Episode 345

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Haha Farnase's lips are unusually thick in that first panel :D

Guts seems to be showing his beherit and we see more of elder mages! I'm glad Ged is not the only one, that only makes Skellig even more formidable in my mind. Its seriously a magic stronghold. Looks like Guts reveals something about Griffith, I wonder what? Could this be the time he tells them he was an original band of the hawk member?

Imperator Hanseatic

Ultimately just a crippled neet who loves Berserk.
Feeblecursedone said:
Looks like Guts reveals something about Griffith, I wonder what? Could this be the time he tells them he was an original band of the hawk member?

Well, we won't know for sure until we see the whole thing. He may simply be vaguely talking about his past while thinking of Griffith, without giving away too many details. One way or another I'm hyped, and that's rare for me.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Feeblecursedone said:
Could this be the time he tells them he was an original band of the hawk member?
I really hope so, i'd love to see the reaction of the group XD

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
I really hope so, i'd love to see the reaction of the group XD

And Isidro's face when he realises his original inspiration; the 100-man slayer was actually Guts. Should be an epic moment for sure. :isidro:

Dat Casca face. To think that it could be one of the last times we'll see her acting all goofy. There's something very bittersweet about that. I'm awaiting Casca's return to form with baited breath, but I can't help but feel that I'm going to miss her funny antics. Tragic as her condition is, I do also find her strangely adorable.

Doesn't look like Cucca and company were expecting them to bring in a Beherit. But it does look like Guts might be about to spill the beans to everyone present about a number of things he prefers to be quiet about.

Nice to see the gang being treated to a hot meal. Always enjoyed those rare and (relatively) peaceful moments, though it seems like there might be a bit of tension in the air this time. Can't help but notice that Azan is being left out though. Come on, guy, take off the damn helmet already! :azan:

Finally, I'm impressed by the design of the elders. A lot of artists tend to get lazy when they go about drawing these wizardy kind of old men and make them all clones of each other, but Miura's given each of them a distinctive look. Though is there some reason why they all have those odd black eyes like what Daiba sports, or is that just a stylistic choice?

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Cyrus Jong said:
Finally, I'm impressed by the design of the elders. A lot of artists tend to get lazy when they go about drawing these wizardy kind of old men and make them all clones of each other, but Miura's given each of them a distinctive look. Though is there some reason why they all have those odd black eyes like what Daiba sports, or is that just a stylistic choice?

The one with the large nose is throwing me off a bit. Its incredibly caricatured by Berserk standards. That guy would be freakish in real life. But that could be intentional.

As people have discussed this seems to be the moment Guts crew finally get to hear his past and the reasons behind his quest. What a huge moment this is going to be!

Squiddot said:
The one with the large nose is throwing me off a bit. Its incredibly caricatured by Berserk standards. That guy would be freakish in real life. But that could be intentional.

As people have discussed this seems to be the moment Guts crew finally get to hear his past and the reasons behind his quest. What a huge moment this is going to be!
Eh, it could all just be a sign of their advanced age. These people are ancient, with more years to their lives than any human could ever hope to achieve through normal means, so some unusual looks are probably to be expected. I'm likely giving it more thought than it really deserves.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I like the gurus' designs, as well as the room in which they eat. Great little scene. One thing worth noting is that there's four of them in total apparently. Also of note: while Cucca and the others are present at the meeting, Molda appears not to be. I also found it neat that we got a shot of the beherit from the back, something we rarely see.

Feeblecursedone said:
I'm glad Ged is not the only one, that only makes Skellig even more formidable in my mind. Its seriously a magic stronghold.

I know what you're trying to say, but I wouldn't call that village a stronghold.

Cyrus Jong said:
Though is there some reason why they all have those odd black eyes like what Daiba sports, or is that just a stylistic choice?

Only one of them is shown as having dark, beady eyes. And it seems clear that it's a stylistic choice to me.

Squiddot said:

By Berserk standards, you mean as opposed to Mozgus? Also, keep in mind that these guys are likely very very old and that their astral selves may have a strong influence on their corporeal selves. That could explain these features.

Squiddot said:

I think you guys are jumping the gun a bit. Guts might just be speaking in broad terms here to either ask what they know about the state of the world and the Falcon of Light, or recount what he does know, but without necessarily going into his life story.

Holy hell, so excited! While I love crazy fights in this series, these are the ones I get truly excited for.

I can't wait to see them talk about the behelit and what they have to say about Griffith.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Oh man, the anticipation is killing me; not quite episode 303 bad, but the things we might learn in this episode...Can't wait!

Oburi

All praise Grail
This... looks... amazing. For as long as I've been following Berserk, sadly I wasn't a current reader when Guts first met up with Flora, so this is going to be great. The amount of information we are about to get...

Squiddot

Aazealh said:
By Berserk standards, you mean as opposed to Mozgus? Also, keep in mind that these guys are likely very very old and that their astral selves may have a strong influence on their corporeal selves. That could explain these features.

