2016 Berserk TV series: Episode 7

What did you think of the seventh episode of the 2016 TV series?

• It was great.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Some problems, but enjoyable.

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • It was bad, but had some redeeming features.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • I hated it.

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This is the official discussion thread for the seventh episode of the 2016 TV series. Post your thoughts, impressions and reviews as you see fit.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Again, I was able to enjoy the episode even though the negative stuff. Apparently cutting horses in half makes an explosion sound. The dragon slayer in this berserk universe must have special properties... :ganishka:

I don't expect a lot of you guys to like this one.

That song with Isidro.. ugh that one was weird.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, one thing they did well in this episode was Isidro's near-death leap. After he landed, sobbing to himself before doing his best to recover and saying CHUUUUUUUUS. It actually got a real laugh out of me, and it was because of the delivery of the voice actor. :ubik:

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
Well, one thing they did well in this episode was Isidro's near-death leap. After he landed, sobbing to himself before doing his best to recover and saying CHUUUUUUUUS. It actually got a real laugh out of me, and it was because of the delivery of the voice actor. :ubik:

Indeed I liked that part. Most Isidro's scenes were nice imo. Except when he's walking while searching for Casca, it looks weird.

Rushed pacing, lack of atmosphere and buildup, awful animation, blah, blah, blah. Same song and dance.

Least the scene towards the end where Guts cut through the possessed pagans was kinda' neat, particularly how the camera followed the sword. A rare moment where they actually took serious advantage of the animation medium. Too bad the heroic image of Guts and Casca's reunion was botched with their use of the crappy CG model. A shame, considering that's one of my favorite two-page spreads in the manga. And Isidro and Puck were entertaining, though that music during his attack on the pagans was stupid as hell. It sounds like something you sweat up a storm dancing to in the club, not to watch a kid stone people in a fantasy story. But then why should I be surprised? These are people who think Berserk needs to have metal guitar riffs.

Was better than last weeks' at least, in terms of pacing. About on par with episode 5.

I mentioned once that Isidro and Puck are the best things in this adaptation and it seems more definite now. Their VAs are among the few that seem like they are actually trying and the more comedic scenes play to the strengths of the series director.

The final scenes with Guts showing up were handled decently enough, and the possessed goat-man.

Though that scene of Guts running with Luca looked a lot funnier than it should have.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Loved it! This episode was awesome with Isidro and Puck. I definitely was smiling and laughed a few times. They did a great job this episode. The ending was very nice too and looked great. I say this one's the best they've put out yet.

Also just noticed the CLANG has been changed to a more tolerable noise. Haven't really noticed till now

way more enjoyable than last episode, guts saving casca wasn't butchered, the puck and isidro duo is glorious :isidro: :puck:. i didn't like how they referred to that bar scene when isidro was recalling his past, even though it was brief, same thing with farnese and the boar apostle. I get why they did it but i just wish they'd stop referring to those anime original scenes, but overal far more pleasant than last episode

I was quite happy with this episode. In my opinion it flowed much better and actually felt like everything in the episode happened right. I cant think of the words but it felt like they put this episode together much better than the previous ones and everything happening in order actually made sense. In other words i think new viewers would be able to process this chain of events. Maybe. They made :casca: look like she recognized guts because her eyes were gleaming the way anime eyes do when people get emotional, and his reflection in her eyes. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. :isidro: name is actually introduced here, i thought it was said earlier in the manga, though i may just be remembering wrong. Can't wait for next week, i'm really looking forward to it.
:edit: The scene where puck was supposed to be flying off at blistering speed... they hung on that for just a little too long and it looked pretty sloppy.

Holy shit, this one was actually good, only one or two problems like some of the soundtrack, but Isidro a d Puck made me laugh a couple of times, it felt less rushed than the last one, wich was the worst IMO, and Guts was pretty badass. The CGI was better too and aside from ep 1 and the one with the boar apostle, it is almost 100% true to the original. Also Luca is one of my fav characters and they handled her quite well. I'm just scared that the final fight with Mozgus is gonna suck because of CGI...

It was definitely one of the best episodes so far. It was much more fluid than feeling like it was shoving story points down your throat at a crazy rapid pace. I feel so sorry for newcomers of this section of the story for that. Honestly, this episode was downright masterful in comparison the episode that came before it.

It's like they just wanted to rush the story as quickly as possible to get to the climax of this arc.

I find it still lacks the proper atmosphere and tensity the series should be known for though.

Best episode so far for me. Team Isidro & Puck were very entertaining (omg that Isidro "near-death leap" scene had me rolling!) and their characters are finally being developed more which REALLY needed to happen. Glad to see they showed Puck's healing capabilities in this ep too. Bout damn time. Also, Luca is definitely leaving a memorable mark in this adaptation which I'm happy about since she is a great side character in the manga. But what takes the cake for me is that last panel with Guts in front and Casca behind him (y'all know!)... one of my FAVORITE and memorable moments from the manga. It had so much impact on me when I read it originally, and considering how several emotional scenes in the anime have fallen a bit flat thus far, I was worried how they were going to adapt this scene. But personally, I really felt this one hit it right on the money. I loved it so much! I re-watched it twice!

