Twin Peaks Returns

Griffith said:
I hope that's somehow by design or all part of the plan, or maybe there is no plan and that can be fine too, but it's not unfair to wonder.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you're watching it wrong or anything, it's just that a lot of the best parts for me are seemingly disconnected to the overall plot so far, like the traffic jam feat. zombie kid and Candie's scenes. And it makes no difference to me if they're further explored in later episodes or not. Then again I loved Steven and his gross face's vacuous story and how nightmarish and anxiety inducing his last scene was so maybe I'm just an easy target for Lynch's usual themes.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Eluvei said:
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you're watching it wrong or anything, it's just that a lot of the best parts for me are seemingly disconnected to the overall plot so far, like the traffic jam feat. zombie kid and Candie's scenes. And it makes no difference to me if they're further explored in later episodes or not.
Well, maybe I am doing it wrong since until you mentioned her I forgot about Candie (who I also like)! But I'm with you on her and zombie kid and those other surreal little slices of life there for their own sake. It's not that I need them explored further or to mean something either, but I guess in the early going I felt those moments fit in like window dressing that complimented and enhanced the larger framework, or at least what I perceived to be a larger framework, which seems to have come apart recently so it's almost like a Missing Pieces-style compilation of scenes. Instead of getting the best of both worlds between hard plot and other story elements I'm not being satisfied by either now, like they're working against each other instead of in concert. IDK, it won't take much to get me to sing a different tune and reconsider these episodes depending on if there's a method to this particular madness and/or where we're headed with it. I guess I just fear it's actually nowhere, "Good to see you again, hope you enjoyed zombie kid, didn't Bobby turn out alright, Ed & Norma awww, now back to the lodge for another 25 years going on forever."

Eluvei said:
Then again I loved Steven and his gross face's vacuous story and how nightmarish and anxiety inducing his last scene was so maybe I'm just an easy target for Lynch's usual themes.

Well, now I know you're really a sick puppy. =) Yeah, I'm not a fan, though I did enjoy that last scene on the condition its his last (though I assumed he was ultimately going to cause more trouble for Bobby et all). What do you think of the nevergoing saga of Charlie and Audrey? My problem isn't with Charlie, like you I sort of think he fits, but what the hell has become of/are they doing with Audrey?

Griffith said:
Update: Using the Twin Peaks Survival Guide Grail posted as a template, I decided to rate the episodes of The Return:

tprsorecard.jpg

Feel free to disagree, I'm largely going off memory and double checking some episode summaries to job it, there's plenty of episodes that could be downgraded (possibly 4-6) or upgraded (particularly 13 and 15), which would indicate a more balanced season... but nah, I think I'm pretty much right. =)
Swap the rating of episode 14 with that of 15 and you'll have it right

Griffith

SuperVegetto said:
Swap the rating of episode 14 with that of 15 and you'll have it right

I'd take it, but I wouldn't want to upset Sarah Palmer... :magni:

Like I said in my initial thoughts on the episode, I'm probably being hard on 15, considering everything it has to offer, because of mounting uneasiness about the overall narrative. That might be unfair on an individual episode basis, but it might not; a good episode in the "first act" isn't necessarily a good episode in the second or third act and vice versa, but then maybe I'm just being reductive.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think that list is pretty solid, Griff, though I'll admit to forgetting what happened in Eps 9-10.

I wouldn't say I'm angry at the show, just a little disappointed that I don't have strong feelings one way or the other anymore. I feel like the show has squandered much of the goodwill it garnered in the early episodes, when I was more forgiving of its meandering way of telling its story. Recently I've found myself looking at the time while watching, thinking "wow, 20 more minutes of this, huh? Minus 5-6 minutes of the Roadhouse music video." That certainly wasn't happening in the first 6 episodes or so, and it's definitely changed how I've felt about the whole thing. I don't know if that's on the show for being inconsistent or me for being foolish in hoping for more. A lot hangs on these final episodes to turn that sentiment around.

