Twin Peaks Returns

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
It made me very aggravated. I'm currently watching "Best of Steve Brule" compilations to try to wind down.

Sometimes Lynch can make a painfully long scene pay off, like when Gordon took a drag off of Diane's cigarette. But CHRIST, there were a number of scenes in this episode where I felt like we were intentionally being dragged across 10-12 minute scenes with no real revelation, all just to damage us. What did we do wrong? :judo:

I almost thought that Gordon's girl was a "Lil" situation like in Fire Walk With Me. But no, doesn't appear to be the case at all.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
So should I skip this episode of the new season when I get to it and just go straight to the next!?

Just kidding, but on that note my retro Twin Peaks update: We are up to episode 17 of season 2 and have already watched Firewalk with Me to break things up a bit (we also had a weekend guest Sunday that had seen the series but not the film). I figured out the secret to really enjoying the season 2 grind, which is to drink beer continously throughout (to keep a good even buzz on ala Magnum). Since that worked out rather wonderfully, we're now a stone's throw away from season 3 and whatever changes and secrets it holds. I imagine it won't feel quite the same as watching it years ago and truly "returning" to Twin Peaks after such a time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
So should I skip this episode of the new season when I get to it and just go straight to the next!?

:ganishka: ... You probably shouldn't even be in this thread :azan:

We are up to episode 17 of season 2 and have already watched Firewalk with Me to break things up a bit (we also had a weekend guest Sunday that had seen the series but not the film). I figured out the secret to really enjoying the season 2 grind, which is to drink beer continously throughout (to keep a good even buzz on ala Magnum).

That's good to hear. Season 2 definitely benefits from a low-stakes entry point. I don't know how anyone could get through the James-Donna-Maddy stuff with a completely sober watching experience. You might have watched Fire Walk With Me a bit too early though, since it relates to the finale.

Since that worked out rather wonderfully, we're now a stone's throw away from season 3 and whatever changes and secrets it holds. I imagine it won't feel quite the same as watching it years ago and truly "returning" to Twin Peaks after such a time.

Yep. Dale Cooper's been in our heads for decades, so it's going to be a bit different for you, I think.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
This latest episode was a real disappointment, particularly
Audrey's
reveal. Billy Zane hasn't aged well at all!! :troll:

All joking aside, I'm not sure what Lynch and Frost were hoping for us to get out of this episode. I'm actually starting to miss the girl with the creepy rash.

Griffith

Walter said:
:ganishka: ... You probably shouldn't even be in this thread :azan:

I have to be careful what I read or don't around here! I actually think I got spoilered on a big season 3 reveal before I even started watching, that paradoxically may have been the major catalyst for my watching, but I won't know for sure until I get there (it's already looking plausible though).

Walter said:
That's good to hear. Season 2 definitely benefits from a low-stakes entry point. I don't know how anyone could get through the James-Donna-Maddy stuff with a completely sober watching experience.

How about the song they "play" together? Good lord, the screen should have just flashed "FUCK YOU!" in bright red letters fast enough to cause an epileptic seizure.

Walter said:
You might have watched Fire Walk With Me a bit too early though, since it relates to the finale.

That danger occurred to me, but I actually had an interested guest and didn't want to unduly subject them to extra James/Donna, so I thought what the hell I probably won't even know what I'm (not) missing. Though, I think I caught a few things, in particular about the status of Agent Cooper and the aforementioned "spoiler," but then I could just be imagining a fanfic theory in my head that won't be close to anything in season 3.

Walter said:
Yep. Dale Cooper's been in our heads for decades, so it's going to be a bit different for you, I think.

We shall see, looking forward to it. I should also mention we started watching the movie and season 2 episodes this weekend with a big box of Randy's Donuts and some fine black coffee before moving on to alcohol later in the day.

Grail said:
Billy Zane hasn't aged well at all!! :troll:

Ah, see, now I know Billy Zane is back! SPOILED... or not (and it was difficult to insert this without reading the tagged part, but I did it =). It's hard not to google everyone that is or isn't back.

