Aazealh said:
I already answered that twice in the thread. They are not implying that it has been a short time, just voicing their disbelief that he'd left the island instead of, I don't know, dying or hiding out or something. It's not specified. And the old man greets Puck by saying "it's been a long time".

Now even putting that aside, keep in mind that Puck and Judo had met before the Band of the Falcon was even a thing. So Puck has been away for several years at the very least, and for all we know he's been roaming the world for 30 years. If it had been so short a time, that'd mean 5 years would go by everyday or something, which is simply untenable from a storytelling perspective. So please ease up on that front guys, we'll get there eventually.

Gotcha. That makes sense. I must have read what you had wrong earlier. Still, great episode!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Still, great episode!

Agreed. One thing I was telling Gobolatula the other day is that I'm not sure many people realize what a historic time in Berserk this is. Not that every episode isn't awesome, but we're really at a pivotal moment in the series, more so than the Eclipse was. What is happening right now will set the story on a trajectory towards its ending. Those who thought volume 24 was an incredible expansion of what we know of the Berserk world should probably hold on to their seats because volume 39 will not fuck around.

Another thing I was thinking just now, prompted by what Schierke says she felt when she saw the plain with the tree. We were never told anything about her origins. We don't know how Flora came to take custody of this green-haired girl. Some light might be shed on this in the coming episodes as well.

Aazealh said:
Agreed. One thing I was telling Gobolatula the other day is that I'm not sure many people realize what a historic time in Berserk this is. Not that every episode isn't awesome, but we're really at a pivotal moment in the series, more so than the Eclipse was. What is happening right now will set the story on a trajectory towards its ending. Those who thought volume 24 was an incredible expansion of what we know of the Berserk world should probably hold on to their seats because volume 39 will not fuck around.

Yeah no kidding. I've often thought the amount of hiatus's have had something to do with this too. Whatever choices Miura makes here are going to really affect the direction the story takes from here on out. And it's not very predicable at all as all the various speculations for the last decade have shown. So it makes perfect sense that he'd take his time to get it right and really outline what direction he wants to steer the ending to, and how he wants to handle Casca regaining her sanity, a conflict we've had since VOLUME 13! So yeah, as Skull Knight would say, we're approaching a 'Temporal Junction Point' for the series.

Aazealh said:
Another thing I was thinking just now, prompted by what Schierke says she felt when she saw the plain with the tree. We were never told anything about her origins. We don't know how Flora came to take custody of this green-haired girl. Some light might be shed on this in the coming episodes as well.

Too true. We know she wasn't Flora's daughter, and they were both pretty isolated out there. I guess I always assumed she was some type of orphan that Flora took pity on and decided to train. Have we really ever discussed the green hair aspect of her character? I had always just assumed it was a fantasy thing and style choice by Miura, but perhaps there's more to it. The only other person we know of with 'unnatural' hair is Isma, and she has mixed blood. Could Schierke be from Skellig? I guess we'll find out.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
ApostleBob said:
Could Schierke be from Skellig? I guess we'll find out.

That's because she's... AN ALIEN! The series is gonna turn sci-fi in a few years. :ganishka:

But joke aside, that's an interesting fact you are mentioning.

ApostleBob said:
are you sure the mention of the other Spiritual Trees being attacked is something that was going on off screen before the world merging?

Well it'd make sense to me since I don't think Flora was the only magic user in the world outside of Elfhelm.

Aazealh said:

Shit! I've never even thought about that but you're right. We know nothing about her past. Could be very cool to learn more about her.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Have we really ever discussed the green hair aspect of her character? I had always just assumed it was a fantasy thing and style choice by Miura, but perhaps there's more to it. The only other person we know of with 'unnatural' hair is Isma, and she has mixed blood.

There certainly were a lot of discussions about her hair when its color was first revealed. Let me tell you, some people were very angry about it. As for Isma, I'm not sure we can really speak of mixed blood. Since all merrows seem to be women, I assume they normally reproduce with humans.

jackson_hurley said:
Well it'd make sense to me since I don't think Flora was the only magic user in the world outside of Elfhelm.