And I'm even okay with virtually no "answers," since that's never what compelled me about Twin peaks to begin with. And so much of the lore is explained in the margins, not on the screen (though I maintain that if Lynch and Frost were going to re-open Twin Peaks as a story, I'd expect a few more answers) I just want to enjoy the show again.

Eluvei said:
Then again I loved Steven and his gross face's vacuous story and how nightmarish and anxiety inducing his last scene was so maybe I'm just an easy target for Lynch's usual themes.

I guess I just don't know what his story was supposed to do for the audience. And also, I was premature in implying that Steven is DEFINITELY dead and written out of the story. We saw Carl being informed about the incident, and there's a chance he'll encounter something in the woods in the next episode (or the next).

Griffith

Walter said:
I think that list is pretty solid, Griff, though I'll admit to forgetting what happened in Eps 9-10.

Thanks, and frankly those two episodes could possibly be downgraded to sketchy for all that happens in them, but were riding the high of episode 8; maybe 9 is still ok/gets a pass for sort of resetting the plot from there, but 10 is an awful lot of Richard Horne and the Mitchum brothers and would be a lot more galling now than it was 5(!) episodes ago.

Walter said:
I wouldn't say I'm angry at the show, just a little disappointed that I don't have strong feelings one way or the other anymore. I feel like the show has squandered much of the goodwill it garnered in the early episodes, when I was more forgiving of its meandering way of telling its story. Recently I've found myself looking at the time while watching, thinking "wow, 20 more minutes of this, huh? Minus 5-6 minutes of the Roadhouse music video." That certainly wasn't happening in the first 6 episodes or so, and it's definitely changed how I've felt about the whole thing. I don't know if that's on the show for being inconsistent or me for being foolish in hoping for more. A lot hangs on these final episodes to turn that sentiment around.

And I'm even okay with virtually no "answers," since that's never what compelled me about Twin peaks to begin with. And so much of the lore is explained in the margins, not on the screen (though I maintain that if Lynch and Frost were going to re-open Twin Peaks as a story, I'd expect a few more answers) I just want to enjoy the show again.

Yeah, I don't actually need or expect some all-important, mind-blowing revelation(s), episode 8 or 22 from season 2 are the exceptions, not the rule, and I was fine with the pace and everything in the first half of the season, whether it was central to the "main plot" or not; it was all compelling to me but that fascination just hasn't carried over into the double digits though. It's as simple as I enjoyed the first half and the second half not so much, and I don't know if that's me getting too lazily plot-focused and taking it for granted or them running out of A material (you said it in the beginning, maybe 18 episodes is too much). Anyway, it doesn't have to be some epic, prestige TV bullshit to be damn fine, but I also don't want it to end up feeling like Whose Line Is It Anyway?, "the show where everything's made up and the points don't matter!"

Walter said:
We saw Carl being informed about the incident, and there's a chance he'll encounter something in the woods in the next episode (or the next).

I'm glad we both can't help ourselves, "something good is going to happen, something bigger is going to come of this... sometime!" Except we're running out of time, because while there's technically 3 parts left, according to the scheduling 17 & 18 are both on September 3rd and most assuredly comprise the feature length finale, so it better be next week or the next, because that's IT!

Griffith said:
Well, now I know you're really a sick puppy. =) Yeah, I'm not a fan, though I did enjoy that last scene on the condition its his last (though I assumed he was ultimately going to cause more trouble for Bobby et all). What do you think of the nevergoing saga of Charlie and Audrey? My problem isn't with Charlie, like you I sort of think he fits, but what the hell has become of/are they doing with Audrey?

The three scenes we had so far were perfect as far as I'm concerned. If it stops there, I'm fine with it, completely satisfied with leaving the mystery of her situation unsolved. There was an explosion in the building she was in, and next thing we know she's in that situation; I love it. It's a little obvious that it's been written to appear like a weird fever dream, like Audrey is trapped somehow and Charlie has some sort of control over the situation, what with his inaction and the odd things he says in episode 13. This sort of thing fits into the image I have of this series, and I'd be a little disappointed if she's suddenly woken up or if we get a shot of her in a hospital bed or something. Not unlike the dude selling his blood, or the Roadhouse ending sequences, I like them as stand-alone vignettes (and I call them vignettes in a non-pejorative sense). Basically, my favorite parts are a mix of Dumbland/Out Yonder and Mulholland Drive, and I think Audrey's scenes are pretty much that.

