2016 Berserk TV series: Episode 8

What did you think of the eighth episode of the 2016 TV series?

• It was great.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Some problems, but enjoyable.

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • It was bad, but had some redeeming features.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • I hated it.

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
This is the official discussion thread for the eighth episode of the 2016 TV series. Post your thoughts, impressions and reviews as you see fit.

jackson_hurley

Re: 2016 Berserk TV series : Episode 8

Thought I'd start it. I don't know how to make it a poll though so feel free to modified or whatever.

I liked that one for the majority of it. The fight with the goat pseudo-apostle was nice. The cliff scene with Serpico was neat too. The animation did not bugged me that much. Either I'm used to it now or they got better...

One thing stupid was Farnese beating two of the Holy Iron Chain Knight with her sword in it's scabbard for 2min. I didn't get that.

jackson_hurley said:
One thing stupid was Farnese beating two of the Holy Iron Chain Knight with her sword in it's scabbard for 2min. I didn't get that.

Agreed. The weird things they focus on...

Overall it was a decent episode. Pretty faithful to the manga and the sound effects have all improved. The music was still pretty slapped together and recycled, and the fights looked pretty cheap. And what the hell was going on in that torture chamber? Was there no budget to animate?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

jackson_hurley said:
Thought I'd start it. I don't know how to make it a poll though so feel free to modified or whatever.

I've added the poll. I had forgotten there was an episode airing. I'm having a harder time remembering it each week.

Best episode yet (not saying much though). I liked the fight with the goat apostle, even though I was hoping for more. I imagined him as much more nimble, with more 'spring' in his movements when I read that part in the manga.

The fight with Serpico could have been better too (especially his epic dodge at the end in the manga), but it wasn't too bad.

I found the part when they played the soundtrack 'Griffith's Dream' with a very slow tempo kinda ridiculous.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
I enjoyed this episode. The goat pseudo-apostle scene was more action packed than I thought it was going to be. That part where the blood of the goat splattered all over the Dragonslayer after Guts' bomb was sick.
Some of this episodes animation was sloppy. Especially the part when the Holy Iron Chain Knights valiantly started a pushing? competition against the heretics. Instead of using their actual weapons to kill them.
Aside from that, Isidro's voice actor pairs well with his character. The scene where he was falling made me smile & chuckle :ganishka: He definitely sounds and portrays the character the way I've always made him sound in my head when reading the manga.

Overall, decent episode, but the animation and their execution could still use improvement.

This episode was okay I guess.

Isidro's VA might be my favorite right now, but that isn't saying much, a lot of the voice acting just feels off to me.

The scene with Farnese beating those knights with her sheathed sword was rather awkward, sort of like Luka spanking Nina for 2 minutes.

Guts' battle with the Goat and Serpico felt somewhat faithful to the manga, even though the animation is still pretty bad. It looked like Serpico was R1 spamming a rapier in Dark Souls at 10 fps.

It was a better episode than 1-3 and 6, but what do we have left, 4 episodes? They're going to cram ~2 volumes into that? Meh.

I logged in to Crunchyroll. I watched it. The end. I just...didn't feel anything. It wasn't the worst episode ever, but it's still just so drab and lifeless that I couldn't even be bothered to care. Though the fact that I'm so apathetic about an episode that had not one but two notable fights in it says enough about its quality.

Other nitpicks...

• The scene of the dungeon fell completely flat on its face. The darkness and the terrible composition of all the various depictions of torture was confusing and made it nigh impossible to see what exactly was going on.
  • Why the hell is Farnese beating the shit out of her subordinates with her sheathed sword? Why the hell did the animators focus so much time on her beating them black and blue when the most she did in the manga was just smack them?
  • Due to the colors and shading used when he got tangled up in the ropes, Isidro looked like he was naked. At least it made the scene funnier than before
  • The small torturer decided that two seconds consisting of Nina saying "Elaine" counted as a sign of reluctance on her part to help her friend. The show's pacing prevails again!

The thing that bothered me in this episode was the pacing, the fight with the pseudo apostle felt a bit weird for me, and the torture chamber scene lost part of it's impact the way it was presented on the anime, in the manga the end of that episode really makes you feel the horror and hopelessness that comes with being accused of being heretic.

But still, the episode for me was enjoyable, let's see how they will animate the battle against Mozgus and his acolytes in their pseudo apostle form.

ok episode, the frame rate seemed to dip below normal a few times during the goat pseudo apsotle fight and during the confrontation between Serpico and Guts, i don't know maybe its just me. Nina getting taken away by the torturer was so rushed, very low effort. some crazy things will go down next, hopefully they don't completely butcher it

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
I've added the poll. I had forgotten there was an episode airing. I'm having a harder time remembering it each week.

