• Oh, Tonio! He was a good man...

Votes: 15 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Now that we've experienced the first episode, weigh in on your thoughts in a poll.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
tariku-san said:
It was shit on all aspects(art direction, animation, music, SFX,...) I was just waiting for the episode to end.

A man after my own heart.

tariku-san said:
It was shit on all aspects(art direction, animation, music, SFX,...) I was just waiting for the episode to end.

Agreed.
The music especially was really annoying. Also while I'm usually okay with scenes being changed/cut, they somehow managed to annoy even me by changing...everything?

Natt_Himmel

"Just a guy who reads Berserk for fun."
I actually liked the music. But they added it in really odd. It just ended abruptly and started a new track. it could have been better and I don't think this is the last time I'll say that. :/

shitty-ass adaptation...Not only for the CG, it was like they purposely tried to do a horrible job.
and I'm pretty sure that when you try to cut a little girl in half, it doesn't sound like that

drfeelbad9

Don't abandon what you can't replace
I came in with low expectations. Very very low. This is a great tactic I use in my life so that things are never as bad as I imagine they will be.
But it was even worse than I thought possible.

As someone who respects the technical aspects of film and animation, I can usually find at least one enjoyable thing for something I'm not fond of. Sound design, production design, story, etc. But I honestly was disappointed with every single part of it.

I hated the idea of doing it in 3d, but I accepted it. But the framerate and the way Guts moves... There is no weight or style to it at all. It's like they just made bought a stock walk cycle and just put it on his model. Also, there is an alarming lack of contrast. One thing I love about Berserk is the contrast and I didn't mind the bright armor given to farnese/serpico because I thought it would work well. But it felt like there was a shit colored sepia tone layered over the whole episode, everything was just dark, with no highlights. Especially Casca :???: , who's skin color is like the exact same as Guts'.

I didn't have a huge problem with the sound design until I discovered that the Dragonslayer made only one sound. Even when it cut through a fleshly little girl, just a big CLANG. :judo:

I wasn't anticipating a terrible voice cast, I thought it was going well but Guts had no passion. I imagine seeing flashbacks to the eclipse would give him a gut wrenching scream and he would scream griffith's name in terror, kind of like the 97' anime. But instead he kinda says "grifit" under his breath. But that goes down to direction. I thought the casting for puck was great but I thought they played the lines too straight. Too sincere. It's purely my interpretation but I see Puck as a jokester, and the various faces for him would be different odd inflections and tone. But again, that's direction.

And needless to say the story changes seem dumb and I would've absolutely loved to see Lost Children animated. Oh well.

All in all I went in with zero expectations and still managed to be disappointed. I am a sad man right now.

Really good surprise!
I think you should be aware of new style :guts:
Each version of berserk is great for me, with his own perception, 97 anime, trilogy golden age , manga, video game ... it's a real pleasure.
I want to say kentaro miura valid all project, so it's not bullshit :ganishka:
I see a lot of haters about everything on internet, people are never happy! :mozgus:
I see a new berserk anime , a new berserk video game, the story of the manga become interesting again... It's wonderfull :griffnotevil:
Eat some berserk and open your mind my friends! This serie have an identity, a special style artistic so be happy :ubik: :ganishka: :slan:

Best opinion I have found on it so far - "This episode is great guys, it allows us to suffer just like Guts."

It was horrible. I'm going to watch it all, every last episode, in the far off hope that at some point something of quality happens. Just one moment. That's all I want. And if it doesn't happen, well it was nice while it lasted.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dragonk1 said:
Really good surprise!
I think you should be aware of new style :guts:
Each version of berserk is great for me, with his own perception, 97 anime, trilogy golden age , manga, video game ... it's a real pleasure.
I want to say kentaro miura valid all project, so it's not bullshit :ganishka:
I see a lot of haters about everything on internet, people are never happy! :mozgus:
I see a new berserk anime , a new berserk video game, the story of the manga become interesting again... It's wonderfull :griffnotevil:
Eat some berserk and open your mind my friends! This serie have an identity, a special style artistic so be happy :ubik: :ganishka: :slan:

guts-barf1.gif

D

Dragon Warrior

Hmmmm.... ''few problems, but enjoyable.''

Well... i'm happy they made new Berserk anime. action looks cool. But the animation is kinda.. meh.
Skipping too much parts just like how the ''freaking movies did''
Isidro is working on a bar.... pff

Guts personality a bit different, Guts in this arc should be more aggressive. Like how the manga was.

Guts's design looks not that bad. it is at least better than the movie.

To add about that.

I honestly dislike the new voice acting. Guts is known with his badass scream. The new voice actor really can't play as Guts while screaming. It's just sound so bad

Why do they change the voice acting in the first place anyway? It doesn't make sense to me.

I posted my thoughts in the main thread here, but I voted for "A few problems, but enjoyable." Although I enjoyed it quite a bit, so my exact feeling would be more like "A few problems, but enjoyable!" (with an exclamation! heh).

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
I haven't posted here in literal years, but came back to ask:

What in the actual fuck was up with that intro and ending sequence?