For the record, I dislike most of the FBI sequences. I don't like the presence of the female agent, and I'm not a fan of Diane either. I roll my eyes whenever they make some kind of discovery, or straight up say shit like what Blue Rose means, which was my least favorite part of this thing so far along with Duchovny's scene.

Griffith said:
I'm glad we both can't help ourselves, "something good is going to happen, something bigger is going to come of this... sometime!" Except we're running out of time, because while there's technically 3 parts left, according to the scheduling 17 & 18 are both on September 3rd and most assuredly comprise the feature length finale, so it better be next week or the next, because that's IT!

That's basically the opposite of how I'm feeling. I hope Cole falls into a hole and dies, and we get more Whose Line Is It Anyway sketches before it's too late.
:ganishka:

Griffith

Eluvei said:
The three scenes we had so far were perfect as far as I'm concerned. If it stops there, I'm fine with it, completely satisfied with leaving the mystery of her situation unsolved. There was an explosion in the building she was in, and next thing we know she's in that situation; I love it. It's a little obvious that it's been written to appear like a weird fever dream, like Audrey is trapped somehow and Charlie has some sort of control over the situation, what with his inaction and the odd things he says in episode 13. This sort of thing fits into the image I have of this series, and I'd be a little disappointed if she's suddenly woken up or if we get a shot of her in a hospital bed or something. Not unlike the dude selling his blood, or the Roadhouse ending sequences, I like them as stand-alone vignettes (and I call them vignettes in a non-pejorative sense). Basically, my favorite parts are a mix of Dumbland/Out Yonder and Mulholland Drive, and I think Audrey's scenes are pretty much that.

Clearly we are the Yin and Yang of Twin Peaks viewing experiences. Though, when Audrey kept arguing with Charlie instead of just stepping out the door I experienced a strange mix of both dissatisfaction and fulfilled expectations, and knew I would have also been disappointed if she'd left and broken the illusion and rules of what I thought I was seeing, which is that she can't. This feeling... is maddening (just imagine Lynch's face inside that helmet =).

Eluvei said:
For the record, I dislike most of the FBI sequences. I don't like the presence of the female agent, and I'm not a fan of Diane either. I roll my eyes whenever they make some kind of discovery, or straight up say shit like what Blue Rose means, which was my least favorite part of this thing so far along with Duchovny's scene.

Yeah, Duchovny's scene did nothing to move the plot or provide an interesting interlude in and of itself, it was just there to bring David Duchovny back for a hot minute. Though, I disagree about the Blue Rose, not because I wanted them to explain that, but because that rather overt explanation reveals that those characters know a lot more about what's going on with Coop(s) than one may have thought. As in, exactly what's going on rather than, "GEE, GOSH, SOMETHING'S NOT RIGHT!?"

Eluvei said:
That's basically the opposite of how I'm feeling. I hope Cole falls into a hole and dies, and we get more Whose Line Is It Anyway sketches before it's too late.

Well, then you've loved the second half because that's essentially what's happened save for Part 14. I mean, I guess it's no less strange that it was essentially The Gordon Cole Show for a while too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Early on, there was a theory thrown around on Reddit that Richard Horne was the child of Mr. C and Audrey Horne. I disregarded it at the time for a few reasons. First, it's downright disgusting if Audrey was indeed in a coma when Mr. C did ...that (though we do know he visited the hospital after that incident). Second, the idea came from Richard's erratic, maniacal behavior, but that's explained in one of Audrey's first lines to Cooper: "emotional problems run in my family." Third, how utterly cruel it'd be for Audrey... But over the past two episodes, we've seen Richard and Mr. C paired together, and now they're riding in the same truck. And the last thing Richard said to him was "Audrey Horne." I'm really starting to worry...