Yeah I figured you wouldn't mind if I started it. I had the last Fridays off so I was watching it pretty much at the same time it was out. And knowing you don't like it very much (with very good reasons too) I took the initiative. :guts:

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I've definitely warmed up to the show, now we're at 8 episodes.

Still, 4 episodes left and it still feels incredibly rushed with bizarre pacing.

jackson_hurley

Uriel said:
I've definitely warmed up to the show, now we're at 8 episodes.

Still, 4 episodes left and it still feels incredible rushed with bizarre pacing.

Yeah. From what I noticed with my girlfriend is that some episode are good well done (mostly) and a bunch is just crap. Like they chose some episode only to put "efforts" in them instead of doing efforts on all of them.

Animation aside, the main issues with the series seem to have stemmed from the fact they skipped some rather huge sections and had to make changes to accommodate that. Now that we're mostly back on track we seem to be getting better episodes that are paced out appropriately, and they're even rolling the credits at appropriate times instead of during fight scenes.

Scorpio said:
I can't help but feel like there's a lot of stockholm syndrome going on around here.

Dude that's horrible lol
But to be honest it's because we're all over the initial BS. Or maybe not. Maybe we just want to try to enjoy what little bit of the berserk anime we get for the next 20 years.....

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
I handed out 2 bads and mental 4/10s the last 2 weeks, nothing new to report. This week´s "highlights" were the mangled up execution of Gut´s famous hero shot in the opening minute and the abysmal looking possessed cultists towards the end. I am here though to ask something: Was it just me or was ep. 8´s sound engendering again broken an all levels?
The last few eps. were more pleasant to listen to and the low amount of music throughout this show is just sad... This is someone´s job! The Bleach / Eva composer can make great music but i am getting the feeling that they are only using remixes or unused movie music. These were my original 2 cents. The end is nigh, thankfully.

residentgrigo said:
]Was it just me or was ep. 8´s sound engendering again broken an all levels?
The last few eps. were more pleasant to listen to and the low amount of music throughout this show is just sad... This is someone´s job! .... i am getting the feeling that they are only using remixes or unused movie music. These were my original 2 cents.

Yep, this is my feeling too. I've seen improvements but I've noticed very little original music, and when it happens it's inappropriate as hell most of the time. Episode 4 was best as far as this went in my opinion. A whole lot of heavy metal remixes of the movie songs, and just weird power metal chords that feel like a fourteen year old chose them. If the music and sound had been significantly better, I have a feeling I'd have been more tolerant of this, but it's just such a shitty rushed job at what should be the bare minimum that gets me. I mean, c'mon! Delay the release for a couple weeks if you have to, but don't serve us garbage.

At least with the movies, changes seemed polished and intentional. This just feels like people didn't know what they were doing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Finally watched this, since the new one's about to air.

Nothing much to report, other than the same problems we're become accustomed with: barebones adaptation that doesn't fill the void in-between the manga panels, even thought that's precisely what it should do. The result is jarring (too many cuts, obscure angles), lifeless, and visually confusing to newcomers to the series. They don't dwell long enough on some scenes for the viewer to get what's happening or about to happen in them, while they linger too long, needlessly on others, which makes them awkward (like when enemies are quietly waiting for Farnese to stop talking before the fight can go on).

The fight with Serpico felt a bit off, somehow. The facial expressions I guess, same problem as usual. Also, why did they change the scene where Farnese yells at her men? They made her way more enraged than she is in the manga, and it serves no purpose except to portray her character in a less nuanced way than they should. Regrettable. They also reveal the Beherit Apostle's body when he leads Joachim to Nina, way before the normal reveal. Again, why do that? It just spoils the actual reveal... Pffff. :schierke:

The scene between Nina and Joachim is plain awkward. The freezed frame when they see each other, the limp voice acting, the empty faces... Bleh. Casca's drop and her reflexes are also badly executed. Looks like she's just gently hopping around instead of intuitively softening her fall.

When Nina and Casca are captured and Nina pushes Casca away, she falls on the side like a mannequin too. Nina's internal monologue is also cut in the critical moment when Casca's being taken away, which radically changes her portrayal in that scene. Again, erasing the nuance...

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Aazealh said:
When Nina and Casca are captured and Nina pushes Casca away, she falls on the side like a mannequin too.

Oh man, that took me right out of the scene. It looked like Casca just straight up died. It was so incredibly weird.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
Oh man, that took me right out of the scene. It looked like Casca just straight up died. It was so incredibly weird.

Here's a detailed description of the artistic process that went on in that scene:

3D.object.casca{command=tilt:90degrees.right}

Top Bottom