Did the Sword of the Berserk Dreamcast game foreshadow Casca's healing?

Hey Everyone,

Now that we are so close to meeting the King of the Flower Storm, I was rereading the transcript from episode 344 and noticed this sentence.

Then Kuka says "is to bring her sanity back?" but Schierke continues "is to find a peaceful land for the cursed woman". Kuka says that now that she thinks of it, she's heard that the King of the Flower Storm can get deep inside somebody's mind using a "gallery/corridor of dreams", and so that it might be possible to cure Casca.

It made me think back to this scene from Sword of the Berserk (Berserk Millennium Falcon Arc: Chapter of the Flowers of Oblivion) on the Sega Dreamcast. https://youtu.be/N32QQqKOf5I?t=6436

I believe its the only time where Casca has reverted back to normal for a period of time. Correct me if I'm wrong, since there are some insanely knowledgeable people here on this board (Aazealh, Walter, etc.).

Sword of the Berserk was written by Miura, so its canon in regards to the main storyline, right?

So it seems dreams, or waking Casca up from her "bad" dream is the key to healing her.

Kinda neat if the hints were there all the way back in 1999.

Not very sure of how that scene foreshadows anything about Casca's cure, also the method of her being cured was not through magical means such as utilizing a gallery/corridor of dreams, but it was through the use of the Mandragora which makes people lose their sanity (but also makes people regain their sanity, as shown in that cutscene)

I'm not sure if anyone has played the Japanese version, because most English dubs back in the 1990's took huge liberties with translations and I'm sure this game is no different. Still, I always found it interesting that when a temporarily sane Casca spoke, she described herself as, "dreaming a really bad dream."

The Mandragora possession was only a temporary cure, but it did give us some insight into what was going on with the sane part of Casca's mind.

All this is speculation of course and none of us will know what happens until she's cured, but if her mind is locked in a dream, or tricked into thinking that its dreaming, then the gallery/corridor of dreams will make more sense.

I've been following Berserk like many of the people here, for a good portion of my life. I'm beyond excited in what the next few chapters will no doubt bring (the possible restoration of Casca).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dr Majin said:
It made me think back to this scene from Sword of the Berserk (Berserk Millennium Falcon Arc: Chapter of the Flowers of Oblivion) on the Sega Dreamcast. https://youtu.be/N32QQqKOf5I?t=6436

I believe its the only time where Casca has reverted back to normal for a period of time. Correct me if I'm wrong, since there are some insanely knowledgeable people here on this board (Aazealh, Walter, etc.).

That is correct. And to answer the question you ask in the thread title: yes, the Dreamcast game foreshadowed her being cured. That's the whole point of the scene. It's also why there's never been much doubt it would happen eventually.

Dr Majin said:
Sword of the Berserk was written by Miura, so its canon in regards to the main storyline, right?

The game was intended to be canon, but it ended up not really being so. Between the time Miura wrote the game's story and the time the manga caught up to it (about 2 years), the main story had evolved in a slightly different direction and so they weren't 1:1 anymore.

Dr Majin said:
So it seems dreams, or waking Casca up from her "bad" dream is the key to healing her.

Given what we've been told about the King, there's no doubt dreams will be involved in some fashion. I'm not sure it'll tie perfectly to her dialogue in the game though, which was a pretty straightforward reference (regaining one's sanity = awakening from a nightmare).

Top Bottom