Episode 350

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Menosgade said:
I don't think you fully understood the context of my comment. Jackson_hurley made a difference between SK appearing for a relevant, such as giving a message, purpose or for "visiting". "visit only appearance" as he said. My point is that it'd actually involve things you've mentioned, not simply visiting, as I did point out there's plenty of important stuff happening and didnt actually imply he "has nothing to say".

Then I apologize for misunderstanding, but you ended your post implying that the only things of significance to discuss would be: "related to their trip back to mainland, or even a possible danger going towards the island." When in truth, there's quite a bit for he and Guts to catch up on.

But as you did allude to, SK's appearances are rarely to discuss past events. Usually he foretells events imminent in the short or long-term. But given the special scenario of all that has transpired since they last spoke -- AND their presence in Elfhelm -- there's truly an abundance of topics on the table. Not that I expect to get SK's thoughts on everything, but the sheer volume of things to review has reached critical mass.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
And my question was more about if he'd be the one to bring some kind of news to make them leave (other than the time factor) or if an event would happen while he was there (if he gets there at all, which I also think is likely to happen).

I don't think he'd just pop up and say hi for this only reason.

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Walter said:
Then I apologize for misunderstanding

So do I, as I myself misunderstood Jackson.

Walter said:
But as you did allude to, SK's appearances are rarely to discuss past events. Usually he foretells events imminent in the short or long-term. But given the special scenario of all that has transpired since they last spoke -- AND their presence in Elfhelm -- there's truly an abundance of topics on the table. Not that I expect to get SK's thoughts on everything, but the sheer volume of things to review has reached critical mass.

That's true, all things considered it seems a pretty good choice for him to make a visit to Elfheim. There's plenty of information the party needs to be updated about. We could also possibly get a better understanding of SK's story -- if it's envolved with the elves and the Elf Queen -- and how he has become what he is? Would be the perfect moment. :badbone: :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Menosgade said:
That's true, all things considered it seems a pretty good choice for him to make a visit to Elfhelm. There's plenty of information the party needs to be updated about. We could also possibly get a better understanding of SK's story -- if it's envolved with the elves and the Elf Queen -- and how he has become what he is? Would be the perfect moment. :badbone: :carcus:

Yup, precisely what I was alluding to. The re-emergence of his former capital city and Guts meeting with the Elf Queen, likely one of his allies, and the being who [may have] helped transform his existence to what he is now. The pieces are in place for a real doozie of a story, if Miura thinks the time is ripe.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Call me cynical but at this point (after dealing with it for 15 years basically) I don't think these people are really capable of appreciating the story.

Not conciously, yet despite their protests they care for some reason. *shrug*

Aazealh said:
More importantly, the story would have been over 20 years ago!

Maybe that's the point! :ganishka: I appreciate the impatience though because they wont be complaining for too long. But yeah, if they had their way it would have been over long ago, and nobody would much care, because it would have been a dumbed down story with simplistic sensibilities and no resonance, but imagine how many more monsters Miura could draw cover to cover if he didn't waste time on Farnese!

I'm actually getting worried it'll be over too soon now that we know Miura isn't bluffing with this Casca thing. Guts has berserk armor, Griffith has his kingdom, Casca's getting her mind back... there's not a lot left on the major to-do list but to tie it all up the loose ends and put those three (or more depending on how you count Griff =) in the same room together.

Menosgade said:
We could also possibly get a better understanding of SK's story -- if it's envolved with the elves and the Elf Queen -- and how he has become what he is? Would be the perfect moment. :badbone: :carcus:
Walter said:
The pieces are in place for a real doozie of a story, if Miura thinks the time is ripe.

Too bad Skully won't have time to talk when Griffith's army lays siege to the island and he and Guts have to tag-team Zodd and Grunbeld (a rematch just in time for the tie-in novel!! =). Anyway, you guys really think we're getting Casca back AND Skully's origin consecutively? Ambitious expectations, though it is a question mark we've had penciled on our Elfhelm calendars for years. I'm hopeful but not holding my breath; Skully makes Guts look downright chatty about himself and would kind of be stepping on Casca's big moment unless we've got quite a lot more time to spend in Elfhelm once the current mission is accomplished.