Keep in mind this doesn't mean all spiritual trees were inhabited by witches.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Keep in mind this doesn't mean all spiritual trees were inhabited by witches.

Oh okay yeah, that's true indeed. I did not took that way. Thx for clearing it up, as always! :serpico:

But do you in your opinion think that other magic users could have taken residence near a spiritual tree? It seem convenient for when you just want your last years to be peaceful.

Aazealh said:
Like I said on the previous page: "What is implied is that what happened to Flora was part of a wider phenomenon. It already happened. How it did is not yet clear. But it certainly could explain a looooot of things, like how the Wingstones were formed (crystallized magic stolen from elsewhere?), why astral beasts may be attacking humans and/for Falconia, how the land around Falconia is so bountiful, and how the World Spiral Tree was created." Whether other forests like the one Flora lived in were inhabited is unknown, and how or when they were destroyed is unknown as well.

I always Chalked it up to the magic inside Ganishkas second incarnation. But it's strongly hinted that Falconia is an adapted version of Gaeserics city. Who knows what else was stolen. It was the war demons objective to kill Flora, not to burn down the forest, however one strange thing they did mention explicitly was that they wanted to cut Floras head off and bring it back with them, maybe Griffith is harvesting Witches bodies.

Aazealh said:

It's really exciting, we've only seen glimpses of Fantasia, to get a broad perspective on what's happening will be very interesting. Fingers crossed they talk about the God Hand, they're the biggest loose thread in the series, hopefully we'll get some clues about their end game and where they are. I'd be surprised if they didn't expand on pre God Hand history.

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Wenliinvictus said:
however one strange thing they did mention explicitly was that they wanted to cut Floras head off and bring it back with them, maybe Griffith is harvesting Witches bodies.

It's most likely this was just referencing the popular trope of bringing a target's head back as confirmation they didn't escape the assassination. Griffith evidently wanted to be certain Flora was out of the picture.

Wenliinvictus said:
Fingers crossed they talk about the God Hand.

I do agree that this is the perfect time for that though! Especially if we see Skullknight on the island somewhere, which i think is pretty likely. It'll just be a matter of seguing from describing the current state of the world > Falconia > Gaiserics Former capitol/a previous Godhand reincarnation > Gaiseric > Godhand, or some other equivalent.

Interesting. So Puck was quite the prankster during his time in Elfhelm :ganishka:
I hope he gets some significant development now that we're finally here. He's been stuck on the backburner for a long time.

I'm curious about this corridor of dreams Kukka was talking about. Maybe Casca's restoration will involve a traversable dreamworld of sorts (like in Psychonauts for example, only hopefully with less acrobatics), I know this idea was bounced around a bit beforehand.

Hey guys, this is my first post :)
Anybody else notice that the same wizard we first saw getting his day ruined in one of Puck's flashbacks appeared again in the new episode?
http://i.imgur.com/NGQw6Um.png
I hope we get to hear his account of Puck's behaviour on Skellig haha

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Aazealh said:
Thanks! Having discussed it with puella, I think the event's name should rather be something like "The Great Gust/Blast of the Astral World". Might be better to abandon the "wind" theme for the real meaning of a "big change" though.

Yeah, I trust you guys. Had a hard time finding the kanji. Not quite sure why 'Astral' is your go-to. I thought of it as 'Underworld' or some kind of parallel, unseen world. Either way, the otherworldly feeling is conveyed by any of them.

Also we already knew Molda's name, it was given in the last episode. Could be either be Molda or Morda but personally I favor the former. The others I'd say are probably either Kukka or Cucca, Yoni and Tune (pronounced "neh" at the end, but somehow I don't see Miura using an accent for it).
Happily deferring to you guys for the female witches, but I like Morda is better. =)

For the old man, "Ged" is only an abbreviation, he actually gives out his full name if you don't mind checking again, it's something like "Gedfring".

Gah, sorry. ゲドフリン Gedring or Gedfrin, I'd wager.