Griffith

Walter said:
Early on, there was a theory thrown around on Reddit that Richard Horne was the child of Mr. C and Audrey Horne.

:???:

Walter said:
I disregarded it at the time for a few reasons. First, it's downright disgusting if Audrey was indeed in a coma when Mr. C did ...that (though we do know he visited the hospital after that incident).

:isidro:

Walter said:
Second, the idea came from Richard's erratic, maniacal behavior, but that's explained in one of Audrey's first lines to Cooper: "emotional problems run in my family." Third, how utterly cruel it'd be for Audrey...

:azan:

Walter said:
But over the past two episodes, we've seen Richard and Mr. C paired together, and now they're riding in the same truck. And the last thing Richard said to him was "Audrey Horne." I'm really starting to worry...

:magni:

David Lynch: :rakshas:

Sarah Palmer being possessed isn't something that was created for this season it was something seeded within the 1st 2 seasons of the show. If you recall what she says at the RR Diner in the season 2 finale "I'm in The Black Lodge with agent Cooper" and in 3x15 it confirms the Jumping Man is inside her. That and remember episode 3 when we were 1st shown Dougie while Cooper was in that dimension with Naido in the room that had alternating numbers on the wall : 3 (Dougie Arrival ). 15 (Dougie End). aka 3x15 The Return of Dale Cooper

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
VengeanceQuest982 said:
... Sarah Palmer being possessed isn't something that was created for this season it was something seeded within the 1st 2 seasons of the show.

...You've lost me, but at least I got to use my own patronizing ellipsis!

If you recall what she says at the RR Diner in the season 2 finale "I'm in The Black Lodge with agent Cooper" and in
3x15 it confirms the Jumping Man is inside her.

I recall that scene, but it's ambiguous. It doesn't mean she's been possessed all this time. She could have been used as a medium for whatever was communicating from the Black Lodge at that time (taunting Briggs -- who else but Windom Earle). Possessed later? Possibly. The connective tissue since the beginning with Sarah through the Return is that damned fan.

That and remember episode 3 when we were 1st shown Dougie while Cooper was in that dimension with Naido in the room that had alternating numbers on the wall : 3 (Dougie Arrival ). 15 (Dougie End). aka 3x15 The Return of Dale Cooper

That's seriously off the deep end, dude. What makes you think Lynch hides clues in season+episode numbers? I think you've been reading too much Reddit.

Griffith

VengeanceQuest982 said:
Sarah Palmer being possessed isn't something that was created for this season it was something seeded within the 1st 2 seasons of the show. If you recall what she says at the RR Diner in the season 2 finale "I'm in The Black Lodge with agent Cooper" and in 3x15 it confirms the Jumping Man is inside her. That and remember episode 3 when we were 1st shown Dougie while Cooper was in that dimension with Naido in the room that had alternating numbers on the wall : 3 (Dougie Arrival ). 15 (Dougie End). aka 3x15 The Return of Dale Cooper

Very interesting, especially her Lodge line from season 2, but what confirms it's The Jumping Man we see in Part 14? ...

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/discuss/twin-peaks-part-15/jumping-man-sarah-palmer/

Oh.

In any case, it's interesting to take a look back at the ol' lodge and see some of the familiar faces in there:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NfHvGvByZQI/U8U8UCsnEiI/AAAAAAAAAuU/Rt2fZCS2XgA/s1600/24_-_Jumping_Man_-_Smoke_Crate.png

Those beardos didn't stand out so much before!

Walter said:
I recall that scene, but it's ambiguous. It doesn't mean she's been possessed all this time. She could have been used as a medium for whatever was communicating from the Black Lodge at that time (taunting Briggs -- who else but Windom Earle). Possessed later? Possibly.

Yeah, I definitely think it's a struggle within based on what we're seeing and clearly the entire Palmer family is cursed with this shit somehow. I don't know if it's innate or they were "corrupted" through their various connections to Bob, Laura or Sarah if she was that girl who ate the bug-frog.