:SK: "Now that the branded girl is present, I can tell you how this all bega..."

:guts: "Hey, Old Man, shut up for once; we're trying to reconnect here!" *she wants what I want you killjoy*
:???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I'm actually getting worried it'll be over too soon now that we know Miura isn't bluffing with this Casca thing. Guts has berserk armor, Griffith has his kingdom, Casca's getting her mind back... there's not a lot left on the major to-do list but to tie it all up the loose ends and put those three (or more depending on how you count Griff =) in the same room together.

Yep. I've been saying so for years: getting to Elfhelm and finally having Casca regain her mind is the biggest turning point of the series. We're reaching the mountain's summit and preparing for a frenetic descent towards the end of the story. Up until now, Miura has mostly been opening new "threads", by which I mean he has been expanding the story with new elements. Some threads were tied, but not too many. But soon we will switch gears and he will start closing the story down and tying all those threads. Some new elements may still be introduced, but comparatively less, and with a shorter lifespan. Meanwhile we will be getting closure for more and more things. Major apostles will die, major mysteries will be revealed, major developments will take place... All focusing towards a single point: the ending.

For the long-time fan, this moment should actually be bittersweet. It is the end of an era of endless possibilities where it felt like Berserk could go in any direction, seemingly forever. And while it won't be happening too quickly, given the current publishing schedule, it might be faster than we expect. Whether Miura will take the time to show us the intricacies of Fantasia and to have the group undergo a bunch of adventures on the way to Falconia is strictly up to him. It could take twenty volumes for the group to reach Griffith, or ten volumes, or five. Because we're at such a crucial point in the story, there's just no way to know.

Aazealh said:
Yep. I've been saying so for years: getting to Elfhelm and finally having Casca regain her mind is the biggest turning point of the series. We're reaching the mountain's summit and preparing for a frenetic descent towards the end of the story. Up until now, Miura has mostly been opening new "threads", by which I mean he has been expanding the story with new elements. Some threads were tied, but not too many. But soon we will switch gears and he will start closing the story down and tying all those threads. Some new elements may still be introduced, but comparatively less, and with a shorter lifespan. Meanwhile we will be getting closure for more and more things. Major apostles will die, major mysteries will be revealed, major developments will take place... All focusing towards a single point: the ending.

For the long-time fan, this moment should actually be bittersweet.

I'll take what you quoted earlier this month.

Quote from: Miura
"Lord Marksman and Vanadis" and "The Ambition of Oda Nobuna". I've enjoyed reading them bit by bit during my meals. Now I've reached the final volume of the light novels. Such an empty feeling. (´д`)

That sum up very well how we will feel when it will ends.

I finally had the time/energy to really sit down and give this episode the attention it so richly deserves. Thanks so much for providing the translation, puella and Aazealh! I really like how Miura is handling Casca’s restoration, bringing her and her history back to the forefront in a very vivid and cool way. I love that we’re able to know more specifically how Casca was feeling in some of those past moments, too.

I think that Farnese experiencing Casca’s memories like this is a great way to bring her to acceptance with Guts and Casca’s relationship. She witnesses their history together unfold and even feels Casca’s emotions. It was encouraging to me when at the end of the episode Farnese seems willing for the restored Casca and Guts to be together again. I really think she has a lot of love for Casca going into this and even more now that she knows her so much better. I truly think she wants what’s best for Casca, even though that means Farnese has to give up her own romantic ambitions about Guts. Don’t worry, Farnese! Roderick will be there for you! :ganishka: It warms my heart to see how far Farnese has come; from such a broken and abusive person who would burn a pet to death for perceived lack of sufficient affection towards her, to this.

I like the Guts dog a lot! I like his reactions to things, like the moment on the page before the last one where Schierke is encouraging them to be strong moving forward and he seems to be saying “Yes” with determination along with Farnese. It’s interesting how the Casca sprite fights the dog for a bit this time before running away near the beginning of the episode. I wonder if this could mean that while she is still afraid of it, she is at least a little less afraid/intimidated by it. Seems like it might be a good thing. And then of course her speaking and saying she wants to meet Guts was huge! I loved this episode.