Even a search for a "Cooper thumbs up" may have yielded a spoiler for this season. :ganishka:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
You had one job Griff. After all this talk of season 2 and how to go about it. Watching the movie (what did you think of it?) before the finale was the only mistake you could make. Good luck powering through all the remaining "questionable" episodes with no payoff.

200.gif

Oh, and thanks for keeping my karma outside of the black lodge.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
You had one job Griff. After all this talk of season 2 and how to go about it. Watching the movie (what did you think of it?) before the finale was the only mistake you could make.

twinpeaksoldman.jpg
<-me

Remember, I somehow managed to watch episodes 2 and 3 of the series before the feature length premiere that sets it all up! Compared to that Fire Walk With Me before finishing season 2 was nothing, and to be clear it was after I knew Laura Palmer's killer, so nothing too jarring in the movie, that wouldn't have been anyway, except a suspicion I already had more or less confirmed.

NightCrawler said:
Good luck powering through all the remaining "questionable" episodes with no payoff.

Done. And another reason I can't say I regret the movie decision is it would have felt like a detour after the season 2 finale (I think I actually watched it at a pretty perfect time, shortly after the big reveal/resolution). Instead, I got to jump right to 25 years later and into season 3, which is... a tonal shift. Even from the leaner, meaner movie, which is admittedly probably a good transition from the original series to The Return: R Rated Twin Peaks. Anyway, I'm glad I watched it all because even though some of it was pretty rough I realized even you experts can't tell me what's truly critical or not because you haven't seen half the new series. For all we know the finale hinges on what happened with Leo and the tarantulas! =)

NightCrawler said:
Oh, and thanks for keeping my karma outside of the black lodge.

twinpeakscoopunsure.jpg

I've watched part 12 yesterday. Well...
That scene with Gordon and the french woman made me have the same face as Albert during the whole scene... like we are only 6 parts before the ending and they are able to add this kind of boring scene (but some are going to call this "genius" because it's Lynch)... That, and I want to see Jacoby getting skull-crushed by the woodsmen while he's broadcasting (Like Sarah Palmer said: "And men are coming...), I can't stand his scenes anymore.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The Beast of Darkness said:
I've watched part 12 yesterday. Well...
That scene with Gordon and the french woman made me have the same face as Albert during the whole scene... like we are only 6 parts before the ending and they are able to add this kind of boring scene
I actually ended up skipping parts of that episode, which is unheard of. I even watched the full sweeping scene and laughed at the end of it. Long scenes are fine with me, but some of these recent ones were ridiculous. Just long, meaningless pauses between dialogue. The Gordon-Albert one was particularly bad, because it's just a reprisal of most of their conversations, offering nothing new other than a few wasted minutes of everyone's lives.
And their conclusion in that talk regarding Diane didn't move the needle anywhere. Basically wait and see, like it's always been.

(but some are going to call this "genius" because it's Lynch)...

The community seems pretty split on it, honestly. Based on the feedback, I'd say a good half hated it, and the others are confusedly defending it. Then there are the crazies. I came across one guy saying it was his second favorite episode of the season. :magni: The defense that I've read include things like long scenes lending atmosphere, and helping us understand characters better. Mmmmmhm. :schierke: In truth, I felt like the sweeping scene, this was an authoritative jab at the audience by Lynch, letting them know that it's his story, his characters, and he can tell it how he wants, even if it's not always pleasant. He's making it for him, and if you happen to be along for the ride, so much the better.

That, and I want to see Jacoby getting skull-crushed by the woodsmen while he's broadcasting (Like Sarah Palmer said: "And men are coming...), I can't stand his scenes anymore.

And yeah, his recent rant felt like it was pushed from hilarious/entertaining to "oh boy, he's still going huh?"

One (exceedingly) bad episode doesn't make much of a dent in my overall great experience of this season. It just made me sad that they're idling away the final few hours of this show.

