Episode 345

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Aazealh said:
Thanks for going through the trouble man. Sleep well!
I'm really curious to know more about the trees, what Griffith did and what his objective may be. I'm sure we'll know more soon. :guts:

I think their attack on Flora was the beginning of Griffith's attack on "The Forest of Spiritual Trees", but I'll need time to translate.

Sorry I couldn't do more, man. おやすみ

Imperator Hanseatic

Ultimately just a crippled neet who loves Berserk.
Uriel said:
Followed by....

dXY6QOtV.jpg:small

More Berserk next month. Oh, and a pretty huge double-sided poster of the manga/anime.

I'm getting "page does not exist."

Anyway, thank you for this Uriel. :ubik:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
I think their attack on Flora was the beginning of Griffith's attack on "The Forest of Spiritual Trees", but I'll need time to translate.

Sorry I couldn't do more, man. おやすみ

Don't be sorry, every bit helps. :serpico:

Uriel said:
At the end of the episode, Guts tries to give the gurus an impression of Griffith. "To obtain a country is just a stepping stone. Surpassing the heights that you aim for, and continuing to soar past them, that is the Hawk, Griffith." or some such.

While it isn't really "new" to the astute reader that after having become Femto, he doesn't just want a kingdom anymore, I like that Guts himself can clearly feel it. That his ambition is boundless.

Uriel said:

Oh shit, nice! I've already ordered a physical copy because it's a "Berserk special", and I see I had the right hunch! :ubik:

Uriel said:
http://m.imgur.com/eMhGi38

More Berserk next month.

If we're still getting another episode next month, have they just not decided on which YA animal issue it is going to be in yet then?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Theozilla said:
If we're still getting another episode next month, have they just not decided on which YA animal issue it is going to be in yet then?

The mention at the end of the episode says "to be continued". Not sure whether that means Berserk will be in the next issue (August 12) or the one after that (August 26) from just that. I'd expect it in one month, however. In the meantime, I would suggest that you enjoy the episode that's barely even out yet.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Theozilla said:
"To be Continued" is present since the start of the Monthly serialization.

Tey simply put the date in another spot of the last page, like in the last Episode, for example.

RaffoBaffo said:
"To be Continued" is present since the start of the Monthly serialization.

Tey simply put the date in another spot of the last page, like in the last Episode, for example.

Ahh, gotcha. Forgot about that. Thanks for reminder. Based on the Korean leaks the next episode appears to be scheduled for the August 26 YA issue.

WOW! What an episode! This is some amazing stuff. Definitely what we've all been waiting for and then some. This is a big moment in Berserk history guys!

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Looks like a lot of discussion. I feel like this is going to be a really great episode! Beherits, World Spiral Tree, Falconia. I love Guts' comment on Griffith's ambition.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Uriel said:
A long, complicated explanation transpires that my tired brain refuses to translate or summarize right now. Something about the trees that connect the world, Griffith's objective, and the connection with the Beherit.

At the end of the episode, Guts tries to give the gurus an impression of Griffith. "To obtain a country is just a stepping stone. Surpassing the heights that you aim for, and continuing to soar past them, that is the Hawk, Griffith." or some such. Followed by....

http://m.imgur.com/eMhGi38

Holy shit! :isidro: So, that's pretty much everything I'd like to hear about from Guts' closely guarded point of view. Thanks for all the info, Uriel!

Aazealh said:
Don't be sorry, it already tells us quite a bit!

Hell yeah, this is going to be great, and makes explaining his past a bit inevitable, simply to acknowledge what he knows.

Aazealh said:
While it isn't really "new" to the astute reader that after having become Femto, he doesn't just want a kingdom anymore, I like that Guts himself can clearly feel it. That his ambition is boundless.

Yeah, the castle, crown, and Griffith's speech from his very first appearance was always a metaphor for him really being Femto at his core, not the other way around. "Well, now that I've ascended to Godhood, I can finally get that large stone fortress I've always wanted!" Hell, the speech itself is pretty literal in that it acknowledges the limitations of even a King, and Griffith's desire to transcend every station in life, including that one. Becoming a King from nothing was merely a proof, but that he happened to be a human being proved too much an inconvenience. =)

Wow, it's like the visit to Flora's on steroids. Thanks Aaz, definitely looking forward to continued dissections of this. Also, I don't know if it's the filters and quality on these scans, the incorporation of more digital techniques, or the much maligned "assistants" but some of the imagery, particularly Guts' model, looks a little funky in places.

Delta Phi said:
Looks like a lot of discussion. I feel like this is going to be a really great episode! Beherits, World Spiral Tree, Falconia. Wonder what Guts thinks of Griffith now...