PsychoViper said:
Anybody else notice that the same wizard we first saw getting his day ruined in one of Puck's flashbacks appeared again in the new episode?
I hope we get to hear his account of Puck's behaviour on Skellig haha

Haha, good catch!

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Because Molda can fly on a broom doesn't mean she's "stronger" than Schierke. However I do think she'll become a rival of sorts. It'll be fun to se

She's older and she has been living with many great mages. Even if she's not more powerful, she's for sure more experienced. And sure, fun to see. Maybe she develops a thing for Serpico, or you know, Guts scores another fangirl.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Feeblecursedone said:
She's older and she has been living with many great mages. Even if she's not more powerful, she's for sure more experienced.

No, not necessarily. Schierke has been performing on the field of battle, searching deep for astral entities where there are none, and still coming back with a source of power. By Molda's own admission, she's trapped on the island, and I can't imagine she has much comparable experience.

Feeblecursedone

Well, its possible. Can't say im too much interested in her power :guts: Rather it would be nice to see a counter-reaction to an outside world, as we now see Guts' party reaction to the Island. It's quickly turning into a large scale rpg party at this rate.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
I'm truly curious, but I don't know how it work, so, eventually, excuse me for the stupid question.

It's possible that Miura has gone full digital?

It's possible something like this, with an "hand made style"?

1 [Page 10]
2 [Double page 16/17]
3 [Last page]

There is the same scheme in Episode 342, page 12/13 (double page)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Yeah, I trust you guys. Had a hard time finding the kanji. Not quite sure why 'Astral' is your go-to.

Because Miura used the katakana アストラル (Astral) for the word when it was first introduced. It's the same for almost all proper names in Berserk.

Uriel said:
Happily deferring to you guys for the female witches, but I like Morda is better. =)

There will be no way to know for sure until official confirmation, although it should be noted that names like that with an 'R' can be spelled with a long vowel, like Morgan (モーガン) for example. Meanwhile, names with an 'L' tend to use 'ル', like Moldavia (モルダビア) or Mulder (ムルダー).

Uriel said:
Gah, sorry. ゲドフリン Gedring or Gedfrin, I'd wager.

Hmm. Maybe Gedflynn? The name "Flynn" is usually spelled "フリン" in Japanese. Can't think of anything better.

PsychoViper said:

Hello PsychoViper, welcome! Yeah I noticed, found it cute. :guts: Miura's usual attention to detail.

Feeblecursedone said:
She's older and she has been living with many great mages. Even if she's not more powerful, she's for sure more experienced.

Same thing Walter said: I think Schierke actually has more experience. Molda is no doubt talented however and I'm sure their relationship will prove to be interesting.

Feeblecursedone said:
And sure, fun to see. Maybe she develops a thing for Serpico

Ahhhh yes, thank you for mentioning this. While her attitude doesn't make it immediately obviously, I've long wondered whether Serpico would find a new love interest on Skellig. You might be on to something here.

RaffoBaffo said:
I'm truly curious, but I don't know how it work, so, eventually, excuse me for the stupid question.

It's possible that Miura has gone full digital?

It's possible something like this, with an "hand made style"?

1 [Page 10]
2 [Double page 16/17]
3 [Last page]

There is the same scheme in Episode 342, page 12/13 (double page)

I don't know if Miura's moved to digital or not, and I don't think we can tell with low quality scans. However I just compared those pictures up close (specifically Azan and Roderick), and they're similar but different. So digital or traditional, I think what happened here is the assistant in charge of background characters got a little lazy (or is still learning his trade) and just drew very similar poses.

I am very pleased to see this come out and that it was actually earlier than the release date! I am also happy that the buring doll fight was over extremely quickly instead of it being dragged out for half the episode. I also got a better insight of Morda's character. For some reason her appearance last episode irritated me and I can't quite figure out why. Her revealing outfit was something I found a bit garish. I think it was because she was adding more obstacle to the meeting of the the elf king and I got annoyed with that. I may be in the minority but I am not fond of the flying on a broomstick thing.