It had some scenes that felt like pure repetition, and the super long gag with the french woman didn't work for me either, but it also had some of the best scenes so far in my opinion. Sarah and Hawk's scene, where she says "it's a goddamn bad story" was so good (that ceiling fan spinning, and "something in the kitchen..."), I liked Audrey's scene, and I think Charlie might be the best new character. Ben Horne's scene was pretty great too. It had a lot of good stuff, it just kinda felt like a disconnected Missing Pieces sort of thing.

Grail said:
I'm actually starting to miss the girl with the creepy rash.

Not sure if you're aware but that's Sky Ferreira, and she's got a FWWM-inspired song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2Q2BkqGfw

Griffith

7 into season 3 and here are some impressions:

I think I'm enjoying the new world of Twin Peaks, which largely isn't in Twin Peaks at all, more than the callbacks to the some of the old characters (with the exception of Doc Jacoby's little pseudo-political infomercial =) that don't seem to really have a place in this story and setting (but we'll see).

I feel like little has happened really, yet almost every moment of the show is captivating. I find myself probably enjoying and relating a bit too much to the new out of it Cooper. =) Yet no matter how much his return is delayed I'm enjoying watching the journey and process (him reconnecting with coffee was a big deal). Typically, I would hate this kind of arbitrary deferment as it were, so I have to acknowledge that with my praise, and maybe I wouldn't like it so much if I weren't able to binge these at my leisure, but it's been fine and I'm enjoying all the new stuff (Naomi Watts and the rest of the newcomers, save Michael Cera, sorry Cera, have all been enjoyable) and the questions being raised (even if I suspect answers will arrive never).

On that note, I also enjoy Evil Cooper of course, who reminds me of Bruce Campbell, and look forward to getting to the bottom of him and all the bad things he's done or plans to do, and the fact that he's not just Bob but something uniquely Cooperish himself, though an evil doppelganger.

The biggest bummers of the show are probably the compromises that had to be made, the absence of Bob (I heard the actor died), but the biggest is the lack of Harry S. Truman, who after Coop, and with him, is probably the character I was most looking forward to seeing again (he was nothing if not agreeable after all), and as much as I like Robert Forster I can't say I really agree with the thankless way they've handled the situation by de facto recasting but technically not. I'd rather Harry just be dead, Hawk be Chief, and Forster someone else altogether but we'll see how it plays out or pays off.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
7 into season 3 and here are some impressions:

Wow, you really cruised through it! What'd you think of the Season 2 finale...?

I feel like little has happened really, yet almost every moment of the show is captivating. I find myself probably enjoying and relating a bit too much to the new out of it Cooper. =) Yet no matter how much his return is delayed I'm enjoying watching the journey and process (him reconnecting with coffee was a big deal). Typically, I would hate this kind of arbitrary deferment as it were, so I have to acknowledge that with my praise, and maybe I wouldn't like it so much if I weren't able to binge these at my leisure,

Well, I've been watching since it aired, and I've had no real problems with the deferment of the inevitable return of Cooper. Personally I'm loving Dougie. On top of the overall comedy with his scenes, there's quite a bit of Cooper in his reactions to things, too. And seeing those glimpses of him THROUGH Dougie is great. Crying at the realization that he has a son, even through his opaque perceptions, was a powerful moment. The scene of him with the statue of the police officer (at the end of episode 5), made me think he was reminded of his friend Harry. And it's indeed sad that odds are very low that we'll get the REAL Harry Truman in this series. As you said, probably the biggest bummer of the entire endeavor. He wasn't a crucial character for the story, but he's part of the heart of Twin Peaks.

as much as I like Robert Forster I can't say I really agree with the thankless way they've handled the situation by de facto recasting but technically not. I'd rather Harry just be dead, Hawk be Chief, and Forster someone else altogether but we'll see how it plays out or pays off.

It's pretty gross to me how they've replaced him but not replaced him. The book that somewhat bridges the Season 2-3 gap wrote Frank into the story as if he were there all along. Mmhm. :azan:

Griffith

Walter said:
Wow, you really cruised through it! What'd you think of the Season 2 finale...?

