2016 Berserk album from Susumu Hirasawa

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
It's fun to buy it straight from Teslakite if you can wade through the forms. I got a big pile of DVDs and CDs a while back and it had a lil thanks note from the guy that packed them up.

D

Dragon Warrior

WOW!! SIGN 3? This is AWESOME!

Sign has always been my favorite song of Susumu works for Berserk. I aslo like Forces 2 and 1 alot followed by Indra.

Can't wait to listen to these amazing songs again :guts:

(I also hope they use SIGN 3 in the new BERSERK game)

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
...but track 6, Horde of Thistledown, was new to me. I did some research, and it's actually from his 2012 studio album, The Secret of The Flowers of Phenomenon. This track was also apparently used in a Golden Age Movie III promotional video that I don't think anyone outside of Japan got to see (darn). You can hear this track here.

Yeah. This album is one of my favorite by him. And it turns out that this song is also one of my favorite on that album. I did not know that it was used for a promo of the third movie though.

I think I'll get that little album. I want the new songs anyway.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
The other one that stuck out to me was Zoddo II. With this album, he was probably trying to cover the range of his Berserk compositions from over the years -- but I dunno, in that case, where's Guts' theme, Beherit, etc? And among the Dreamcast game's selections, why not Niko or Sister's Story/Nun's Tale? Oh well, Zoddo II is good too, it's just not the one I'd have gone for.

As excited as i am for this, i find the lack of DC tunes pretty disappointing. He should've gone all the way to compile all of his Berserk compositions. Maybe, for some reason, he doesn't own all of them?

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Pink-Dark-Boy said:
A preview of the album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCnqcpE4ugI

Thank you! Wow, the new stuff just sounds great. Forces 2016 is getting me pumped up! :azan: I can't wait to hear the rest of it!!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
Forces 2016 is getting me pumped up! :azan:

I found the sample we got intriguing, since it's heavily remixed compared to the others (not that it shouldn't be given how many versions of it already exist). That aside, Sign 3's alright I guess, but I'm more interested in Ash Crow. It seems like it'd perfectly fit a Castlevania boss fight. :void:

D

Dragon Warrior

Sign 3 looks like a remixed version of Sign 2. But it looks okay.
Forces... hmm original one is much much better.

Indra's new remix looks pretty great!

I also like the new song Hai yo/oh from the new anime.

Susumu is a legend!

Now that my excitement has died down, I can write a first impressions of the new music without being influenced by it :ganishka:

Ashes = Back when I heard this during the second Berserk trailer I fell in love with it. Now after hearing some extended previews my feelings for it have not swayed. The intro with the electronic bagpipes and the "Hai Yo!~" chant is perfect for a heroic/in the nick of time entrance (which I think was utilised in the anime, Guts vs Bakiraka is a good example)

Forces-2016 = I dig this version a lot, with the 17-16 seconds I had listening to it I feel that this version would not suit moments of epic proportions like the original one could, it can definately suit the minor confrontations Guts goes through (like Forces 1.5.) But I need to hear more to properly comment on it, there is a reason that this had the shortest preview.

ZODDO II = It was decent, it's nice to see that "Fear" is getting a new rendition of sorts. The type of song I would play when some catastrophy or a catastrophic battle is going on.

INDRA 2016 = Not much I can say about this one, other than it sounds like a more modern version of the original track. Pretty good.

Ash Crow = I liked this song a lot, mostly because of the "Ash Crow" chants and the rocking guitar playing later on.

Sign III = When I first heard about Sign III I was mostly expecting it to be a rendition of the first version and be similar to it. Was kind of surprised that he made it similar to Sign II which I thought was already pretty much perfect. It sounds good, but I am still a bit puzzled.

My thoughts are probably going to change as I listen to the album next month, and maybe I can flesh them out alot more also. Sucks having to give impressions of music without having much technical knowledge about music :ganishka:

So i don't know if anyone was aware but there's a video on youtube that is very clean and has the preview of hai yo from Susumus' new album.
Its not much but its quite enjoyable to me.
Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbIIkteR7iU

Edit: Sorry about that admin. I missed this thread XD
Edit2: Wow the whole album sounds really great :ubik: I haven't actually bought any berserk merch really but im seriously considering this

Walter said:
This is on sale right now, folks.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/DAKCHTE-79

I special ordered mine from the local Kinokuniya Book Store a few weeks back. It hasn't arrived yet but I have called them everyday! I can't wait much longer.