Walter said:
That's seriously off the deep end, dude. What makes you think Lynch hides clues in season+episode numbers? I think you've been reading too much Reddit.

I could be wrong in my interpretation of his post (or recollection of episode 3), but my reading of it was he was talking about the numbers on the huge electrical socket wall, which if I recall changed between 3 and 15 during the whole Cooper/Dougie transition and even at the time it felt like something had clearly gone amiss. If I recall there was a clock displayed during the scene so in the moment I thought it had to do with time, like maybe it was the wrong time or something needed to happen at 3:15, but this idea definitely has more potential.

Most people thought the
Fireman was the kind of fireman who puts fires out but based on the locomotive/train themes around his house + that Jeffries tea kettle which is actually one of those locomotive things it's becoming increasingly clear that The Fireman is one who stokes fire. What does that entail? After all: "Fire is like the devil, coward who hides behind the smoke"

Griffith

https://twitter.com/emilyorelse/status/894343665941966848

Also, I don't necessarily agree with everything in this article, but the subject is definitely interesting and worthwhile considering Lynch's role designing the sound of the show:

http://www.avclub.com/if-you-want-to-understand-what-s-going-on-in-twin-peaks-1798362242

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm glad someone decided to hit the go button finally. :daiba:

Cooper is back ("finally" :ganishka:), and he doesn't miss a goddamned thing. He doesn't need anyone to catch him up on events. He's good to go. Let's transform and roll out motherfuckers, we've only got 3 episodes left.

Diane was a "tulpa" all along, like Dougie. Evil Coop was indeed the father of Richard Horne, which means he raped Audrey (and Diane, apparently, with a hint that Bob was part of it -- his face/smile -- CHRIST). Anything else you'd like to cash in on this payday episode, Mr. Lynch?!

Griffith

100%
thumbup.gif

Walter said:
Well, I'm glad someone decided to hit the go button finally. :daiba:

Does it bother you at all that this could have been the 3rd or 4th episode and gone from there? :ganishka:

Walter said:
Cooper is back ("finally" :ganishka:), and he doesn't miss a goddamned thing. He doesn't need anyone to catch him up on events. He's good to go. Let's transform and roll out motherfuckers, we've only got 3 episodes left.

Diane was a "tulpa" all along, like Dougie. Evil Coop was indeed the father of Richard Horne, which means he raped Audrey (and Diane, apparently, with a hint that Bob was part of it -- his face/smile -- CHRIST). Anything else you'd like to cash in on this payday episode, Mr. Lynch?!

Yeah, and only two left now, and it's over next week, so it's more like one with this being the de facto penultimate episode, so it's ending just as it truly begins (yeah, I'm sure I'll read somewhere why the last 14 episodes were the real point and possibly greatest expression of art ever made and this part is actually what's perfunctory, but I'm an unwashed plebe that just wanted Coop back =). Cooper was like 110% though, making up for lost time I suppose (and he literally did come out of a fucking coma =), but I think Audrey's dance at the end was like peak Peaks and the moment you knew, "We're really back now, baby!" THE RETURN!

Updated The Return scorecard now including episode 16 (no surprises here =):

tprsorecard.jpg

Another fantastic episode. Dern was great in this one.
Every death was incredible, loved the street shootout. Jerry with the damn binoculars. Cole standing around listening to the machines. The hilariously cheap twitching effects on Diane's shoulders before the orb came out of her. How is this show so good? I'm gonna rewatch it immediately after the finale.

Griffith

Eluvei said:
Every death was incredible, loved the street shootout.

Yes, that was quite the unexpectedly welcome resolution to all that.

Eluvei said:
Jerry with the damn binoculars. Cole standing around listening to the machines.

Yes, and yes, through which Cole was seemingly hearing Coop's heart monitor somehow.

Eluvei said:
The hilariously cheap twitching effects on Diane's shoulders before the orb came out of her.