Didnt they already show that possession bit from the opening scene???

This episode actually was, as y'all are saying, a lot more enjoyable than pretty much all previous episodes due to the pacing. Thats not saying very much though, cause its still not even decent imo. But yeah, since pretty much everything this far has been so extremely bad in comparison this one really did feel exceptionally good in that context. Thing is though, I cant really bring myself to be the slightest bit happy about it due to the very fact that they've already messed up the foundation so brutally, and Im afraid that will always be there in the back of my mind no matter how good it gets, you just cant erase a fuck up this bad.

Same goes for the animation, still bad but there're actually quite a few instances where its not quite at that ridiculous level as we've gotten before. I did like that shot of Puck pondering on top of Isidro's head, nice little moment, then of course immediately back to Isidro's awkward walking, from that upward angle it almost looked like he was rocking some dance moves... The very bottom of this episode would probably be the clones at the cave I'd say.

Nice background music when Farnese gets notified by the presence of Guts, incidentally thats also the only good thing about it though.
And yeah, the leap by Isidro was actually nice. Isidro in the cave is probably the best thing about this episode.
I always imagined the outbursts of the goat was really horrific and frightening, not to mention, y'know, kinda goat-ish? VERY underwhelming, just a detail but annoyed me nontheless.
As I said before its probably cause my eyes have gotten use to the abuse by now but the very save scene + the slaughter actually looked somewhat good.

Reading reviews for the on going series abroad, and I'm pretty sad and fusterated to see the user comments praising the series but dismissing the source material. Like they're too good or too busy to read the manga. To me its pretty much saying "I love and trust this series so much, I just know they nailed it with a quality adaption. So leave me alone about reading the manga."

The thing I liked most about this episode is that Guts was shown as the intimidating force that he is. In the books there's always a sense of fear and tension wherever Guts goes that I feel has been missing in this anime until now. This one finally captured his personality I feel. I hope they keep up at this rate with the characters because all of them are being portrayed very well and true to the story at this point.

I love this episode! Guts is portrayed more powerful than previous episodes! There is an aura of invincibility and unstoppable force. No mercy, slash all! Love it! Great partnership between isidro and puck. The last scene is the best with Guts rushing to save Casca

Death May Die said:
Reading reviews for the on going series abroad, and I'm pretty sad and fusterated to see the user comments praising the series but dismissing the source material. Like they're too good or too busy to read the manga. To me its pretty much saying "I love and trust this series so much, I just know they nailed it with a quality adaption. So leave me alone about reading the manga."
Abroad as in where? Youtube? There's no way you mean here.... If you do mean youtube, tbh most of the people on there don't know shit about berserk. And if we're talking crunchyroll they're even worse. Trust me, the people who dismiss the source material are just your general anime watchers who don't give AF about anything else. Don't bother reading reviews anywhere else than here man. It's just a waste of time in my opinion. After all you can't help anyone who thinks this series is good... they're already braindead.

I would have to agree with most of the other posters in that this was the best episode so far, not saying much but hey its an improvement. I definitely noticed the awkward running sequence with Guts and Luca, kind of like he was running in slow motion. The one part that confused me was when Puck says that Isidoro means rock throwing thief. Am I missing something here? I know the translations aren't always reliable so if anyone can give me some insight on what that was about it would be greatly appreciated.

jackson_hurley

TripleJMaster3 said:
The one part that confused me was when Puck says that Isidro means rock throwing thief. Am I missing something here? I know the translations aren't always reliable so if anyone can give me some insight on what that was about it would be greatly appreciated.

There is a quote very similar to that one in the manga. That's nothing added or changed. maybe not the exact exact same words but very similar. (well at least in the dark horse translation, I can't say for the original Japanese text though)

jackson_hurley said:
There is a quote very similar to that one in the manga. That's nothing added or changed. maybe not the exact exact same words but very similar. (well at least in the dark horse translation, I can't say for the original Japanese text though)

Thank you, Sir. I knew it must have been, but couldn't recall. About to check the chapter to see if perhaps I had a bad translation or maybe just missed it. Furthermore, I was also trying to see if there was any truth to the meaning of the name since I can't seem to find it anywhere. At the very least it gave me a good chuckle.

jackson_hurley

TripleJMaster3 said:
Thank you, Sir. I knew it must have been, but couldn't recall. About to check the chapter to see if perhaps I had a bad translation or maybe just missed it. Furthermore, I was also trying to see if there was any truth to the meaning of the name since I can't seem to find it anywhere. At the very least it gave me a good chuckle.

Yeah I had a laugh there too. I know it says something like "Stone thief" or something on the manga, but I'm at work and don't have my volume to check the episode for reference.

P.S.

Found the reference in the Manga, but honestly the version I read I could see how it might have gone unnoticed. Puck says "ahhh so Ishidori!?" "A Robber... Who Throws...Stones?" Still not sure where the meaning comes from so if someone knows more about it I would love to know. Couldn't find much in my search through the archives although I will admit searching by name and meaning brings up extensive unrelated results so forgive me if it's already been discussed in another thread.

Top Bottom