Volume 39 release

Griffith said:
I must be the only one that didn't like the cover at first (Guts looks kinda awkward). Now, Volume 37; there's a cover you can set your watch to. It's growing on me though, mainly because of the lighting and verdancy (thanks, Grail! =). At least there isn't smoke coming out of Guts' ears for once.

Agreed. Volume 38 would've been a great opportunity to put Silat on the cover. And he's featured more prominently in there than he was in volume 9, the first (and so far last) time he was on a tankobon cover illustration.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Johnny Apples said:
Volume 38 would've been a great opportunity to put Silat on the cover. And he's featured more prominently in there than he was in volume 9, the first (and so far last) time he was on a tankobon cover illustration.

Not if you broaden your horizons, or perhaps definitions:

berserk-1591588.jpg

Griffith said:
Not if you broaden your horizons, or perhaps definitions:

berserk-1591588.jpg

Well, I'll be... :ubik:
Just replace that 130-man slayer big guy to the Guts' right with Rickert or the Tapasa, and we're golden :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny Apples said:
Just replace that 130-man slayer big guy to the Guts' right with Rickert or the Tapasa, and we're golden :guts:

You remembered his 130-man slayer title, but not his name?!

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Guts doesn't have his white hair on that illustration. Unless it's hidden because of the point of view. He's cured from the stress! :ganishka:

Still is an amazing cover. Can't wait to get it this summer.

Mangetsu said:
Here is a clearer look on the new Volume cover http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/

Thanks for posting. Miura's digital paintings tend to look far better in print, and it's cropped here, but I gotta say this is one of my least favorite covers. I like how whimsical it is and I appreciate something different, but the execution looks kinda weird to me.

The creatures in the foreground look sorta flat like cardboard cutouts, and the detailed trees in the background and white light beams contribute with making it look a little too busy in my opinion. There's something weird about the tonal composition too, I can't exactly put my finger on what (I think the tonal range varies too much from creature to creature). I remember complaining that some of his digital paintings looked like a bunch of disconnected elements glued together, and this is really evident here.

I hope the second novel is about that green guy with red horns far in the back.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I love this cover. I tend to like the more busy looking covers though. I don't think messy is the right word but the covers that are filled corner to corner with tons of shit going on are the one's that I enjoy the most, with lot's of details crammed into it. For example, volume 5, 9, 11, 24, 25 and especially this new one. In fact I love this one even more coming off the last one, 38's cover, which was probably my least favorite of the entire series and the last in a line of covers that weren't really doing it for me, starting after Volume 34 (which might be my absolute favorite :femto:).

Oburi said:
I love this cover. I tend to like the more busy looking covers though. I don't think messy is the right word but the covers that are filled corner to corner with tons of shit going on are the one's that I enjoy the most, with lot's of details crammed into it. For example, volume 5, 9, 11, 24, 25 and especially this new one. In fact I love this one even more coming off the last one, 38's cover, which was probably my least favorite of the entire series and the last in a line of covers that weren't really doing it for me, starting after Volume 34 (which might be my absolute favorite :femto:).

Agreed, I love covers where it's not just guts alone looking towards the reader in a certain pose, i get why they do it but i prefer covers with more stuff going on such as this one.

The colors are beautiful and really bring elfhelm to life.
main.jpg

A

alexenterprises1

After looking at the higher resolution cover for a while, something just doesn't sit right with me about it. Why does Guts not have a white tuft of hair? Surely Miura couldn't have overlooked something as significant as that.

It looks like the double sided poster will only have one new illustration.

Here it is, ill find a better quality version soon
ZNsnP6S.png

The second one is the YA magazine cover for episode 344
ijRhqSF.jpg

I'm disappointed, I know he did illustrations for the anime and the novel but still...no room for another one? maybe he was pressed for time. I was really looking forward to these :judo:

I mentioned this before but i will mention it again since I got a higher quality. Guts has full black hair again. Some said before maybe it's because of low quality and the angle. But here it's clearly Guts has black hair. Do you guys think Guts hair will be cured by in elfhelm in the upcoming episodes?
piIenfS.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Demon Knight said:
Do you guys think Guts hair will be cured by in elfhelm in the upcoming episodes?

No, I don't think so. How would it happen? What would be the point?

Perhaps curing the stress Guts has from Berserker armor and injuries. Along with the hair

But if he really will be cured his eye should be cured as well. But anyway,then why Guts has black hair in the cover anyway then? I dont think Miura ever forgot about it or anything at all. There must be something behind it

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Demon Knight said:
Perhaps curing the stress Guts has from Berserker armor and injuries. Along with the hair

But if he really will be cured his eye should be cured as well. But anyway,then why Guts has black hair in the cover anyway then? I dont think Miura ever forgot about it or anything at all. There must be something behind it

Not necessarily. Miura's not a god after all you know. As much detail oriented he is, he can still make mistakes here and there. It's not impossible that he didn't spot that detail. Or it could totally be volontarily made. Who knows?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rupert Sinclair said:
If anyone is curious, the newest episode is not in the volume.

Wow, so there's only 8 episodes in the volume? Damn, that's not very encouraging...

I think they could have included 351 in there if they wanted to, so it means they're adjusting to the pace they expect in the future... Probably in an attempt to secure regular volume releases?
The only other explanation I can think of is that Miura decided while drawing 351 that he wanted to insert an episode between it and 350, and there just wasn't enough time to do it. But that's much less likely than the first possibility.

Aazealh said:
Wow, so there's only 8 episodes in the volume? Damn, that's not very encouraging...

It seems clear this volume was rushed out. It answers a lot of question and is a shame. Hopefully this is the last time this sort of thing has to happen. Also, there don't seem to be any apparent changes in the episodes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Are there any new romanized names in the little character sheets?

Rupert Sinclair said:
It seems clear this volume was rushed out.

How so? Volumes are simple collections of episodes. They don't need to be prepared many months in advance.

Rupert Sinclair said:
Hopefully this is the last time this sort of thing has to happen.

What sort of thing? Having only 8 episodes? We'll see, but I don't think they took that decision lightly.

A

alexenterprises1

Demon Knight said:
But anyway,then why Guts has black hair in the cover anyway then? I dont think Miura ever forgot about it or anything at all. There must be something behind it

To be fair, Miura has forgotten small details on Guts like this before.
On the last page of episode 342 Guts was missing the scar on his nose. I can only assume that Miura has been working tirelessly to give us this years episodes and has understandably missed this small detail, like he did then.

Top Bottom