OMG yes, it was like getting ahead of the memes and incorporating them right into the show! Lynch is doing his own youtube poop. I also loved it. :guts:

Eluvei said:
How is this show so good? I'm gonna rewatch it immediately after the finale.

C'mon man, no thoughts on "Audrey's dance?" Were you at least double faked out for like a second before that while she was listening to Eddie Vedder, er, I mean, Robert Louis Severson? :ganishka:

Griffith said:
Yes, and yes, through which Cole was seemingly hearing Coop's heart monitor somehow.

And when Coop's about to wake up, Bushnell hears the tone from the Great Northern, right? "Listen to the sounds." :SK:

Griffith said:
OMG yes, it was like getting ahead of the memes and incorporating them right into the show! Lynch is doing his own youtube poop. I also loved it. :guts:

Yeah, it's hilarious. It oddly fits the show. It's both as shamelessly cheap as the stuff he made by himself in the post-Mulholland Drive years and reminiscent of his early short movies, but maybe because of the clarity and amount of detail from the high def digital cameras, it looks much worse, in a good way.

Griffith said:
C'mon man, no thoughts on "Audrey's dance?" Were you at least double faked out for like a second before that while she was listening to Eddie Vedder, er, I mean, Robert Louis Severson? :ganishka:

Hey, just wanted to mention the amazing scenes that would be stand-outs in a regular episode you'd paint yellow in your survival guide, but that had to coexist with Audrey and Coop waking up in this one. :iva: Yeah I thought for sure we'd all been fooled when she walked in while Big Ed Ved was playing his song. As soon as the guy announced "Audrey's dance" I started questioning what the hell has been real all this time. Were all the Roadhouse scenes, which often appeared to be somehow disconnected to the rest of the show in terms of characters, part of her dream? No, that makes no sense, there were familiar characters sometimes. What the fuck's going on? Best show of all time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
100%
thumbup.gif

Does it bother you at all that this could have been the 3rd or 4th episode and gone from there? :ganishka:

It was, in fact, the very first thing that passed through my mind after my elation at
Cooper's return subsided.

So if
Diane was a tulpa all along
, what was the point of her apparent relation to Janey-E? Was that real too, or another fabrication? One would have assumed that (or the ring inscription itself) would have led Gordon and his team to Cooper, but we saw how that search ended up.

I'm not entirely jazzed about the entire season wrapping up next week, even though this episode was firing on all cylinders. It seems to me that it's going to be over too quick, after too long waiting for things to start cranking.

Eluvei said:
And when Coop's about to wake up, Bushnell hears the tone from the Great Northern, right? "Listen to the sounds." :SK:

Yep, which confirms it to be a lodge manipulation (black or white?), but still sure what the sound in the Great Northern is supposed to represent, unless that's where shit is going to go down in Twin Peaks next ep.

Were all the Roadhouse scenes, which often appeared to be somehow disconnected to the rest of the show in terms of characters, part of her dream? No, that makes no sense, there were familiar characters sometimes. What the fuck's going on? Best show of all time.

Yeah, it doesn't really add up with the information we have right now. There were certainly "real" scenes that happened at the Roadhouse, since James and Hulk Hands were arrested for that fight. A number of possibilities remain.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Dammit. I didn't realize the two part final was the last two episodes on the same night. For some reason I was under the impression that we had two episodes left and the final would be a two parter, like an extra long episode, like Game of Thrones just did. But it'll be over this Sunday. Bummer!

But yea
Coopers return
was triumphantly awesome. After the blueballs from when I thought
Cooper
was returning after getting zapped, this was a jump up and yell type hype. I've been saying "100%" a lot the last few days with a thumbs up.

Griffith

Eluvei said:

Yeah, I noticed it seemed almost intentional there, like to lead Bushnell away, or it was just signaling
Coop's return
, Mike's drop in, and Busnell walking out was just lucky? It could be some combination that merely signals lodgeness is afoot. I dare not assume it's going to be revealed in the finale at the Great Northern.