I was surprised how focused and ultimately short it was, actually. I was expecting kind of an extended cleanup of the mess that is the latter half of season 2 and then an ending to redeem it, but that was cast off judiciously and it pretty much was just the redeeming black lodge horror and weirdness, so that was cool! What an awful cliffhanger on which to go on a 25 year hiatus though (of course for me it was no wait at all, they were just 25 years older in the next episode). :ganishka:

Of course, I was also impressed by the "see you in 25 years" thing. Considering the brief production turmoil that went into this specific revival they just made it. =)

Walter said:
Well, I've been watching since it aired, and I've had no real problems with the deferment of the inevitable return of Cooper. Personally I'm loving Dougie. On top of the overall comedy with his scenes, there's quite a bit of Cooper in his reactions to things, too. And seeing those glimpses of him THROUGH Dougie is great. Crying at the realization that he has a son, even through his opaque perceptions, was a powerful moment.
You make a great point that it's still essentially Cooper, just forced through limited ability to communicate and understand, which actually make for an interesting alternative examination of the core of his character. So, rather than feeling like we're getting cheated here (like if he was just droolin' in a coma half the time, the classic copout) it's like the ultimate Cooper deep dive! I want to see him fully returned of course, but I'm not impatient for this to end either. I've also appreciated the subtle progress being made, there's been a real gradation from his first moments to where he is at the end of seven. He's sort of becoming a new man, so I wonder if that will stay and he'll become a new sort of Coop or will it be a bit sad if he fully snaps out of it and "Dougie" is simply no more. BTW, what the hell was/is Dougie!? I'm assuming the doppelganger used knowledge from Jeffries (probably no Bowie either :judo:) and Briggs, and perhaps even his body, to create another doppleganger to cheat the system with the ring, whatever the system is, but... "What the hell!?"

Walter said:
The scene of him with the statue of the police officer (at the end of episode 5), made me think he was reminded of his friend Harry. And it's indeed sad that odds are very low that we'll get the REAL Harry Truman in this series. As you said, probably the biggest bummer of the entire endeavor. He wasn't a crucial character for the story, but he's part of the heart of Twin Peaks.

Yeeeeeah... another reason I can wait for Cooper's return; he's not going to reunite with the one person I really care to see him with again and it makes me sad for both. Cooper without Harry is like coffee without the donuts. They couldn't even get him on Skype like the doctor? =) But yeah, I guess I shouldn't complain when some of these returns do make me wonder if perhaps Harry is lucky to remain out of it with dignity intact. Like I was happy to see Duchovny back, that was one I wanted to see, but it's not like they had anything for him to do (yet). Gordon has actually been the most essential returning character to me besides Cooper, and I thought he was pretty disposable originally.

Walter said:
It's pretty gross to me how they've replaced him but not replaced him. The book that somewhat bridges the Season 2-3 gap wrote Frank into the story as if he were there all along. Mmhm. :azan:

Agreed, that's what makes it stink, I'd be disappointed but understanding if they simply couldn't get the actor back and went from there, but pick a principle and go with it ("we're writing around the actors or we're not"), because this is no-man's land. Hell, if not simply writing him off I'd probably prefer if they just recast to this (I mean, they recast Donna in the movie); at least let the characters have their reunion in spirit, if not the actors. Maybe they'll talk on the phone or something, but currently it's a pretty distracting compromise.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I was surprised how focused and ultimately short it was, actually. I was expecting kind of an extended cleanup of the mess that is the latter half of season 2 and then an ending to redeem it, but that was cast off judiciously and it pretty much was just the redeeming black lodge horror and weirdness, so that was cool! What an awful cliffhanger on which to go on a 25 year hiatus though (of course for me it was no wait at all, they were just 25 years older in the next episode). :ganishka:

I didn't think of it like a cliffhanger, as much as a dark ending. Also, I think Fire Walk With Me gave fans a different kind of closure to the series, such that most weren't rabid for a return.