It sounds like there's still a hint of admiration there, despite the obvious and deserved personal hatred and disgust. After all, Guts was fine with Griffith's ambitions and tactics until he and the Falcons were on the wrong end of them and Griff literally became a monster. It's going to be the best though when Guts says to Griff's face that he lost all respect for him because, "You couldn't hack it as a human, bro. Like ME! You're just the god of losers, really. :guts:" :ganishka:

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
This is clearly an episode where the dialogue is the real treat. Here's a small find and seek for us mono-language speakers for the time being.

• Serpico being that one awkward guy at the party
  • Morda's siesta
  • Puck becoming progressively fatter, channelling his inner deviantart
  • Azan hanging out at the background character table (hopefully by choice)
  • Gut's Dragon Slayer doesn't fit on the chair
  • Some familiar apostles
  • A kitty familiar

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Come chat with us in our Discord channel about Ep. 345: https://discord.gg/HGUxB

To avoid confusion, please use your SKnet username in the chat. If you have trouble with it or the link, let me know via PM.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the summary, courtesy of puella. As usual keep in mind none of this is final until we can see the Japanese text.

The episode title is "Great Gurus".

As they enter the house, Isidro comments on how big it is. Big enough that Schierke's home (the house of the spiritual tree) could fit inside that hall in its entirety. The gurus are playing chess. One says "checkmate" and the other one pretends he needs to leave as an elixir he's brewing must be ready now. They bicker about it: "you're trying to escape like this again!" to which the other replies "it's you who's always escaping, yesterday there was no moon but you talked about a ceremony, I could see right through it!" All the while the third guru is asking their help, Danan, if the meal is ready yet. She replies that they've just had a meal, to which he says "ohhh is that so?"

Upon seeing this, Isidro bluntly asks it is a retirement home. Cucca tells him he's rude, and explains that they are gurus, like Lord Gedflynn, who lead the magicians in this village. She presents them and they each have a specialty associated with their name (see Uriel's post for that). And of course there's Danan, who helps with chores and stuff. She welcomes Puck home and tells him he must have gone through a lot of trouble on his journey. She comments on how journey is supposed to make people grow up... but that with him it seems it's not the case, although he did get fatter. Then she's off to make tea.

Guts speaks up: "Sorry but can I meet the king of elves, the King of the Flower Storm, before that?" Schierke utters his name... Guts goes on: "We... I have something to ask him. I've come here with only that in mind. The one I've wanted to meet so much is just in front of me, please understand." Ged replies that he understands Guts is in a hurry, but urges him to take it easy for now, as a guest. He adds that although he's the king of elves, he won't disappear while they drink a cup of tea. Guts wants to insist, but Ged adds that "if you rush to him nervously, it might hurt his feelings."

Finally Ged adds that Guts' companions must also be tired from a long journey. Magnifico jumps on the occasion to say that yes, he's tired, so can he have his tea? Roderick comments that he never changes. Ged goes on to point out that besides, Guts' companions seem to like Danan's biscuits (as they gorge themselves). The red-nosed guru seems to be an addict himself. Isidro comments that indeed, the food of a witch is awesome. Puck calls it his "soul food" and Ivalera says that it's quite good, though not as much as Flora's biscuits. Guts is unhappy but accepts. Puck, as he's stuffing his face, adds that it's Ok, because the king of the elves isn't the easy type (implying he's not easy to deal with).

On that note, Danan arrives saying the cake is also ready, which prompts everyone to rush to her. Serpico tells Guts that he feels completely spent because the constant tension they've been under is finally eased up. Guts agrees. We cut to the group retelling their adventures. The audience comments "Ohhh trolls and Kushan monsters, a ghost ship and a sea god... must have been a really adventurous journey!". Isidro says "oh yeah" and specifies that they had turmoil every goddamn day and incessantly risked their lives. Guts comments that he's exaggerating a bit, but that it's essentially true. Cucca asks Schierke for confirmation and Schierke says yes, and that to be honest she can't even believe they arrived safely, even though it's a bit awkward to say as a magician. Cucca comments that the outside world is horrible. Ivalera says yes, and that without Schierke the group would have been destroyed long ago. Molda says that it's stimulating and sounds interesting, which displeases Cucca.

Ged gets serious and says it's the world the Falcon of Light created through the Blast of the Astral World. "It's really a world of legends that were passed down generation to generation."
Guts seizes the occasion: "That story... can you tell me more about it, old man?" Ged obliges. He asks them: Since that day, have you ever seen "the branches" that scrape the sky?

Isidro replies: Ah, you mean that thing we can see sometimes when the weather's good? Serpico says that at first, he thought it was a strangely shaped cloud... Roderick goes on: "But we can even see it during the day so we use it instead of constellations. To us seamen it's very convenient."