I'm surprised there's not much talk about this album. I got it on Friday and listened to it all weekend. IT IS EVERYTHING a Berserk fan and a Susumu fan could ever hope for. It's glorious! Listening to this CD just fills me with so much joy and nostalgia. There is nothing like it.

0Suy82q.jpg

I really like Forces 2016. Fantastic remix. All the new renditions were lovely, although none too far-out there. Indra 2016 was great. The instrumentals were just so so, though. I will probably skip them for the most part. I think my only wish would be that the Guts theme from the 1997 anime had a new rendition. That song was the most iconic for me.

Sigh, why can't Susumu just do every Berserk song for every Berserk anime. <3

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: 2016 Berserk album from Susumu Hirasawa [Ash Crow]

Wow, this album is a real treat for Berserk fans. Seriously, if you like Hirasawa Susumu's music at all, go snatch it up right now.

These tracks span so many years, and so many iterations of Berserk, listening brings back some great memories. I had hoped Susumu would be a bit more ambitious with the range of variations in these remixes (and that's what they are, not fully new versions), but it's undeniably a great way to re-experience and celebrate some of his best tracks.

After one full listen, my favorites are probably Forces 2016 and Indra 2016. Sign 3 is unfortunately more like Sign 2.5, merely adding a few more layers on top of the existing track, and I feel like it's inferior to Sign 2, which was already inferior to Sign 1 :void:. Many of Susumu's songs are formulaic (and I mean that lovingly), but Ashes almost feels lazy or sloppy compared to something like Sign or even Aria. Ash Crow is certainly a better song, perhaps as a result of it being a fresh experience for me, though it's also a much more traditional Susumu song, in line with his album work, not his soundtrack work.

As this is effectively a Berserk Greatest Hits collection from the man who defined Berserk's sound, I feel like the other great Berserk tracks from him, Guts, Beherit, Murder, Earth and Nun's Tale also deserve to be here, with Zodd II's placement seeming out of place. But those comments aside, I wouldn't have changed much else about this album. Something old, something new, something different. I can't think of a cooler piece of Berserk merchandise in years, honestly.

A few days ago, I had an insight.

In general, I was thinking about the "Project Saga" animation, as well the whole merchandising involving 'Berserk'.

Connect the dots and see its pattern was not a hard work. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if "Sign 3" would be listed in the new game, considering this to be a "collaboration title" AND the fact that both anime and manga (and other merchandise) seem to walk together in a long-term-plan...

I think the new version of Indra (2016) is amazing and better than the old version (which was already the most underrated Berserk vocal song, I believe). Anyone else agree? The opening is just stunning. That's my favourite song off the new album.

Henry Spencer said:
I think the new version of Indra (2016) is amazing and better than the old version (which was already the most underrated Berserk vocal song, I believe). Anyone else agree? The opening is just stunning. That's my favourite song off the new album.

Totally agree, it's my favorite as well. Here's hoping he composes new songs for the shitty anime's new season so he gets an excuse to release another album just like this, with 2017 versions of the tracks Walter mentioned. Please! :judo:

Eluvei said:
Totally agree, it's my favorite as well. Here's hoping he composes new songs for the shitty anime's new season so he gets an excuse to release another album just like this, with 2017 versions of the tracks Walter mentioned. Please! :judo:

Word. If anything, it's given us some new Berserk from the master himself, to listen to. And that second season will doubt bring another new Berserk album from Hirasawa with more remixes. Anyone else have any requests for what he remixes next? I would love it if he remixed Niko from the Dreamcast game, that track was insane. Then there was those ethereal tracks like Earth from the 90s anime and A Sister's Story from the DC game and the reflective Gut's theme. Would love to see those remixed and of course, Murder. New songs as well, of course, especially it's of the caliber of Aria, Hai Yo (Ashes) and Ash Crow.

I could really care less about the new composer's work, what snippets I've heard from the new anime sounds like butt rock and generic fantasy music.

Top Bottom