Eluvei said:
Hey, just wanted to mention the amazing scenes that would be stand-outs in a regular episode you'd paint yellow in your survival guide, but that had to coexist with Audrey and Coop waking up in this one. :iva:

Pffff, more like RED, but I wouldn't because this one had a workable balance and framework within which it could effectively present those scenes, which is all I ask in lieu of entire episodes that feel like David Lynch's version of the last half hour of SNL, right down to the musical act. =)

Eluvei said:
Yeah I thought for sure we'd all been fooled when she walked in while Big Ed Ved was playing his song. As soon as the guy announced "Audrey's dance" I started questioning what the hell has been real all this time. Were all the Roadhouse scenes, which often appeared to be somehow disconnected to the rest of the show in terms of characters, part of her dream? No, that makes no sense, there were familiar characters sometimes. What the fuck's going on? Best show of all time.

Well, I'm guessing you're going to enjoy the finale no matter what unless it goes straight FBI plot (which is a virtual impossibility), and I think I will too now that it's setup to basically be the reunion movie anyone would have settled for before this limited series even started
(still bummed we won't see Harry + Coop again, or worse, Frank standing in for him). Part of me hopes the twist is that the finale is such a straightforward Coop investigated who-dun-it that it just completely ignores all these bizarre mysteries from the first 16 episodes, "I need to reopen the Laura Palmer case." "The Palmer murder, why?" "Because Laura Palmer isn't dead."

Walter said:
It was, in fact, the very first thing that passed through my mind after my elation at
Cooper's return subsided.

Right, wasn't there a teaser trailer where we basically see Coop driving to Twin Peaks?
Who know what was a spoiler from the finale. If he doesn't die on the way or something. =)

Walter said:
So if
Diane was a tulpa all along
, what was the point of her apparent relation to Janey-E? Was that real too, or another fabrication?

I think so, just to give us a very loose connection/explanation of the whole setup with Dougie by Evil Coop and Diane (also provided support for her being under his control and why it mattered earlier).

Walter said:
I'm not entirely jazzed about the entire season wrapping up next week, even though this episode was firing on all cylinders. It seems to me that it's going to be over too quick, after too long waiting for things to start cranking.

Oh yeah, there's way too much interesting stuff for them to spend too much time on any of it, so they either gotta go through it all bang, bang, bang, pick and choose what's important to focus on and ignore what's not, or just do something completely different. I'm guessing it will be the middle approach, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see
100% Coop
blazing through problems like a force of nature to reach our true final destination.

Walter said:
Yeah, it doesn't really add up with the information we have right now. There were certainly "real" scenes that happened at the Roadhouse, since James and Hulk Hands were arrested for that fight. A number of possibilities remain.

BTW, what's up with Billy? Is he the guy in the cell below the station repeating shit ala "Dougie Jones"? I thought people were talking about him at the Roadhouse, like getting hurt and arrested, as well as Audrey's preoccupation with him (if they're indeed the same Billy).

Oburi said:
Dammit. I didn't realize the two part final was the last two episodes on the same night. For some reason I was under the impression that we had two episodes left and the final would be a two parter, like an extra long episode, like Game of Thrones just did. But it'll be over this Sunday. Bummer!

I was hoping the same, but wishful thinking I suppose. Speaking of TP and Thrones (still love this headline =), talk about a tale of two seasons for these shows: one essentially spent 16 episodes smelling the roses, the plot coming and going almost incidentally, while the other was so destination driven the journey was hardly worth it. They both could have stood to improve by balancing those approaches better, especially Thrones (for all my gripes with the now traditional TP mid-season slump it was certainly better, more meaningful, and thought provoking on a whole other level than GoT ever was). Or one could just watch Rick & Morty, the best written, most consistent Sunday show on this year.

Oburi said:
But yea
Coopers return
was triumphantly awesome. After the blueballs from when I thought
Cooper
was returning after getting zapped, this was a jump up and yell type hype. I've been saying "100%" a lot the last few days with a thumbs up.