Ged explains that it's the branches of the world tree, the legendary giant tree that is said to connect heaven, earth and the netherworld (land of the dead). Schierke repeats: "the world tree..." Isidro says he's heard of it in some children's tale, but Ged says it's a bit more complicated with the magical analysis. Schierke asks him if he means "the road of dragons"? Ged is delighted. "Ohh, you're really the pupil of Flora, you must have studied much. This is indeed literally piercing deep inside of the astral world and the corporeal world. It's a giant "crack/rupture" that pierces through the world. Note how in that panel where Ged explains it, viewed flatly like that, it does look like a crack. Anyway, Isma asks what he means, and Schierke tells her to think about the den of a mole.

Schierke explains that during full moon nights, people can, rarely, get to pass on a road that connects the real world to the astral world. The small one is called "the road of elves" and it's connected to shallow ponds in the astral world. Sometimes that causes a child to get lost in the forest. Ged picks up: And the bigger one is called "the road of dragons", and is connected to the deep parts of the astral world (We see the Vortex of Souls as a background to that explanation). Ged then addresses Guts directly: The egg at your waist is something to reach to the abyss, that opens the road of dragons. Guts pulls it out and gets reactions from the kids, asking what it is or saying it's ugly, while Isidro jokes that it looks funny. Ged then asks Guts: "Then... is it yours? Or are you just its carrier?"

Guts replies with a reference to Flora: "Ahh those who are magicians... I've heard the same thing in the forest before." Then Puck interjects: "And like I said before, this is mine!" The witches tell him "Wait, isn't that thing dangerous? A cursed, monstrous thing..." Puck tries to convince them otherwise "Look at him carefully, he likes cheese", but without success as they're scared and disgusted. Ivalera is dismayed that he's "like that" even at home.

Schierke thanks Ged for the introduction, but asks if he could tell her about the attacks of the forests of spiritual trees and how they're related to the appearance of the world tree. The gurus answer: "Forest of spiritual trees is a general word that refers to a land that where there are giant trees that exist in "the interstice/crack". And each of the giant trees is a parasite tree that roots spiritually on the world tree." They go on to explain that those trees are symbolic representations that exist in different worlds, and that their role is to prevent the world tree's branches to extend to the real world. They do this by absorbing the world tree's power. The magicians based in the forests of spiritual trees do magical research based on the giant spiritual power that the trees have. And by protecting the land, they prevent the balance of the real world and astral world from tipping. They think it's their duty. They tell her that her teacher was also one of those magicians.

The gurus go on: "Now almost all forests of spiritual trees around the world have been burned to ashes. Because of that, the world tree got more power. So the ancient chaos when the real world and the astral world are mixed together is going to come back." Ged says that now, he wants to ask a question to the man in black, who has a deep relation to him: "Who the hell is the Falcon of Light? Can you tell me what he wants to do by twisting the world like that? What desire led him to be reborn as a Guardian Angel of Desire?"

Guts thinks to himself: "My, my... I've reached this place while restraining my fixation on Griffith. How could I ever expect to be asked a question about him in that place I've finally reached?" He then answers: "To acquire his own country." He goes on: "He said so on the days we were mercenaries, when we ate the same food." Ged comments: "Taking a country... indeed. I looked into it with my spiritual view. He revived a giant ancient city at the foot of the world tree. While the world is becoming chaotic, ironically only the base of the giant tree stands out like a typhoon's eye. It has become a land that repel evil spirits, thanks to the gentle spiritual power that land is full of. So now it has indeed become a normal country where humans can live peaceful lives."

Cucca is surprised to hear that Guts is an acquaintance of the Falcon of Light that brought up the Blast of the Astral World. She asks him what he is. Serpico comments that he's been surprised by Guts in many different ways but that this one is really beyond his imagination. "Your opponent, to whom you're connected, is such a powerful man that can change the world." Magnifico says to himself: "Ah that Black Swordsman has a connection with such an important person... I can't let it go." It prompts Roderick to comment that he truly is a merchant at heart. Isma complains that she can't understand anything, it's too complicated. Isidro reassures her: "Don't worry, me neither." He then tries to make sense of it: "Do you mean the person who is the Falcon of Light is the White Falcon, the hero of Midland?" Serpico says yes. Isidro goes on: "Hmm, I'm not sure but the Falcon used something like magic to make the world full of monsters." Puck responds: "Approximately right." Isidro keeps going: "And the Falcon is an old acquaintance of Guts." His deduction finally bears fruit: "It can't be!! The man I've respected, the 100 man slayer, the strongest man of the Band of the Falcon! You're also an acquaintance of his, Guts?! Awesome, please introduce him to me!"

Ged reflects: "To take a country, or more precisely to establish his own country. The whole world himself... It's helpless. Though he doesn't care about the means to reach his goal." Guts says that it's a bit different, it's the other way around. "To Griffith, the goal is about the means. And then says that "he hasn't changed at all. To acquire his country is just a passing point. He's the Falcon who flies as far as he can go, towards the highest possible goal. This is the Falcon, Griffith."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely magnificent. Thanks so much for the summary Aaz and Puella. I pulled over on the side of the road to read this monster
Its going to take some time to digest.

