Hi there.

Just wanted to introduce myself since it seems this forum has been around a long time.

I found Berserk completely by accident as a random anime recommendation from a youtube video. I don't normally watch anime or read manga at all and dislike a lot of anime recommendations i've been given in the past.

I went in pretty skeptical but binged the Berserk '97 series a month ago in just 4 days and couldn't put it down. The hypnotic soundtrack by Susumu and the intriguing dialogue was incredible even if the animation was crude. I then jumped to the manga and marathoned through that as well. Unfortunately, I travel for work to various asian countries where the paper english manga translation is completely unavailable so I had to download it.

After plowing through the entire series up until the most recent I am dying for more. I've always been a big fan of comics in general. I rank Alan Moore and Grant Morrison as my all time favorite writers but Muira is right up there in that pantheon now too.

I've also been working my way through the skullknight podcast when at work and i've already binged through most episodes! Very informative and detailed. Great job guys there's a lot of stuff you guys talk about that I didn't really notice.

I did however realize that Miura based many elements of Berserk off Flesh + Blood the Verhoeven film! I was quite surprised when you guys mentioned that too in your podcast since I thought that was a very obscure film nerd thing that few people would bring up.

Anyhow happy to find this forum. :ubik:

TheClangingSwordsman

Put your glasses on, kid. Nothing will be wrong.
I think the best thing you can do now is to reread the series more carefully. Speed reading a 37 volume long manga means you've probably missed a lot. We're all waiting for the next chapter that will hopefully come out in the next couple of months. :carcus:

Berserk has a lot of depth to it and most characters have a lot more to them than you'd first think so do yourself a favour and read through it again slowly, maybe listen to some of the podcasts on this site and whatnot. Welcome to the family!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!

Given the delays in the series production in recent years, there's no rush to complete everything in such short order. I understand having an appetite like that, but I recommend taking your time reading each volume. Even after having read these volumes for nearly 20 years, to prepare for the re-read podcasts we record, I generally will read through a volume about 2-3x over the course of a week and I always find something new. So as a first-timer, you're in for a treat.

Speaking of podcasts, thanks for the comments. Always encouraging to hear that it helps some people catch the obscure stuff in the series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome! You really should buy the manga, especially if you're a big fan. The translations you've read are terrible and hinder your appreciation and comprehension of the story, plus it's a matter of respect towards the author.

The Wack Swordsman

Put your grasses on.
Greetings!

It was nice reading your introduction!

I joined this site today so I'm new here as well.
Since I read this introduction I guess it'd be appropriate to make one myself.

I have read some stuff on this forum and couldn't help but notice how decent this community is.
(maybe that's because I'm just new here or maybe it's because this site truly is promising)

Glad to be a part of this nonetheless.

Top Bottom