What kind of Berserk adaptation would interest you the most?

What would you prefer to see?

• Faithful and respectful towards the manga adaptation as an anime series.

Votes: 45 73.8%
  • Faithful and respectful towards the manga adaptation as a film (of a particular arc, or series of an

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • An alternate continuation to the 97 series. As a season 2, or a movie.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • An original anime not licensed but inspired by Berserk's visuals and themes

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Live action Berserk...

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
I would be interested in an original ip inspired by berserk
Do you have any ideas on that?

But mostly i want to know what would you think of an idea of the 97 series continuation, that goes different direction than manga, as an alternate continuation of the story?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. I mean, you do know that there have been 3 movies released covering the Golden Age arc a few years ago right? And that a new TV series covering the Conviction arc is airing as we speak?

A "season 2" of the 1997 TV series is never going to happen, and the show was planned that way to begin with. Anyway, to answer your question, I would not have any interest in a series that had an alternate continuation of the story, no. I don't think such a thing could reach the quality of the story as we know it.

I would prefer a series of feature length movies. (In theory the quality would go up with each installment.)

The manga is great but it's not written to be anything else. Issues are not paced or story boarded out like television episodes. They don't plan for commercial breaks, and sizable chunks of it are just Guts slicing and dicing enemies for whole issues. For lack of a better term, there isn't much of a formula, so it's impossible to break down what's happening without editing.

The thing that makes the Golden Age Arc perfect for turning into episodes is the fact that we learn about the characters. Probably the biggest issue the current anime series is facing (besides everything!) is they basically have to start over. And the source material isn't that great for 22 minute bites.

Picture Guts as Batman for a moment but in a movie that doesn't follow him until two thirds in. We get to meet all the side characters :schierke: :isidro: :farnese: :casca: :serpico: :puck: :iva: and learn what they're doing. Guts would show up, swing his sword and kill people then we slowly get to learn why he's doing it through rumors, flash backs, and maybe an incubus forcing Guts to recall bad memories. Guts's character could be in and out of the story as needed and we keep going to the side characters who are talking about what to do with this murderous swordsmen walking about the country side. The last act is everyone coming together (maybe not :schierke: yet) to finish whatever arc we're in.

The series needs something like this formula where Guts is more a force of nature.

PENumber2 said:
I would prefer a series of feature length movies. (In theory the quality would go up with each installment.)

Picture Guts as Batman for a moment but in a movie that doesn't follow him until two thirds in. We get to meet all the side characters :schierke: :isidro: :farnese: :casca: :serpico: :puck: :iva: and learn what they're doing. Guts would show up, swing his sword and kill people then we slowly get to learn why he's doing it through rumors, flash backs, and maybe an incubus forcing Guts to recall bad memories. Guts's character could be in and out of the story as needed and we keep going to the side characters who are talking about what to do with this murderous swordsmen walking about the country side. The last act is everyone coming together (maybe not :schierke: yet) to finish whatever arc we're in.

The series needs something like this formula where Guts is more a force of nature.
Thats quite a well thought out idea you have there. I honestly would think thats a good idea. It'd get people interested in the series without completely disrespecting the main story. It'd give more background to the characters too. Although i really hope that they would do 2 movie releases close together, one being your movie, the other covering the first arc they choose to adapt.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
PENumber2 said:
The manga is great but it's not written to be anything else. Issues are not paced or story boarded out like television episodes. They don't plan for commercial breaks, and sizable chunks of it are just Guts slicing and dicing enemies for whole issues. For lack of a better term, there isn't much of a formula, so it's impossible to break down what's happening without editing. The thing that makes the Golden Age Arc perfect for turning into episodes is the fact that we learn about the characters. Probably the biggest issue the current anime series is facing (besides everything!) is they basically have to start over. And the source material isn't that great for 22 minute bites.

I feel like much of what you say here isn't really true, and has already been proven wrong by the 1997 adaptation. Although the most appropriate format for adaptation Berserk would definitely be OVAs rather than TV episodes, but that's something we've seen since the beginning of times pretty much.