Griffith

Yeah, that's incredible, both the content and the summary in itself. Thank you, Aaz & Puella.

Aazealh said:
"It can't be!! The man I've respected, the 100 man slayer, the strongest man of the Band of the Falcon! You're also an acquaintance of his, Guts?! Awesome, please introduce him to me!"

:ganishka:

Aazealh said:
Guts says that it's a bit different, it's the other way around. To Griffith, the goal is about the means. And then says that "he hasn't changed at all. To acquire his country is just a passing point. He's the Falcon who flies as far as he can go, towards the highest possible goal. This is the Falcon, Griffith."

Whoa.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Seeing Guts talk about Griffith in that way, truly shows that only Guts ever really understood him. Their bond was something else, and even today guts shows immense respect for him, even after what happened. Ultimate bromance fantasy. Well at least it used to be, but its good to be reminded about it.

The World tree confuses me. It feels like one of those things that simply just " are " like plains of existence, something that was there since dawn of time, so I dont think we'll get an explanation as to why the tree connects the three realms. Now the question remains is who created/planted those parasite spiritual trees to restrain the world Tree. Ancient wizards, Gaiserick, were they always there? So many questions.

I'm like screaming at the screen, TELL HIM ALREADY. I hate suspense.

Thanks so much for the summary.

So Isidro asks Guts to introduce him to the 100 man slayer and again Guts just ignores the reference. Maybe next time...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Feeblecursedone said:
Seeing Guts talk about Griffith in that way, truly shows that only Guts ever really understood him. Their bond was something else, and even today guts shows immense respect for him, even after what happened. Ultimate bromance fantasy. Well at least it used to be, but its good to be reminded about it.

I think you're going too far here. Guts understood Griffith well, but there are ways in which Casca, for example, understood him better. At least during their talk at the waterfall, in volume 9, where she explained to him why Griffith had faltered after he had left. And I also don't think Guts is showing Griffith respect here, only acknowledging who he is and what drives him.

Feeblecursedone said:
The tree of life confuses me. It feels like one of those things that simply just " are " like plains of existence, something that was there since dawn of time, so I dont think we'll get an explanation as to why the tree connects the three realms. Now the question remains is who created/planted those parasite spiritual trees to restrain the world Tree. Ancient wizards, Gaiserick, were they always there? So many questions.

It's not called the tree of life. Using proper words is the first step towards comprehension. As for your questions... I think we'll get the answer sooner or later. :slan:

Feeblecursedone said:

Well he did answer Gedflynn's question.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Thanks so much, Aaz and Puella! This episode has me so excited.

Isidro is killing me! He has no idea how close he is :ganishka:

They go on to explain that those trees are symbolic representations that exist in different worlds, and that their role is to prevent the world tree's branches to extend to the real world. They do this by absorbing the world tree's power. And by protecting the land, they prevent the balance of the real world and astral world from tipping. They think it's their duty. They tell her that her teacher was also one of those magicians.

Am I understanding this correctly? The forest of spiritual trees aren't actually trees, it's just a phrase that describes the various seals that syphon the World Spiral Tree's power, and these seals are related to the land (the area around and including the tree house mansion?). So the apostles weren't just after Flora, but her "tree" as well (which was assumed based on the info from the previous episode).

Griffith

Feeblecursedone said:
Seeing Guts talk about Griffith in that way, truly shows that only Guts ever really understood him.

Actually, as Aaz pointed out with Casca, it was Guts misunderstanding of Griffith that took us down this road.

Feeblecursedone said:
Their bond was something else, and even today guts shows immense respect for him, even after what happened.

I don't think it's an endorsement. Guts may have admired Griffith for this back in volume 8, and such ambition in a vacuum, but it's ultimately a critique because that's all their is to Griff at the expense off all else, as Guts found out personally the hard way. Griffith isn't a very good friend, in so many words.

Feeblecursedone said:

Do you mean tell Isidro about being the 100 man slayer, or present company that he and Casca were Griffith's sacrifices?

Aazealh said:
I think you're going too far here. Guts understooAnd I also don't think Guts is showing Griffith respect here, only acknowledging who he is and what drives him.

Well, it's relatively respectful given that he's not merely calling him a traitorous fuckin' monster, at least directly. :guts:

Androyd said:
I wonder if restoring the forests of spirit trees will be the endgame to toppling Griffith, God Hand, and ioE.

A reasonable thought, but how, and God that sounds time consuming; do you really want to watch them go restore all the magic trees in the world? How about Guts just chops them in half instead. Problem solved. =)

Top Bottom