Prime 1 launches a Berserk line

iguana said:
You really are crazy. Even an almost blind one can tell that he looks accurate.

1. the size on the slayer is accurate it's just the angle of the photos and besides you really can't tell in generally, you have to stand before it.
2. Of course they can't do the cape as the same as the headlong statue.
3. The Legs are accurate. IMo Headlong's legs look as if he skipped Legday, one hit and they'll break. They have to be more muscular

2. I don't see why. It's just a choice of art direction, Prime1 simply wanted to add their realistic touch with everything fabric.

3. The Legs are not accurate I'd say. Prime1's version is more realistic, as If the armor really surrounded the actual flesh / muscles volumes of Guts's body. But That is not what Miura did, he choose to make a more slender silhouette / body morphology most likely to avoid the stiff / heavy aesthetics it would bring with a full armor plate.
Of course to understand this you need to know well the IP you are making a product about...

I agree with what's been said, it is a great sculpt but inaccurate. I like headlong's most, because at this point the beast is taking over. He is more like a bird of prey, ready to rampage again. Look how the body curve, direction, and overall attitude tells.
On Prime1's version it looks more like he is resting if anything else. The jaw should be closed as well, because Guts is not in control. Another point a Berserk reader should know...

Also, isn't the point of this base, where he's standing, is that it's supposed to be on a high ground ?? With the corpses it makes the thing really short and throwing away the point...

I really like the demon soldiers, they are very well sculpted and painted, my favourite part of the statue. But in the meantime, I think they don't belong here... And I don't get the sword stuck into the demon's soldier corpse. Also, the texture fabric of the cape is looking like something baked, pastry or something.

That could be an endless discussion. Yes IMO the Upper body should not be that straight but if I compare with the manga the sculpt is accurate.

To Point 2 : what do you mean with fabric ? Zodd has a fabric part not this one

iguana said:
That could be an endless discussion. Yes IMO the Upper body should not be that straight but if I compare with the manga the sculpt is accurate.

Not about the attitude and rigid aspect of the body.

Its all good jets and everyone will always have an opinion. Just wait for dimensions, if the black swordsman is at 3 feet, this piece is going to be at least 2 feet. Once you see this art at that magnitude, I'm sure we can all agree its going to be outstanding none of the less. The detail and paint will be amazing I'm sure. I like fan art, putting a different spin here and there, so I'm not to picky if areas are slightly different. I do agree that this cant get to far out of hand and just look ridiculous of course. So don't take that wrong in thinking the scale or face doesn't matter, it does. I'm just glad to see new art from Berserk and at larger scales.
I have a few sideshow and blizzard pieces that stand at 2 feet and I will say they make a great display. I ordered the prime 1 black swordsman and once the berserker gets released I'm down for that asap. I'm holding off on Zodd, mainly because I'm not made of money and these piece a freaking insane when we talk price points, in my opinion. --at the same time, I don't mind paying for something good, just hope they provide what I expect and get what we pay for.. :guts:

i was really excited to see the wf2017s reveal of the berserker and think it is a great piece on its own. after seeing the black swordsman prototype in person i have no doubt the berserker will be another impressive and imposing piece (the bsm is so massive i am already stressing over how to display/store it when it releases). however, if i look at it side by side next to the headlong's interpretation, i find the prime1 take overall lacking attitude and personality. i agree with theoden that i think guts should be more menacing and beast like. prime1 is a great company that makes fine collectibles, but this feels like a commercial product (albeit a very high end one with impeccable execution) - i just don't sense the reverence to the source material of a labor of love like the headlong piece.

with all that said, will i still buy it? probably. :)

Yep definitely don't like the berserk armor. :sad: Looks like an overpriced headlong clone. Zodd and BlackSwordsman look great, glad I bought those. Waiting to see if the Griffith paints do anything for me, the sculpt is a bit stiff.

I don't understand this line. Prime 1 can really nail likenesses down, but they're having trouble here. Did anyone see the face of the Gal Gadot on horse statue? They even beat out Hot Toys for likeness there. They dropped the ball here, but I really do like Zodd.

I'm on my phone so I can't get a great look at him. He straight back really does bother me. Would have more personality of he was hunched.

Base does look really cool as far as I can tell.

BloodTalon said:
I don't understand this line. Prime 1 can really nail likenesses down, but they're having trouble here. Did anyone see the face of the Gal Gadot on horse statue? They even beat out Hot Toys for likeness there. They dropped the ball here, but I really do like Zodd.

some possible explanations (i don't have any inside info, but i work in cg/vfx industry):

1) sculpts based on real life actors may have benefited from scanning tech (they could have obtained production assets from dc films) so the likeness is more spot on. in the case of prime1's arkham line, they probably used actual assets from the game as a baseline.

2) the sculptors prime1 used may be better versed in realism vs. 2d/anime. it's actually quite tricky to make 3d models of characters based on 2d work, just look at hot toys' attempt at city hunter.

yeah like said, it's more difficult to get it from 2D to a 3D sculpt but I also think they'll do a little personal touch to it. I want to see the whole line of heads from F4F's. If they'll nail guts more than it's even more a confirmation for my second Point IMO.

I also do prefer the hunched pose but I guess that here the sculptor chose a more straight posture because of an alternative display, with the DS down into the base as in the tease...