They missed the thumbs up in the perfect moment
after he said he was the FBI
!

thumbup.gif
:daiba:

This is going to be one of those moments we'll misremember with the thumbs up intact years from now. =) Anyway, some more food for thought going into the finale, these recaps are worth a read on the latest episode and the experience of the season, the fun and the frustrations, as a whole:

http://www.avclub.com/special-agent-dale-cooper-is-100-back-and-so-is-twin-p-1798483175

http://www.avclub.com/twin-peaks-speaks-for-us-all-finally-1798495858

Griffith said:
Well, I'm guessing you're going to enjoy the finale no matter what unless it goes straight FBI plot (which is a virtual impossibility)

Shit, now I'm worried. :azan:

Griffith said:
(still bummed we won't see Harry + Coop again, or worse, Frank standing in for him).

This is gonna be a piping hot take, but I don't really like Ontkean. Even in Slap Shot he looks absolutely disinterested and bored out of his mind. I'm not surprised at all he's retired and doesn't give a shit about this show, because that's what his face was telling me when he was "reacting" (I use the term liberally) to Coop or having a moment with Josie. I don't miss him at all. But yeah, Frank isn't the best idea, even if his Skype session is one of my favorite scenes this season. I'd much prefer Hawk being the sheriff or whatever. I've put this in spoiler tags so that at least a handful of people won't try to shoot me, not because it's a spoiler.

Griffith said:
Or one could just watch Rick & Morty, the best written, most consistent Sunday show on this year.

Man, I'm totally not on board with Rick and Morty this year. I think I only liked the pilot so far.

Griffith

Eluvei said:
Shit, now I'm worried. :azan:

2650170242.gif

This laughing gif is self-defeating though because, c'mon, you know there's going to be at least something like this in there. As a matter of fact... https://m.imgur.com/a/6XJCG

Yeah, no worries.

This is gonna be a piping hot take, but
This aught to be good... :zodd:

I don't really like Ontkean. Even in Slap Shot he looks absolutely disinterested and bored out of his mind. I'm not surprised at all he's retired and doesn't give a shit about this show, because that's what his face was telling me when he was "reacting" (I use the term liberally) to Coop or having a moment with Josie. I don't miss him at all.

I dont disagree with your assessment per se, but I thought his faux-affable stiffness was part of the charm (figured he'd be up your alley, but I guess he's too straightforward and not bad enough to be interesting or good bad). He's also Coop's sidekick and foil, it's really the team chemistry and Coop's comradery I'll miss (though we already got a bit of that back with Bushnell and the Mitchums).

But yeah, Frank isn't the best idea, even if his Skype session is one of my favorite scenes this season. I'd much prefer Hawk being the sheriff or whatever.

Some of Eluvei's other favorite scenes: Jacoby painting shovels, sweeping man, Candie being slow, Sarah Palmer watching TV, Steven inaubly mumbling. Why don't you just admit you secretly hate Cooper too and your real reason for watching the show is Heidi and her laugh! I'm onto you.

I've put this in spoiler tags so that at least a handful of people won't try to shoot me, not because it's a spoiler.

Good call, I've followed suit and tagged my replies as well, just in case.
thumbup.gif

Man, I'm totally not on board with Rick and Morty this year. I think I only liked the pilot so far.

I disagree on an episode by episode basis, but I can understand this for the season as a whole (though your objections might be different, YMMV, etc). It's been too much of a normally good thing, like every episode is some deep, dark exploration and deconstruction of the characters, until literally becoming so in the most recent episode, but you can't do that every time out. A little of that goes a long way, like a few big emotional moments or payoffs per season, but it's kind of taking over the show to the point the adventures themselves are suffering and its ironically becoming flat and repetitive with depth. In any case, with the time they took to write it and these results I think they're trying too hard and won't be able to sustain it. The show is still relatively fresh and in it's prime and I feel like they could dial back the quality/quantity ratio a bit and put out more great episodes before they burn out trying to make every one more significant than the last (this is what happened to Gn'R on the Use Your Illusions albums =). I never thought I'd say this but we need an Interdimensional Cable episode (that somehow doesn't devolve into self-loathing).

Top Bottom