Yeah that's what I was getting at with the "could be intentional" Sorry, was at work and couldn't say as much as I wanted to. It could be that years in the astral world or use of magic has warped their physical bodies. Gedflynn had quite an odd shape as well. Their age is also pretty interesting because Flora was old enough to have known SkullKnight in his human days and didn't look much older than 60 by remaining within the spirit tree's astral pocket. This council presumably has experienced the same life extension in Elfhelm. If they still look this ancient, we may be dealing with some characters who have lived incredibly long lives. Hopefully they have a deeper understanding of the Godhand compared to Flora, but that might not be the case which would mean Guts is the one schooling them on the behelit's function. That would be a shame, it would be nice to have some more characters who can help Guts in otherworldly affairs.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Squiddot said:
Hopefully they have a deeper understanding of the Godhand compared to Flora, but that might not be the case which would mean Guts is the one schooling them on the Beherit's function.

We're in agreement on your post in general, but I can't believe Guts will be teaching those gurus what a beherit is.

Squiddot

Aazealh said:
I can't believe Guts will be teaching those gurus what a beherit is.

You're right. I was misremembering Guts' conversation with Flora. I thought she only knew it was used to commune with the Godhand, and that it's tied to fate, not the sacrificial mechanics. But it's clear she understands everything about it and is just intentionally avoiding mentioning the horror of it. Damn, I was hoping if Guts needed to explain the requirements of a sacrifice it would be the perfect segue into his own history with Griffith.

Aazealh said:
We're in agrement on your post in general, but I can't believe Guts will be teaching those gurus what a beherit is.

It is true but they probably don't know two kind of beherit existing
And other using of it like skullknight sword
After skullknight he was the better in eclipse experience 4 time if my count was good

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
strategia said:
It is true but they probably don't know two kind of beherit existing
And other using of it like skullknight sword
After skullknight he was the better in eclipse experience 4 time if my count was good

I'm not sure that's probable at all. I wouldn't underestimate these guys if I were you.
As for the Skull Knight... I don't understand your last sentence but for all we know, they might know more about him than Guts does.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Okay. I REALLY have to go to bed, because it's late in Japan and I just got settled in. I'm really sorry guys. BUT I will give a quick overview of the first half.

We enter the home of the gurus, much to the awe of Guts and co. Isidro remarks how huge the places is. We are introduced to a few new faces here. The other gurus are busy playing chess, and not paying attention to their visitors. The red-nosed guru turns to someone and says "Hey, Danan-chan, is lunch ready yet?" while the others are still arguing about their chess match. Danan is introduced as a young, blonde witch with round balls in her hair, and flowers crowning her hat. She scolds him for just eating, but the red-nosed guru doesn't seem to recall doing so... old person jokes aplenty.

Isidro interrupts in his usual brash manner asking if this is where the village geriatrics meet, only to be quickly reprimanded by Cucca. She formally introduced these wizened grand sages.

居付きのスキルビル Skilbill the Settled = red nose, wavebeard
スラーイン Slyne / Slahin? = long-beard
ギンナル Ginnaru / Ginnal = black-eyed curly beard

(the other two had titles, but I decided to skip over them for now)

Danan is introduced as kind of the at-home help, and she, of course, welcomes Puck back after a long voyage. She bids them take off their shoes, as she is about to make some tea.

Guts wastes no time getting to the point. He is here to see the elf king. "I came all the way here with the feeling of 'I have to meet him no matter what it takes as I have something to request of him.' The object of my goal is right in front of me. Please!" he basically pleads. The gurus empathize, but first, Gelfring bids him calm down, and have some tea first. At this point everyone else chimes in to say that maybe a bit of a break and some of Danan's cooking wouldn't be so bad. Guts is impatient, but goes along with everyone else's wishes. (Puck literally says "My soul food!" while tucking into some snacks!)

At this time more witches from outside are peering in, clearly interested in the visitors. The group recounts some of their adventures with trolls and the like. The young witches seems shocked and impressed! Not Morda though. She is chilling off camera, as it were, reclining in a chair and being her usual smarmy self.

We cut to Ged who is talking to Guts. He says something like "According to 'The Blast of the Astral World,' the world brought about the Falcon of Light's is certainly the world of myth and legends that has been passed down from stories."

Guts: "That story. I want you to tell me the details."

A long, complicated explanation transpires that my tired brain refuses to translate or summarize right now. Something about the trees that connect the world, Griffith's objective, and the connection with the Beherit.

At the end of the episode, Guts tries to give the gurus an impression of Griffith. "To obtain a country is just a stepping stone. Surpassing the heights that you aim for, and continuing to soar past them, that is the Hawk, Griffith." or some such. Followed by....

http://m.imgur.com/eMhGi38

More Berserk next month. Oh, and a pretty huge double-sided poster of the manga/anime.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for going through the trouble man. Sleep well!
I'm really curious to know more about the trees, what Griffith did and what his objective may be. I'm sure we'll know more soon. :guts:

Top Bottom