Need to search out prime 1 studios on facebook. They just uploaded a few photos of the 4 releases; black swordsman, berserker, Griffith and zodd. all look so good

For Guts the base isn't accuracy and the face likeness is not perfect but good
For Zodd Human Form the likeness is just so bad, for me it isn't Zodd at all
For Guts Berserker, the pose, the base, the helmet, the legs are not accurate

I prefer Headlong sculpt because it's much more accurate to Miura design, Prime 1 seems to chose "realistic" way and don't care about the details of Berserk fan (legs, helmet, demon on the base doesn't correspond to the scene).

So for now it's just more expensive and bigger but definitely not better that Headlong or AOW :)

I know there have been complaints, and none of the 4 revealed statues so far are perfect, but you gotta admire them a little bit... Check out this video of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Kd7Jl3kmg

I also saw the Guts one in person at San Diego Comic Con 2 weeks ago. The size truly is enormous. You have to see it in real life to really get a grasp. And judging by that video ^ Zodd is even bigger. Glad they took that into consideration for his sculpt.

I've already ordered both the Guts & Zodd myself. And you can be damn sure I'll be ordering all the others!

dadoo69 said:
For Guts the base isn't accuracy and the face likeness is not perfect but good
For Zodd Human Form the likeness is just so bad, for me it isn't Zodd at all
For Guts Berserker, the pose, the base, the helmet, the legs are not accurate

I prefer Headlong sculpt because it's much more accurate to Miura design, Prime 1 seems to chose "realistic" way and don't care about the details of Berserk fan (legs, helmet, demon on the base doesn't correspond to the scene).

So for now it's just more expensive and bigger but definitely not better that Hedlong or AOW :)

Maybe for the accuracy but not sculpt and paint. P1 definitely do a better job....

I have check the video and I would say that you are right there are looking good and beautiful, I agree with that :guts:
In terms of sculpt and paint I have no problem at all :guts:

I just have some trouble with the likeness and accuracy of Miura original design because it's really important to me and I prefer a statue accurate :)
I'm a huge fan of Zodd and if the face was accurate it would be an instant buy for me ;)
I will wait for the Apostle form :guts:

dadoo69 said:
I have check the video and I would say that you are right there are looking good and beautiful, I agree with that :guts:
In terms of sculpt and paint I have no problem at all :guts:

I just have some trouble with the likeness and accuracy of Miura original design because it's really important to me and I prefer a statue accurate :)
I'm a huge fan of Zodd and if the face was accurate it would be an instant buy for me ;)
I will wait for the Apostle form :guts:

yeah of course, I can understand that. At least Miura gave his "OK" for the Guts Black Swordsman I know. IMO I would also want a little more Berseker Armor Guts in his art-cover pose. We noted it on FB but I don't think they will change it but we will see.

DirectDK said:
I know there have been complaints, and none of the 4 revealed statues so far are perfect, but you gotta admire them a little bit... Check out this video of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Kd7Jl3kmg

I also saw the Guts one in person at San Diego Comic Con 2 weeks ago. The size truly is enormous. You have to see it in real life to really get a grasp. And judging by that video ^ Zodd is even bigger. Glad they took that into consideration for his sculpt.

I've already ordered both the Guts & Zodd myself. And you can be damn sure I'll be ordering all the others!

I agree!! I have ordered both zodd and black swordsman and will definitely pick up the other two when released. The scalps might not be spot on, but going to make an impression for sure with the amazing detail and size :ubik:

I will buy them too =). I just found a comparison between guts face over the years. And the faces from the fantasia arc are much more near to the P1 Guts face than the other, so the face is accurate but not for the black swordsman arc. Maybe they chosen it cause we'll get an alternative head for Berserker Armor and it should not look too different.

20620753_1660824143930284_2921379604950937864_n.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
iguana said:
I just found a comparison between guts face over the years. And the faces from the fantasia arc are much more near to the P1 Guts face than the other, so the face is accurate but not for the black swordsman arc.

Given the variations between individual panels I'd say this has little value. And by the way, that image contains no faces from the Fantasia arc or from the Black Swordsman arc.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
iguana said:
I will buy them too =). I just found a comparison between guts face over the years. And the faces from the fantasia arc are much more near to the P1 Guts face than the other, so the face is accurate but not for the black swordsman arc. Maybe they chosen it cause we'll get an alternative head for Berserker Armor and it should not look too different.
http://i.imgur.com/sreoF7e.jpg

I'm not sure about that but maybe Prime 1 take directly the 3D sculpt from new anime without any modifications ?
If I'm correct it could be a reason why it's not accurate to manga and Miura artwork :guts:

Aazealh said:
Given the variations between individual panels I'd say this has little value. And by the way, that image contains no faces from the Fantasia arc or from the Black Swordsman arc.

OK but for me it were also in some chapters a little more "longer" so the P1 face isn't this bad for me but it's just my opinion.

@ RaffoBaffo: TY =)

@dadoo69 Could be possible, I thought the same.

dadoo69 said:
I'm not sure about that but maybe Prime 1 take directly the 3D sculpt from new anime without any modifications ?
If I'm correct it could be a reason why it's not accurate to manga and Miura artwork :guts:

Or maybe they are simply unable to sculpt Guts face correctly ? It's not accurate and doesn't look like his face in the manga.
The same goes for their Zodd head sculpt.

Top Bottom