Griffith said:
Not conciously, yet despite their protests they care for some reason. *shrug*

Like you said , there are still a ton of plot threads yet to be resolved.

-The God Hands goal, or their wherabouts
-The role "God" plays in the Berserk universe
- Griffith's coronation and overall goal
- :SK: origin and the God Hand's history
- Guts' beherit
- The moonlight boy
- Rickert/Daiba/Bakiraka shenanigans
- The role the time disparity will play in the overall story
- Guts and the beast of darkness
- the individual arcs of each supporting character
- Theresa's final battle with Guts

Miura has plenty on his plate to keep him slaving for a few more decades.

I still think Guts and Casca won't be a couple again.. Small Casca saying she wants to see someone without specifying who and the girls assuming she means Guts tells me that it won't be him (also because she fears doggo Guts). The possibly of Casca regaining her sanity was immediately followed by foreshadowing of a conflict of interest between her and Guts. I think he was preparing Guts for rejection.

I feel like such a pessimistic jerk lol.

Griffith

MrFlibble said:

- Guts' beherit
- The moonlight boy

Well, I don't think it'll be over quick either, but at this rate a lot of that stuff can happen quickly in the course of the final act rather than requiring entire story chapters or arcs dedicated to them. To put it another way, the eleven revelations you list could be covered in eleven episodes, or less considering how many cross over. I almost feel like travel, set up, and other logistics would take up most of the time.

Sareth said:
I still think Guts and Casca won't be a couple again.. Small Casca saying she wants to see someone without specifying who and the girls assuming she means Guts tells me that it won't be him (also because she fears doggo Guts).

I feel guilty for even humoring this notion at first because I think in the context of the full episode and translation it's unequivocally Guts. The trip down memory lane is fixated on Guts and doesn't suggest the child, and remember that Guts Dog is still Casca's protector in her own mind, not an external visitor or interloper. Most of all, the characters directly identify him as the one in the context of the dreamscape and memories, and while Miura surprises us all the time, it's not typically through misdirection. What you see is what you get.

Sareth said:
The possibly of Casca regaining her sanity was immediately followed by foreshadowing of a conflict of interest between her and Guts. I think he was preparing Guts for rejection.

Now this is a different story, and it's certainly foreboding or Guts wouldn't still be thinking/Miura reminding us about it. I'm hoping it simply means a naturally difficult readjustment period rather than something tragically poignant for the big guy. Fortunately, Casca's memories so far suggest the former, we'll see if memories to come change that, but so far the only acknowledgement of her post-eclipse life is Guts as guard dog.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sareth said:
I still think Guts and Casca won't be a couple again.. Small Casca saying she wants to see someone without specifying who and the girls assuming she means Guts tells me that it won't be him (also because she fears doggo Guts). The possibly of Casca regaining her sanity was immediately followed by foreshadowing of a conflict of interest between her and Guts. I think he was preparing Guts for rejection.

Just because the sprite apparently wants to see Guts doesn't mean there won't be conflict between he and Casca on the back end of this restoration process. Since the beginning, the sprite has represented an incomplete aspect of Casca's mind. And in this episode, we saw that the sprite has been growing along with the memories they recover, but the most tragic and damaging of memories is yet to come.

MrFlibble said:

- Guts' beherit
- The moonlight boy

Also, there is always new challenges and developments stepping on to the main stage. The whole world has changed since Femto has merged the astral layers. The surmounting developments both positive and negative that the new fantasy world present offers a story told in every town, every city, every street, every meadow. Miura could literally do another manga based in the same world a tell a infinite amount of stories that doesn't involve the main cast.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sareth said:
Small Casca saying she wants to see someone without specifying who and the girls assuming she means Guts tells me that it won't be him

It's Guts.

Death May Die said:
Miura could literally do another manga based in the same world a tell a infinite amount of stories that doesn't involve the main cast.

