Would it have been better if Griffith lost his memory after being reborn?

Would it have been more interesting story wise if Griffith had no recollection of what he did as his demon form when he was reborn into the human world? I'm not sure how the story would have unfolded but Guts trying to kill Griffith who is being guarded by Zodd, with Griffith having no idea why his comrade wants to kill him sounds like it could have been interesting.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it would have been better, no. You have to understand that technically, "Griffith" wasn't "reborn". What happened is that Femto (who was "born" from Griffith during the Eclipse) acquired a fleshly body. Until then Femto only existed as a spirit in the Astral World, so he couldn't materialize in the real world. He only had a spiritual body. But through an incredible set of circumstances, a once in a thousand years event occurred: Femto was incarnated.

And because he used to be Griffith when he was human, his new body naturally resembles the old one. But make no mistake, nothing has changed. That new Griffith is only a flesh costume for Femto. He is still a member of the God Hand, and his goals aren't those he used to have as a human. With what you're proposing, not only would the current story not be possible, but I'm not even sure what story there could be. Either way, I think it's much better the way it is.

I'm not sure how having a totally clueless antagonist would make the story interesting to be honest. Also, the scenario you're proposing makes the God Hand seem rather incompetent, in that the one they sent to fulfill their plans wouldn't know what he's doing.

Aazealh said:
I don't think it would have been better, no. You have to understand that technically, "Griffith" wasn't "reborn". What happened is that Femto (who was "born" from Griffith during the Eclipse) acquired a fleshly body. Until then Femto only existed as a spirit in the Astral World, so he couldn't materialize in the real world. He only had a spiritual body. But through an incredible set of circumstances, a once in a thousand years event occurred: Femto was incarnated.

And because he used to be Griffith when he was human, his new body naturally resembles the old one. But make no mistake, nothing has changed. That new Griffith is only a flesh costume for Femto. He is still a member of the God Hand, and his goals aren't those he used to have as a human. With what you're proposing, not only would the current story not be possible, but I'm not even sure what story there could be. Either way, I think it's much better the way it is.

Thanks for clearing it up for me regarding the whole reborn thing. Also, I have been meaning to ask since the manga does not make it very clear, and I don't know if I am supposed to know this or not yet but does Femto remember his life as Griffith or no? Also, I look forward to taking the quiz you made once I finish volume 34!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zant said:
Thanks for clearing it up for me regarding the whole reborn thing. Also, I have been meaning to ask since the manga does not make it very clear, and I don't know if I am supposed to know this or not yet but does Femto remember his life as Griffith or no?

No problem, always glad to help. Regarding Femto, yes of course he remembers his life as Griffith. That's why he violated Casca in front of Guts as soon as he was "born". It's also made clear by the first interaction we see between Guts and him in volume 3 of the manga, and after Femto is incarnated as a new Griffith, when he comes to see him in volume 22. While he underwent a big transformation that changed who he is at his core, his past experiences are still there.

Zant said:
Also, I look forward to taking the quiz you made once I finish volume 34!

Hehe, have fun with it! But beware, it's pretty tough! You need to take it many times to succeed. :daiba:

Aazealh said:

I'm planning a deeper reread of Berserk later this year to get a handle on all these interesting little details, but for now you seem knowledgeable so let me ask you this:

Do you know if they ever mention/hint at how time works in the astral layer, and in particular how that might relate to Femto or the other members of the God Hand? The specific reason I'm asking this is because while I understand the other members of the God Hand are quite old, I'm wondering if they aren't older in experience in the sense that where they previously resided time operated differently, kind of like how things work on the island, but perhaps in reverse (I haven't read the latest episode yet btw, I might be waiting to pile up a few if I can since things are really cooking now).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
scopedog said:
Do you know if they ever mention/hint at how time works in the astral layer, and in particular how that might relate to Femto or the other members of the God Hand? The specific reason I'm asking this is because while I understand the other members of the God Hand are quite old, I'm wondering if they aren't older in experience in the sense that where they previously resided time operated differently, kind of like how things work on the island, but perhaps in reverse

It has never been mentioned in the manga so far, so we should assume that time flows similarly for them. However since their consciousness is on a very different level, they can still experience things no normal human would understand.

Aazealh said:
It has never been mentioned in the manga so far, so we should assume that time flows similarly for them. However since their consciousness is on a very different level, they can still experience things no normal human would understand.

Okay thanks for the response in any case, just something I was curious about. Had a feeling if anyone know it'd be you or Walter. I quietly check out these forums every now and then and you guys seem to have the entire series memorized, haha. Lots of good insight to be had around here.

I've actually only read Berserk once through now so I don't quite have a handle on these things yet, bit too much to absorb all at once especially when you're reading it all in a sort of orgasmic frenzy over the course of 2 weeks. Berserk is indeed really special. Though I actually did grow up watching the anime, some 13-14 years ago and it has always kind of stuck with me as something that made a pretty huge impression during a formative period (frankly I was probably too young at the time, sheesh). But I guess I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to the 'Berserk proper', the manga. All I can say is it was a really wild ride, finally looking into where exactly things go after the golden age (plus the missing details not included in the anime). I now have serious doubts that there is a single comic/manga that's in the same league as this, outside of maybe Lone Wolf and Cub.

Aw hell, I'm starting to think my ambition to save up a few episodes won't last after all.... :farnese:

Belle Sadique

bop skiddie bop
Lawliet said:
I'm not sure how having a totally clueless antagonist would make the story interesting to be honest. Also, the scenario you're proposing makes the God Hand seem rather incompetent, in that the one they sent to fulfill their plans wouldn't know what he's doing.

I agree. His memories make him Berserk's main antagonist. It's just better that way.

Top Bottom