My CNC machined Berserk props and armor

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums but wanted to share all of my CNC work/armor I've been working on lately. I do this for fun in my little spare time, but plan to have my own shop one day! This year I plan to make a full scale aluminum dragonslayer (no matter how impractical and heavy), functional arm crossbow, and other sets of armor for cosplay. Feel free to ask questions about anything! I also have a lot more build pictures if anyone wants to see.

Guts sword (pre-polish) with early golden age hilt. Weighs 16lbs and is solid aluminum. Also made his late golden age hilt!:

BVd9Nc4.jpg

HXx8Drl.jpg

QpQy1Gf.jpg

7kTv19U.jpg

Casca's Heart sword from late golden age, aluminum blade with solid bronze handle.
m31lOka.jpg

HsdOedr.jpg

Judeau's swords and throwing knives, all solid 6061 aluminum.

u5vaq0K.jpg

hTIfs8u.jpg

Guts Dagger:

zyW62b4.jpg

Band of the Hawk necklace:

KTtxgO3.jpg

===============

For the Renaissance festival my Girlfriend helped quickly throw together a young guts outfit to wear and sheath for my sword, wasn't bad for a 1-2 day costume

IPSycO7.jpg

After the ren fest I started on my late golden age armor. I could have machined out each piece individually but due to lack of time and just better efficiency I drew everything out in autocad and sent it to a place that water jet pieces out. All 5052 aluminum, about 1/16" thick. Around 80 pieces total!

mNNUQh0.jpg

qPSs6xD.jpg

Over Christmas I started riveting everything together with 1/4" rivets and real leather straps. I used 3/16" thick felt padding on the back.

V2HMmaB.jpg

The shoulders were a bit of a pain to bend since I had to do everything by hand over my knee (first armor build so I was working with nothing), but turned out pretty nice imo. Also made his cape broach

gb4Lw8B.jpg

wfuDl6Z.jpg

After a lot of hammering the armor was done! My girlfriend (Judeau) and I spent hours and hours hand sewing all the leather for the sheath/belt and made it just in time for the con! I have much much better pictures in the works rn, I'll post when they're finished! Here's a few pics from katsucon.

omfVLYw.jpg

dg0EeTr.jpg

ydnzJoQ.jpg

Late night con Gutsca, someone just copped a pic when we were hanging out. Good shot of the leather work though
exCBh3c.jpg

I have a lot of improvements to make (I cut it so close to the con that I wore the entire costume for the first time when I got there), but overall I was really happy with how it turned out for the first run! Big s/o to my Judeau, she was a massive help with the leather work among other things, I really like how her costume turned out too.

Cyrus Jong said:
Cool stuff. And your girlfriend makes a good Judeau.

By the way, is that King Richard's Faire that you're attending?

I was at the Carolina Renaissance Festival!
Most of the stuff I go to is East coast since I live in NC

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome.

Very nice work! CNC'd items kind of lack the charm of forged ones, but all of those pieces (and cosplays) are great!

Aazealh said:
Hello and welcome.

Very nice work! CNC'd items kind of lack the charm of forged ones, but all of those pieces (and cosplays) are great!

Thanks! As a CNC machinist I'm biased and prefer cnc work over forged, but I appreciate all forms of metal work!
The professional pics are back from the shoot, check it!

yXa34mD.jpg

CKXb71e.jpg

vxEXqLj.jpg

vrFotCH.jpg

FFb548s.jpg

e6CSQuQ.jpg

r6ggsZh.jpg

jp8TEw9.jpg

yT1FbJu.jpg

Photography by: Matthew Sperzel Photography

Besides a few minor issues with the costume ( I literally threw the entire costume on for the first time 10 minutes before the shoot), I was really pleased with how everything turned out!

Dope said:
Amazing machining work, what are you using for y our CNC setup? Any pics?

Dope

Its a HAAS VF2 CNC mill, I have a few pics of when I was machining out Guts sword :

xFjMTEC.jpg

rlYvqda.jpg

M56iLZJ.jpg

muoyzrz.jpg

qA9u6To.jpg

x14c4K0.jpg

The sword was so long I had to make it in 3 sections and stick it out side door of the mill, entertaining to watch lmao

I dig your props btw!! Always super cool to meet another metal prop maker

biodude said:
Its a HAAS VF2 CNC mill, I have a few pics of when I was machining out Guts sword :

xFjMTEC.jpg

rlYvqda.jpg

M56iLZJ.jpg

muoyzrz.jpg

qA9u6To.jpg

x14c4K0.jpg

The sword was so long I had to make it in 3 sections and stick it out side door of the mill, entertaining to watch lmao

I dig your props btw!! Always super cool to meet another metal prop maker

Wow nice setup, I'm more than a little jealous. And thank you for the kind words :)

Dope

Modeled out the sword for my sneaky Guts cosplay, its around 78"long and should be around half as heavy as my first sword (so around 8-9lbs) finished. It'll be made from 6061 aluminum,
I'll probably get around to cnc machining it out in the next few months. I still have a few modifications to make to the model but its pretty much finished!

xfmArAO.png

UoeJLua.png

8Jr2dmi.jpg

3qfVOko.jpg

My girlfriend made this awesome hand-sewn cow leather hat for the costume!
ApsRW0L.jpg

I'm planning on making a full-scale all metal dragonslayer soon too, here's a little WIP teaser for that:

1erIKf4.png

Y5jdjkM.png

Top Bottom