You're missing the point.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:

For the long-time fan, this moment should actually be bittersweet. It is the end of an era of endless possibilities where it felt like Berserk could go in any direction, seemingly forever. And while it won't be happening too quickly, given the current publishing schedule, it might be faster than we expect. Whether Miura will take the time to show us the intricacies of Fantasia and to have the group undergo a bunch of adventures on the way to Falconia is strictly up to him. It could take twenty volumes for the group to reach Griffith, or ten volumes, or five. Because we're at such a crucial point in the story, there's just no way to know.
Griffith said:
Well, I don't think it'll be over quick either, but at this rate a lot of that stuff can happen quickly in the course of the final act rather than requiring entire story chapters or arcs dedicated to them. To put it another way, the eleven revelations you list could be covered in eleven episodes, or less considering how many cross over. I almost feel like travel, set up, and other logistics would take up most of the time.

I certainly feel that bittersweet feeling about the recent events after arriving on the island. When the ball gets rolling in Berserk, it really gets rolling. I'll always remember at the climax of the Millennium Falcon Arc when Ganishzilla was stomping around, there was a massive battle with the army of apostles and it didn't seem like things could get any crazier. Then we got the preview for the next episode and it was the legendary two page spread of Skullknight with his Beherit sword striking at Femto with Zodd in the background. It blew everyone's mind to the point where we were checking the legitimacy to make sure it wasn't some insane fake. So yea, things can happen fast and events can overlap to the point where we get a lot of information in a very short span of time. The one good thing is that these major events, like at the end of an arc, tend to span several volumes themselves just due to the amount of detail. The eclipse, or the entire final confrontation between Griffiths forces and Ganishka's are drawn out in excruciating detail (excruciating for the artists, I'd imagine, a treat for us). So I guess no matter which way you look at it, I'd say we still have plenty more years and many more volumes of Berserk to look forward too. It's just that it could be covering shorter periods of time as the events get bigger and more important.

Amazing episode. I guess climbing the mountain of corpses will be a pretty hard experience to live for the two girls... Before the final dawn :femto:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Miura's comment for this episode: "The elves in this volume should be seen with a loupe. " (a magnifying glass)

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Aazealh said:
Miura's comment for this episode: "The elves in this volume should be seen with a loupe. " (a magnifying glass)

And this, gentlemen, is how you show self-esteem and confidence.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:

Heheh, yeah, I hadn't considered it, but Miura traditionally draws on that big ass paper size — then the images get shrunk down a bit for YA, and then again for volumes. Some of those little guys are indeed going to be tough to see.

Griffith

Oburi said:
I'll always remember at the climax of the Millennium Falcon Arc when Ganishzilla was stomping around, there was a massive battle with the army of apostles and it didn't seem like things could get any crazier. Then we got the preview for the next episode and it was the legendary two page spread of Skullknight with his Beherit sword striking at Femto with Zodd in the background. It blew everyone's mind to the point where we were checking the legitimacy to make sure it wasn't some insane fake.

Seeing that out of context was a top ten Berserk fan moment for me. It was like glimpsing the end of the world... and turned out it kinda was! :ganishka:

Oburi said:
major events, like at the end of an arc, tend to span several volumes themselves just due to the amount of detail. The eclipse, or the entire final confrontation between Griffiths forces and Ganishka's are drawn out in excruciating detail (excruciating for the artists, I'd imagine, a treat for us). So I guess no matter which way you look at it, I'd say we still have plenty more years and many more volumes of Berserk to look forward too. It's just that it could be covering shorter periods of time as the events get bigger and more important.

It's like when the time to expand ends it's time to contract, but that doesn't mean less content, just more dense focus.

Blade

Master of the Simulacrum
People talking like it's the end already.

I say regardless of the outcome it's gonna be good.

There may even be a Time-skip or 2nd Gen featuring an older Isidro/Shierke, like Hokuto no Ken's second season.

i was always asking myself when farnese , serpico and scheirke know what guts have been through and what is his background story so they can see how he struggled and survived

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Posting here 'cause I don't know if it's right to open a Topic just for this:

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/871634777073262596?s=04

A Manga Award for debut Manga, Miura will be present, and will give a "lecture" [powered by Google Translate]

Hoping for a fresh photo.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
RaffoBaffo said:
Posting here 'cause I don't know if it's right to open a Topic just for this:

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/871634777073262596?s=04

A Manga Award for debut Manga, Miura will be present, and will give a "lecture" [powered by Google Translate]

Hoping for a fresh photo.

Cool, I hope we get a video or at least a summary of what he conveys.

Top Bottom