Of course, I was also impressed by the "see you in 25 years" thing. Considering the brief production turmoil that went into this specific revival they just made it. =)

Yep, and you might already know but here are just a few of the hiccups purely on the human capital side of things: Log Lady (Catherine Coulson) died shortly before the premiere, along with Albert (Miguel Ferrer). The Man From Another Place (Michael Anderson) refused to be in it, along with Harry Truman (Michael Ontkean) though his on slightly better terms — he's just done with acting. They only got Doc Hayward back for that weird Skype call because he's co-creator Mark Frost's dad. And it seems that his involvement was only necessary because Ontkean wouldn't come back to give his perspective on Coop after he returned from the Black Lodge. :puck:

I wonder if that will stay and he'll become a new sort of Coop or will it be a bit sad if he fully snaps out of it and "Dougie" is simply no more.

Yep, how they handle that is also a fear of mine. I also prematurely feel bad for Naomi Watts' character. But maybe that'll work out in the end, anyway.

BTW, what the hell was/is Dougie!? I'm assuming the doppelganger used knowledge from Jeffries (probably no Bowie either :judo:) and Briggs, and perhaps even his body, to create another doppleganger to cheat the system with the ring, whatever the system is, but... "What the hell!?"

He vomits up garmonbozia just as he dies, so he's a creature of the Black Lodge. The real question is who "manufactured" him and why. Evil Coop was supposed to die/return to the Lodge when Coop came back into the world, but instead, Dougie was taken into the Lodge and Evil Coop ended up spared. That benefits him, but it doesn't seem to me that Evil Coop knew about Dougie.

Griffith

Walter said:
I didn't think of it like a cliffhanger, as much as a dark ending.

Sure turned out that way, but I assume it would have continued from there had the show not been cancelled? Now, I don't know how much of that was due to Frost & Lynch tiring of the network process, the declining ratings and response, or some combination, but it's more happenstance than the plan, right? Obviously Lynch was still interested in that world since he made the movie.

Walter said:
Also, I think Fire Walk With Me gave fans a different kind of closure to the series, such that most weren't rabid for a return.

Yeah, even not having finished the second season yet I could tell it was supposed provide a bit of a cathartic, full-circle sort of spiritual closure to cap it off. I didn't like the relative lack of Coop, though it was cool to get a focus on and more complete picture of Laura's side of things.

Walter said:
Yep, and you might already know but here are just a few of the hiccups purely on the human capital side of things: Log Lady (Catherine Coulson) died shortly before the premiere, along with Albert (Miguel Ferrer).

Awww, yeah, she did NOT look well, and I didn't think it was just for the show. I heard about poor Miguel.

Walter said:
The Man From Another Place (Michael Anderson) refused to be in it

He's alive and said NO!? My wife and I macabrely assumed the little man was dead before we even fired up the new season. We were conversely, though pleasantly, surprised by the perseverance of the giant since we guessed he might not be around either. We're just pessimistic jerks I guess.

Walter said:
along with Harry Truman (Michael Ontkean) though his on slightly better terms — he's just done with acting.

I've read disputed stories on this (Ontkean perhaps being keen but it falling through), particularly what I just read about Mr. Anderson's accusations against Lynch, which, while he's clearly bitter, sound plausible; Lynch would rather spend money on names like Naomi Watts, Forster, and Laura Dern than Anderson and Ontkean... but it doesn't seem like he wouldn't have money leftover enough for them, unless that's how they felt or he really didn't care, "Take it or leave it." In any case, I like Lynch's response to Anderson and his solution: "[Lynch] did talk about Anderson’s final line in the original series, “When you see me again, it won’t be me.”

“That it’s more true than you think [laughs],” the director told Rolling Stone."

At least they didn't turn poor Harry into an office fern.

Walter said:
They only got Doc Hayward back for that weird Skype call because he's co-creator Mark Frost's dad.

Literally phoning it in! That's somehow makes it worse; they couldn't take a camera to dad's house to film his side of the phone call? I admit it makes for a moment with Forster. =)

Walter said:
Yep, how they handle that is also a fear of mine. I also prematurely feel bad for Naomi Watts' character. But maybe that'll work out in the end, anyway.