Was flaccid the entire episode, seeking the advice of a physician to help me through this difficult time.

Guess we're going straight into Retribution arc, huh?

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
Turn it off! was mine but i am honesty at a loss of words for how next generation broken all but the fine/returning VA´s were. I have seen hentai from the 80s that is worse than the new "show". More morally reprehensible, SURE, but easier to digest on a stuff on screen to my eyeballs level, YES. Big parts of the show reminded me of that one time in the military (i severed for 2 years) when i accidentally discovered sleep paralysis. I though i suffered a stroke...
I don´t think that my mind is ready for what i forced myself though and i am still digesting 24 hours later, i had trouble sleeping. I just hope for a quick 1 cour run (up to 13 ep.) to end the suffering this Sword of Damocles inflicts on me and improve my quality of life. I still hear the "sound effects" and "music". Who is the sound engineer and is that person capable of hearing? Is he or she even human? Clang, indeed.

To everyone who doesn´t watch current anime. The industry is in a bad state right now but what we saw (that WALKING Sky Scraper Tee and the Demon Child :???: ) is at the very bottom. Just above all the pedo trash. The following is the best thing i have to say about Berserk 2016, besides a few well done camere swings and CG scenes:
At least it is better than watching an animated commercial for a Men´s Right movement. As of now, Caucasian Casca Waifu is still upon us...
Edit: I just saws the MAL score drop, savage but fair :ubik: .

D

Dragon Warrior

I hope the next episodes doesn't turn out to be SO RUSHED....

They really skipped lot of good manga episodes...The Black Swordsman Arc, and the Lost Children chapter. If they won't show us these as at least flashback, I'll be so done with it.

I didn't even feel the adventure atmosphere like when I was reading the manga.

I'll take any Berserk, I know the story makes no damn sense, the animation is awful, the editing is awful, the sound design is awful, the soundtrack is used inappropriately, but any Berserk is better than no Berserk.

Imperator Hanseatic

Ultimately just a crippled neet who loves Berserk.
I voted with the "We've had worse... right?" option because I'm hesitant to dole out praise. It had some redeeming qualities but I feel like it's the opposite/positive form of nitpicking, if there's a word for that. I already gave a good deal of my specific thoughts in the other thread, with the only thing to add being that some people are being a little too hard on it calling it stuff like "literally the worst thing in the world" but that's just me.

dragonk1 said:
the story of the manga become interesting again... It's wonderfull :griffnotevil:

In the six years Berserk has been in my life, the manga has never ceased to be interesting. You're entitled to your opinions on things but I can't see that line without questioning your imagination. I would love to know what was uninteresting in the manga from your point of view.

It was embarrassingly bad (at least when compared to the source material). Still, I suppose there are a dozen ways it could have been even worse. I just hope newcomers will go to the manga after watching it and will not think that they experienced "Berserk".

Still eagerly awaiting Susumu Hirasawa's new song to play.

Funny story (this will probably be the weirdest comment you read). I decided to watch the episode before I went to sleep, and since I was awake because of it, I was awake to find out that my blood sugar level went pretty low (I'm diabetic) once the episode was done. So yeah, my thanks to the anime studio. You've literally physically helped me out :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Imperator Hanseatic said:
I voted with the "We've had worse... right?" option because I'm hesitant to dole out praise. It had some redeeming qualities but I feel like it's the opposite/positive form of nitpicking, if there's a word for that.

I think you're right in that if you look at it as objectively and dispassionately as you can (like you would any random TV show), you'll find there aren't many redeeming qualities in there at all.

Imperator Hanseatic

Ultimately just a crippled neet who loves Berserk.
Aazealh said:
I think you're right in that if you look at it as objectively and dispassionately as you can (like you would any random TV show), you'll find there aren't many redeeming qualities in there at all.

Indeed. I have a habit of going against my gut reflex in order to think about things from different perspectives. Even then, the "redeeming qualities" I found generally had their own caveats and ultimately do not justify the effort of looking for them. I guess it's like digging through a cow pie in the hopes of finding a penny you thought the cow might've ate.

T

TricksieThiefsie

With such backlash it would be cool for them to just abandon this whole mess, but nah, they'll keep staining the franchise with it. At least the whole material is memeworthy and we are going to get many good laughs from it :ubik:

PS. Those emotes are really nice

Wenliinvictus said:
I'll take any Berserk, I know the story makes no damn sense, the animation is awful, the editing is awful, the sound design is awful, the soundtrack is used inappropriately, but any Berserk is better than no Berserk.

Is that a quote from the anime's director during pre-production?

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
@Viral Harvest You have no idea how i feel about the OP and ED but all my neutrality was 100% murderer the moment that early in the game 90 sec. assault on my sanity was over. Here is the thing though. Both artists will get 2% of all revenues that will come form the whole anime. The ultra animu as hell songs weren´t even the main problem but i don´t even know man :magni: .
(This entire anime season is shaping up to be trash btw. The worst one in at least 3 years.)
This infamous OP is objectively and subjectively better that what we got: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYkDP5xDoO8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom