2016 Berserk TV series: Episode 2

What did you think of the second episode of the 2016 TV series?

• It was great.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Some problems, but enjoyable.

Votes: 29 33.3%
  • It was bad, but had some redeeming features.

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • I hated it.

Votes: 16 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I actually think being closer to the source material made this one worse for me, it was difficult to watch for most of the running time if not all of it. I don't know guys, I'm having a really hard time being positive about this.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
A last note, it's weird that they still haven't introduced Puck's healing ability. It seems like something you'd want to establish early on here.

Indeed. But then again if they had, he could have easily cured that fleshwound the tree gave Guts that prevented him from swinging his sword against the Holy Iron Chain Knights.

Rupert Sinclair said:
I actually think being closer to the source material made this one worse for me, it was difficult to watch for most of the running time if not all of it. I don't know guys, I'm having a really hard time being positive about this.

Well the show's bad as a whole, I don't think anyone will deny it. It's so low budget it hurts and the visuals, animations, sound effects, music and editing all leave a lot to be desired. But once we've established that, either we stop talking or we try to find the silver lining. Since it bears the name of Berserk, I at least prefer to see it follow the story somewhat faithfully rather than take wild liberties that'd make it even worse. I mean you saw what happened with the first episode, right?

Aazealh said:
Well the show's bad as a whole, I don't think anyone will deny it. It's so low budget it hurts and the visuals, animations, sound effects, music and editing all leave a lot to be desired. But once we've established that, either we stop talking or we try to find the silver lining. Since it bears the name of Berserk, I at least prefer to see it follow the story somewhat faithfully rather than take wild liberties that'd make it even worse. I mean you saw what happened with the first episode, right?

You guys must have been hardened by watching those movies, while I skipped those making this my first really crappy Berserk adaptation experience. So please understand this one just really had me feeling the pain. I think it just hit closer to home whereas the first episode was just so weirdly surreal and different I don't think I could even process it. I'm interested in seeing this next episode and how Miura has reworked things though. That at least should be interesting.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
I would have still disliked the show if i hadn´t watch the (destined to be better?) films, i am just very surprised that the quality didn´t increase, or reach the straightforward, yet flawed, level of film 1.
I expected the show to be at least a C level affair. So yeah, the advertisements and producer promises duped me. Only the revealing ep. names made my spider-sense tingle in the last second.

Look up ApostleBob´s Berserk Redux: skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=14116.0 I would have preferred the 97 show as the basis + the Japanese VAs but he undebatably improved on the experience, and the films have enough good moments combine to at least make you think!
Even the PS2 game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8phqA2gkkRc (the cut-scenes are engaging, condensed writing and all) can be used to patchwork a long-form fan cut, one of these days, when the saga project goes into hibernation again.

they skipped the scene where guts calls puck "puck sama" :mozgus:. for the most part, it was much more enjoyable than the first episode, wasn't a complete mess.

thought this was a really nice shot
ec4342d6662940e988edb4339650deef.png

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rupert Sinclair said:
You guys must have been hardened by watching those movies, while I skipped those making this my first really crappy Berserk adaptation experience. So please understand this one just really had me feeling the pain. I think it just hit closer to home whereas the first episode was just so weirdly surreal and different I don't think I could even process it. I'm interested in seeing this next episode and how Miura has reworked things though. That at least should be interesting.

I completely understand. The sooner you get into the mindset that this is just a form of merchandising to expand Berserk's mindshare, the easier it'll be to stomach. Basically, you need to bury the hope you might have once had that this would do Berserk justice.

I liked this episode. It was way better than the first for sure. I take it that the animation and sound effects are probably not going to get any better so there's that but even those problems were less of an issue this week for me because the story was on point. If the first one had been Guts vs Rosine or the Snake Baron I would be happy with it as for me the only big plot hole was how Guts was defeated so easily.

Anyway, at this point the series is batting .500 to me. I'm willing to accept that the animation is going to be sub-par as long as the plot is followed reasonably.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
I'd give this episode a neutral grade; not too bad, but also not too good. Couldn't help but notice straight from the start of the episode that Casca decided to go full Michael Jackson on us :???:. Not sure what the whole idea was on the color director for okaying that...

Otherwise I'd say this episode really brought great details straight from the manga. Was not expecting as much focus on Azan at all. Thought they'd go with the whole 'Blah blah blah, we're here to capture you because you're evil blah blah blah. Only focused on Farnese' route. I was pleasantly surprised with how much more they added to the Holy Iron Chain Knights conflict with Guts.

Also I really wish they would change those Dragon Slayer 'pots and pans' sound effects they are using. When Guts swings his massive sword with all his muscles tensing and his clenching teeth, I'd expect more of a satisfying deep and heavy rumble from the swing and a bone crunching splatter sound on impact, not TWANG PING TWANG.

Darkman

Obey the one Law of Tooth & Claw
As others have said, I did not care much for the band of the falcon being mention and the flashbacks, but after the interogation, I felt like everything got better, i don't know why but it seemed smoother, or perhaps its just because it followed the manga more closely. Something felt different, like maybe there is hope, then i see the sneak peak to next week :magni:

Aazealh said:
Basically, you need to bury the hope you might have once had that this would do Berserk justice.

Oh I never had that hope. But I don't think anything really could anyway. It's a masterpiece few understand or appreciate in the way it should be appreciated. This all just makes me realize how great the manga is all over again I guess.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
What that "7/8 YA may relase it too" means, in a non-Gogle Translate language?

http://i.imgur.com/OFCiEfB.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rupert Sinclair said:
Oh I never had that hope. But I don't think anything really could anyway. It's a masterpiece few understand or appreciate in the way it should be appreciated. This all just makes me realize how great the manga is all over again I guess.

One thing I find really telling is that the same material covered in the anime is included in Young Animal in the form of a supplement (as a reminder, Young Animal costs $2). It was the case for the one with episode 344 and it'll be the case for the one with episode 345. What does that say about the confidence they put in this adaptation? And meanwhile, volumes 1 through 14 are available for free on hakusensha-e.net until September 30. The message is pretty clear to me: "please read the manga".

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
The flashback stuff made sense to me, even it's placement.

The animation and music continue to shake me out of enjoying the experience at all. Just when I think "Oh, here we go!" I'm instantly distracted by a grotesque audio or visual cue. Still, this episode was markedly better than the first, but that isn't saying much.

Save us in episode 3, Miura!

I just find myself with so little to say after watching episode 2. This isn't the Berserk I wanted. The 3D sucks. The brief glimpses we get of hand drawn animation are nice but leave me wishing the entire show looked like that. I just don't know what they were thinking with this thing.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Looks like an excellent opportunity. Does anyone know what the shipping cost would be though?

Feeblecursedone said:
Looks like an excellent opportunity. Does anyone know what the shipping cost would be though?

It's only the digital editions and they're only available to view for free until September 30th.

There is a bit of improvements, but I still can't bear this 3D... during the whole episode, my main thought was: "Why haven't they done the whole thing in 2D ?".
Anyway, it was watchable.

This series brought me back to the forums after the GA movies ground my hopes and dreams into dust.

Yet here it is, 2016, and this TV series looks like it debuted in 1999. The CGI is just so inadequate here in expressing emotion, giving everyone an eternal botox look. The cel shading is the only visible improvement, and even that is widely uneven as some scenes have the characters looking like they are made out of porcelain or gummy creatures. This sort of proto-3D animation dates so horribly compared to traditional animation, I'm surprised it's still being used. The movies at least had the gimmick of watching these in 3-D using glasses, which partially excused it. I doubt the TV series is offering that luxury.

The music, one of those things that even the lowest budget indie projects can excel at, is a major misfire here. When I'm not tempted to look away from the screen, I am otherwise tempted to hit the mute button. The music is often inappropriate regarding what is happening off-screen and when it it could be, it's easily forgettable. This episode in particular had some poor mixing where the music overwhelmed the dialogue in some instances.

I also haven't noticed any real notable direction over these two episodes. Sometimes they just have rough cut or tech demo quality. At best, they do little more than mimic the manga panels.

The saving graces here are that some of the voice-acting is pretty good--oft the silver lining of any bargain basement program--and the script is more or less faithful to the manga. That and we are at least getting uncharted territory

The Beast of Darkness said:
There is a bit of improvements, but I still can't bear this 3D... during the whole episode, my main thought was: "Why haven't they done the whole thing in 2D ?".
Anyway, it was watchable.

Believe me, I thought I'd be over this by now. But the stubborn insistence to use substandard 3-D models in 90% of these episodes just continues to nag considering economy hand-drawn animation could have accomplished this better. Has there been an artist/animator strike in Japan that I'm not aware of?

Top Bottom