Yeah, stick with Naomi and Sonny Jim, Coop! She's a "tough dame," way better than Heather Graham, the series' original talking tree.
Way more plausible his love for them could open the White Lodge than roller girl.

Walter said:
He vomits up garmonbozia just as he dies, so he's a creature of the Black Lodge. The real question is who "manufactured" him and why. Evil Coop was supposed to die/return to the Lodge when Coop came back into the world, but instead, Dougie was taken into the Lodge and Evil Coop ended up spared. That benefits him, but it doesn't seem to me that Evil Coop knew about Dougie.

Someone's been reading the textbook (can you define garmonbozia for the class? =), so I'll just have to copy off your paper.
Could Jeffries be behind it all somehow? If that was him on the phone he wanted Evil Coop back in though. Also, despite his appearances in the lodge, isn't Mike physically still out there (I actually don't remember exactly what became of him)? He did have the ring Dougie was wearing in Fire Walk With Me or vice versa, and I believe the voice on the phone mentioned getting Bob back to the lodge, which makes sense depending on wherever whoever wants him in there is... UGH! I don't know, lots of confusing, seemingly contradictory stuff. It's just easier to assume Evil Coop had a plan to keep himself out, it may have been Dougie, and it worked but just not as he thought (like while driving), but then you're a few more steps down the road than me and may know different already, so I'll take your word for it that Evil Coop is out.

The thing with brilliant art is that some of it is better understood, enjoyed and valued after re-experiencing it some months after the first time. I watched the first two seasons and FWWM about 3 years ago and really liked them. Didn't really rewatch scenes or even think about TP that much until season 3 began. Then I started spending so much time thinking about it, reading theories and rewatching episodes and particular scenes (just hours ago I rewatched s03 e03 and I could appreciate it far better than first time around), and now I genuinely believe it to be some of the best art ever made, with elements and details so profound that are mostly missed in first watching and only become clear by putting more thought and view into it. Now I deeply love the series. The final s02 episode when the Arm appears and Sycamore Trees is being sung leaves me in awe, much more so than in first view.

I just wish that in season 3 there wasn't so much time wasted on crap like Jacobi's shit-digging shovels and boring conspiracy rants.

P.s FWWM missing scenes are a must watch.

Griffith

Updated at bottom.

10 in check in:

So, I have conflicted feelings at this point, first about Evil Coop and his survival (I was both sad to see him go before a confrontation with the real Coop and sad to see him revived because now real Coop is still in danger and his oppontant is that much more formidable =), and I'm having a hard time thinking of a better Dougie theory than Evil Coop somehow making him from himself (maybe as little as a palm would do =); considering he's working with the people trying to kill Dougie, it'd be a pretty big coincidence if he didn't plan it this way (but stranger things have happened). Also, say it ain't so, Diane! I hope she's just so dedicated to Coop that she even helps his Evil Dopplganger but will switch back once he returns (unless she already feels scorned).

My favorite bit of recent business from "Dougie's" world has been his checkup (where they didn't check his head!?), the revelation that he's in much better shape, and Naomi Watts subsequently having her way with him and Coop's pure delight. Better than coffee even, huh!?

Also looking forward to them getting another hit on Coop's prints and DNA and comparing them to Evil Coop, I just hope they can reach him in time (when it looked like EC was dead for a moment, that would have been an elegant switcharoo). Though, speaking of Dougie, I'm now past the halfway mark, and while I appreciate that the arc and focus of the show IS Cooper's journey back (much like finding Laura's killer was the fuel for the first run), I'm still going to feel cheated if we don't get some quality Coop time in the last half of this thing after his return. It better not be in the 11th hour.

Hmmm, I feel like there's something else notable worth mentioning... can't quite put my finger on it... OH YEAH, so Bob was born from a nuclear bomb acid trip that begat a George Romero movie, and Laura Palmer is interdimensional Superman/Jesus and they're destined to faceoff again ala Superman IV! At least that was my understanding of the episode, which I can only otherwise describe as... "What the Hell!?" I mean, there's tons more to say, but I'll save that conversation for when I'm fully caught up.

