Skullknight.net > Site & Forum News

Server caching issues

(1/3) > >>

Aazealh:
Hi everyone,

As some of you must have noticed, the site was down for a couple of days. It occurred following an issue where people were seeing pages showing them logged as other members. What was happening was actually that they were seeing cached pages that had been previously viewed by someone else. The reason this happened is that our hosting provider implemented a feature (without warning, of course) that basically broke all dynamic content on the server. Because it was so sudden it took us a while to switch servers and get things sorted out. Things should be back to normal now and performances should also be better than they used to.

Please report any anomaly you encounter in this thread, although keep in mind some things may be due to the local cache on your browser. We recommend that you empty your browser cache and delete your cookies to be sure there's no problem.

The Beast of Darkness:

--- Quote from: Aazealh on May 01, 2017, 08:42:16 AM ---Hi everyone,

As some of you must have noticed, the site was down for a couple of days. It occurred following an issue where people were seeing pages showing them logged as other members. What was happening was actually that they were seeing cached pages that had been previously viewed by someone else. The reason this happened is that our hosting provider implemented a feature (without warning, of course) that basically broke all dynamic content on the server. Because it was so sudden it took us a while to switch servers and get things sorted out. Things should be back to normal now and performances should also be better than they used to.

Please report any anomaly you encounter in this thread, although keep in mind some things may be due to the local cache on your browser. We recommend that you empty your browser cache and delete your cookies to be sure there's no problem.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I just logged in the other day, the site started to go crazy... then I was logged as you.  :ganishka:

The Berserk avatars are not available anymore in the option.

Aazealh:
Yep, we all starting seeing cached pages meant for other users because the server didn't discriminate. That's why we took the site down for maintenance while we tried to get our host to clean up their mess. Needless to say they were about as unhelpful as possible, which is why things took so long. This hasn't been the best weekend of our lives, let me tell you. But a podcast about episode 349 will still be available later today! :slan:

The Beast of Darkness:

--- Quote from: Aazealh on May 01, 2017, 09:18:25 AM ---Yep, we all starting seeing cached pages meant for other users because the server didn't discriminate. That's why we took the site down for maintenance while we tried to get our host to clean up their mess. Needless to say they were about as unhelpful as possible, which is why things took so long. This hasn't been the best weekend of our lives, let me tell you. But a podcast about episode 349 will still be available later today! :slan:

--- End quote ---

Great... yes, I imagine that it must have been a pain in the ass to fix all that. But at least now it's done.  :guts:

Walter:
SKnet is in its 17th year, but this was a record for server downtime. Aaz and I worked since Friday evening on this, and it was only in the wee hours of Monday that we had the site up and running.

Like Aaz said, the problem happened out of nowhere, and the solution was not immediately evident. Our old host did not help support us with the problem until after it was too late. Before even identifying the problem, tech support wanted to charge money for a package to check for suspected malware (there was none). They wouldn't budge until I asked some specific questions (i.e. I had done enough research to know the magic words). Tech support ended a call with me calling me "chief" sarcastically, and at one point, they mistook me for another client and were giving me information on how I could submit a death certificate in order to take control of my site. With the exception of 1 person (out of 6 that I spoke with), customer service with Bluehost has been a joke. I can't recommend them.

On the bright side, in the midst of all that, we successfully took time off to record a podcast! And I think not having the forum up for 2 days made us more excited than normal to talk about Berserk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version