PENumber2 said:

The problem with your idea is that Guts isn't Batman. Berserk is basically the story of Guts, and following him is what makes it what it is. Furthermore, the characters you mention are introduced at very different points in the story and in the life of Guts. The story makes sense because Guts meets them one by one at different points of his life, in different contexts and spends time with each of them. In what you're proposing, it would be a complete mess.

Oburi

All praise Grail
407c0958db.jpg

The idea of an live action Berserk could be pretty cool, maybe it could take place in "The Black Swordsman" arc? I'm honestly not sure. The reason why I bring this up is because I found this YouTube Channel called: BERSERK Reunion Project. They have the full 1998 anime on their channel (both dubbed and subbed), but while I was there, I saw a trailer for an live-action Berserk fan film they're making. To be honest, it doesn't look horrible quality wise. Guts just has a bit weird voice. I'll link the video here. What do you guys think about this?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqMijL5tbYk

Uknowin said:
The idea of an live action Berserk could be pretty cool, maybe it could take place in "The Black Swordsman" arc? I'm honestly not sure. The reason why I bring this up is because I found this YouTube Channel called: BERSERK Reunion Project. They have the full 1998 anime on their channel (both dubbed and subbed), but while I was there, I saw a trailer for an live-action Berserk fan film they're making. To be honest, it doesn't look horrible quality wise. Guts just has a bit weird voice. I'll link the video here. What do you guys think about this?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqMijL5tbYk
There's already been a topic on that.

Personally, I'm not impressed by that project, I have no hope for it, and honestly, I don't think a live-action version of Berserk would ever work. The Dragon Slayer would just look silly no matter how you cut it, I cannot think of one actor who could play the part of Guts convincingly, a series of this caliber would either look like crap or be too expensive to do well, and a movie is just too short to capture the scope of the story.

Cyrus Jong said:
There's already been a topic on that.

Personally, I'm not impressed by that project, I have no hope for it, and honestly, I don't think a live-action version of Berserk would ever work. The Dragon Slayer would just look silly no matter how you cut it, I cannot think of one actor who could play the part of Guts convincingly, a series of this caliber would either look like crap or be too expensive to do well, and a movie is just too short to capture the scope of the story.

I completely agree. Honestly, Berserk is one of those series where only the source material does it justice. I personally don't think we'll ever get a 100% perfect Berserk adaption. And you are right, that fan film doesn't have the best casting.

Well, IF they could do a live action movie, IF they could get the right cast, and IF they didn't F anything up, then holy SH*t a live action berserk would be amazing. But that of course goes for any type of berserk adaptation sadly... :sad:

guidedbylazers

We're not in Norrath anymore...
I think the '97 anime did a pretty decent job covering the most important parts, especially granted that they planned to end it that way. Though I really disliked the movie trilogy by the end of it I think they did a decent job with the production, however though they got you all the way through the Eclipse, way too much source material is missing in the movies. They completely left out the Queen and Griffith burning her and her posse, etc..

With that said I wouldn't mind if they did the movies over again with AT LEAST as much info as the 97 anime... and then if they continued to do movies with respect for the manga on Black Swordsman, Lost Children, Conviction etc... that'd be cool. I only say that because I also agree that aside from everything going wrong with this new anime... 22 minutes is not enough to get anything out of any of these episodes it seems. FML

I think that before that question should or could be answered the most import question is should Berserk be adapted as (A) A Dark Fantasy Action series or (B) A Dark Fantasy Character Drama with the action being a secondary piece of the narrative. If I had to answer the question I would rather Berserk be approached as a Dark Fantasy Character Drama before anything else. I mean if you can't get the characters right what business do
you have trying to say you're respecting the source material. But if I were to pick a medium for a new adaptation of the source material I would have to veer in the direction of a Live-Action series be it mini-series or theatrical.

Top Bottom