SuperVegetto said:
I genuinely believe it to be some of the best art ever made, with elements and details so profound that are mostly missed in first watching and only become clear by putting more thought and view into it.
SuperVegetto said:
I just wish that in season 3 there wasn't so much time wasted on crap like Jacobi's shit-digging shovels and boring conspiracy rants.

I'm confused, I thought that WAS the brilliant art! :ganishka:

Seriously, I've only seen a couple of those segments so far, but is it really more egregious than half the shenanigans in season 2? Season 3, while definitely lacking some of the original's charms, is way more focused... well, save for the 3 minute bar sweeping scenes, music videos, and/or 10 minute music visualization origin stories. You know, profoundly brilliant art. =)

SuperVegetto said:
P.s FWWM missing scenes are a must watch.

Damn, I remember this coming out a few years ago but forgot about it until it came up here; I've got more work to do! :puck:

UPDATE:

I'm all caught up, on the show and the thread! Ep 12 was indeed trying save for a couple of quality Sarah scenes, but at least I was prepared so it wasn't that bad. I'm more disappointed by the lack of progress (I knew Walter wasn't just feigning ignorance for my benefit; nothing's happened! =) and the fact time is running out, which I'm sure you're all feeling and therefore had much different expectations going in.
Like I said, if we don't get a decent amount of Cooper quality time I'll be pissed. I'd like to see him take over and turn everything on its head, but it seems more like we're in this for the long haul (we still have Tom Sizemore to deal with, ugh). Though ep 11 was fun, particularly the culminating dinner scene that was some kind of brilliant right through the credits, and the closest we've come to Cooper genuinely sounding like himself again and not merely through repetition, "Damn fine." So close! SNAP OUT OF IT, COOP!

About episode 12 and Lynch's pace in general, I feel like before this episode Lynch had used the season's pace, particularly the lingering, to great effect setting up the audience and coloring our mood and disposition (even, or especially, if it's bad) to receiving something next. I don't think he's punishing us or showing who's boss, there's usually a purpose and a payoff at work, though this is the first time I can recall him using a whole episode to that effect (unless we count episodes 10-16 of season 2 =). Or, this one just sucked/came together poorly. Anyway, if it's the former then episode 13 should hopefully blow our minds instead of making us want to blow chunks.
gutsbarf.gif

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
No time for a proper reply at the moment but:

https://twitter.com/J_Rosenfield/status/893877753774297088

Griffith

Walter said:
No time for a proper reply at the moment but:

https://twitter.com/J_Rosenfield/status/893877753774297088

:ganishka:

BTW, I don't know if this has already been shared, but in my Twin Peaks wiki deep dives (including the alternate "International" pilot where they solve the case in the first episode and Bob dies[!!!]) I found this vintage SNL Twin Peaks sketch with a downright all-star cast from their 90's heyday; even the non-speaking extra is a legend if you recognize him:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7o2ca_twin-peaks-parody-by-saturday-night_fun

Clearly the writers were genuine fans and knew the show intimately even though they got the killer wrong (not the point anyway). It also inadvertently foreshadows Coop's future this season! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So, that ending song. That was David Lynch making fun of James, right? .... Right?

Welcome Griff, to the glory of watching Twin Peaks LIVE! :ganishka:

Anyway, whoo boy... another episode where I'm counting the minutes rather than being engaged in each scene. 15 minutes of arm rasslin, 15 minutes of Tom Sizemore antics. 5 minutes of James' song. Bye bye most of the episode.

Still, some revelations. We know a bit more about the ring's powers. It seems to bind souls to the Lodge. That tracks with what happened with Laura (which also prevented Bob from possessing her). Also, I wonder about Audrey's scenes now, after her thought about not feeling herself. Last we heard from her, she was in a bank explosion... Hmm...

...After tonight's episode I am fully convinced that
all the Audrey Horne scenes are of a still very comatose Audrey living her worse nightmare of being married to a man as controlling as her father. BOB is one slippery dude in evading being caught by The Black Lodge. The looping sound Sarah Palmer's tv made sounds exactly like the record player sound in season 2 preceding BOB's carnage so I figure next week is the 10.1 episode .