I really like seeing the other witches and that there seems to be a good number of male witches instead of it being over whelmingly female. I was most interested in seeing the culture and customs of the magic users what with there being gurus and apprentices under each guru. I also like how the magic users concentrate on nature. I really loved the decor and how it is very similar to Flora's mansion.

Aazealh said:
Summary courtesy of puella:

The girl says they'll have to call their "guru" (I'm going to use this word repeatedly but just like everything else, it's unconfirmed). Then all of a sudden, the rain comes. Schierke is amazed by that magical power, by the speed at which the weather was controlled. Farnese is curious, so Schierke explains to her that to change nature like that, you normally need a lengthy ceremony.

Of course, this was the work of the "guru" in question. He arrives, appraises the situation and concludes there's no problem. He calls each of the witches by their names, but I don't trust the text enough to write them at this point, so I'll just say that the girl is called something like "Kuka". He praises the three for their scouting, the job they were sent to do, but says he'll need to reprimand Molda later on for her actions.

I really liked this guy and his entrance and the fact that Schierke says that controlling the weather is not an easy feat to do makes his powers seem all the more impressive. Not sure yet how I feel about the other three witches but I am glad they were not hostile or prejudice toward Schierke like some people on here had feared. They seemed to take her in stride for the most part. I can't wait to know more about them. Based off of the way the other witches exasperation toward Morda it seem she is kind of annoying to them. I am interested in knowing more about the guru apprentice relationship in the context of magic user culture.

The guy explains that he came too late to welcome them (calling them his guests) and apologizes for the trouble they were caused by his delay.

Schierke asks if he knew they'd come here, and he replies that yes, the King of Elves had predicted it. Schierke thinks to herself "then... like I thought the boy is...". The guy gives more details: "The King predicted that a small whirlwind blown from this island would come back as a giant storm, wrapping numerous fates within it." They're all thinking... "Ahh... the small whirlwind..."

I was happy beyond measure that guts and companies arrival was foretold and that the magic users were expecting them and that the elf king predicted their arrival. This for me laid a lot of the fears I had to rest because I was afraid that there would be conflict of getting accepted on the island and getting to the elf king to help them. But being described (at least in this translation) as the guests and that the guru came there specifically to fetch them makes me really happy about this rolling along. :ubik: It will be interested in hearing the truth about the moonlight boy being revealed to everyone (and dispelling Schierke's misconceptions) and hopefully getting more insight about him.

I'm really also really glad that Puck has been given a some significance for having a hand in everything (much to Ivalera's chagrin) :ganishka:

He then exchanges a silent stare with Guts, because that's what cool guys do when they meet. As he leads them, he tells them to rest well from their journey and that he'll tell the elf king about them.

I really like this look the guru gave Guts, but I was not too sure that Guts had looked back at him. either way I loved that this was the first time the guru bothered to open his eyes.

Schierke explains that they're together because of some mysterious karma, and that the goal of their journey... Then Kuka says "is to bring her sanity back?" but Schierke continues "is to find a peaceful land for the cursed woman". Kuka says that now that she thinks of it, she's heard that the King of the Flower Storm can get deep inside somebody's mind using a "gallery/corridor of dreams", and so that it might be possible to cure Casca. Schierke says "really?!" and Guts smiles. Which in turn makes Farnese look worried/troubled.

The witches comment that they're really great, having crossed the ocean during such a world-shaking time only to get such a small wish.

I loved hearing about how the elf king might be able to cure Casca because up until now it has been really just speculation on how he might do it, and I am glad that it is something he can do by delving into her mind/soul. This has concerned me for a while because I imagined it as being a somewhat violent or intrusive process that would rip a person's mind to sanity by force and be a traumatic even violating experience for the person involved. But this "gallery/corridor of dreams" process seems altogether more...gentle? It seems like a more peaceful and calm way than what I imagined because I assumed her restoration would involve a hellish bombardment of the rape flooding her mind and forcing her to face it against her will. But something I am hoping for when/if this how it will go down that we get to see some more intimate insight into Casca the person, since she has been absent for so long. I'm really hungry for some Casca focus. I also hope this method involves her consent to come back rather it being forced on her.