Griffith

Walter said:
So, that ending song. That was David Lynch making fun of James, right? .... Right?

I took it as him personally making fun of me, like mocking us. The second they announced him I was in denial and when they showed him
with that same yellow guitar
my wife and I looked at each other and said, "Oh fuck me!" It even had the same inexplicable bass and drum parts come in despite there being no other players, yet it had the, creepy, backup singers
for Maddy and Donna
, recreating all that's wrong with it perfectly! AND THAT VOICE, THAT SAME VOICE! It couldn't only be more absurd
coming out of 50-something James
and Lynch knows it! :mozgus:

Welcome Griff, to the glory of watching Twin Peaks LIVE! :ganishka:

I DID IT!
gutsbarf.gif
thumbup.gif

I think I picked a bad time to catch up; wish I'd been here for the episode 8 event. Also, I know you haven't followed it, but watch the last half tonight's Game of Thrones for contrast. :ganishka: It's not fair since that show had 60+ episodes, and plenty of stinkers among them, to reach this point, but it also has more episodes remaining to actually pay things off. It'd be a shame if everything is basically being deferred until the, hopefully extended, finale. It'd be season 2-esque if it ultimately goes down that way.

Anyway, whoo boy... another episode where I'm counting the minutes rather than being engaged in each scene. 15 minutes of arm rasslin, 15 minutes of Tom Sizemore antics. 5 minutes of James' song. Bye bye most of the episode.

Yeah, it was like episode 12.5, though an improvement still.
More Coop, evil or otherwise, is always better, but yeah, the arm wrestling went on forover, and though the tension actually got to me to the point my heart was pounding, the result was a bit anticlimactic (you knew he'd win impressively, but I was expecting him to rip the guy's arm right off =). Otherwise, my biggest takeaway is real Coop is actually making no tangible progress and despite the time spent they're dragging this out to the point it's going to go from feeling earned to arbitrary and short shrift when he wakes up... IF he wakes up. Surprise, no Harry OR Coop in the new TP! :magni:

Still, some revelations. We know a bit more about the ring's powers. It seems to bind souls to the Lodge. That tracks with what happened with Laura (which also prevented Bob from possessing her).
Hey Ray, you probably should have followed orders about putting the ring on Evil Coop, especially whem things got weird. I wonder if EC/Bob is unkillable/unstoppable unless banished to the lodge. It's certainly not looking fair if and when the Coops have a showdown.

Also, I wonder about Audrey's scenes now, after her thought about not feeling herself. Last we heard from her, she was in a bank explosion... Hmm...
VengeanceQuest982 said:
...After tonight's episode I am fully convinced that
all the Audrey Horne scenes are of a still very comatose Audrey living her worse nightmare of being married to a man as controlling as her father.

This makes sense with the way the scenes go round and round with her wanting to leave but ultimately staying...
But them making sense isn't a strong argument for what's what on this show. Also, her dad turned into a real mensch by the end of season 2 and she had made her peace with him. Also, who birthed Richard then, Audrey via coma, Donna, or Johnny?

BOB is one slippery dude in evading being caught by The Black Lodge. The looping sound Sarah Palmer's tv made sounds exactly like the record player sound in season 2 preceding BOB's carnage so I figure next week is the 10.1 episode.

I was so hoping for something to happen then, a crazy vision of Laura ala Gordon, the horse, or some Leland/Bob/black lodge invasion but no such luck. I was hoping this week's episode was to capitalize on the last by blowing our minds, but now I have no such expectation, "fool me once..." So, basically, now Lynch has me right where he wants me. =)

Griffith

SuperVegetto said:
Well, the next one might blow your minds. Why? Sky serien in Germany showed the next episode by mistake.

At least "Twin Peaks Leaks" makes for a good headline, and some of that sweet leak publicity to hopefully pull it out of this second half slump. I wish they'd just add it on my Amazon/Showtime account now.

Top Bottom