On side not I wonder if Casca might sense what is about to happen to her and become afraid instinctively of the elf king, since he will be drawing her out of the solace of her current state. Casca has been shown to react fearfully whenever some external stimulate remind her of her ore deal and she has flash backs of it?

I noticed that Farnese was a little worried of Casca coming back, I hope there isn't too much drama over this. It is honestly my not favorite plot development. :farnese:

They also tell Schierke that since she's a witch, she must have noticed that great change. The "guru" comments and says they call it the "Great Astral World Something". Again, we'll know once we have the Japanese version. He then goes on to say it's what the one called the Falcon of Light provoked by attacking the Forests of Spiritual Trees all over the world. Everyone in the group is flabbergasted to hear that (and you should be as well). "Falcon of Light?! Forests of Spiritual Trees? What are you talking about?"

holy crap...I can't wait to hear more on this!

They wonder what the witches are doing and are told that they're practicing to probe the Od by grooming tree sprouts. Schierke says she's familiar with it. She used to do it often, although she had no friends. Kuka says she'll introduce them later.

I thought this was sweet. I love the prospect of Schierke having people to relate to and having friends. I also wonder how they will be with someone like Farnese who is late to the magic user game age wise.

Molda disagrees, calling it a boring village. She says that even if they practice their skills ardently, in the end they'll still be confined to the island. She thinks they're "rotting" in there. Kuka takes issue with that, saying researching nature is the true duty of a witch. Molda doesn't care and wants to know about the outside world. They bicker.

I'm not sure how I feel about this character yet, but it is obvious that she is probably going to go with Guts and company when they eventually leave. I just don't know if I care for her personality yet. Somehow I don't trust her not to be some what troublesome.

Side not, but i am not liking how pale Casca is looking in these panels. She is as pale as everyone else right now, and her skin tone was such a unique physical characteristic of hers.

Aazealh said:
I don't know if Miura's moved to digital or not, and I don't think we can tell with low quality scans.

Just got my Young Animal and the episode looks the same as ever. Except maybe the spread with the view looking out over the valley, I'm not really sure what's going on there.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vixen Comics said:
I'm really also really glad that Puck has been given a some significance for having a hand in everything (much to Ivalera's chagrin)

Yeah this was cool. I hope it gets elaborated on when the meet the King.

Vixen Comics said:
I really like this look the guru gave Guts, but I was not too sure that Guts had looked back at him. either way I loved that this was the first time the guru bothered to open his eyes.

Guts looks at him directly in a full panel. Also the guy had opened his eye before that while talking to Schierke.

Vixen Comics said:
this "gallery/corridor of dreams" process seems altogether more...gentle? It seems like a more peaceful and calm way than what I imagined

There is no telling what it will take for her to be restored. Convincing her to face what happened might very well be key to the process.

Vixen Comics said:
On side not I wonder if Casca might sense what is about to happen to her and become afraid instinctively of the elf king, since he will be drawing her out of the solace of her current state. Casca has been shown to react fearfully whenever some external stimulate remind her of her ore deal and she has flash backs of it?

Are you seriously comparing an assault by thugs to the healing magic of the King of the Flower Storm?

Vixen Comics said:
Side not, but i am not liking how pale Casca is looking in these panels.

It's been said countless times that there's a number of gross filters that denature the artwork on those scans, not that it even needs to be said if you look carefully. The fact Casca is dark skinned really isn't up for debate.

Rupert Sinclair said:
Just got my Young Animal and the episode looks the same as ever. Except maybe the spread with the view looking out over the valley, I'm not really sure what's going on there.

Hmm, thanks, I'm curious to see it for myself now!

Feeblecursedone

As Aaz said, its the cool guys stare. Guts just doesn't get impressed that easily, regardless of someone's appearance or abilities. :guts: I imagine Guru was able to get the rough reading of Guts just from that one glance. Cause ya know, cool wise guy.

I thought this was sweet. I love the prospect of Schierke having people to relate to and having friends. I also wonder how they will be with someone like Farnese who is late to the magic user game age wise.

It looks like a place Schierke will probably settle in later on.

Top Bottom